Aveda Madder Root Conditioner

4.1

Ingredients: Aqueous Purified Water Extracts: Rubia Tinctorum Extract, Clover Extract, Henna Extract, Sweet Almond Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Extract (Organically Grown), Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (Palm), Stearyl Alcohol (Mixed Plant), Dimethicone Copolyol (Silica), Glycerin (Coconut), Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate (Rapeseed), Distearyldimonium Chloride (Coconut), Babassu Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol (Rice Bran), Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolzed Wheat Protein, Glyceryl Stearate (Coconut), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (Guar Beans), Dicapryl Ether (Coconut), Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut), Cetrimonium Chloride (Mixed Plant), Cyclomethicone (Silica), Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose (Cellulose), Sodium Citrate (Molasses), Citric Acid (Molasses), Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annatto (Colorant), Basic Brown 16 (Colorant), Basic Red 76 (Colorant)

So I'm a natural brunette and don't have any colored bits in my hair. some golden highlights from the sun this is it. I just wanted to enhance my hair color a bit, so it doesn't look so boring, but I really never want to color it. I read all the great reviews here about this conditioner and so I went to the Aveda Salon to try it out. I hesitated, because of the price to buy it straigth away, but at the salon they washed my hair with the shampoo and conditioner for free to try it out. The stylist there said she never tried it out on someone with uncolored and brunette hair, so we were both excited about the results. They let the conditioner sit for about 10 minutes. The results were FANTASTIC!!!!! This was actually exactly the result of "coloring" that i hoped to achieve!!!! I love being able to keep my natural, individual haircolor and just adding a bit of an exciting reddish tone to it!! It is subtle, so my actual haircolor remains unchanged, just the normal blonde hightlight from the sun have turned into subtle light red hightlights and the parts of my hair that are darker got a bit of a subtle darker reddish tint. And it only was in my hair ten minutes!!!! I think if I would leave this in over night I wuold turn really noticable redred!!! My friends asked me if I colored my hair, but said it looks so natural and effortless. It is subtle but definitly noticable, enhances your hair with reddish tones, but doesn't lay over your natural color. I really loved the results and bought it straight away after trying it at the salon (they said the conditioner is enough, the shampoo doesn't really deposit color). Just watch out that when you use it, you put in the conditioner evenly all over your hair, maybe comb through, becuase if you don't it will come out a bit streaky. This is what happened to me after the first time I used it myself at home. The ONLY small downside is that, as a conditioner itself which it also claims to be, it does an average job, there are better conditioners out there, its more for depostiting color effects. Also it is quite pricey. Nevertheless I would buy it again because the effect is great and exactly what i wanted, not too strong, not too subtle.

I just purchased this and have only used it twice, but so far I love it! My old color-depositing shampoo has been discontinued and I have been searching for something that adds a little oompf to my color. I have naturally auburn hair, and the color from this conditioner seems to match perfectly (not too red, not too orange, but a nice deep auburn red).

I will update this as I continue to use it. Yes it slightly discolors your hands, but nothing that soap doesn't take right off. Some reviews have suggested wearing gloves which I don't think is necessary. Since you leave the conditioner (or shampoo, whichever you purchase) in for 5 minutes, I just soap up while I'm waiting and the color comes right off my hands. Also, it does add red to your scalp slightly, but it's not horribly noticeable.

I love this conditioner and I will continue to purchase it! I am happy I have finally found a color depositing shampoo that can replace my discontinued shampoo!

I use this conditioner alongside the Madder Root shampoo and have had great results on my processed hair.

(So much so that where my hair is porous in places the colour is super vibrant)

The smell is lovely - neither artificial or overwhelming - and I really like the thick consistency; a little goes a long way.

When you put it in your hair your hands are left a little stained but I wash my hair in the shower and find that the stain has gone by the time I've washed my body. (That said I'd recommend being careful to rinse any product that lands on white tiles - I reckon it could stain).

I use this to complement the Madder Root shampoo. It's quite strong stuff and very effective. Puts colour back into my naturally red but fading hair. Delicious smell like almonds.

You have to be careful with this else you can stain your hands or bathroom fittings, clothes or whatever. It is a very bright red out of the tube.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this product for my natural red hair and it made my hair soft and enhanced my hair color.

I am normally blond. ( very blond) but tried to box dye my hair red... something I never do. It immediately faded. Went to my stylist and asked for copper hair. What she put on absorbed too much and turned out dark brown. Then she put a red gloss on, to try to make it red. It sort of worked... but it didn't get really red until I used this along with the Madder Root shampoo. Wow! It is certainly red now... a pretty, auburny red!

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I love this product! I have tried almost every red color depositing conditioner on the market and nothing compares to Aveda. I have a warm red hair (5RR) and really like it vibrant and I don't like when it gets golden highlights from the sun/fading. This keeps it looking freshly colored. Sometimes I mix a pea sized drop of the Clove conditioner with it to give it a little depth or if it's getting too artificially red looking. This also keeps it from ever having pink hues as some reviewers have mentioned.

Yes, it really does deposit color, so leave it on for 5 minutes or more so you get your moneys worth. Also, wear hair dying gloves so you don't stain your hands. If it gets on the tiles of your shower, have a cheap shampoo on hand and put some on the tile and rub it either with a little shower cleaning brush or with your hands if you're still wearing those gloves. The cheaper the shampoo the better because it has lots of sulfates in it which strips the color out of hair (terrible!) but is perfect for removing the color from the shower. This might sound like a lot of work but it literally just takes one minute once you have your routine down.

Anyway, comb the conditioner through in your hair and leave it in a bun on top of your head while you shave, clean the tile, etc. After I rinse, sometimes I'll still had some conditioner if it doesn't feel silky enough, but I have dry, curly hair that needs tons of conditioner.

Enjoy!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I recently started working at an Aveda concept salon/spa and have been experimenting with a lot of the company's products. My stylist recommended this conditioner to use once a week on my naturally red hair to kick the color up a few notches. I usually leave it on for about 5 minutes before rinsing.I do think it noticeably adds a bit of oomph to my red without changing the color drastically.I havent used this in conjunction with the MR shampoo. The one thing I'm not thrilled about is that it temporarily stains your scalp, so one lippie off for that. I didnt have any issues with this staining my hands or shower/tub, as others have mentioned. As for the conditioning formula, its not the most moisturizing, but the days that I use this I just follow up with a leave-in conditioner before styling. Usually in the fall and winter I start dyeing my hair a slightly darker, brighter, and more vibrant red, so here in a month or so I will be using Madder Root to maintain my color between appointments. Overall I think this is a really nice, effective product, if a bit on the pricey side (at least I get a generous employee discount!).

I'm a medium golden brown and bought this in an effort to mimick the copper tones I get during the summer. This conditioner has done just that. I'm a fickle shopper but I've been through at least 3 bottles of this stuff. I get "Wow, I love your hair color!" all the time, and I don't know how many people I've sent to the Aveda store to pick this stuff up. It's fantastic, and also very conditioning without leaving build-up. Love it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So, here's why I love this conditioner-First of all, I have dark, chocolate brown hair that I rarely have dyed. I've used Aveda's Clove conditioner in the past, and this past winter, I used Black Malva conditioner to give my hair a little drama. Well, my hair naturally highlights in the summer, and my highlights are golden/reddish. I decided to use Black Malva conditioner on my hair-stupid me, Black Malva has blue undertones in it and my highlights are golden....what does blue and yellow make? Green!!! Ugh! So, I ended up with a green tint to my dark brown hair and it wouldn't budge even with 2 extra strength Malibu treatments and Aveda's Detoxifier everyday. So, because my Stylist is on maternity leave for a few more weeks, I needed a quick fix. Back to Kindergarten basics and thinking "what colors does my Stylist use when she makes my dye?". Dark chocolate and red! I went to the Aveda store and bought Clove and Madder Root conditioner, went home and immediately mixed the two together in my palm and doused it on my dry hair and left it on for about 20 minutes. I then jumped in the shower and rinsed it off, shampooed my hair, and mixed some more up and put it on my hair wet...voila, my hair is back to normal. I use the conditioners everyday just to make sure until I get my hair dyed and I haven't seen any traces of green. Amazing stuff.