April 19, 2014 | 1872 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending (Windshield Wiper) Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have had this for over 20 years and it's still like new. I've mostly used it for blending, but after reading all the reviews here, I tried using it for application of darker colors in the "v", and it's awesome. I also love this brush for dusting a little of my Blanc Type over the edges of my crease shadows, it really gives a polished look without being too heavy and light in color, which happens if I do the same with the 217. I didn't care for the 217, even though it's the more popular brush, I think the 224 is much better, softer, not as wide, and works better for both application and blending. Because of the reviews here, I tried my 224 for concealer, but while I liked the concept of airbrushing, I don't find the natural bristles to be the best for an emollient concealer. So I ordered the 286 for that purpose and love it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/30/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by juicy415

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this brush is so fluffy, which is good for just 2 things to blend your concealer and apply setting powder under your eyes or to blend your eyeshadow everywhere on your lids (you have to be careful while holding this brush to blend your eyeshadow) for the price of this fluffy brush i will pass. swapped this away

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2012 2:54:00 PM More reviews by edelweiss7579

I use this brush for both my crease area or blending. Sometimes I use the #217 for my crease and use this brush for really blending the colors. I have abnormally large eyes and don't really have an actual crease...more like a deeper area. This brush is large enough to do the job and blends my colors well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 6:47:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this brush to blend my concealer under my eyes. I apply my Bobbi brown corrector and then mac's select cover up concealer with my fingers. Then i blend the edges with this brush and then apply a thin dusting of make up for ever's hd powder to set. This brush was a bit scratchy so instead of blending my corrector/concealer, I've Been using this brush lately to gently pat the hd powder under my eyes. Def would not repurchase because it's just too scratchy and not worth the price.

Update 5/1/13: I prefer Sonia kashuk's black Handle tapered blending brush. Sooo much softer and looks exactly like the 224. Plus it's less than $10, which is another bonus!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by lilyorchid

For about eight dollars cheaper, you can get a superior brush with the #217.

If you have a large lid space and a deep crease, this brush will probably be amazing for softly blending colors. However, if you have a small lid space like I do (think double eyelids but without a deep socket/crease space), this brush will over-blend your shadows and make the colors go everywhere instead.

Also, for $30, I would expect this brush to be super soft, but I find that it's a little scratchy on my lids. I definitely prefer the #217 because it is softer and offers much more control.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by eliin

I absolutely love this brush! It's probably the best smudge brush out there and I don't think i'd be able to live without it.. haha :) The price, I think, is a "okay" price, because the brush is so high in quality and if you clean it and take care of it, it'll last forever!
Well, I use it daily and I love it! So to everyone who's thinking about buying it, go and do it, NOW! :D

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by bigsvig

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the windshield wiper brush in general. The MAC version is a fine one. I just wanted to add my opinion that that this is the most useful brush I own. In fact, I keep a couple around so I can use multiple within an eye design without having to clean (between dark and light or shimmers and mattes, etc.). I have a broad, almost monolid, and the windshield wiper action has been the easiest way for me to get a smooth application without skips or drags. This brush almost single highhandedly put eyeshadow back in my life when I was young and had just about given up on it. Just wanted to share that for other women who might be having the same frustrations.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2011 3:00:00 PM More reviews by underage

I love this brush!! I got a mini 224 Special Edition a few years ago and I have used it everyday since. I decided to pick up the full size because I used it so much and I'm still in love! It is the perfect blending brush for blending out the crease color. I found the regular 224 to be softer and less scratchy than the Special Edition but that's a good thing. No shedding for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by meumar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great blending brush, larger than the 217. I use the 217 for blending eyeshadow into my crease or at the corners of my eye, but I tend to pick this up if I'm just applying one colour or paintpot onto my lids quickly just because it's bigger.

Also it's absolutely great for buffing concealer into the skin - it's my goto concealer brush.

One lippie off because it's not particularly soft and because it does shed a lot -- for the price it really shouldn't shed as much as it does but it does.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2011 2:08:00 PM More reviews by umehta

This brush is rough and sheds! I am very dissappointed and am returning this brush. Do not waste your money on this brush.