April 16, 2014 | 1961 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Maximum Coverage Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by GreenEyedBlondie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Skin Type:
    VERY oily around nose, cheeks, chin and forehead. Large pores around cheeks. Very dry and patchy around eye area and around mouth. Lots of acne, acne scaring and blackheads.

What I'm Looking For:
    A full coverage, matte foundation that controlls oil and looks natural.

Right, I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I bought this about 4 months ago. In the shop the woman applying it to my face was struggling to make it look good on my terrible skin, complaining that I needed to find a good moisturizer, cleanser and toner (i already have these things, its just I was on a pill for my acne back then so my skin was at its worst). The finished result looked average, I guess. It was cracked around the nose and had settled into the fine lines in the eye area, so as you can imagine I wasnt that impressed. Still, I had run out of my normal foundation and was desperate, so I bought it. I rushed home, did lots of cleansing and toning and then applied it using a foundation brush. It looked nice and natural around my cheeks, but made any dry patches stand out horribly and around my larger pore areas it gave me a 'pixelated' look - not attractive! It also gave me dry patches around the cheeks after I took it off. Because it was so expensive though I decided to try it again in a couple of months when some of my acne had cleared up.
    After about 4 months there was no acne left, just lots of scarring and a few spots around the forehead. Most of the dryness had disappeared. I decided to try it again. I experimented with different techniques and found that blending it in with my fingers worked best. This time it looked better, but it still wasnt the 'flawless' look i wanted, and I found that when I took it off there was still an awful lot of product stuck in my pores. It also made me go shiny very quickly. So i decided to mix it up with different creams/moisterizers/foundations. I eventually found that it looked lovely mixed with L'oreal Paris matte magique foundation. The only problem I had with this though is that it made my skin oily after just 30 mins! Arrgh. I have returned to my normal foundation and I will go on a search to find a good primer or powder for this foundation that will keep my oilyness at bay. I will edit when I have found one! All in all, this is a good foundation. One of the best I've used as long as you use it correctly.
    Thanks for reading!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by BelleFleurBeauty

I do not like this product as a foundation at all, however for someone with birthmarks, I can understand it's use. It has VERY full coverage so is difficult to work with. The finish is semi-matte, similar to the regular double wear. I am normally a fan of this finish, however for such a full coverage foundation I would have preferred something more natural. You really need to know what you're doing, and do a lot of experimentation, to use this foundation. The foundation is quite drying, and feels almost like a clay mask on your face after a while. It is very important to use a good hydrating moisturizer and primer underneath. This is crease city - I have some faint fine lines on my forehead and under eyes which are drastically exaggerated with this foundation. I have heard of people using (and loving) this as an undereye concealer however I have tried this and DO NOT recommend this. It is crease city! I do, however, recommend it's use as a concealer for blemishes, and other imperfections. My current foundation routine if I want absolutely flawless skin (e.g. nights out, weddings or anywhere I may be photographed) is Estee Lauder Double Wear (regular formulation) with this as a concealer for my acne/ acne scarring/ broken capillaries. This combination lasts ALL day. I would not use this for every day, however, as it is too heavy, and irritates my skin as it is so drying. I do OCCASIONALLY wear this as a foundation alone when I'm looking for very (VERY) full coverage, however the shade is not a perfect match (which you really need with such a full coverage foundation - however the shade range is so limiting) and I do prefer a more natural, and much lighter coverage foundation. I am NC/NW20 in MAC (quite neutral and it depends if I want to match or counteract my slightly pink undertones) and in this foundation I am 03 Creamy Vanilla Light/ Medium - this is slightly to dark and yellow but is the closest match for me. A mix of 1:3 in 01:03 is perfect for me but I decided against buying both so I just mix another light shade that I have in my foundation arsenal. I REALLY wish they had more shades! I would recommend it for people who want to cover up tattoo's, birthmarks or severe acne/ scarring, but it does have it's flaws.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 2:27:00 AM More reviews by Kathrynhartwell

I think this stuff is great. I no longer use it daily for a foundation because I finally found a skin care routine that works for me - but up until about a month or two ago, I used this as a full foundation,a nd it never let me down. It covered all of my acne, and I needed such a TINY amount, that the price tag never seemed to bother me (I would usually have to throw it out before I had used it all, just based of recommended shelf life.) Now that my skin is almost totally clear, it is still my go to spot cover, and always will be. Nothing covers like this, and I have tried everything. I also use it to cover a tattoo I have on my ankle for work. Its a little tattoo, and all black, so it doesn't take much. It doesn't cover completely, but after 2 layers, it covers well enough that no one notices. Definitely worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 10:41:00 AM More reviews by hlnren

Before I used to have clear skin, i did not notice any different this product does to my skin. However, recently i started to have cystic acne. Both of my chin and forehead covered with acnes..and scars.
    This cream does a great job of conceal my spots and scars...!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2011 1:10:00 PM More reviews by katrosado5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference, I am currently NC35/37 but closer to NC 37. I have the shade medium deep. It's a fairly good match but in the summer too light as I am more of a NC40.

Onto the product: Excellent. This is amazing coverage and definately full coverage. Full coverage. Complete and full coverage and if you haven't worked with full coverage before it can be a bit daunting when you do the first time.

I use this as a concealer most of the time. I use it under foundation. However, every once in a while I do want full coverage and this fits the bill.

This comes in a tube. It only takes a tiny dot of makeup to do your whole face. I use less than pea size to do my entire face.

This formula sets quickly. My suggestion is to make sure you have something under it for slip. A good moisturizer and/or primer. You really need that for this foundation.

Work in areas rather than dotting it all over the face. So for example work on your forehead and then move to one half of face...etc. I use clean fingers. I find that it works best for me because the heat from my fingers helps to melt the foundation (not the best description but I think most will know what I'm trying to say). I also found that a damp makeup sponge works pretty good too. A brush really didn't work well for me personally.

Pros:
    1. When carefully applied, it is the most natural full coverage foundation I have used.
    2. It lasts until you take it off.
    3. Does not feel like a mask to me as some full coverage camoflauge foundations can.
    4. It covers everything. I mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g
    5. I don't have to set this with a powder if I don't want to.

Cons:
    1. It can transfer. So if you're wearing a pull over shirt, don't pull it over your head after you've done your face.
    2. It takes a few extra minutes to get the application you want.
    3. This will leave you with a perfect one dimensional canvas. That means you are going to definately need to use bronzer and highlighter. Otherwise you will look very flat.

But, I have to be very honest and say if you are looking for a foundation that gives you a perfect canvas and is very full coverage. I can't express full coverage enough because I see some foundation advertised as full but they aren't compared to this one--trust me.

This foundation I have found is worth the extra time and work to make it look great. I do love it and it's my fav, I don't wear it everyday but I do use it often as a concealer for some pretty aggressive age spots that I have. My oldest daughter used this for performances in High School. I do tend to think of this as more of a stage type makeup. Hope this review helps.

32 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2011 11:25:00 PM More reviews by sherryba

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like this foundation as a concealer and for spot coverage. I use Estee Lauder Double Wear and it is my primary foundation. However I like this to cover red areas. I have very oily skin and this would not be a good foundation for all over my face. I notice that during the day it settles into the little line on my chin as well as around my nose. So, again, although I do like it as a concealer, I do not use it as an all over foundation. Oh, and VERY little goes a LONG way!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2011 7:55:00 AM More reviews by awc1993

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Estee lauder maximum coverage lives up to its name. The coverage I got was incredible and I did not need to layer it, just a pea sized amount is all you need for the entire face. It did not oxidize and look orange and it matched my skin tone well as I am quite pale. The one criticism I do have is that this foundation is very hard to blend. Its incredibly thick and applying with a make brush was impossible so I had to use fingers. You have to be very fast when applying as it sets very quickly and its easy to see the dreaded streaks or finger marks. The best way in which I applied it was in stages I would mousterise my forehead and put the foundation on immediatly so I had enough slip to blend. The same applied for the rest of my face and neck by applying it in stages. This did take longer than usual to apply but with the right technique it is such a fantastic foundation. This also did not cause acne or spots. Putting to much of this can create a very mask like appearence and feels very heavy so be very conservative when applying as you really dont need much. Ive now started to use the double wear stay in place as it has better better slip and I no longer need full coverage. Those with rosacea, vitilgo, cystic acne, pygmentation or scarring will come to love this foundation as it really does cover everything.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by danakay5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

one of my favorite foundations for sure!! i do not use it all over my face just because its not really the meant to wear all over your face i usually use this after i put my primer on then this under my eyes on my forehead and chin(a little goes a long way ladies) then i use the estee lauder double wear foundation on my nose and cheeks it makes my face look flawless without looking fake or cakey =) my boyfriend loves this on he says it DOES'T look like i have a cake face which is important to most men! Really a great investment if you ask me.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by igsvt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I went to the estee lauder counter looking to buy the double wear stay in place foundation. I had heard it was the best for very oily skin types. The women at the counter convinced me in purchasing the maximum coverage foundation after telling her I use revlon colorstay foundation for combination/oily skin. She matched me to medium deep, after 5 minutes of wearing the foundation it oxidized, (got deeper in color). I told her about my concern and she gave me a sample to take home. I used the foundation the next day, the coverage was great and the foundation was thiner than my revlon colorstay. After 3 hours wearing the foundation i noticed the foundation seperating on my nose where my oils were disolving the foundation. I wore a primer before applying the foundation. Overall this is a great foundation, a little goes a long way and covers everything. I just wouldnt recommend this for someone with very oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2011 8:32:00 PM More reviews by kkatie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Skin: acne-prone with scarring and active cystic zits every now and then, large pores on nose and cheeks, oily t-zone w/ a very oily forhead

I will update my review soon, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I found this at the CCO today for $22 after tax. they have all colors stocked up in wrentham, ma. i was originally looking to buy a mufe of MAC foundation, and went looking for the MAC studio fluid thingy at the CCO but they only had 3 of the darker shades.. so then I found this. I decided to buy it because it seemed as if it would work well.

I will update ASAP.

UPDATE:

I've been using this foundation almost every day since I got it, and the tube is still more than 70% full. It has amazing coverage, doesn't make me break out at all, it covers up my huge pores perfectly. The first time I applied it to my nose (loads of blackheads no matter how much i care for it) they were completely erased. I've never even seen my face look like this.

This is a fantastic foundation.. I'm sad they discontinued it.

The only issue I have with it is that it only comes in about 5-6 shades as far as I know, and the lightest shade is way too beige for my skin. I need something more pink-ish and lighter. The 2nd shade has more pink in it, but it's also way too dark for me.

I heard that the new double wear foundation, which is the one they followed up with after this one got disc'd isn't nearly as good, but I might still snag a sample to compare for myself.

I tried mixing this with a slightly pinker foundation but that made it very cakey, so.. not recommended.

I will definitely be using this tube until it's gone, and it also makes an awesome spot concealer. i might buy another tube of this as a back up before it's gone completely just in case i find another way to mute it down to my skin tone without making it cakey.

At the CCO, where I got it, it was only $20.