August 21, 2014 | 1330 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Facial Cleansing Bar

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2011 11:05:00 PM More reviews by pastelflower

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I received a coupon for a free bar and was looking forward to trying this. I thought it would be gentle because it looks like the Purpose soap I used to use as a teenager.
Unfortunately, as soon as it touched my skin, it BURNED like nothing else! I washed it off immediately (desperately!) and my skin felt really tight and uncomfortable. I suffered some dryness from it but thank goodness nothing worse happened.
This soap definitely needs to be swatch-tested before using!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by bella418

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i was attracted to this product because it was so inexpensive and ingredient list seemed harmless. i purchase the unscented formula thinking i was safe, but this stuff broke my skin out within a day. so i tried using it as just a bar soap and that was a mistake too. it doesn't rinse off clean.. leaves some weird film that no other soap has done to me. this stuff just zapped my curiosity of the possible simplicity bar soaps can bring.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by AmyAngel96

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So, in the late 80's when I was just coming into my teens, I started getting acne and the Neutrogena bar soap (plus the Bonne Belle 10-0-6 toner) was recommended to me by EVERYONE. I tried it, and over the years I've tried a ton of other things as well. Nothing has ever cleared my face up completely. Over the past year or two I've switched to using mostly Neutrogena cleansing stuff (gels and scrubs), and when preparing for an overseas trip I decided to pick up a bar of this, just to have one less liquid to go in the little quart ziplock bag. I hadn't tried it since the late 80's and was a little wary, but figured I could handle it for a week.

And... I like it! My skin seems to like it, I don't break out any more than I used to and I think I may be breaking out LESS than before. My skin didn't freak out while out of the country - and often a change of water makes me break out - even though our shower and sink water was coming directly from a tributary of the Amazon river and was not exactly clean. It seems to be working just as well here at home, with my super-chlorinated city water. There is a scent to it (vaguely patchouli-esque, I think?) that took a little getting used to, but I don't dislike it.

The trip was in June, and I cut the bar in half and threw away the half I took to Peru (so I didn't have to carry it home), so I've been using just the other half since I got back, and there's still TONS left. I'll stick with this until the bar runs out, and probably will buy another bar then. I ranked the price as dirt cheap, just because the bar lasts so long. It'll be months before I need to buy another, and a full bar will likely last forever!

As long as my skin continues to cooperate, I think this is going to be my go-to cleanser. Cheap because it lasts forever, works well, easy to travel with... total thumbs up from me!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2011 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Chickeys

I was using this in the morning for a while to replace my Pond's wipes (those get used up in 2 weeks with twice-daily use, it gets spendy!), and it was ok -- it felt like it was really stripping my skin unless I was removing some hard-core grit...and in the morning, I don't have that! My skin is combo, sometimes oily but can dry out depending on the day, and this bar felt too stripping...very squeaky-feeling afterward, and not in the good way. It did last forever and is easy to travel with in a plastic case, but I won't buy it again. I would recommend it for ladies with seriously oily skins...I think. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2011 1:15:00 PM More reviews by ckizable

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product!!! I never had many problems with my skin, then when I got into my 20s, I started to. I've used so many different brands and high end brands especially. I LOVE this. My skin really stays clean and it's so clear when I use this. In fact, I think it's because it's so simple that it has a nice affect on my skin. My husband uses it too, so, it's wonderfully convenient for us. :)

However, recently, we just opened our new package and it smelled SO WEIRD!! I was wondering if it was just a bad bar or if they changed the smell. I sure hope it was just a bad bar. I actually never minded the scent and actually liked it. It wasn't too perfumey or fruity, but just was clean. But, this last bar we used, was so horrible smelling that neither one of us was able to use it. Has anyone else experienced a change in the smell? I even tried using it so much to get used to it and it didn't work. :( But, I really don't want to stop using this product, but we really couldn't stand it at all!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2011 11:31:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

I've been using this product for about 18 months. I have very oily and acne-prone skin so I 'm always wary of trying new things on my face. The only thing this soap does that I don't like is sting my eyes; otherwise I think it may be my HG cleanser. I use it in the morning with a Sephora scrub brush and at night to remove my makeup. I rarely see traces of makeup on my toner-soaked cotton ball. I buy it in a package of three at Shoppers Drug Mart and keep it in a container after using it so it has time to dry off and not melt into a gooey mess. I find holding the soap under water while lathering it in my hands and then applying it to my faces gives me the kind of lather I need to make sure my face is getting cleaned. My skin looks good. For once. Will continue to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2011 1:53:00 PM More reviews by busyatdizzy

Was recommended this bar from my oldest daughter. I love it more than anything that I have put on my face in the past two years. I have sensitive, combination fairly oily skin in my T-zone that drives me insane day and night. I have used the most expensive items that I can afford and nothing has done what this bar did right from the start. It lathered quite well, felt great
on my skin, rinsed well and left my skin feeling good. Not dry and tight and uncomfortable by any means. during the day I use this with my Clinique toner 3, and the Dramatically Different moisturizing gel. Perfection. I can honestly say that the $1.97 that I paid for it was worth its weight in gold. BTW I picked up the unscented bar and it's great, the lack of smell doesn't bother me at all.

BIG THUMBS UP!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2011 5:28:00 PM More reviews by kazcoopse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Just a fuss free, great product. I have really dry cheeks and a very oily t zone and this really helps control both. It doesn't feel soapy on the skin and rinses well. Obviously, skin still needs to be exfoliated regularly and looked after, but this is great for a non-aggravating face wash.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by sarahJ19

I am in loveee with this!!! it has no acne medication and its so gentle. I have the weirdest skin ever so if it worked for me, give it some time and it will work for you! I have ACNE PRONE combination skin and i just follow with a light gel moisturizer after and your skin just feels incredible.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 9:26:00 PM More reviews by saamannthaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really think this has helped clear my acne. I had mild-moderate acne and now it's at the minimal. Instead of swollen 'papules' they're swollen red pimples. Still swollen, but 10 times better & they actually blend into my acne scars.
Anyway, I use this in the morning (& at night if I don't shower) and my face looks soo much better. I wish I would have tried this earlier. It doesn't have fragrance and even though it leaves skin squeaky clean, my skin is still soft & feels like it has moisture. It also feels like some is still on my face (residue), but obviously there isn't. Plus it's $2USD for one bar, $5 for three. I highly recommend this product!
My regimine, if you're wondering: This in the morning & I follow up with Clean & Clear Pre Perfecting SPF 15 moisturizer after. Then at night (in the shower) I use Olay Definity Pore Redefining Scrub & Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Lotion after. Viola!