April 16, 2014 | 1904 users online

Liquid - Merle Norman - Luxiva Lasting Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2011 4:47:00 PM More reviews by victoriasinger

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

one word: AMAZING.

i have been searching for the perfect matte foundation foreever now! i have the oiliest skin ever and this is perfect:) perfect color also! LOVE.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2011 3:21:00 AM More reviews by blueroses99

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This foundation provides medium to full coverage. Gives off a slightly dewy finish and last for hours over a good face primer. That being said it does tend to show off dry patches in your skin after awhile. Moisturize before you apply if you have dry skin. It will make a difference. A very good foundation that will last you. Doesn't cause breakouts. Biggest downside is the price...but you get what you pay for.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2011 6:29:00 PM More reviews by mlevek

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Luckily, I didn't purchase this, just tried a sample. Maybe I used way too much but I put it on just like my Revlon Colorstay. I loved it at first, the coverage is phenomenal! But, as it started to dry, my face became tight and EVERY single wrinkle and dry patch showed. (Even wrinkles I didn't know I had!) I also put powder over the top which I think is not necessary with this! As the day goes on, I'm finding it's getting weirder, very splotchy. If you have VERY oily skin, you would probably love this but it's way to drying for my combo skin! Excellent coverage though! Think I'll stick to my Colorstay!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2011 1:29:00 AM More reviews by haleymelancon06

This is honestly the best foundation I have found to date. It gives awesome coverage, and stays on forever..almost to the point where it's hard to get off lol. It dries fairly quickly, so you kind of have to work fast with it. The only bad thing I can really say about it is the price isn't that great..and with everyday use I go through the tube in about a month or two. I have been searching for a cheaper alternative, but have yet to find one that works as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2010 11:04:00 PM More reviews by bibianchan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pro:
- ease of use: the consistency of the foundation is great, it's very light, very easy to apply
- (a bit) economy: a little goes a long way, a pea size is good for my entire face
- coverage: medium-full coverage, no fine-lines showing
- matte: oil-free throughout the day, creating this perfect look, okay for my dry skin

Con:
- a bit dramatic for daily life (although it does looks more natural after hours) looks like an anchor lady / bride for whole day
- pricy: $32 USD for 1 oz. SA said container has to be air-tight or the whole thing will be wasted.
update: this thing gives me little pimples, can't wear it :( continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2010 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Lucy60

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Good foundation without looking like foundation. Covers my not-so-flawless face so well that I get compliments on what a nice complexion I have (if they only knew!). Stays put all day, doesn't smear or bleed onto clothing. Can be drying, but if you put MN moisturizer prior to applying, it doesn't feel or look drying . Best foundation I have found for Houston's high humidity. A bit on the expensive side, but lasts a while, so it is worth it. Have been using MN since I was a teen. It is a great brand, just misunderstood.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2010 9:25:00 PM More reviews by annievell

Okay Okay, heres the deal with this foundation if you are wondering....
people who review this saying "ew omg this is like wearing a mask" are obviously not looking for a long wear-good coverage foundation. If you want a light tinted moisturizer, this aint for you. if you want something super natural looking....sorry, same goes for you. I wear makeup because my skin isn't usually all that great and i dont care if people can see i wear makeup....because i WANT THE COVERAGE...and unfortunately, i havent found a foundation that has decent coverage and is invisible to the naked eye. this is what it is. good buildible coverage, long lasting. smudge proof awesomeness (if you think like i do) ... i dont want to hug someone and leave a face print on their shirt....this wont do that. yes you can swim in it, tho who would really wanna do that, idk. doesn't clog my pores as far as i can tell and as far as a setting powder i would recommend MN oil control translucent powder. its awesome...to the point.

EDIT: the less you use of this, the better it will look on your skin as the day progresses. ex: as my skin improves (THANK YOU JOJOBA OIL) im using less foundation. if you use more of this, as the day progresses you might get little spots on your nose and chin when you may be more oily. the less you use, the less this happens... but the foundation will still accentuate pores due to oil (i have oily skin) and will make foundation a little "sticky"

i thiiiink my new HG is double wear.... though this comes in a close second.

FINAL EDIT 4/16/11

i keep trying to come back to this....but after comparing it to the EL DW line, i know for sure that this doesn't match up!

it looks nice for the first 5 hours on my oily skin...which is good!...but when it gets oily, YOUR SCREWED! your foundation gets super tacky with this (if you have oily skin like me) and separates around the pores, which gets VERY hard to correct after it occurs. DWL is comparable. still gets a little oily, but not tacky. less coverage with DWlight, but at least its easier to maintain throughout the day with a little powder

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

After much experimentation, research, and monetary waste, I can finally say that I have found my "HG" foundation. I have extremely oily skin and live in a humid Southern climate, so most foundations oxidize and dissolve by around 4:00 PM each day. My skin also has significant acne scarring and redness that can be difficult to conceal.

Enter MN's Luxiva Lasting Foundation -- it leaves my skin beautifully matte and porcelain-like from the moment I put it on until the time I take it off. I do have to blot once or twice throughout the day, but the foundation maintains its beautiful color. It does darken slightly as the day goes on, but nothing that a quick touch-up can't fix. I pay $28 for it -- less than I was paying for Lancome's Fresh Wear, and for a far superior product. I put my cream blush on over it and then set it with Merle Norman's Oil Control Pressed Powder. I would recommend this wonderful product to anyone with oily skin who needs buildable, long-lasting, and natural-looking coverage!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

I really hope that this never gets discontinued, because I'm pretty sure it's my HG! Like many users, I really didn't think much of Merle Norman makeup. We all know their line is not as "hip" as many other brands out there. Thus, I am very impressed with their makeup line, it's something I wished I discovered earlier!

First of all, I'm a student in a professional school. I was in need of a foundation that will last throughout the school day (typically from 10-5, sometimes 8-5 @_@). Also, I wouldn't want to see patients without at least looking fresh and polished.

With my very oily skin type, it has been hard to find a foundation that would last long on me. I have tried many liquid foundations (Revlon Colorstay, Rimmel Stay Matte, L'Oreal True Match, MAC StudioFix, Clinique Superfit, Avon Ideal Shade, MAC F&B, etc. etc.) and none really held up throughout the day. Mineral foundations didn't perform as well as I'd like either, and not to mention the MESS that they make. For the past few years, I have been searching for the "cheap-but-good" liquid foundation. However, I can say now that I have wasted too much $$ trying to find something under that criteria. This foundation is not cheap by any means (I got mine for $26), but it really is a good investment, especially since I'm sure I'll be wearing it daily.

With this foundation, I recommend using a light moisturizer (I'm using Neutrogena's Oil-Free Moisture SPF35) with the Merle Norman foundation primer, and a setting powder on top (I'm using ELF's HD powder or ELF's Complexion Perfection powder). I have been using this combo every day and I get a natural, matte finish with medium coverage. Best of all, I don't need to use a whole lot of this foundation to cover my entire face! My brush of choice to use with this foundation is ELF's Studio Foundation brush.

Supposedly, this foundation has some Retinol in it. The SA told me that your skin would look better after you wash the foundation off, but I'm not sure I would believe that. I can say that I haven't broken out at all with this foundation, though my skin is not as acne-prone as it used to be. I did read some reviews before buying the foundation and I haven't read anyone say that it broke them out. I think as long as you wash your face well at night, you'll be okay!

As far as color matching, I found a near perfect shade for my light-medium, golden-olive, Asian (NC30ish) skin. The shade I was matched to was "Natural", which is the 4th warm shade. I could have also gotten away with "Creamy Beige", but I felt it had more orange than "Natural" did. "Natural" is definitely yellow-toned with the slightest amount of peach. I did like the fact that each shade was categorized to warm or cool, but none are labeled as neutral (which might be a problem for some). Perhaps some shades lean towards the neutral side, but I can say that their warm shades are truly yellow toned, which is something which a lot of drugstore foundations don't have.

Overall, if you're looking for a liquid foundation that is long-lasting, provides medium coverage, and gives a matte finish, this is for you! <333 this foundation!

EDIT:
I have been using Milk of Magnesia as a primer for the past few days, and I will say that it works well with my skin and this foundation...actually, even better than the Merle Norman primer (although that is also nice). If you have very oily skin, I highly recommend using MoM as a primer!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2010 7:24:00 PM More reviews by jennrowe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation leaves a really nice matte finish. It is perfect for someone who likes liquid foundation and needs something that is long lasting. Even though it is long lasting it blends so easily and is so silky feeling to the skin. It is extremely lightweight as well.