Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

4.3

on 12/28/2009 1:24:00 PM

PRO: Pretty natural for a cake type. (I'm N15 and use the Mahogany Brown for day.). It will last you forever in the pan; seems it never runs out.

CONS: Takes some practice in using.

USAGE TIPS: LM has a brush for this called "Pointed Eyeliner brush." Very thin line is possible with it. Trish McEvoy has Brush #11 "Precise Eye Lining" that is a stiffer brush for tightlining.

ALTERNATES: Revlon Colorstay or the i-color line of liquid liners by Almay.

on 10/13/2009 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I love this.
I love that it's not a gel liner - I love that it won't dry out.
I love that it's water activated. I love how pigmented it is.
I love how it looks when I tight-line with this.
I love how long it lasts. I love how natural this eyeliner can look and how dramatic it can look.
I am going to buy this in the brown and the blue.
Pencil liners seem like such a waste when you find these.

Her flat eyeliner brush is amazing too.

on 8/24/2009 2:48:00 PM

LM Cake Eyeliners come in their own mirrored compacts that you can use as is, or pop out into a custom 3- or 6-well compact. I like to apply this with Benefit's Angled Eye brush, dampened with some water.

Black Ebony is, of couse, very black. Goes on precisely and lasts forever. I can put this on in the evening, go out, forget to wash my face, and it's still there perfectly when I wake up in the morning.

This is a pretty good eyeliner, but I prefer LM's Caviar eyeliner. I think the cavier stays on the waterline better, and I prefer the versatility of using them as either precise or smokey (the cakes are only good for precise lining, must use eyeshadow to so a smokey eye.)

I wore this for the first time today, and it went back to the store at the end of the day. I don't think I've ever had an eyeliner migrate as much as this one did today - I had to wipe underneath my eyes every hour with a tissue to collect the smears of black that had migrated down there off of my upper eyeline. I must have looked like I'd been crying all day...I can understand wanting a smoky look, but this wasn't even close - it was more of a gunky look. I do not use a lot of eyeliner, either. I have very long upper and lower eyelashes, so maybe the lower lashes had something to do with the migration. At any rate, it was very messy and unattractive. I exchanged for the LM black caviar eyeliner - We'll see how that goes.

on 3/23/2009 5:17:00 AM

Good stuff. Kinda expensive, but it lasts pretty much forever. I use it with a Sonia Kashuk angled eye liner brush, and it's just perfection <3 Lasts all day, super easy to apply, and gives off a pretty intense black. LOOOOVE IT.

on 3/21/2009 4:22:00 AM

Since pretty much everything in my makeup bag is from LM, I was really excited when I bought this. I have to say, this is one of the few LM products I don't like.
reason:
1. takes too long to put on. From wetting the brush to figuring out the right consistency of the liner. It doesn't sound like much but I'm a person that's pretty much in a rush to get to work every morning so I just don't have the time and patience to figure it out. sometimes it's too sheer so I have to keep reapplying... I know this is probably because I don't have rad liner skills but if you need something quick and easy this is probably not for you.
2. The first day I wore this, I ran into a personal issue and broke out in tears. I held it in since i was at work so it wasn't a full on crying session. Point is, I had NO eyeliner left whatsoever after!!! AT ALL. I was so disappointed. When I wore my Bobby Brown gel liner there would still a lot left even after full on crying sessions.

I wish i could return the brush and liner but I lost the box :(

on 3/19/2009 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

While I would very much like to say that Laura's tightlining technique is a wonderful thing, on my very teary eyes, all I end up with is eyeliner running all over the place. That said, if I use a round brush and a traditional technique, this liner applies easily, lasts all day, and looks smashing! The only downside for me is the amount of time it takes to wet the cake enough to get it going. When I'm feeling rushed or lazy, I just use a L'Oreal Lineur Intense felt tip, and get nearly equivalent performance.

For application, I use Loew-Cornell Series 7000 brushes, a #6 shader (almost exactly like the LM Flat Eyeliner Brush, but less than $5) and a #2 round.

I like this enough that I'm going to also purchase the Mahogany and Bleu Marine colors.

on 3/5/2009 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Well, it looks like I am in a minority here, but I do not like the performance of this eyeliner. However, I do love the concept. I bought this along with the LM flat brush, and used both with just plain water and Metamorfix (liquid that turns eyeshadows and cake eyeliners into liquid WATERPROOF eyeliners) and I still couldn't get the longevity and performance I was after. I tried both LM method (under the lash line) and standard (tight lash line) and both times, this ended up smudging, coming off or flaking.
Pros:
1) Great method, you can mix your own consistency which makes the product more versatile and customizable depending on the method you are using
2) Would've probably lasted me a long time even with daily use
3) Quick and easy to apply
Cons:
1) Staying power sucks IMHO
2) Cost - this is an expensive product
So, this is my third LM product, 1 I adore and 2 I dislike, so I think LM as a brand is probably just not my cup of tea or does not seem to sit well with me. For a brand that is so expensive, I think it has to deliver flawlessly, which is just not the case.

on 12/25/2008 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

My friend used to work at the Laura Mercier counter at Bloomindales and successfully convinced me to buy a bunch of LM products I didn't necessarily want or need. The ONLY thing I'm truly happy about purchasing is this eyeliner (with the flat liner brush). If applied right, I find this stuff to be the longest lasting eyeliner EVER. That being said, it did take me awhile to perfect putting it on and in the process of learning I managed to poke myself in the eye more than once. I once accidentally fell asleep wearing this eyeliner and the next morning it still looked freshly applied, if that gives you any idea of its staying power. Anyway, not an everyday eyeliner for me due to how long it takes to apply, but my go-to eyeliner for going out/weekends.

on 12/17/2008 11:07:00 PM

I love this product so much that I am now on my third Black Ebony eyeliner! I have used this product for years now and it has never let me down. It is so easy to use (especially with Laura Mercier's liner brush), and the color is buildable - you can create a sheer line, or put multiple layers to create a true black line. I also love that it does not budge/smear - yet it is so easy to remove at the end of the day. Absolutely lovely product!