Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Brush

4.6

on 2/16/2011 2:45:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I love this brush! A year ago my hair was in terrible condition. I was looking all over for products to help. I read about boar bristle brushes online so I bought a cheap one from a Salon Suppliers. It just didn't penetrate to my scalp but I could feel my hair becoming smoother. So I decided to splurge on this. It was worth it. My scalp gets massaged and the oils spread down the lengths. It detangles my hair without pulling. When I use it regularly my hair looks so much shinier and swishes. It has definitely helped me improve the condition of my hair.

(I also bought boar bristle round brush for blow drying my hair and a wide tooth burr free comb.)

on 1/12/2011 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I never thought a hairbrush could make that much of a difference. I've got the pure bristle in pocket size and it must be one of the best buys I ever did for my hair.
I've got fine hair with oily roots and dry, tangly ends - well not any more. This brush is so fantastic, it's glides through with no pain or damage and makes my hair so wonderfully soft and full. Best of all is that I no longer need to use dry shampoo on the days I don't wash - this brush removes the oil very well.
I am SO glad I bought it and I will never use another brush again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Sadly, my grandmother died recently and I picked up this brush from her apartment after wards. I say that I inherited it, not only because of the high price and excellent quality, and actually its a very intimate item to have. I think of her often when brushing my hair. The other thing I think about is how bloody amazing my hair is and how this has changed my life! I have A LOT of hair which is frizzy and wavy, I am the poster girl for this hair brush. It calms the frizz and makes the waves look great. I blow dried my hair for the first time in ages (since preMP) and people keep asking if I've had a haircut. One young man told me- ahem- that my hair looked like a waterfall.
If I lost this treasured item I would buy and new one and possibly will step up from the handy (too easy for me to lose!) to a bigger one.

on 7/19/2010 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I wanted this and my friends got it for me for my birthday in pocket size (I told them to get the cheapest one, didn't want them to break the bank).

My hair is not exactly fine, it's coarse, long and straight, but this brush works nicely. Just have to put a bit more effort to brush it all the way through.

I've been using a cr*ppy one I bought in Priceline before and I hate it because my hair keeps snagging and snapping. So I tried not to brush my hair unless I really had to. The Mason Pearson is pleasant to use. I have it in white which is quite cute and it doesn't tug at my hair at all. It glides through the knots and I actually enjoy brushing my hair.

In future i would probably buy a large one so that it would be faster to brush my whole head but the pocket one would probably be great to use whilst travelling.

My hair is turns out quite silky with this brush. I love it!

on 5/31/2010 11:16:00 AM

This is the only brush I use. Have had mine for 4 years now and even upgraded to add the next to largest brush to my collection.

I didn't want to believe the hype, but I needed something for my fine, long hair. The brushes do come in different bristle combinations targeted for various hair types and lengths, so do the research before purchasing.

The brush is indestructable, gives a great scalp massage as well as evenly distributes natural oils throughout the hair. You just can't find a brush that works the same as this one. It's the Bentley of hair brushes and it's a must. The price is totally reasonable for the results you achieve. My hair looks gorgeous. This is a must have item in everyone's stash.

on 5/31/2010 10:47:00 AM

I'd always heard that Mason Pearson brushes were the best and had it on my "to buy, but not in the not foreseeable future though I really want it because it's ridiculously expensive and don't need it need it" list (for example, a MacBook Pro is on this list while my current laptop doesn't exhibit major issues). I finally broke down when beauty.com had their friends and family (and the cashback worked--SCORE). I got the cheapest pure boar bristle brush, which retails for $170. I don't think I realized there were other sizes, otherwise, with my long-ish hair, I would've gotten a larger one. My hair always annoyed me, because it felt dry at the ends. Now, I have the problem where my hair's oils are so well distributed that I wonder if I'm going to have to start washing it more often or if I'm just not used to having hair that feels healthy. I can't wait to have some guy run his hands through mine, so he can be in awe of how smooth it feels (still working on this...ha). Seriously, if the cost is an issue and you're wondering if it's worth it, get it (maybe you need the push of having some discount--you can get 10-20% cashback for beauty.com on bing.com). If you have long hair, think about getting a larger size than the handy (the one I have). That's the only complaint I have, that I got the handy rather than a larger one.

on 4/9/2010 5:09:00 PM

I've had mine for five years and it's still doing a great job. I have fine hair but the pocket bristle brush never gives me static. It is pricey, but on cost per use basis, it's a worthwhile investment. I also like the cleaning brush that it comes with.

on 1/20/2010 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

We finally broke down and I got a Mason Pearson brush from my husband for Christmas!! I have long, fine hair and the perfect brush for my hair was the extra large pure bristle brush. It is very expensive, but I feel I am worth it! :-) My hair is so silky and shiny and I feel like I get a scalp massage every time I brush my hair. I am also able to finally get a smooth pony tail. I was concerned about having static issues when I brush my hair, but it is not a problem. In short, I am very satisfied with my brush. Would I buy again? Yes, but I doubt I will ever have to (unless I lose it).

on 1/2/2010 3:19:00 PM

I have had my full size brush for probably 10 years now. My husband and I share it and take it everywhere. We once left it at someone's house at a New Year's eve party and made the hosts locate it and pay for shipping it back to us!
They thought we were nuts when we told them the thing is over $100 but it is like nothing else.
For a long time our two young daughters used the pocket size brushes - they did finally both lose them but they lasted several years and were the only thing gentle enough to untangle long fine hair.
This is the best investment! The cleaner thing that comes with it is not the best so the brush by now does not look super attractive but works just as well

on 12/2/2009 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

After a bazillion hair cuts and styles, I have finally given in to my husband and have let my hair grow out. It's now bra-strap length, so for my birthday last year, I told my husband that if he wanted me to keep the hair, I needed a good quality brush for my b-day (tee hee). He choked when I told him the price, but...I got my brush.

All I can say is I totally agree with the reviewer who said she'd save this brush in a fire! When I use it, it feels like a scalp message - no joke! It's wonderful! I have the Small Extra - my hair is long, but fine.
Yes, it's expensive, but I will always have a MP brush - no matter how much it is. They are that good. Nuff said!

Popular Hair Styling Tools