MAC Lustre - Gleam

3.6

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I think this is my most hated eyeshadow. It's the only one I can put on and instantly look sick. It doesn't matter what I pair it with or where I put it. It barely shows up on me, but there's just enough color there to make me look ill. It's also a chunky mess, so my eye's all red now.

It reminds me of a less pigmented, chunkier version of Melon pigment, which I *do* like, oddly enough.

on 1/5/2010 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This was the first MAC e/s I ever bought. I like to use it as a highlight or as a lid colour. Really gorgeous colour with not as much fallout as other Lustre eyeshadows.

on 12/27/2009 11:03:00 PM

i so wanted to love this e/s. the past 3 times i have been at mac it has caught my eye so the last time i was there i finally gave in and just purchased it. the first red flag should have been the fact it is a lustre. i hate those, but it looks so good in the pan (like a peachy pink with some gold). so i went home and tried to apply it a million different ways. i used every base i own and nothing worked. rubenesque paint pot was the best base because they are really close to being the same color but even that was still awful. its chunky glittery, way too much fall out, and not pigmented at all. even if you try to pack it on all you get is fall out. its not the worst e/s i have ever seen but its close and i'm disapointed because like i said it looks so pretty in the pot but it is all kinds of frustrating to work with and the results are not worth the effort.

on 12/1/2009 9:49:00 PM

I know a lot of people have problems with this product, and I did at first, but once you figure out the trick it is an amazing eyeshadow! I use Painterly all over my lid, followed by Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow/Liner in Birthday Suit, and then I use my 239 to pack Gleam on. It is such a neutral daytime look, but still sparkly and pretty. Then, I use Blacktrack and smudge it out, and it looks amazing!
Overall, difficult to use until you learn the trick to apply it. Then, absolutely wonderful. I would definitely repurchase.

on 11/12/2009 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm surprised Gleam has so many poor reviews because I really like it. It's not my favorite or anything but I definitely don't regret buying it. Gleam is a sparkly light peachy pink color. It's not as pigmented as some mac eyeshadows, but with a good base (like rubenesque paint pot) it will show up. I like to use it as a lid or highlight color. It looks a little too dark for a highlight color in the pan, but it goes on beautifully on the brow bones and inner eye corners. I recommend swatching it at the store before buying it though because it's obviously not for everyone.

on 11/2/2009 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

MAC Lustre shadows are very hit or miss, and sadly, Gleam is just about a total miss for me. While it's gorgeous in the pot (a shimmery gold infused peach/apricot), it just translates to a bunch of nothing upon application. The texture is chalky and this serves up virtually no pigmentation. The only way I can even get this to show is to pile it on wet with Fix +, which if possible, almost makes it look worse. This is definitely not one that will ever be of use for me.

on 10/27/2009 1:05:00 AM

WORST EYESHADOW EVER.
what a waste!

on 9/25/2009 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

If you like colorless, glittery chunks on your eyelids and fallout on your cheeks, this is the eyeshadow for you. There is absolutely no pigmentation. I love MAC, but this is the worst eyeshadow I have ever tried.

on 8/5/2009 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I agree with several other reviewers about the lack of pigment in this. It hardly shows up on my lids, no matter how much I try to build it and whether or not I'm using a primer. All I get is chunky gold glitter that ends up all over my face. Too bad, because it's so beautiful in the pan! For reference, I'm a C3.

on 8/5/2009 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I thought this eyeshadow, being a lustre, would be a great choice since I loved retrospeck so much. I thought gleam would be like it's pinky cousin, but gleam is almost impossible to coax onto my brush, I find myself scraping against the eyeshadow over and over to get any product, and then trying to put it on my eye and none of it leaving the brush...totally disappointed with this one.