October 25, 2014 | 1743 users online

Conditioner - Aveda - Madder Root Conditioner

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2009 4:58:00 PM More reviews by MollyMormon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am normally blond. ( very blond) but tried to box dye my hair red... something I never do. It immediately faded. Went to my stylist and asked for copper hair. What she put on absorbed too much and turned out dark brown. Then she put a red gloss on, to try to make it red. It sort of worked... but it didn't get really red until I used this along with the Madder Root shampoo. Wow! It is certainly red now... a pretty, auburny red!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2009 5:46:00 PM More reviews by slivola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I have tried almost every red color depositing conditioner on the market and nothing compares to Aveda. I have a warm red hair (5RR) and really like it vibrant and I don't like when it gets golden highlights from the sun/fading. This keeps it looking freshly colored. Sometimes I mix a pea sized drop of the Clove conditioner with it to give it a little depth or if it's getting too artificially red looking. This also keeps it from ever having pink hues as some reviewers have mentioned.

Yes, it really does deposit color, so leave it on for 5 minutes or more so you get your moneys worth. Also, wear hair dying gloves so you don't stain your hands. If it gets on the tiles of your shower, have a cheap shampoo on hand and put some on the tile and rub it either with a little shower cleaning brush or with your hands if you're still wearing those gloves. The cheaper the shampoo the better because it has lots of sulfates in it which strips the color out of hair (terrible!) but is perfect for removing the color from the shower. This might sound like a lot of work but it literally just takes one minute once you have your routine down.

Anyway, comb the conditioner through in your hair and leave it in a bun on top of your head while you shave, clean the tile, etc. After I rinse, sometimes I'll still had some conditioner if it doesn't feel silky enough, but I have dry, curly hair that needs tons of conditioner.

Enjoy!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2009 2:36:00 PM More reviews by tragicglamour83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I recently started working at an Aveda concept salon/spa and have been experimenting with a lot of the company's products. My stylist recommended this conditioner to use once a week on my naturally red hair to kick the color up a few notches. I usually leave it on for about 5 minutes before rinsing.I do think it noticeably adds a bit of oomph to my red without changing the color drastically.I havent used this in conjunction with the MR shampoo. The one thing I'm not thrilled about is that it temporarily stains your scalp, so one lippie off for that. I didnt have any issues with this staining my hands or shower/tub, as others have mentioned. As for the conditioning formula, its not the most moisturizing, but the days that I use this I just follow up with a leave-in conditioner before styling. Usually in the fall and winter I start dyeing my hair a slightly darker, brighter, and more vibrant red, so here in a month or so I will be using Madder Root to maintain my color between appointments. Overall I think this is a really nice, effective product, if a bit on the pricey side (at least I get a generous employee discount!).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2008 4:01:00 PM More reviews by asjdfkl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm a medium golden brown and bought this in an effort to mimick the copper tones I get during the summer. This conditioner has done just that. I'm a fickle shopper but I've been through at least 3 bottles of this stuff. I get "Wow, I love your hair color!" all the time, and I don't know how many people I've sent to the Aveda store to pick this stuff up. It's fantastic, and also very conditioning without leaving build-up. Love it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by shellbell090702

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

So, here's why I love this conditioner-First of all, I have dark, chocolate brown hair that I rarely have dyed. I've used Aveda's Clove conditioner in the past, and this past winter, I used Black Malva conditioner to give my hair a little drama. Well, my hair naturally highlights in the summer, and my highlights are golden/reddish. I decided to use Black Malva conditioner on my hair-stupid me, Black Malva has blue undertones in it and my highlights are golden....what does blue and yellow make? Green!!! Ugh! So, I ended up with a green tint to my dark brown hair and it wouldn't budge even with 2 extra strength Malibu treatments and Aveda's Detoxifier everyday. So, because my Stylist is on maternity leave for a few more weeks, I needed a quick fix. Back to Kindergarten basics and thinking "what colors does my Stylist use when she makes my dye?". Dark chocolate and red! I went to the Aveda store and bought Clove and Madder Root conditioner, went home and immediately mixed the two together in my palm and doused it on my dry hair and left it on for about 20 minutes. I then jumped in the shower and rinsed it off, shampooed my hair, and mixed some more up and put it on my hair wet...voila, my hair is back to normal. I use the conditioners everyday just to make sure until I get my hair dyed and I haven't seen any traces of green. Amazing stuff.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2008 11:17:00 PM More reviews by pillpopper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a natural red (golden orange-ish) curly haired (2b) and I fade a bit in the summer. This is a delicious, light feeling but deep penetrating conditioner. I leave a bit in for added control of the frizz. The color deposit is subtle but noticeable after three uses. Spendy but great. I shall repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2008 5:47:00 PM More reviews by miinx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! I'm naturally a dirty blonde and get my hair dyed red at the salon every 5 weeks. Before I started using this along with the shampoo, my hair would fade to a dingy strawberry blonde within 2 weeks after my salon appointment.. now I'm left with vibrant, shiny, bright and soft hair that looks salon fresh for weeks, through hairspray, styling, blowdrying, and swimming.

I constantly get compliments on my "natural" red hair, lol!

To those who have given it bad reviews - PLEASE read the bottle before you use products like these, especially color depositing hair products! It specifically states that it shouldnt be used on blondes [this includes strawberry blondes], and hair that has been highlighted or bleached. This works best for copper to auburn shades of hair, or darker hair looking for a pop of vibrancy.

When my hair was more of a strawberry blonde, I used the Chamomile conditioner for blondes with much better results - madder root conditioner will turn porous, bleached and highlighted hair pink!

I do however currently have some lighter red highlighted streaks in my hair, and the madder root conditioner gives them an amazing bright pop of color that makes my hair seem allover more vibrant. I'll buy this stuff again and again.

EDIT: After getting my hair colored darker for fall/winter, I have a word of warning! Before using this, make ABSOLUTELY sure you do not want to stray from the family of ginger red for a LONG long time! The henna used for color depositing in this conditioner has left a stubborn orange undertone to my hair that is making my current red violet shade a HUGE hassle to keep looking good. As most redheads know, red of all shades fades extremely fast, and my hair is now fading to a brassy, orangey red rather than the usual duller auburn that my winter shade fades to. Beware! I've switched to ARTek cherry bark to tone it down and keep the cooler shades in my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2008 2:44:00 PM More reviews by conogirl

"HOW TO KEEP THE COLOR YOU WALK OUT OF THE SALON WITH"
O.k., I know that was horrible grammar, but I know of no other way to get my point across. I would not recommend this for lighter copper shades of red hair. If you have dark auburn or unnaturally red colored hair, you definitely need to purchase this. The secret to keeping the same color is to use this and the Conditioner Only Method for shampooing and conditioning your hair. If you're not familiar with this, you simply use this instead of shampoo every time you wash your hair. Apply it to the ends and then apply it to the scalp. Bend over and rub your scalp all over for about 1 minute and let it sit while you finish your shower. This stuff actually removes the daily build up and greasy feel from your roots and extends the life of your color. The sodium laurel sulfate that is in normal shampoo is actually what is used in dishwashing detergent to remove grease from dishes, so imagine how much color it strips from your hair. I recommend buying a towel that you will use exclusively for drying your hair, because it will leave red residue, but it is easily washes out in a normal laundry cycle. I promise your color will be the exact same 3 weeks after you've had the dye job.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2008 6:32:00 PM More reviews by Karla00

I have natural red highlights but this has given my dark brown hair a (natural) electric red sheen. I put it on, put on a shower cap and sit in the gym sauna for 30 mins. My hair is so soft and seems to stay cleaner longer (I went 8 days without washing my hair and it still looked great).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2008 10:51:00 PM More reviews by KalinaBallerina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a wonderful conditioner for women looking to maintain their red highlights. I have used this conditioner once a week for 3 weeks now and am incredibly impressed by the color deposition. This conditioner leaves my hair soft and manageable. The scent is fresh and crisp. I also love that the packaging is environmentally friendly. A definite repurchase for me.