August 22, 2014 | 1722 users online

Styling Products - Ouidad - Climate Control Gel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2010 10:53:00 AM More reviews by beautifuldreamer324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My HG styling product...after using Carol's Daughter and Mixed Chicks, which I absolutely LOVED, it got too expensive ordering everything. I actually grabbed this to try for my daughter who has SUPER coarse dry hair and got it on sale during friends & family. (my hair is naturally curly) It works nice on my toddler's hair right after it's washed. It makes it easy to comb. I decided to try this one day when I was running short on my Mixed Chicks leave in. This stuff is AMAZING. Gives basically the same results as mixed chicks. My hair is super curly and defined (No frizz!) with this product. I get best results immediately after shampooing or wetting hair. I apply this then comb through and add a little more to scrunch up the curls. This works great with my Pert Plus for dry hair. I will be buying this again when I need it. A little goes along way. My 8.5oz bottle has lasted quite awhile after everyday use on both of our hair. There is a $9 bottle avail. that has 2.5oz. I recommend that size to try it out!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2010 12:19:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Curly-haired styling products annoy me (I just needed to say that). They never seem to do what I want, which is defined, soft curls without crunchiness, puffiness, or frizz. With this product, I definitely have to be generous in the amount of time and product that I use (I have long, thick, coarse, naturally curly hair). I have to take my time to make sure I apply everywhere and twist and scrunch the curls. So long as I do that, and donít rush it, this holds pretty well while still being shiny. By the end of the day, though, my curls are limp and donít revive well (but this is when my hair is very long and months overdue for a trim, even when my hair is shoulder-length, this still doesnít hold all day). The formula is very thin and slick, which made me nervous at first because slick usually ends up being crunchy, which it did (albeit not as much as I anticipated). I have to use a ton of the product, so the bottle didnít last long. I wonít buy this again, it takes too much time a product to get the right look, and itís still crunchy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2010 4:01:00 PM More reviews by halimeade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this product in the trial pack that includes the Clear and Gentle Daily Shampoo, Balancing Rise Daily Conditioner, Climate Control Gel, and the Botanical Boost Moisturizing Spray.

I bought the travel pack while I was visiting family in Florida, which is incredibly humid, and a terror on my fine-bodied, curly hair. Usually I am a frizzy, awful mess if I stay outside for too long. This gel totally changed all that! I was incredibly impressed at how this product kept my hair smooth and shiny, while still leaving my hair touchable and bouncy. It feels like you don;t have anything in your hair at all! I use much less product than Ouidad recommends, only a quarter-sized amount for my entire head instead of six times that amount. Since my hair is so fine, I feel like that is all I really need.

I have to say, however, that now that I have returned to school in Oregon, I don't really have as much need of this product at the moment. It doesn't perform so well in dry, heated conditions, and is only average. However, when I go home for Christmas, this is going to be in my bag!

Overall, I feel like this is a great product for curly girls in humid climates, but not great for those that live in cooler, drier climates.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2010 12:18:00 PM More reviews by jarona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Although I really love the shine/glaze serum by Ouidad, I find the other products to be more hype than anything else. I'll explain--I have very coarse hair. It has many personalities. The top hair (which is thinning thank you menopause--but thank you Ken Paves hair and Toppik which covers my "spot") is wavy. The underneath and in back by the nape has a beautiful natural curl. I have a halo of frizz. Normally I have always blown my hair straight--which I really like. However, a couple of years back, I decided to get one of those Ouidad haircuts.
First of all, I did not like the Ouidad cut because the ends were not cut bluntly and therefore, did not look even or healthy. Secondly, the instruction I received from the cutter, was not the best.
I did purchase all the products. This gel, suffice it to say, worked ok during the first half of the day..as the day wore on, I found myself with frizzy, unmanageable hair--and the cut was awful.
So now, I have a ton of Ouidad products and the only two I really like are the protein deep conditioner and the serum.
On the plus side--my daughter has taken a liking to Ouidad products. She has wavy hair that is not frizzy in the least. I think if you have wavy hair these products work well..also my daughter has never put ANY color at all to her hair nor has she highlighted it (she is 20) so she has beautiful virgin hair. I, on the other hand, have abused my hair for over 30 years so perhaps the product does not work as well on totally abused hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2010 8:30:00 PM More reviews by RenaNatroni

Pros:
-Activated some curl that I never knew I had!
-Not crunchy at all--I scrunched out the crunch after it was dry, and my hair felt like it had nothing in it!
-Smell is pleasant, sort of like Clean or Biosilk's serum, if you're familiar with those.

Cons:
-It is almost not crunchy ENOUGH. The hold is so soft that I had to add some other products later to keep it smooth. I'm going to try adding just a bit of Ouidad Tress FX next time.
-Expensive.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2010 4:24:00 PM More reviews by Viesha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Had this product existed years ago, I might have given it a try instead of spending tons of money on spiral perms that just fried my hair. I normally blow dry my hair every day. It appears wavy/straight because I have layers which is how I'm used to styling it. Oddly enough, however, my hair IS curly with the addition of the right product.

I used Climate Control after spraying on Botanical Boost, and let my hair air dry 2 days in a row. I tried it on a weekend in case my hair turned out terrible. It didn't turn out terrible, but unless I put the top and sides of my hair in a large clip, it's a no-go situation.

This product actually activated curls I knew were hiding somewhere. However, here's the catch: The pretty ringlet-like curls were in the back of my head. They looked amazing! I'd never seen my hair do what it did without a perm present. However, since the sides of my head are layered, the curls didn't dry evenly. I made the mistake of touching them while drying, and we all know what happens when we can't keep our hands out of our hair. I had 2 fuzzy dog ears on the sides of my head that wouldn't lay straight or play well with others. The hair on the top of my head is also layered and very short. That hair did nothing, and no curl was present.

Again, if I put my hair up using one of my hair large clippy things, it will actually look interesting. I'm not sure I want to do this for work, though, although it wouldn't be out of the question. Perhaps I need to do the curly look a few more times to get the hang of what I need to do and NOT to do.

Finally, I applied Climate Control after Botanical Boost and blew dry as usual. My style looked fine but my hair felt a little heavy and coated and not really soft like I'm used to. I did use it during rainy weather to see if it kept things under control, and it did. So, it's good as a little extra insurance if you know that you will face some weather that day.

I don't hate the product, but I won't buy again. Would recommend it to someone with curly hair that isn't layered.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2010 3:32:00 PM More reviews by darkharbour

Not 100% effective for frizz, and it made my hair very stiff and crunchy

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2010 6:48:00 PM More reviews by susan11

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have 100 percent african american cottony hair with corkscrew coils/curls. I've been wanting to try this product for years and finally able to pick it up locally at Sephora. I don't like this product at all. Even though it helps define the coils and cut down on frizz my hair feels weird and just not quite right. I'll be returning it back to Sephora today and that's one of the reasons why I bought it. I'll probably exchange for the Balancing Rinse to use with the deep treatment which I do like.

Thumbs down for this. Curls Gelescy and Abba Pure Volume Gel are current HGs for me. Thank goodness.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2009 6:30:00 PM More reviews by soooo

I have very tempermental hair. Only one product works to straighten it and now only one products wroks to wear it curly. I have very frizzy big curly hair and this keeps them compact defined and shiny but still movable and touchable. Smells fantastic and the bottle is cute too. I used this and with some hairspray to control the frizz but this has made the biggest difference. I wouldve given a five if it managed to keep them a little more compact and in control not that the results weren't great already.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2009 10:00:00 AM More reviews by missrachel2930

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

As most of us with naturally curly hair know, it's very difficult to find a styling product that will enhance curls and make them frizz free, but yet not be crunchy. For my hair, this is it. I have shoulder length 3A curls. I use two quarter-sized dollups off this on my hair. One on the bottom half and one on the top half. I tried the styling instructions on the Ouidad web site, but found it was way too much product and made my hair slightly crunchy (not a big deal; I just scrunched it out). All the product also weighed my hair down. With just the two dollups, I find I don't have to scrunch out my hair as much when it dries like I normally do with other products. The only thing I don't care as much for is the new packaging. It's impossible to see how much product is left in the bottle because of the full label. You just have to guess. I also don't like that I can't just go buy this in a store and that I have to order it. But, it's an excellent product and I get a lot of compliments on my curls.