Avon Imari

3.1

I was given a bottle of Imari as a teen, and loved it immediately. For years it was my signature scent. It is certainly different from the scents that are in favor today, which imho are too clean and fruity. I personally don't like smelling like a fruit basket or a muffin, I prefer something with a little warmth to it. I don't have a bottle now, but once in a while I buy the skin softener as a reminder of how great this smells.

on 12/26/2007 12:12:00 PM

I think this perfume smells awful. Avon labels it in their books as a #1 bestseller, I'm not sure how! Must be the same people who bought it 50 years ago still wearing it. Funny thing is I got this in a skin softener and THAT actually smells, but the perfume is awful.

on 12/22/2007 8:43:00 PM

I sell Avon, and I'm not too hyped on most of their perfumes. Some of their more recent introductions are fabulous (Christian Lacroix Rouge, Celine Dion's Spring in Paris, etc), but Imari is one of the old stand-bys that I really wish they would do away with. It is a VERY oriental scent. Spicy and cloying. It doesn't have great staying power (as with most Avon perfumes) and tends to change on the wearer from my experience. This is the quintessential "old lady" perfume. The only people I know that wear it are old ladies, and the smell just reminds me of old lady. I can't help it. Ugh.

on 10/22/2007 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I agree with the previous review-I think if this fragrance was by a more high end company it's reviews would be better.I just got a giftset from Avon with the perfume, shower gel, powder, and skin softener and I am very pleased with this scent.It is a little musky and very comforting.I really like it and think it should be given a chance-I actually didn't like it at all the first time I tried it, but I feel it will be my go-to scent for the colder months.

on 10/21/2007 8:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Avon is hard to review because it is often percieved as main-stream, cheap and run-of-the-mill. That may be due to the fact that is is inexpensive and readily available, but just because it doesn't cost $100 for two drams doesn't make it s*^#. Admittedly, some Avon scents smell cheap in that they are associated with that Aunt you didn't like who gave garbagy Christmas presents or the teacher who graded you unfairly, and compared to the classic French perfume houses they can come off second best, but some are actually quite nice and are all that some women require in their scent: Pleasant, attractive and not grotesquely expensive. I can be as snobby as the next perfume-afficianado, and Avon isn't my first choice ever, reminding me of childhood experiments, but as long as your chemistry is willing, scents like Imari are definitely a good alternative to more expensive fragrances. This one is a warm, ambery oriental and wears actually less powdery than Opium on me. I get compliments when I wear it (around Christmas, when it's cold) and men seem to like it. It is heavier than I usually choose, but it's warm and spicy and smells very comforting in winter without being a fuzzy blanket. It's cashmere, maybe. A little bit elegant and a little bit smoky. Oh, yeah, and it's available and affordable and you can try it on and see if it works for you and avoid judging by the opinions of a bunch of strangers on some website you visited.

on 9/27/2007 10:10:00 AM

I personally think it is way, way to strong and over powering, its smells like pepper spray to me. The bottles are pretty though

on 9/26/2007 6:19:00 PM

Just got an order in today. Ordered some purse sprays for 5.99 ea. Good deal, right? Now some I liked from the samples and some (like the Imari) were to be a surprise. So.......the Imari...........three words.......man's after shave. Horrible. This is not a second cousin to Opium. Ack!....nooo way. To compare is an insult. Just plain ol' grandpa's after shave, and not a good one.

on 9/2/2007 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

This is one of the classic perfumes (chanel, charlie, vanilla fields category) but its smells so pretty and timeless. Whenever I dress up really glamourous I get compliments that I smell beautiful. This perfume is ladylike and very grownup. Its too heavy for daytime and summertime because it smells a lil like "old lady perfume" no offense. But this is very classic no matter if you are 18 or 80. People get headaches because this perfume is strong and they spray too much.

on 8/25/2007 8:30:00 AM

I prefer the Imari skin softener lotion to the perfume itself. I love the sexy musk smell of it. I usually like fruity perfumes, but this one makes me feel sexy. It's very good for a pick me up at the end of the day too :)

on 8/23/2007 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Sweet, musky and powdery with woodsy notes. Nice on the right person but for me there's too much sweet cloying baby powder. It gives me a headache. Packaging looks cheap and bulky.

Popular Fragrances