April 17, 2014 | 1581 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Mason Pearson - Pure Bristle Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 5:09:00 PM More reviews by Happyfaced

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've had mine for five years and it's still doing a great job. I have fine hair but the pocket bristle brush never gives me static. It is pricey, but on cost per use basis, it's a worthwhile investment. I also like the cleaning brush that it comes with.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2010 11:29:00 AM More reviews by downunder

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

We finally broke down and I got a Mason Pearson brush from my husband for Christmas!! I have long, fine hair and the perfect brush for my hair was the extra large pure bristle brush. It is very expensive, but I feel I am worth it! :-) My hair is so silky and shiny and I feel like I get a scalp massage every time I brush my hair. I am also able to finally get a smooth pony tail. I was concerned about having static issues when I brush my hair, but it is not a problem. In short, I am very satisfied with my brush. Would I buy again? Yes, but I doubt I will ever have to (unless I lose it).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2010 3:19:00 PM More reviews by ilasik

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have had my full size brush for probably 10 years now. My husband and I share it and take it everywhere. We once left it at someone's house at a New Year's eve party and made the hosts locate it and pay for shipping it back to us!
They thought we were nuts when we told them the thing is over $100 but it is like nothing else.
For a long time our two young daughters used the pocket size brushes - they did finally both lose them but they lasted several years and were the only thing gentle enough to untangle long fine hair.
This is the best investment! The cleaner thing that comes with it is not the best so the brush by now does not look super attractive but works just as well

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2009 3:38:00 PM More reviews by bleue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After a bazillion hair cuts and styles, I have finally given in to my husband and have let my hair grow out. It's now bra-strap length, so for my birthday last year, I told my husband that if he wanted me to keep the hair, I needed a good quality brush for my b-day (tee hee). He choked when I told him the price, but...I got my brush.

All I can say is I totally agree with the reviewer who said she'd save this brush in a fire! When I use it, it feels like a scalp message - no joke! It's wonderful! I have the Small Extra - my hair is long, but fine.
Yes, it's expensive, but I will always have a MP brush - no matter how much it is. They are that good. Nuff said!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2009 9:52:00 AM More reviews by chiggy5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the pocket size with boar bristles and it is a quality brush. I wish it came with a cleaning brush but that is only available with the larger sizes. I take it with me in my purse and I'm always wondering "is this damaging my brush?" because with the other items in there it's getting knocked around "is this going to make the bristles come out?, is this damaging the cushion pad?" . Hey it's an expensive brush it should come with it's own carrying/protective case. Pros; it does make my hair shiny and smooth. The first time I used it a guy friend asked me "what did you do to your hair?, it looks great" my response was "I brushed it". And yes I brush my hair and have used many other brand brushes and have'nt tried any others since I've had this one. I've had this one probably 8 years and have been very happy with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 9:04:00 PM More reviews by FashionStyleBeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hair : waist length, very fine but volumous, overprocessed and extremely fragile.

Tested: I recieved the entire range of MP to trial. I kept only ONE item. The large extra bristle paddle brush RRP AUD $260.

The large paddle bristle was able to penetrate and detangle my mass of hair ( the smaller brush could not get into lower layers).

Brand as a whole: Mason Pearson nylon brushes are no better than lower priced quality synthetics. I was unimpressed with their range of combs - overpriced and ordinary. Primarily this range is a 'brand' that people want to own to look posh and declare that they 'own'.

The basics: Natural boar bristles are best for general brushing - natural shine, smooth shaft and gentle handling of delicate hair due to the effectiveness of the natural oil (sebum) distrubution. Comparing this brush only to similar items with same function.

First impressions: ordinary packaging and presentation (nothing flash - super basic actually). It didn't look any different to cheaper off the rack 100% bristle brushes - VERY hefty price seemed unjustifiable.

Intital impression after use: The bristles felt very firm and sharp compared to lower end comparisons. Ive tested100s of brushes. At first the bristles felt rough and as if it would 'rip' my fragile hair. It also felt rather scratchy on my scalp. The accompanying cleaning brush is basic, non-innovative but functional.

Conclusion at end of trials: This is one case where you actually do get what you pay for. Extremely expensive for a very ordinary looking hairbrush but it is utterly understandable (after using for a while) why the worlds best choose this brush. The 'scratchy' feeling on scalp is actually stimulating the scalp and is evidence of the effectiveness of bristles to penetrate into lower layers of hair. It is NOT actually scratching the scalp. My hair is super smooth and undamaged by this high QUALITY brush. Stick with it, the quality of the tool is evident after some use. The flexibility of the bristle bed is notable. Many inexpensive brushes 'feel' nicer to use (feel better to your wallet as well) but by no means are as good for your hair in terms of result. Afterall - its all about the end result isnt it - MP large paddle bristle brush = smooth, healthy and shiny hair naturally. It is well constructed and will last.

In general I would say most 100% boar bristle brushes are on par - just a difference in packaging ... however, I can't believe I am saying this BUT if you are looking for perfection .. save up - this scarily expensive brush is soooo good for your hair, it is extremely effective at cleaning the hair shaft while spreading your naturally moisturising sebum and is so well constructed that it actually IS worth the investment.

PS don't forget, clean your brush regularly and never brush wet hair. For wet hair use a no-snag/vulcanised wide toothed comb only - your hair will thank you for it.

22 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Mere828

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

*LOVE* this brush! I am not usually a user of bristle brushes - I usually use combs, but this brush does wonders on my long hair. I can feel the texture change immediately after I use it. My hair is *so* soft and manageable, and getting tangles out with long unruly hair has always been painful and time-consuming, but this brush basically gets tangles out in one sweep. I swapped for it, so fortunatley I didn't shell out the dough but it IS very expensive! I think it's worth it, though because the brush is of highest quality with real bristles and it holds up wonderfully. I've had mine for about a year and nothing has fallen out or bent, it's just lovely. I'm dying to try their other brushes now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2008 10:48:00 PM More reviews by Laura22

Well...I'm in love. I have the pure boar bristle (recommended for fine hair) pocket version and although the price is just crazy, I am now totally and completely committed. I have fine, thin medium length hair and I use this daily to help stimulate oils (and hopefully growth and overall health). The bristles are very stiff (abit scary at first) but it works like a dream.

I also use it on my 4 year old dd's very fine (and sweet) hair. We have made it a "hair health" ritual. Just fyi, the childrens brush is almost exactly the same as the pocket (except for color and a very few bristles).

IMO, the pocket is a perfect size and for my hair type, there is no need for anything bigger. The pure boar bristle is recommended for those with fine hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2008 4:56:00 PM More reviews by moggie666

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've had the pure bristle Handy for about 9 years now, and it's the best brush out there. Yes it's pricey but no other brush cares for your hair and scalp like this brush.

It still looks just as good as when I got it, there's a fine patina of scratches on the back of the brush, and it's in great shape.

No noticable loss of bristles, rubber pad still springy and squeaky.

I lost this brush into some storage boxes a while ago and I was SO happy when I found it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2008 2:01:00 PM More reviews by Wimple23

I agree with other reviewers here when they say this brush is worth the hype and money. I'd been using a vent brush for years now to add body while blowdrying my long, fine hair, but a few months ago I decided to buy a boar bristle brush similar to the ones my mom uses for touch-ups during the day. I first purchased a pure bristle brush from Target for an el cheapo price and returned the brush right back to the store - it wouldn't go through my hair at all and was completely useless. Then I decided to spend the money to see what Mason Pearson was all about. All I can say is - wow! Even my coworkers notice when I use this brush. I keep it in my purse and use it for touch-ups, and also before going to bed at night. I put my head forward and brush brush brush, and then I flip my head back and I have more body than I know what to do with. Then I use the brush to smooth the hair down a bit. Yes, there is some static - but it really disappears pretty fast, especially after you smooth the hair down with the brush after you flip your hair back. I don't know why it's so different, but it definitely imparts body and sheen I don't get from any other brush. Well worth the money! I will be buying the pocket size one to keep in my purse and leave the current one I have at home.