October 20, 2014 | 1538 users online

Moisturizers - Alpha Hydrox - Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2013 3:19:00 AM More reviews by FearlessBarb

This is the best skin care product I have used. Great for wrinkles, acne, whatever you've got, fit this into your routine. It is an excellent exfoliator gently removing those dead skin cells that nobody likes. Excellent value too. I find it at Walgreens and Bed Bath AND Beyond. It will make your skin smoother and clearer. It does smell pretty bad but you can get past that. It's worth it. GO GET SOME!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by edtennisbabe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I would characterize this as giving me a crescendo burn. I would put this on before bed. It wouldn't sting too much upon the initial application. Five minutes later my face would be so uncomfortable that I had to focus on taking deep breaths and not rubbing my face. I have sensitive skin, but I've tolerated peels and Retin-A Mirco pretty well. I persisted in using this product because I though my skin would "adjust." I ended up giving myself a chemical burn/rash on my neck (from where it migrated down from my face while sleeping) and really hurting my skin. People seem to love this but my experience wasn't so great.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:22:00 PM More reviews by greatskin4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

using it in combination with 10% cream. it does wonders for my skin. i highly recommend it to everyone.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by Ultraviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

While I want to give this product a five, unfortunately it produced a rash on my face within hours of each application I've tried. After my initial use of the lotion, it took a little over a week for the rash to fully disappear. Given that I was also exposed to several allergens when I began using the lotion, I figured I'd give it another chance as I assumed the rash was my skin reacting to another irritant.

After trying the lotion again this morning, I noticed the rash again after two hours on all areas where I applied the lotion (my face, neck and decolletage). I immediately applied a hydrocortisone gel to stave off an extended reaction period, which has already begun to reduce the rash's appearance (my skin turned a slight beet-ish burgundy) and breadth (some areas already have significantly reduced inflammation).

If you're remotely unsure of whether you have sensitive skin, please initially apply this lotion to a small, non-visible area of your body which has skin similar to your face. I make this distinction as I'm going to attempt using the lotion on thicker-skinned areas such as my elbows and knees. I don't want to throw it out, as the reviews clearly indicate that the formulation is effective. It's just too strong for my sensitive facial area.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Bubblygal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was suffering from mild acne just after stopping my birth control pills. I came across this product & gave it a try.I was using this lotion along with the facial cleanser. It was making my skin dry probably cause my face became super oily resulting in clogged pores and more breakouts. Not to mention my entire face covered with small but in-numerous number of pimples/acne. I still continued the product as people say any acne product kicks in after couple of months. It was making my sensitive skin super sensitive. My acne prone area became red permanently. I could not go out without using makeup. I used this product for around 6 months with no positive sign. Finally I gave up using the product. Now I have clearer skin but acne have left loads of marks on my skin.
If your skin is sensitive I would not recommend this product..

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 1:31:00 AM More reviews by theopenwindowmaniac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Love this lotion! It has 10% glycolic acid and a pH of 4, which is a concentration and pH to be an effective exfoliant. If you are older and need heavier duty AHA, I would recommend the 12% AHA soufflé, but this lotion would still work well. I would definitely recommend this lotion to younger people and those with sensitive skin. People on a budget will also like the lotion better than the jarred creams because there is a lot of product (6 oz) in the bottle. I purchased it for about $8 at Walgreens, so it definitely isn't too expensive, especially for so much product.
For best results, I recommend keeping the bottle stored in the box it comes in. Even though the bottle isn't totally see through, it's not totally opaque either. Exposure to light can break down small acids, so I would keep it in the box. Also, for best exfoliation + blackhead control, use this product in conjunction with a BHA. AHA is great for cell turnover, whilst BHA gets down into pores and removes the trapped dead skin and oil. A great BHA on the cheap is Clean & Clear's Advantage Oil Absorbing Treatment. It's free of irritants and has 2% salicylic acid, which is an effective concentration. The best part however, is that it's about $7.
Anyway, I know this review is about the Alpha Hydrox lotion, but I just wanted to add that bit about using a good BHA as well for best results. As a final note, this lotion can produce a strong tingle. It can potentially be a bit uncomfortable, but it subsides very quickly.

I highly recommend Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Enhanced Lotion :)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2013 10:59:00 PM More reviews by bebedejuin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After battling excessively dry skin this winter and trying numerous moisturizers, I can happily say this is the ONLY product that got rid of my dry, flaky skin once and for all! Even after only one use, I knew I had finally found a winner. Yes, it smells like glue, but every time I use this I'm amazed at how soft and glowing it leaves my face. This works best on my driest areas: my t-zone. (I'm weird and have normal cheeks and a dry t-zone) My less dry cheeks might purge a little from this; I can't tell if it's this lotion or my blush that's causing a VERY minor breakout. My problem areas are baby soft and it even helps my dry scaly patch between my eyebrows that crops up now and again. I do not experience any warmth or tingling sensations, nor any redness. It also helps clear blackheads on my nose and chin. Most days I can get by with using this as my moisturizer rather than a pre-moisturizing treatment. I cannot stress how amazed I am at this since I had so much trouble earlier this year. My makeup goes on quite smoothly now. I only wish it had more of a matte coverage because it can make me a little too dewy by mid-day. The bottle will probably last a year since I now only need a thin layer 2x a day for good results. If your skin is not sensitive I highly recommend this!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by MeggieBeth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've tried this product twice now and discontinued use both times, a full month the first time and three days the second. There are a few reasons why and they are as follows:

1. The smell is just terrible. Really. It's sharp and acidic (in an acid, go figure) and generally unpleasant.
2. The "tingle" is a burning, painful sensation and you may become desensitized to it over time, but you HAVE to keep using it in order for that to happen.
3. The chemical burns. If you use this too much, you poor thing. My neck was a horrible wash of rashes followed by peeling skin. Very pretty. It will also seep into the creases around your eyes, even if you give it a ton of space around them and this makes any facial movements painful.
4. The "purging", which I daftly tried to convince myself was OK. It wasn't, what was happening was my skin trying to push this stuff out! Apparently contact dermatitis looks a lot like purging. And so do chemical burns.

But here's the thing, I KEPT trying. Because for a little while (the first week) my skin looked really good. It was glowing and beautiful and (little did I know) about to go rapidly downhill. This is why you should ALWAYS wait at least two weeks to review something because that's how long it will take your skin to properly react (I realize I said I only used it three days the second time, but that was due to the chemical burns). And now I know this is something it reacts poorly to.

I give it two for these reasons; it's affordable and your skin will look great for a week, but if your skin is tougher than mine and can handle AHA (oh, how I envy you!) and you can overlook the smell, "tingle," and purging (that happens each time you stop and then start use again, even after only a couple days) this could be a useful lotion for you. Paula's Choice gave it a "good" rating, I give it a "good riddance."

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by MacPops

This stuff is so hit or miss. It basically eats my face off and even after using for a month, my skin just can't adjust to it. It either makes my skin look great or like an absolute mess of flakes. I used it on my neck at night and I got a bit sweaty before I woke up as the heat was on too high. I suffered a chemical burn. Mild as it was, it looked terrible and I wore a scarf around my neck until it dried up and sloughed off. Needless to say, if this stuff works for you, great. It doesn't work for me. I'll use it on my feet or something. I'll stick to my Somme Institute A-Bomb. Yes, it's expensive, but you usually get what you pay for. Not always (la Mer), but usually.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2013 10:32:00 PM More reviews by oldejude

Run, don't walk. I am over fifty and still break out. I should say not anymore. My skin care routine is once a day neutrogena grapefruit face scrub/ wash in the shower. Aveeno blemish control moisturizer. At night I use a say yes cleaning wipe and alpha Hydrox lotion. No acne whatsoever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No