Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-Harvest¬ģ

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

It took me a long time to discover this product. I used to only use expensive department store brands (or sephora) . after been on this "clean" beauty product kick, and reading all the articles and books about the 'truth' of beauty industry I am officially scared to put any of that stuff on my face. This product is simple and gets the job done and makes my skin feel really soft and clean afterwards. If you are used to the normal cleanser's after feeling, maybe this is not the product for you. I used Aveeno for a while and i just recently read the label on the back, it's loaded with paraben and synthetic fragrance...as much as i liked how good it smells and how nice my skin feels after, you bet I'd never put that crap on my face ever again.

on 11/28/2011 8:08:00 PM

I am a huge fan of this, I really can see the difference if I go away for a few days without it and then break out. You really need to use it like the bottle says, massage for 60 seconds with warm water. The pump is pretty poor (new packaging) but it is really affordable. I think it is way better than benzoyl peroxide products (bleaching) and much better than the Biore salicylic acid wash I was using. I also use the Desert Essence drying stick and sometimes the pads (they have alcohol, I am not such a big fan of them).

on 11/4/2011 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I got the bottle without a pump, so I transfered it to another pump bottle.
This cleanser really washes my makeup and all the grime off my face without drying it out.
However,
I feel like it doesnt clean deeper than that, and it irritates my eyes. Since using this cleanser I have had very red eyes, not sure if its the cleanser though! Could be something else since I like to mix it up.
But Im ready to try something new now.

on 11/4/2011 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is essentially a Castile soap with a few extras added. Being a soap it is very alkaline and harsh on your skin's acid mantle. Although it may kill bacteria in the short run, it reduces your skinís ability to keep bacteria away after it has been rinsed off. Itís drying and damaging to the skin in the long run.

on 11/4/2011 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I was hoping so much for this to be good! It stung my sensitive skin like hell, its foaming action did not cleanse properly and now i'm stuck with a whole bottle!! From the ingredients you would think it would be a miracle cleaner. But heed my warning if you have sensitive, allergy prone, eczema skin stay away! Liz Earle Hot Polish Cleanser is wayyyyy better!

on 11/2/2011 10:14:00 AM

I am a teenager and have very oily, acne-prone skin, and I have been searching for 'the' cleanser for several years. I might just have found it! This cleanser foams up really well and leaves skin feeling clean and pleasantly tight. It doesn't help acne that much for me, but it certainly doesn't make it worse. The only cons I've found are the pump, which tends to jam easily, and the smell - I actually like the smell, but some people might find it too strong.

on 10/29/2011 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted this product to work but unfortunately it didn't. Made my face break out with cystic acne and my skin felt really dry after using the product. The price is great though!

on 10/29/2011 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

Ok, so I definitely have oily and acne prone skin for years and years. This is one of the best if not the best face wash I have ever used. Now looking at most of the ingredients are different types of oil but for some reason it never breaks me out. It suds up wonderfully and leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean. For those of you with drier skin, I could see how it would not be ideal because it does strip so much but for oily its great. The pump does tend to get clogged a lot so beware of that but I will continue to buy because it's a really great product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I actually don't think this is a bad product by any means, but it did not suit my skin type at all. My skin is what I'd call normal to sensitive and I rarely get breakouts (either stress-induced or I have to totally neglect my skin for a long time), which are always mild. I needed a new facial cleanser that was natural, mild, and would help with the breakout I was having at the time. While it did help with my breakout, it dried out my entire face and even left chemical burns in some areas, not fun. I had to take this back to the store after only a few uses to exchange for something else. I will not repurchase and would only recommend this for less sensitive, more oily skin.

PROS:
- Affordable
- Attractive packaging
- Nice, natural smell that doesn't give me a headache
- Clears up breakouts
- I love the pump
- A little goes a long way
- Natural ingredients
- Would work well for oilier, less sensitive complexions

CONS:
- A little TOO cleansing bordering on harsh; it left my skin feeling stripped
- Very drying; left my whole face dry and flaky for days after stopping use
- Increased oil production in my T-zone (before it dried it out...)
- Left visible (but thankfully mild) burns on my face
- Not good for twice or even once daily use
- Does not suit my normal to sensitive complexion at all

on 9/20/2011 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

The pump on this is annoying, but it's a really good face wash. It gets off much more dirt and makeup than other cleansers I've tried. It's great for people with acne prone skin. I've had clear skin since I started using it. It takes a little getting used to at first because it can be drying, especially in combination with the Tea Tree oil cleansing pads. But this really worked for my acne issues. I don't get breakouts anymore. AT ALL! Just make sure you use a really good quality moisturizer for your skin type. It took about a month to see full results, but improvement after about a week.