Avene Soothing Eye Contour Cream

3.8

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Sucrose Stearate, PEG 12, Sucrose Distearate, Triethanolamine, Batyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Carbomer, Dextran Sulfate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Glucoside

on 11/30/2010 4:12:00 PM

The area around my eyes is too sensitive for most creams, and gets really dry and red and painful. I was looking for something that was very gentle and moisturising, but not so rich that it'd make my under-eyes puffy (which is what clinique all about eyes rich did). And something that wouldn't make my eyes water if it got into them (which is what Origins mega-mushroom eye serum sadly did).

I'm not looking for miracles, and I can't attest to it doing more than making my eyes happy - it doesn't irritate in any way and it's kept my eyes completely moisturised for a few months, including throughout some below-freezing windy nightmare weather. Sometimes, during half-asleep mornings or nights, I even give my eyeballs a little coating of this cream, and they don't seem to mind.

If I stop using this for more than a couple of days, the area around my eyes gets tight and nippy again. I really like the packaging and the consistency, it sinks into my skin easily. My tube is nearing an end, it's lasted over two months and I probably use more than is really needed. It costs less than half the price of the two eyecreams I mentioned above and I'm a hundred times happier with it, so I think that works out as good value.

on 11/21/2010 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Neutral

The area around my eyes have been drying up lately due to the weather and my tendency towards hot showers. Using my normal Shiseido moisturizer wasn't doing the trick, so I decided to get my first eye cream at the tender of 20!

I bought this product from an Australian chain called Priceline for AU$28.99. Found it a bit expensive but my mum encouraged me to buy it ("it's more expensive hence it must be better!") and I must admit I didn't really go around researching for the best price. Pretty pricey for 10ml!

As for the actual performance of the cream, I did find it to hydrate and sooth my eyes after putting it on but didn't notice any physical changes apart from the skin not being so dry. However, I did like how it was unscented because it made it feel more natural as opposed to it having some artificial smell to it.

It came in a little box where the packaging was simple. I like the squeeze function as I find it more hygienic than dipping my fingers into a pot.

As I mentioned earlier, this is my first eye cream so I can't compare it to any other products. I gave it an overall rating of 3/5, where I won't be purchasing it again. Next time, I think I want to try out some other products.

on 9/5/2010 1:19:00 AM

I have used this product for a little over a month, here is my experience with it.

I asked the saleslady to recommend me a good eye cream that is basic: hydrates, is a good base for makeup, and won't cause any problems, with an SPF being a bonus. She instantly told me about this eye cream. I read the box, tested some out, and decided to buy it.

So I took it home, tried it out. It went on without any problem. The next day I wore it in the morning before applying makeup. Eye makeup seemed to go on well enough. The next day when I woke up, I noticed some redness around my eyes. They were small little red dots without any texture. I thought it was weird so I didn't use this cream for another 5 days or so. After that, I wore it again for several weeks almost every day, with no more red marks.

It seemed to be doing a mediocre job...nothing I was too happy with, but I didn't want to stop using this cream because it was pretty expensive for only 10mL. A week or so ago, though, I noticed that when I go days without wearing this eye cream (i.e. being at home on weekends and not going out), the area where I DO apply the cream (lids, under-eyes, and contour) was so DRY. I never had a dry eye area ever before. You could see a white, scratchy area around the eye. I am 100% sure it was due to this cream.

So I've decided to finish using up the tube, but in the meantime also use my Olay Complete spf15 lotion around the eyes (not the eye cream, just the regular face cream..I used to use the eye cream and liked it a lot until I dropped it in the bathroom and it disappeared =P) in the daytime since it protects against the sun, is softer and FEELS more hydrating than Avene.

Overall, not a good product. Skip this purchase and go for something richer in texture, and something less expensive for what it does.

on 9/2/2010 12:09:00 PM

I sometimes get flaky eyelids and this stuff really helps. I might be remembering it wrong but I thought the woman at Shoppers told me to use this only on eyelids?? I am probably wrong, its very gentle and does the trick when ever i have any dryness.

on 8/25/2010 3:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

As I use a retinoid at night, I am not looking for antiaging benefits and I find that this is a very soothing, light moisturising cream for warm weather or if the skin around my eyes is irritated or puffy - handy for travelling, especially as the tube is small. I also have the Bioderma cream for sensitive eyes, which I slightly prefer for everyday, but the Avene is more healing if I have any dermatitus issues. However, I do feel that my undereye area needs something a little richer and for this I like the Skin Recovery cream in the rich version which has Shea butter as one of the ingredients.

on 8/23/2010 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I just found out this cream contains mineral oils (paraffinum liquidum) and I could probably already stop right here. It is completely beyond me how this fact escaped my notice. I'm usually quite, sorry, anal about ingredients. But with Avéne I didn't even *consider* it a possibility that they could use mineral oils in their skin care. But they do. After realizing this just yesterday, I will buy myself another eye cream today and throw this one away. I had used it for about a month with moderate results, I'd say. Not that it reduced any of the puffiness or fine lines, but my skin felt hydrated and wasn't irritated. Sometimes that seems enough, I figure. So this gets one lippie for that. I would also like to mention that I checked the ingredients for other Avéne products and was shocked to find mineral oils in quite a lot of them. I like Avéne for their thermal water and sun screen and I will keep buying creams but only ones without mineral oil, I'll make sure of that. This eye cream, however, I will definitely not buy again.

on 7/11/2010 11:12:00 PM

Quite simply the best eye cream I have ever used at all price points. Can be used with eye makeup application and have no residue. My eyes beg for this as I try to use up other eye creams. No irritation, no stinging...just firmer hydrated skin. Thank you gingeramma for reccomending. You are da bomb!

on 3/16/2010 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Very soothing to allergic irritated eyes.Had allergic reaction to make up and had 3 weeks of trying everything before the girl at shoppers recommended this.I am impressed.My eyes feel smoother and more hydrated.I am also going to buy the recovery cream as its good for the eyes also and you get way more product,like 40 ml instead of 10ml like this one.

on 10/18/2009 11:46:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I think this is just a simple cream,can t really say what s the difference between the eye cream and their light face cream.It is light, it absorbes well and quickly and that s just about it.
Can t say anything about the anti-puffiness benefit, since my eyes don t "puff".
Smoothes expression lines-well, mine are still in their place , and I have some new ones.not from the cream, of course, but from ageing,smoking, diet and not sleeping enough.After reading some stuff ( on Paula Begoun s site, and paying a little atention about what she said ( eye cream=face cream) I ve decided she was right). So for my eye area , in the night I apply grape oil and, in the morning , before the concelear face cream).
Not sure how to rate this product- probably 3 lippies because is an ok cream.Yet again-no real benefits for my eye area.So, because I ve payed 25 dollars for someting that doesnt really work, I ll make the lippies : 2
Not buying it again

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

A wonderful product that i will continue to buy until a better eye cream comes along.
The thing i love the most about this is that it cause no irritation and does no clog the pores around your eyes giving you milia.
Doesn't do much for bags or wrinkles though (thats why its a lippie down)...i found its purely just good for light hydration aswell as giving you a soothing effect. Would recommend it for the younger audience.