December 18, 2014 | 1671 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Coco

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2012 3:14:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This fragrance reminds me of a mature, very sophisticated woman in an expensive wool suit. As one reviewer said, it's the fragrance she would wear for confidence if she was joining a group of women who had been taking ballet since the age of 2. The reviewer captured it well. It's not a sexy scent. It's not a scent I would wear in the daytime; it's an oriental, heavy night-time scent for sophisticated wear. It'd be a great fragrance for the right person, just not for me. (It's the kind of fragrance that would make me feel like the fragrance was wearing me instead of me wearing the fragrance.)

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 6:37:00 AM More reviews by moomooknickers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A classic. Suits me more now that i'm in my 30's.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 3:14:00 AM More reviews by babsvs

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The first time I tested Coco, the Chanel counter at Macy's was a simple, uncluttered oasis of refinement. Scents for women included No. 5, No. 19, Cristalle and Coco. That was about it. Coco was always the odd duck of the group, an elegent oriental amid the aldehydic softness of the rest of the Chanel range. To put it another way, I tend to like my Orientals skanky. I believe JP Guerlain once said that all of his scents had the touch of his mistress's orifaces. I always held Coco's, for lack of a better word, hygiene, against it. I still do.

The opening, with its coriander fruit, rose and jasmine progresses beautifully into the heart, with its spicy clove. If Coco was a race car, it would shift gears without the slightest bump, from its spicy rose top to its spicy rose heart.

There is a place in my fragrance wardrobe for Coco. If I am going to the kind of event attended by women who studied ballet since age 2, and went to a seven sister's college, Coco gives me some self confidence. When I sniff it on myself, I can kind of talk myself into believing that I am poised and refined. Unfortunately, I also feel kind of boring in Coco.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by stls

Coco is a warm, soothing, deep spicy rose for me.
Embodies the spirit of a long lost glamorous era and creates a comforting spicy aura around you.
Makes me slightly melancholic.
I don't find it sexy or sensual (at least not in a sex kitten or a dominatrix way)
I imagine that it would be the scent of a strong woman that everyone would respect and admire.
Seriously classy.
Impossible to forget.
Old school perfume drug.
Test with caution.

Edit: I was quite emotional while writing the above (ah, under the spell of Coco!) so I think I should add a few more words.
Coco was formulated 28 years ago. When you smell right from the bottle you may get a dated feeling but don't be fooled, take your time. Coco is not for the impatient but for those who can feel her glory. After all this is not an air refresher, it's a real perfume made to reveal its beauty when melt on the skin and become part of you.
Oh, my Lord, those spices and amber make my heart sink and the world feels better when I smell this masterpiece blended to perfection...
Coco is a legendary beauty, the Queen Of Spicy Florientals. She is The One. The extraordinary heroin remembered for ever as stunning, independent, passionate, has experienced life with highs and lows, knows who she is and what she deserves. Full of class, strength and intelligence.
Many women save Coco for special occasions. I can see why. Coco is special, no doubt. But I wouldn't wait for a special day to wear Coco. I would wear Coco every day and make it special.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2012 10:15:00 PM More reviews by suemazrn

I was looking forward to sampling this but unfortunately it didn't work with my body chemistry. I believe I sampled the EDT. It started out spicy and warm but not wonderful. Then it dried down to a powdery, odd, soapy scent. My good friend actually thought it smelled like bacon on me!! It's amazing how different perfumes smell on different people. This friend owned and loved Coco and didn't even recognize it on me. That is why I always try before I buy, lol!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by Ravanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Hazel

I discovered Coco from Chanel when I was 21 in a duty free shop at the frankfurt airport. Chanel No5, which I liked very much, was the fragrance of my mother, my aunt and my granny, but I couldnīt wear it, it just wasnīt me. I didnīt know much about fragrances at this time, neither how to choose one for myself. Only because of knowing the brand Chanel, I checked, if they have a fragrance in their range beside No5 that would fit me.

I am glad, I did! For my opinion Coco is an ageless, elegant, mysterious oriental cat. Itīs full of "je ne sais quoi" without beeing too loud or offensive - if you know how to wear it. Coco will not tell you her whole story in one or two sentences, you need time to discover and to understand.

Coco starts with a flowery-spicey burst, youīll already recognize in the beginning, itīs a refined oriental fragrance. The heart: Flowers (I recognize Rose) and the spicey (Cinnamon?) Notes are becoming deeper. The basenote: A warm woody-sexy dry down with soft (!) patchouly, vanilla (or tonka bean) and other notes I canīt identify are creating a warm and velvet layer on my skin. Coco Eau de toilette is more lighter and powdery for my opinion, the Eau de Parfum is spicier, "deeper" (more patchouly?) and lasts longer on my skin (I have both versions).

Since I discovered this fragrance such a long time ago, I always own a bottle of Coco beside a more or less changing perfume wardrobe. Itīs quiet expensive, yes, but itīs worth every cent! I earn always compliments, when wearing Coco. I wore it on the first date with my husband and he still loves this "sexy, magical, mysterious" scent, he says!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by nahyt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE VINTAGE EDP VERSION OF COCO***

Coco is my holy grail perfume for when im feeling/dressing up in a low key femme fatale way. For me, Coco Chanel was love at first sniff. THIS is what i was expecting Aromatics elixir to smell like (based on how exoticly smokey the perfume ad implied). Clinique failed me, and i saw Coco on the "perfumes others liked" similar to aromatics elixir on fragantica. I bought it and now i am soo in love with coco! to me this is strictly a fall/winter/nighttime scent IMO. .Coco is THE classy/elegant and sexy scent. this is chanel n0 5's opposite sister. Coco is more daring. seductive,sensual,much less reserved.. as well as charming, witty yet still remaining completely elegant and classy.if you ever bump into the crazy party girl type wearing this (or N0 5) she's a damn poser. Coco chanel is not the club girl. nor the girl with one of those bad girls club type of personalities..The scent of COCO makes me think of brunettes.(not that blondes shouldn't wear it ). its just that Coco makes me think of colors like browns, black, reds etc . Coco is smokey, creamy, someone aged dark florals, with a nice somewhat sweet woodsy spice. i love the bottle and the color of the juice in it. it reminds me of whiskey in a tastefully designed whiskey decanter. if Chanel n0 5 is your holy grail, then i cannot imagine you liking this one.

EDIT:*** for those of you who have the vintage Coco edp, hold on to it reallll tight!. Coco edp has been reformulated some years ago (i had no idea), i purchased Coco edp at sephora last week and the perfume is nearly 100 % different from the 80's version.It smells great though. its more spicy(a sharp spice) its no longer "creamy" or "deep" not even floral to me. it smells kind of masculine now too, and somewhat fresh.. no longer dark, creamy florals and earthy like the vintage Coco. its more "modern". they both smell AMAZING in their own way. i just dont like that they changed the whole scent and are continuing to sell this as "COCO".they should have just changed the name to something else, and left the vintage Coco alone. i dont get why bother reformulating it anyway. so for those of you who adore your vintage coco edp, please know that the one sold in stores today IS NOT THE SAME .

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 6:18:00 PM More reviews by dreamsecurity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After several years of wearing Mademoiselle, I finally ran out. I went shopping with my husband, planning on getting a second bottle, but also open to any new suggestions. Absentmindedly, I spritzed Coco on one wrist and Mademoiselle on the other, then held up my arms for my husband to try. Without hesitation, he chose the one with Coco. I was surprised, since we're a young-ish couple and most guys I know favor scents that are foody, sweet, or flirty--none of which describe Coco. I asked for a sample and used it on and off for a week, in which time I rapidly fell in love with it.

Coco is not an "old lady" scent, contrary to what many would say (or have said). It is unabashedly womanly--this is not a scent for the coquette. I have a lot of playful scents that hint at femininity and fun, but Coco is for the woman who already knows who she is. She has no need for silly games. She is the type of woman who can feel just as sexy in a suit or pajamas as she does in a skintight cocktail dress.

This scent is definitely not for everyone, but for me, it's perfect. It doesn't just sit on my skin, but melts into it, leaving a creamy, smoky, spicy warmth. And if you try it and are disappointed that it just isn't for you, don't worry--I tried it in my early twenties, absolutely hated it, and never saw myself wearing it. After several years, I can finally appreciate it for all its beauty.

17 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 10:22:00 PM More reviews by pxcrunnercat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After being impressed with the likes of No. 5 and Allure, I had high hopes for Coco EDT. But alas, on me it smells like baby powder with a dash of some "spiciness" thrown in there. Adult baby powder if you will. Or a much, much less complex version of Opium. Which, to be fair, would probably totally rock on someone else's chemistry, perhaps it pulls spicier or more complex on other people. But as for me, it complimented neither my chemistry nor my personality. I should add though, that I've been completely hooked on a fabulous bottle of vintage Opium that I own, so it may be that I've been spoiled by the depth and complexity of that fragrance, which I consider to be very much like Coco (powdery and spicy) except much more complex and exotic. However, I hope to try the EDP formulation of Coco sometime soon and it's possible that I will have more luck with that. If I do, I'll update. Otherwise I'm going to have to peg this fragrance as solidly mediocre.

EDIT: I tried the EDP variety of this fragrance and let me tell you, there is a world of difference between the two concentrations. I absolutely love the EDP- it is all the spicy, earthy, mature floral goodness that I hoped for. I have gotten rid of the EDT perfume, but will cherish the EDP for years to come.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by eatmyshort

my friend is a fan of this perfume and she introduced me to coco chanel. First squirt, instantaneous head ache. It dries to a bug chemical spray or mosquito repellant cintronella. Definitely more a more matured woman. Maybe one day the scent will grow on me when my senses become dull through the ages.