OPI Ridge Filler

on 6/7/2009 4:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't like this at first, it made it difficult to apply polishes (they would drag), and it appeared uneven. After experimenting I discovered less is more, and it actually works a lot better if you just apply a very thin layer.

It fills ridges in nicely, but it won't cover dents or scratches, but I use a nail buffer for those anyway.

I like how it evens the nail out a bit more, it makes colors look more opaque because of the whiteness.

I'll be using this until I find something better.

EDIT: after using this for a few weeks, I noticed this turns my nails yellow! :(

on 4/13/2009 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm on the fence with this one. I have psoriasis so get prone to small ridges on my nails so I thought I'd give it a go.

Currently am wearing this under OPI's Glamour Game and I'm convinced that it led to the polish taking longer to dry.

Ridge Filler took about 15 minutes to get to touch-dry alone and that was only with one coat. It was sticky and wet for ages and I lost patience I am afraid. Hats off to all those that got it dry fast but it just wasn't working for me. One little test to see if it was dry left a mark and I had to take it off that nail and start again as I didn't want the mark to appear through my polish.
Hmm - frustrating.

on 3/22/2009 6:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

OPI's Ridge Filler is definitely, IMO, their worst product. It does nothing that one would expect a ridge filler to do - fill in the ridges or make the nail opaque. I have a tiny dent in one thumbnail that won't go away (buffing takes off too much of the nail) so I bought this ridge filler thinking that would help. I also thought, since it's white in the bottle, that it would make the nail opaque so that sheer polishes are not so see-through. The product provided neither result. After one coat the ridge was still visible and the only thing it did for the nail was make it dull and matte - you could still see through it. I used this without another base coat on top (one would think you might be able to use this as a base coat as well as a ridge filler) but that was just a disaste when it came to adding colored polish. The polish (OPI) went on in a streaky mess (which did not happen when I used the same polish over my HG base coat Sally Hansen Nail Quencher). As a result, I won't be buying this OPI product again. Thumbs way down on this one.

on 8/20/2008 7:42:00 PM

I wanted to love this product, I really did. I have noticeable ridges on all of my nails and turned to this product for my manicures. I first apply a clear quick dry nail hardener, then a coat of this, then Stickey, then two coats of colour and then Super Shiney top coat. While I can't comment on whether this helps prolong the life of my manicures, it did an okay job of preventing my ridges from showing on my manicures.

Here's the problem: this product applies super streaky, and is super thick. I can't even go over it again with the brush while it's wet...it drags like CRAZY. Yeah, it clears up my ridges but there are now drag marks on my nails. Great. After it dries, the dragging isn't as obvious, but still, I want a product that applies smoothly and does not streak. Under sheer nail polish, which I don't wear, the streaking would be so obvious. I've tried thinning the product out, but it goes back to the goopy, thick mess that it is almost immediately.

I recently ordered NailTek Foundation II ridge filler and hopefully that will work better for me. Like I said, I really wanted to like this, since I love OPI polishes, but I won't buy this ever again.

on 7/12/2008 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I know I'm in the minority here, but this is on my Never Again list. I used this for several weeks a couple years ago when some ridges developed and while it was fine as a ridge-filler, I noticed my nails yellowing, which had never happened before. This product was the only variable and when I stopped using it, the yellow went away bit by bit. No yellowing problems since, so I'm reaching the logical conclusion that this product was the culprit.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Makes a pretty good white base for sheer polishes, but I don't feel it actually does anything to even the surface of my nails. It does dry lightning fast. This has the ProWide brush. US$8.50 @ enailsupply.com - not worth it for the price, IMO.

on 6/1/2008 6:55:00 PM

This base coat smooths the ridges on my nails. I use it on my toes and the nail polish stays on for more than three weeks sometimes! Without chips! Love it!

on 2/16/2008 1:22:00 AM

Today im reviewing all my nail polishes. This did nothing for my nails waste of $$. I love opi but to me this ones a dud.

on 1/29/2008 10:50:00 PM

I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong with this. All these great reviews and my experience has been horrible with this. I've tried it all---making sure moisture/oil is off my nails, applying less coats of nailpolish. No matter what I do, my nail polish peels off in strips when I use this product.

I use OPI polish and Seche Vite on top and it still didn't work. Maybe I'll try out some other ridge fillers, because I really like milky colors and want something opaque like this as a basecoat.

on 12/26/2007 7:02:00 AM

I don't really have ridges on my nails but I got this to see if it would help fill out where my nails have split and peeled. I know it's not what it's meant for so I couldn't complain if it didn't work. My nails peel badly, leaving a ragged edge towards the top and a thinner nail after it.
In fact this does the job quite well! I apply the ridge filler all over the nail, but concentrating on the ends where the nail is thinner - so the ridge filler goes on a bit thicker there. It dries remarkably quickly - by the time I have got to the last finger on the second hand, the first hand is dry. It leaves a matte finish.
I apply 2 coats of nail polish after this and finish off with Seche Vite as a topcoat. I can't pretend my nails are left looking 100% smooth and flat, but,compared to what they looked like before , they are not at all bad. I'd buy it again unless I can find something that stops my nails peeling... I have been trying but have yet to find anything that even begins to work.

Popular Top/Base Coats