September 23, 2014 | 1070 users online

Loose Powders - Jurlique - Silk Dust

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2010 1:18:00 PM More reviews by flojob

I've been using this powder in rose for a while. It works well to control shine throughout the day, though the scent can be a little overwhelming. I like the sifter, but I usually apply with a kabuki brush or an under-eye powder brush. My skin is very dark tan, but this doesn't make me look chalky or pale. A light dusting settles invisibly. Overall a great loose powder, but nothing to go crazy over.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2010 2:47:00 AM More reviews by asianista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading the raving comments about this product, I bought it on sale on strawberrynet (love this website) and couldn't wait to try it.
The smell is fantastic (both Rose and Citrus), texture is fine, packaging is awesome (I now use it for my LaNeige loose powder). However, I get a really whitish glow from dusting even a light layer of it on my face. I'm caucasian, fair/med skin, never go in the sun and usually use products that are lighter in color than what most women use in Canada (been in Asia for too long!!!) But this one is way too ghostly for me. Made me look 'old!'
After reading the ingredients, I looked in my cupboard and tried on rice starch and had similar results for a fraction of the price. I'm sure if you add a drop or two of rose/citrus/lavender essential oil in rice or yam starch (or a mix of both) and shake a lot, you probably get a similar product (silk protein powder is also available online on makeup supply websites.)
All in all, what is the HG for someone is sometimes the 'what was I thinking of' purchase for others!!!!
C'est la vie!!!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2009 6:50:00 PM More reviews by lboogy

Love the smell of this finishing silk dust. I never leave home without a puff on my face. It also freshens up my brushes with a rosy scent. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2009 3:15:00 AM More reviews by sane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's been a challenge to find something better than this. I've on to my 4th jar, and I've used both Lavender and Rose. The white powder looks awfully white in the jar, but is practically invisible on the face if applied lightly. I use the Stila powder brush (#8) to apply a thin layer and the powder ends up evenly on my face even when the foundation is still sticky. The powder sets my makeup, keeps away the oil and smells lovely. Before using this powder, I did not like lavender or rose scents, but I really like both scents in the powder. The powder gives my face a nice matt yet polished look which is natural, doesn't change the colour of the makeup underneath (which usually happens when I used coloured LP), and blends in nicely with my neck. The powder doesn't cause a whitish cast when I'm photographed either. It takes me a long time to finish the jar (>8 mths) even though I use it daily. It's rather pricey at the counters but I buy it in a Sydney health food shop which gives 30% off the retail price. I make sure that I stock up on this when I'm in Sydney.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2009 2:59:00 AM More reviews by purrsian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Mine is Lavender. :)

It's very translucent and stay nicely on the face, my skin can breathe and feels like I have not worn anything. I usually apply this after facial massage with essential oil and Dr. Hauschka's rose day cream. I'm looking forward to try the rose powder after I finish this lavender :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2009 8:39:00 PM More reviews by StaceyRoy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

In Australia at least (Jurlique is an Australian company) this is now called 'Silk Finishing Powder'. The packaging has also changed - the powder is now in a plastic tub with a brown hinged lid, with a powder puff and mirror inside. I've got this in Rose. I should probably be using Citrus as I've got oily skin, but this one was 50% off as it was nearing expiry so I grabbed it -Jurlique products are so rarely on sale. With discount it cost me $21.50 AUD. Plus, I read somewhere (I think in another review) that the ingredients for each 'flavour' are the same, apart from the citrus, rose or lavender essence, so it probably doesn't make much difference. What's not to love about this product? It smells divine, feels like silk on the skin and keeps my skin matte for longer. I prefer this to a traditional powder, especially for touch-ups, as it is completely colourless on the skin... I find some traditional powders can make my skin look 'dirty' if I use them for touch-ups. All in all a HG product for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2009 12:25:00 PM More reviews by rockgoddss03

color me suprised. i bought this in rose purely for the smell. i really wanted to try citrus but the review below made me wonder. and i know i like rose so i figured stick with what i know. now there are 3 powders that are supposed to be for different skin type, but the ingredients are exactly the same except for the smells. and if they think the essential oil smells can be for different skin types they're wrong. the lavender one is for dry skin but lavender oil is actually drying. but anyway ... skipping over the whole different skin types thing, this is a great powder. usually when i put powder over my tinted moisturizer i can still feel the tacky a little. but with this i felt my face and it seriously felt and looked like silk. and the smell is strong, yeah, and sensitive people might sneeze, but i kinda like it. and the top doesnt screw off, it is like a pop up lid, its brilliant! the only hard part is getting powder out. i just hold it upright and tap the side. the powder sort of shoots up. oh, and they should make the powder puff a different color, so you can see where the powder is. its hard to tell if i have enough or too much, since the puff and powder are white. this stuff REALLY helps with oilies and shine. im giving it a real test today for work, i'll update.

UPDATE: so it really is great, but i dont use it too often. why? because for one, it has no color, and i dont wear tinted moisturizer anymore. im pale .. so i kind of look geisha. for two, no spf. i keep my morning routine VERY minimal, so i need an all in one product, which means spf, redness minimizing powder, and oil control powder. this only helps in one area. now that i think about it, a kabuki brush would probably make this wonderful. i still love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2009 12:10:00 AM More reviews by sandybabii

bought the citrius one based on the reviews here and have been using for about a month now. Great for setting the foundation and the silk dust makes skin look smooth. Make up doesn't oil as much during the day either. Only thing i don't like about this product is it's very hard to get out and to get the right amount out. Have to shake it a bit and sometimes a whole heap comes out and sometimes just a little. Other than that the product is great!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2009 10:37:00 AM More reviews by freeangelgal_0707

A fine powder with a beautiful sent, can be used on face or body. Great product with a huge price tag !!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2009 9:33:00 AM More reviews by esque

HG alert! Am never switching to any other powder for touch up or finishing again (unless it's to try this in citrus or lavender)

I'm reviewing the new compact version - the one with the brown lid, sponge and mirror. I bought this because of the word on the street reviews and because of the rose. Was a bit eh? when I first got it.

I put this on after foundation and coloured loose/pressed powder to set it and to touch up during the day.
Setting foundation : I dust this on using a powder brush (or use the sponge) after applying foundation and coloured powder. It tones down any uneveness/glitz/tide marks from makeup.
Touch ups: I don't use pressed tinted powder compacts anymore, this is all I use besides blot sheets. My problem with pressed powder was that firstly it could go on unevenly, what with the grime and sweat from the day, and secondly it might not match tone perfectly, especially with sweat tending to make more powder stick. Silk dust is light enough, and sheer enough (being white) to dab up oil and sweat and blur lines and demarcations from makeup.

I've had this for a year and have been using this intensively for six months. There's still half the tub left.

Be careful with the sponge - I took it out to wash it and found that it acts as a plug perfectly due to it's size and weight. Putting in a smaller (normal sized) one as a replacement wasn't enough to cover the holes and some could leak out into the sponge bay so when you opened it a cloud would come out and stuff would spill on you.

A gripe is the price. It is probably more effective than the old version, but why the price disparity? However I don't use this much so it is worth it.

It might be good to get this when Jurlique has it's rare GWP offers.