April 18, 2014 | 1782 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 7:28:00 PM More reviews by esmeralda1977

I am really sad because I wanted to love this expensive selftanner and I have wasted a lot of money but only by experience you find the perfect ST. The truth is this one left me with the most horrible orangey saffron (!!!) color for 2 days. I am NC 25 and have never had this kind of tone and I have tried St Tropez, Clarins, Lancome, etc. My ABSOLUTE favourite is Sun Labs, at first sight very similar to Faux Tan but the results are worlds apart. Maybe it's mainly my body chemistry.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by bex30

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the only self tanner I will use...by far the best. Typically I use it at night and let it soak into my skin while I am asleep and take a shower in the morning to get rid of the leftover smell that all self tanners have ( I have yet to find one that doesn't have that smell). I end up with a glowy not too tan fake tan...I never look orangey which is amazing. Sometimes I will use it before going out but I find the smell too overbearing and can smell it on myself after an hour or so. I have yet to try it with the lotion that is supposed to extend the tan but I might have to give it a try.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 4:14:00 PM More reviews by starbuck65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This didn't work for me...it was the only product I could find overseas after running out of St Tropez and Xen Tan. This was orange after the first day, orange enough that people asked why I was orange and it faded horribly on me...patchy. Easy enough to apply, looked horible.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by Kimberleyroya

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've tried every self tanner out there and let me just say this is the BEST one. I really thought this self tanner was too good to be true. I'm in love with it. It gives me such a natural brown color and theres NO streaking unlike 99% of self tanners. No orange tint whatsoever and the smell isn't amazing but it's not horrible you can barley smell it once it's on. I'm so amazed at how well it blends. I always get spotty areas around my wrists with other self tanners but not with this one. It looks so natural. Also, if doesnt rub off on clothes. All my other self tanners have soaked into my sheets or onto my white clothes and I wore a white tanktop all day after putting it on and not one spot was stained. It also dries so quickly I don't have to sit and wait anymore I can just go to bed and not worry about it streaking through the night. Im literally done searching I've found my perfect self tanner I'm never switching to another. Amazing is the only word I have for this. 5 stars all the way.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by curtisbp

Amazing is the only word I have for this product. My arms and face will tan in the summer but my legs are constantly a pasty, ghost-like white. With this self tanner my whole body turns a beautiful natural looking golden color. I bought the kit on QVC that comes with the application brush that I absolutely MUST recommend everyone get if they can. My husband helped me do my back but with the brush, I'm pretty sure I probably could have managed on my own. If you think self tanner just won't look good on you, give this a try and see just how wrong you are!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2011 3:11:00 PM More reviews by katiex0

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

My HG self tanner! I have tried so many different self tanners, from drugstore brands to expensive brands. No self tanner has ever given me such a wonderful color. I'm as white as white gets, with a family history of melanoma, so I don't even try to tan. This gives me a wonderful, natural looking tan, with absolutely no streaks. It doesn't have an orange or yellow tint, and this is the best smelling st I've come across. There is an odor but it's faint and fades quick. It is a little pricey but it is so worth it. I buy the jumbo bottle with the pump from QVC and it lasts me all summer, and I use it a lot in the summer. The only con for me is that I wished it lasted a bit longer, but I still live this st and I doubt I'll ever switch. It also will stain your hands! But before applying I rub lotion on my hands and after applying I scrub them with a nail brush and it removes it quick.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2011 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Kelly824

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this self-tanner! I have used TONS of different self-tanners, and this is by far my favorite so far. It smells awesome, comes out brown in color instead of orange like most self-tanners, goes on smooth, and doesn't fade into patches. When you're putting it on, it looks really dark, but that's just so you can see where you're applying it - I recommend putting it on at night after exfoliating, then taking a shower in the morning. I'm also able to use it on my face without breaking out, which is amazing because I have pretty sensitive skin. The only con I would say about this product, is that for me it doesn't seem to last that long- maybe only a couple days, and then I have to re-apply. I haven't purchased in awhile because it can get a bit pricey since I go through the bottle so quickly. But other than this minor issue, I love this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 10:03:00 AM More reviews by jmbialek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've had to experiment with this product for a little while to figure out how it works the best, but now that I've gotten my routine down, I am so happy with the results! Faux Tan is an interesting product in that it comes out an olive-green/brown color, which seems to work well in terms of serving as a color guide and cancelling out any orangeness. Even though the color guide has been helpful, I don't consider it a "tint" that I would be comfortable wearing in public without washing off, since it kind of makes my skin look greenish and dirty. But rest assured, it washes off completely and the color that remains is a beautiful golden tan, with the most minimal smell of any tanner I've tried!

I was struggling with Faux Tan's consistency, since it is thicker and dries very quickly, and I was so paranoid about uneven application that it would take me a really long time to do my whole body. It also stained my hands pretty badly at first, even though I washed my hands every couple of minutes. Now I have started using rubber gloves when I apply (which work great, no streaks at all if you're careful and rub in a circular motion). I've also started combining the lotion with a more lotion-y self tanner (Banana Boat Summer Color in Deep Dark), which adds to the slip of the Faux Tan and makes it easier and faster to blend and rub in. The combination makes the smell slightly more pungent but I always tan before bed and shower it off in the morning so it doesn't offend me much. And my tan looks awesome, if I do say so myself! :)

The one downside is the cost; it was more than $20 for a teeny little 4 oz. bottle! Combining it with a drugstore tanner will hopefully make it last a little longer, but at the end of the day, if it works well then it is worth the money, especially for us pale ladies who want to glow but also want to age gracefully and protect their skin from the sun! I highly recommend this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2011 12:23:00 AM More reviews by missymarissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is HG STATUS for me. I have gone through 4 bottles now. The color of this is unlike any other self tanner i have found..it's actually a brown, tan color..not yellow, not orange, and not pink. Just brown. Thank you Bare Escentuals for realizing people who fake tan like for thier tan to actually be brown. This CAN BE a little tricky to blend, but what I like to do is mix the Faux Tan with a little Faux Tan body moisturizer to make it more blendable. Works great. People will never guess your tan is fake if you apply it right (exfoliate, shave, blend ect.) This is a little pricey if you buy both tanners, 22$ + $18. But for me it's so worth it because I can't find anything else out there that looks natural and I personally feel like if your tan looks fake you might as well skip it and go the natural pale route. I don't often rave on a product but this one is worth it. OH and plus it smells pleasant!! I can't detect a hint of the DHA smell..just smells like sweet almond. I don't think I could feel sexy bare legged without this so they had better never disconintue this!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2011 5:38:00 PM More reviews by smarti11

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is just too much hard work, sorry.
Great colour but just takes forever to blend into skin since its a kinda gel lotion. I used a moisturiser first and while it was drying I applied this stuff, but it got to the stage where it was rubbing off in small sticky clumps as it was drying.

When it was dried it did leave a nice colour, wore well and didnt leave any patchiness my mousse fake tan eventually does towards day 5-7.

I'm too used to the mousse fake tans (st moritz) that allows you to blend more product into larger areas of the skin a lot faster than this. Maybe I'm appling it wrong....

Will probably use up the bottle if I can be bothered to reapply only based on the colour. But wont repurchase.