Neostrata Self Tan

4.4

Aqua, Dihydroxyacetone, Carpylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, cetyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Stearate, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTa, BHT, Sodium Metabisulfite, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Popylparaben, Fragrance, Yellow 6, Red 40, Blue 1

on 4/19/2009 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

My skintype & tone: eczema prone, sensitive, oily to very oily t-zone, blackhead & acne prone; C4 in MAC studiofix, 205 in Makeup Forever Duo Mat; medium with beige undertone.

WOW! This product really delivers in terms of pigmentation; does not contain any serious irritants; slight (and somewhat pleasant) fragrance which did not bother my ultra sensitive skin; smooth satin-matte texture which did not seem to aggravate any acne/blackheads. All in all, it passes the sensitive/comedogenic factor with flying colors.

This product is fairly easy to apply, provided that you are either wearing a pair of form fitting plastic gloves to apply it to your body or using a smooth-surfaced cosmetic sponge to apply it to your face. It does have a tint acting as a color guide, and goes on almost black, but the color will fade significantly when you wash it off. I've read some reviews on here from people with light to medium skintones who noticed *no* pigmentation change, honey.. you must be doing something wrong. I am a little on the dark side of a medium skintone and noticed a SIGNIFICANT change after less than 7 hours of application.

So, a few tips:
as per a common rule, always exfoliate at least a day prior to applying any self tanners; always apply to a thoroughly cleansed face (any residues of makeup will result in blotches on your face); apply with a *very* smooth surfaced cosmetic sponge to your face as if you are applying foundation, this ensures a smooth and streak free finish; always use plastic gloves when applying to your body; the basic idea is to AVOID using your bare hands as to end up with orange palms. Make sure the product on your face/body is completely dry and absorbed before putting on any clothing. Additionally, although you can probably apply this stuff then go to sleep right away, when I apply it to my face, I try to do it during a day where I don't have to leave the house because I find that this stuff doesn't absorb as well through the face and ended up staining my pillows -- and worst, leaving blotches on my face when it was rubbed off on my pillows.

One important note is to *NOT* apply any lotion/cream/serum based moisturizers immediately before applying a self tanner. The moisturizer will form a barrier film over your face which may interfere with the effectiveness of the self tanner (this is especially true in serum-type moisturizers which leaves silicones on your face). I have some patchy and flaky areas on my face and I like to remedy this by applying a spray-type moisturizer prior to self tanner application. Currently I am having excellent results with MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Spray, which is a toner-type, but contains phospholipids, cholesterol, antioxidants & sodium PCA which does wonders for your skin's barrier.

Those of you with any kind of hyperpigmentations (including post acne marks) on your face may find that this product may leave your face looking kind of blotchy aftewards. If you are unhappy with the result in any way, there really is nothing to remedy this except for time. You can however help to quicken the process by using an effective and ph-correct BHA product and a washcloth a couple of times a day to speed along the overturn of skin cells.

on 4/12/2009 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have a fair/mediam skin tone and I tan really dark super easily in the summer. The Neostrata tanner will never quite give me a tan as dark, however, it's pretty darn close. This tanner will turn you really BROWN, whereas other brands will turn you really orange/brown.
After one application, I'm definatly noticably darker in color. I will repeat the application the next day. Woohoo I have a decent tan. Third day I apply again, and after that, I am a bronze goddess! It looks like I spent a week at the beach. Friends and strangers give compliments. I usually reapply every 4-5 days.
Please Note: Always EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE. If you don't, your tanner won't go on evenly, it won't absorbe properly, and it will end up blotchy.

This stuff looks like thick gross mud. It also dries freekin FAST! I always add in a little bit of my normal moisturizer so that it will spread easier and more evenly. It will also absorb into your skin way better.

Oh ya, and wear gloves!! This stuff stains your hands and wrists dark brown. If you don't wear gloves when applying, then rub your hands with Contact Lens Saline Solution. Something it it dissolves the self tanner instantly.

on 4/2/2009 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

i have porcelain white skin and this is the best self tanner i have ever used as far as realistic color goes. This just gives a very light natural brown color to my skin-it looks very dark at first but it is just the color guide which rinses off as soon as you shower. As long as i wash off the color guide it doesn't stain -so i recommend applying right before bed and shower off in the morning. Also its very thick(chocolate pudding like)and can be hard to spread quick and evenly--but instead of regular gloves-buy the kind you would use for washing dishes and make sure they are the one with the textured palms-it will go on so much more evenly-the only cons:wears off 2 days and the cost to ship from canada is same as the price of tanner($32 total) sun labs works almost just as well for me but for like half the price

on 3/31/2009 6:40:00 PM

this provides very good color but a few issues to be aware of
1) you must work fast with this and blend very quickly
2) the product turns green if it is "off" or sitting around the store too long, too old. disgusting. be careful to buy a new batch
3) this stains your hands like crazy. i used to apply with latex gloves, but that made application move more slowly. i would love hints or tips on avoiding this issue!
4) same unavoidable self tanner scent develops as with all products.. sigh :(

on 2/23/2009 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Well...I finally found out what everyone here has been raving about. The Insta tan by Neostrata.What an amazing product. I am very fair blonde hair blue eyes and this product gave me the best color in one application. It goes on almost black but at least you can see where your putting it and then doesn't even really smell that bad. In a few hours I had a really nice color. I put it on face and body and didn't have any problems. I have also added a new picture of it as they have changed packaging here in Canada.

on 2/6/2009 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This is a great product! I use it in the summer as I rarely tan (who needs photodamage). I am medium-skinned, but my legs are alarmingly pale and I have very visible veins due to thin skin, this product helps cover those up so I can wear skirts!

on 1/18/2009 4:10:00 PM

I bought the Insta-tan, and once applied, it looked green. And I was hesitant to take it off because I read that it's supposed to turn that color. So after waiting a while and washing it off the next day, I was surprised to find a nice tan. Definitely repurchasing.

on 6/23/2008 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This review is for Neostrata Natural Insta-tan.
I bought this self tanner based on MUA reviews and it definitely did not disappoint. AWESOME.
Applies beautifully with no streaking and the colour is perfect-a nice golden tan with one application and the second application giving me that beautiful deep golden tan that i have coveted for years. The rules apply to all tanners-exfoliate, moisturize and apply. It did not leave stains on my clothes. It is vastly better than savage bronze which was my staple for years
I purchased from a canadian pharmacy for $31 including s+H.
Gets 5 stars from me.

on 6/22/2008 9:35:00 PM

I finally found this at an online Canadian pharmacy. Yes, it is expensive (shipping is very high), but it is my new favorite! I used to use Clarins Liquid Bronze (which is still good), but I prefer the color of this. It goes on nicely but wear gloves because the color guide will stain your hands. I'd buy it again, but I'll price compare w/ the Clarins first... they're both great, but this is just a bit better. Oh, it comes in a pump, and the excess in the pump tends to leak out, so the packaging could be better.

on 6/19/2008 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product gives a dark tan with a nice color and minimal smell. The cons are that it sits on the surface of the skin so if you are caught in the rain or splashed with water it leaves marks, it also rubs off on your clothes. However i do like this product, make sure you apply with a self tanning glove, b/c it will leave your palms very dark. I have tried lots of self tanners and i would re purchase this one, however my favorite is glow fusion despite all the bad reviews, that is by far my favorite it lasts a long time and has a beautiful color but it is expensive.

Video Reviews & Tutorials