The Body Shop Banana Nourishing Conditioner

3.8

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Musa Paradisica (Banana) Fruit (Emollient/Lubricant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Cetrimonium Chloride (Hair Conditioner), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Honey (Humectant), Hydroxyethylcellulose (Stabiliser/Thickener), Lecithin (Stabiliser/Emulsifier), Panthenol (Skin/Hair Conditioning Agent), Propylene Glycol (Humectant), Fragrance (Fragrance), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Ascorbic Acid (Antioxidant), Yellow 5 (Colour), Yellow 6 (Colour) [March, 2013]

on 5/20/2012 4:31:00 AM

What a terrific conditioner! Not only it smells amazingly fruity, but it leaves my hair SO super soft and healthy! Since a long time, I've changed many shampoos but this has been the only conditioner I've used. My hair is fairly thick, normal and reaches my back and this conditioner leaves them incredibly soft, nourished and detangled. I've already stocked up just in case TBS plans to discontinue it, which will be heart breaking for me. For sure my Holy Grail conditioner.

on 5/11/2012 3:07:00 AM

Brought this yesterday as liked the idea no sulphates, protein or cones. I try to do the CG method but do use a low poo to wash once a week. Currently no product on hair. So I was a bit miffed that the conditioner lathered?????? So I do feel I have just shampooed (low poo) and that's it! Will update if my view changes over next few 'washes' I might try it as the co-wash in my CG method, unless people say they never had lather and I will check I haven't got the shampoo in the conditioner bottle!

on 3/26/2012 9:29:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Wow! I tried this conditioner back in the 1990s and to paraphrase Paula Begoun, it was definitely "not a conditioner." It smelled great- but basically did nothing at all to condition hair (imagine smearing liquified banana pulp through your hair, then trying to get a comb through it!). 8-O

Well, since The Body Shop reintroduced the Banana shampoo (which was always great and still is) and conditioner, I decided to give the conditioner another shot. I was a bit wary- but boy, I'm glad I did! This conditioner has been reformulated and is now fantastic, even on my thick, coarse, curly hair. I don't know what changed in the formula, but they managed to keep banana as the SECOND ingredient. It has the same wonderful natural banana scent (a tad "spicier" than the shampoo's scent) but the conditioner now has a wonderful slippery feel that seems to "sink" into my hair and allows me to comb thru wet knots and tangles with ease, even on a 2nd or 3rd-day washing. If you've never ventured into The Body Shop for your hair-care needs, I highly recommend the banana line! ******
UPDATE April 2013: They've now included Honey in the ingredients, which is a great addition and enhances an already great formula!

on 3/21/2012 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like in my other review for the shampoo, I wasn't impressed initially. But I got over that and my hair really likes this. I love that it is protein free and cone free, something that is very hard to find especially when you are also looking for conditioning qualities.

The smell is banana, but to me its not fresh banana its kind of like a play doh banana. Doesn't bother me and I look forward to using this with the shampoo every time I shower. It does make my hair soft and shiny, not heavy weighed down. I just recently ran out and I am going to go and stock up soon!!

on 3/13/2012 3:26:00 AM

This is an excellent conditioner. I also like the fact that it really has banana in it (second on the ingredient list!), not just the fragrance. I just love it!

I was attracted to this product because of the smell. It has a strong, delicious banana scent, but does not leave my hair smelling like bananas. Here are my pros and cons of this conditioner:

Pros
- beautiful scent
- reasonably priced and although the bottle is not that big, it has lasted me a long time
- not tested on animals :)

Cons
- bad packaging: the conditioner is fairly thick and it is hard to squeeze out of the bottle. I had to store it upside down to solve this.
- not a miracle conditioner: hydrated my normal hair, but did not make it overly soft

Overall, I am happy that I tried this product out, but my new salon conditioner works much better on my hair.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

This conditioner surprisingly works well. I normally wouldn't reach for anything banana scented, but this smells more like pina colada and coconut than banana. It's also very light and rich, but because my hair needs more thick and penetrating nourishment, this doesn't fully meet my standards. However, the banana in this conditioner does a lot to add moisture, so it does soften hair and leave it bouncy. This is great for fine hair in particular, but probably not the best for those who need an extra something for their damaged or dry ends.

on 1/23/2012 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A classic product from the original TBS line-up - it has been d/c'ed and brought back (thank goodness). Inexpensive, effective and a great "bang for the buck". Very hydrating - can build up on fine hair - good conditioner. I like the banana scent, too.

Update: Just bought another bottle in 2013 and it's still $8 and a great product for the money.

on 1/22/2012 6:54:00 PM

Great scent and an excellent condtioner

on 1/9/2012 9:49:00 PM

I absolutely love this stuff, I almost didn't know what to do when my local store was out. I now purchase two at a time.
It smells amazing, its super moisturizing, it makes my hair super smooth and soft.
love love love