April 17, 2014 | 1484 users online

Liquid - La Prairie - Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation SPF15

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2009 11:58:00 AM More reviews by tototoo

This stuff is Petrlatum with pigment added - seriously. The negatives I've had with it:
Goes on full coverage but sets to medium coverage.
Too much like actual vaseline on skin - never really does completely set for me.
It didn't help hide pores.
Color (porcelain blush) washed out complexion to a a gray/pink.
Pros - builds without cakiness but will not set to full.
Goes on soft and is easily spreadable.
If you have minimal flaws with poreless, dry skin, then this would probably look/feel beautiful.
P.S. - I purchased this from Strawberrynet. and I was billed for approx. $196. Even though the purchase price was advertised for much less and this amt was not disclosed during paypal checkout. I'm in the process of arguing over the bill. Beware.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2009 3:52:00 AM More reviews by candytufts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried my mom's for a week now and it's been awesome. I thought my chanel is it, until I tried this.

FIrst of all, I have oily skin and some dryness around the nose area. I get little bumps when I wear foundation everyday or for too long. That happens to chanel, laura mercier, and BE. I gave up wearing foundation altogether until this!

Blends easily, even though its full coverage and the texture is thick creamy. You don't end up looking cakey, but it covers beautifully and gives you a glow and dewy. It stays the whole day on my oily skin. It doesn't feels heavy. I don't turn to an oil sleek during the day. FLAWLESS... and you only need to use a little. I love the scent too, its not too overpowering. I want to wear it all the time!

Most of all, after I wash it off, my skin feels softer..
IMPRESSIVE

I'm definitely getting one for myself. The search is over.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2009 5:10:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I finally bite the bullet & bought this, from a snotty SA ... ("no, we don't give out samples"), the colour was Beige. To begin with, the colour was not a good match, but I thought I can use it later on when fall/winter comes. I doubt if any of the colour will match me, summer or winter. I applied a tiny dab over well-primed skin, & it did good, the bad thing was when I put another smaller dab to layer over & also using the concealer over the melasma that I see the ill-performance of this foundation.
I tried that again the next morning, it did not get any better.
I have close to a hundred bottles of fdn & this is by far the worst, I won't buy it for $20. BTW it is Cad$ 235 at Holt; glad they have a good return policy.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2009 9:26:00 AM More reviews by FoxyLocks

OH.MY.GOD!!!
This is the BEST foundation I have ever used.
It blends sooo well and it feels great!
Was pretty pricy but worth it I most definately thing.
It looks great without a primer too (incase you'd forget or don't use one etc.)
The concealer is awesome too I think it feels light but gives you great coverage. You only need a little bit :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2009 11:20:00 PM More reviews by user1988

Went to Saks to get this foundation based on reviews here but they ran out of my shade so I got the anti-aging foundation instead but did manage to get a sample of this one. I don't really like it, it emphasized my pores and looked extremely thick and cakey. Worse part is it made me look oily too fast. I think it's overrated and the price is outrageous, the consistency reminds me a lot of dior totale capture.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2009 6:46:00 PM More reviews by CC1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was recommended to me by a woman whom I really respect. Her skin always looks flawless . . . until you see her without makeup. I was so impressed at how much better she looked with it on that I went to Neiman Marcus the next day and bought it. I use "Creme Blush" and it is perfect for me. One bottle lasts me a very long time . . . probably longer than I should keep it, but so far no problems at all . . . whereas the BE minerals that I was using is gone in just a couple of months. LP makes my skin dewy and fresh-looking and it stays that way all day and all evening. I never have to retouch. And people always comment on my "beautiful complexion". If you can stomach the price (and it is a huge luxury, but I just skimp on other things), it is worth it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2009 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Lizzy28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Me: dry, sensitive Rosacean skin. Cool- to neutral toned NW10. I received two generous samples of this foundation in the two lightest shades: #Creme Pale (discontinued) and #Ivoire.
I tried both shades and #Creme Pale is a tad darker and slightly more yellow than #Ivoire. Both shades are too dark for my very fair complexion and both shades are just a tad "off". I can pull off slightly yellow toned (=warm) shades as well as slightly pink toned (=cool) shades and neutral toned shades but for some reason both of these shades didn't match me very well. If you would like to try this foundation and you're a MAC NW/NC15-20 I would ask for samples of #Ivoire, #Soft Beige and #Porcelain Blush.
The texture is quite a thick, creamy liquid. I apply and blend using a damp sponge and it blends very well. You only need a tiny amount so a jar will last you for a long time which is a good thing considering the fact this foundation is outrageous expensive;-) I didn't notice any offensive fragrance; this foundation doesn't contain any fragrance but there's kind of an "herbal" smell to it. I'm very picky about fragranced products but it doesn't bother me at all.
The coverage is quite sheer considering the fact it's a cream foundation; I'm used to full coverage cream foundations and I'd say the coverage of LP Skin Caviar is medium. If you need extra coverage you'll have to use an additional concealer or the built-in concealer (which I haven't tried because I just got a sample, not the full-sized jar).
The finish is semi-matte; even a tad powdery. I don't find it leaves a dewy, satin finish on my skin. Surprizing because it's a very moisturizing foundation (loaded with fatty acids, glycerin and emollients). Contains SPF15.
Packaging: hmm. I've seen it in the store and it's not practical. It looks fancy though.
Now for the bad part: I'm afraid it breaks me out; I'm far from acne-prone but I do notice some pimples (whiteheads) every time after I've been wearing it. I do use a cleansing oil so it must be the foundation. Also it seems to settle into fine lines after a few hours, emphasizing any fine lines and (large) pores. I don't have that many fine lines or large pores but this foundation is highlighting them; not an attractive look. So I won't purchase this foundation but I would still recommend giving it a try if you can get your hands on some samples. However I think there are far better (and cheaper!) foundations out there; IMO this foundation is just not worth the money. Jar 30ml/1OZ. (foundation) + 2g/0.07OZ. (concealer) $180.00
*PPP Foundations List in My Notepad*
Ingredients: petrolatum, isopropyl palmitate, isostearyl behenate, silica, microcristalline wax, dimethicone, nylon-12, ozokerite, glyceryl dibehenate, polymethyl methacrylate, mica, caviar extract, glycoproteins*, panax ginseng root extract*, horsetail extract*, algae extract, lactobacillus ferment, licorice root extract, lavender extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, chamomile flower extract, hydrolized malt extract, hydrolyzed wheat protein, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, ascorbyl palmitate, soybean oil, butylene glycol, glycerin, tribehenin, triethanolamine, water, glycine, arginine, glyceryl behenate, lauryl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, methionine, polyglucuronic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben. May contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides. *La Prairie's exclusive Cellular Complex

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2009 10:02:00 AM More reviews by dodobat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is hands down the best foundation I have ever used. The color match is perfect and much better than la mer which I also use. Texture wise it is creamy, blendable and smooth. The coverage is full but adjustable and does not feel very heavy on my skin. It is really expensive but very worth it in my opinion. I will repurchase over and over again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by clay2626

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this foundation years ago and felt it was not a good fit for my oily skin. I tried it again this year in the color creme blush (MAC NC 20-25) along with LP "rose illuision" (primer) and I was amazed what a difference both made compared to the first time I tried the foundation. The color was a good match but what I liked was at the end of the day my foundation was still there which with my oily skin never seemed to happen with any foundation. I would say this is medium coverage. I like it enough to purchase again but I wish they would sell the foundation seperate from the concealer ( I dont need concealer but if you do its nice to have the perfect combination together). The price is high but I have found other sites that make it more reasonable to purchase again. Its a good foundation and I prefer it to CDP creme foundation which I could never seem to put on without looking cakey I love the cover this foundation provides without looking so made up, of course you need to use a light hand when applying.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/19/2008 4:35:00 PM More reviews by impeccable02

This is a very mediocre foundation and I was disappointed as I had very high expectations.
The reason I bought it specifically, besides my never-ending zealous quest for the perfect foundation (and perfect skin), was because a top make-up artist (worked for Tatler, Cosmo, Harpers Bazaar and many perfum ads) listed it among his 10 favourite products (and yes, I am a sucker for "industry-insiders" 's recommendations). Moreover, some of his other favourites were the same as mine, so I assumed that it would be likely that I would love it just as much.

Let me begin by saying that part of the problem might be the shade that I got (creme peche) -- or rather the shade that the SA forced upon me as she absolutely guaranteed that this was the best colour for me (and again, I foolishly assumed that she knew what she was talking about and would know my skin tone after a two-second size-up better than myself after 10 years of make-up usage...).

My skin is NC 30-35 and quite yellow and I must say that the colour range that LP is offering for this foundation is quite poor for those with yellow-golden undertones. Perhaps Sand Beige or even Creme Blush would have been a better choice... yet even while I was sampling and checking different shades out, I thought they all looked too pinkish -- very old-school 80's make-up. If you are considering trying this and you have a lot of yellow in your skin, beware! Pick very carefully.

To sum up: poor colour selections, does not cater sufficiently to the variety of skin tones that are out there, very artificial, outdated pinkish hues. I definitely need stronger yellow pigmentation in my foundation than what LP currently has to offer.

Next, the consistency is terrible. It's very thick with surprisingly poor coverage for a product this creamy (Armani LSF gives me better coverage than this). Yet it manages to make my complexion look heavy, pasty and mask-like. In other words, all the inconveniences of heavy cream foundation with zero advantages.Overall, I think it makes me look pasty (no better word for it) and sallow like someone who spends too much time indoors in poorly ventilated rooms which is not the case (even when I dust over it with my beloved LM mineral finishing power and NARS laguna which look just gorgeous on top of any other foundation).
I bought this three months ago and have been using it for 1-2 days every week since then (I alternate with my other foundations) and this is my least favourite of the foundations I am currently using. I always think I look older (which is quite an achievement on someone who has no wrinkles or fine lines) and ashy (no matter how much blush and highlighter I layer on top) when I wear this, esp. in contrast with days when I'm wearing the other foundations.
Henceforth, I will only wear it on days when I'm staying at home and I'm cleaning out the garage or something. Like I said, I have no visible lines but strangely at the end of the day this foundations make it seems as if I do have some and am trying to conceal them....
I was excited with the idea of having an exactly matching concealer but I can't say that the concealer is spectacular either...Like the foundations, it's... waxy, and it will make you look waxy. Not dewy, but waxy. Like a corpse with oily skin.
This is the anti-thesis of what the nineties taught us that make-up should be. Very old lady product. Will not repurchase.... oh yes did I mention it made my pores look more visible?

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No