Dior Miss Dior

on 8/22/2010 12:19:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

Sweet, boring, old fashioned, from granny's youth. The retro unimaginative packaging makes this fragrance so dull and boring that it's not worth the money. I'm not even sure they manufacture it anymore.

on 4/4/2010 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Spritzed this at Saks. I am not a fan of the newer, sugarpop fragrances in pretty girly colors. After reading the reviews, this sounded interesting. On me, this smelled old lady. Since I am an old lady (60), that is the last way I want to smell. I want to smell modern, sexy and sophisticated. Sorry, not a nose, so cannot identify the individual components. But I read it had some of the same notes as other fragrances I like or have enjoyed in the past. So, I was very disappointed. The dry down is somewhat better than the initial scent.

on 4/2/2010 5:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Too powdery, too old fashioned, too mossy. I love the classics but this one is just old.

on 1/15/2010 6:57:00 PM

This is a classic fragrance for the woman with class and elegance and yet, a woman who is approachable. It goes on with a bang of greens and florals and aldehydes, but the drydown IS TO DIE FOR :) I rue the day it is no longer available

on 8/13/2009 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Don’t be put off by the very green & aldehydic opening, because the drydown is PURE HEAVEN. When that oh-so-gorgeous, soft, creamy, powdery & leathery cloud hits your nose some 15-20 minutes later, it suddenly becomes clear to you why this iconic chypre has withstood the test of time. FYI, I've never been a fan of chypres before this (always preferring richer, heavier orientals), but I have Miss Dior to thank for making me a convert (& for introducing me to the wonderful world of classic scents) -- I'm just sooo hopelessly in love with it & definitely see myself buying a full size bottle once I've used up my 5ml EDT. Beautiful, classy, elegant, demure, polished, regal... this, to me, is Grace Kelly in a bottle.

EDIT (9/14/09):

Forgot to mention that the EDT I’m reviewing is from circa ‘96/’97. I'm absolutely devastated & furious to learn that Miss Dior was reformulated (yet again!) last year (or was it 2 years ago?) to comply with the recent preposterous EU restriction on the use of oakmoss in perfumery, resulting in our grand dame now having been mercilessly stripped of all the beauty that made her a beloved icon & bestseller for over 60 years (& deservedly so). The once elegant & distinctive lady is said to have now been reduced to a GENERIC (gasp!), withered ghost of her former glorious self, butchered beyond all recognition (*weeps*). To read more about this latest tragic casualty in the classic chypre kingdom, go to this link: http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/love-and-death-of-miss-dior.html. In the meantime, I'll be holding on to my precious 12-year-old miniature & treating it like liquid gold until the day comes (soon, I hope!) when I will finally have the $$$ to horde all the vintage bottles I can find on eBay. Pray to God there will still be plenty of ‘em floating around online then, because the very thought of having to say “au revoir” forever to my newly found love is just TOO damn depressing! WHY OH WHY didn't I discover Miss Dior much, much earlier in my life??!!

on 4/7/2009 9:14:00 PM

A naughty animalistic perfume hides beneath this prim and proper, ladylike, houndstooth and pencil skirt exterior. A green accord of galbanium and sage, I find carnation dominant in the heart with a lesser amount of powder/cotton, and a vetiver/sandalwood drydown. To borrow a quote from www.boisdejasmine who sums it up perfectly, "Miss Dior does not reveal her charms upon the first encounter, requiring a longer and patient acquaintance, especially for those who are used to the eager-to-please modern fragrances. The green pepper sharpness of galbanum is underpinned by a classical gardenia note, which is bright, dry and intriguingly metallic. These effervescent notes slowly melt into the floral heart of Miss Dior, and yet the animalic darkness is never far behind. Soon the chypre base that supports the refinement of floral notes takes center stage. The composition becomes veiled in duskiness, which is punctuated by the gilded warmth of patchouli. The woman who wears Miss Dior projects the most exquisite elegance paired with confidence and resolve of character—a truly alluring combination.

Like many classical fragrances, Miss Dior has not reached us in its original state. The changes to the formula led to the attenuated base and limpid floralcy, to the unbecoming pallor of its chypre accord and the disappointing softness of its top notes. To think that something so strong, so assertive and so distinctive was to be turned into a wallflower!

Christian Dior Miss Dior contains notes of gardenia, galbanum, bergamot, clary sage, jasmine, narcissus, neroli, rose, patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum, sandalwood. It is available from Saks5thAvenue, Neiman Marcus and other Dior retailer locations."

It goes without saying if you can find vintage, it will be superior to the modern version.

on 4/4/2009 10:53:00 AM

As someone who can remember how wonderful this perfume used to be, I can best describe how I feel about it now in in the following description. The current version is but a black and white photograph compared to how it used to be in glorious colour. No comparison. And a great pity. Some reformulated fragrances compare quite favourably to the originals, not so with Miss Dior.

on 3/10/2009 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This perfume smells great i got it for my bday!! all my friends bug me to borrow it so when they come over i have to hide it..Lol! The bottle is so cute..

on 3/10/2009 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I would describe Miss Cherie as an aldehydic chypre. Classy scent that's sophisticated, sweet, and warm. Great sillage and lasting power. I wouldn't want to wear this scent everyday but for certain occasions (business meetings, formal affairs) Miss Cherie would be perfect. I'll most likely want to purchase a full bottle for myself but before doing so, do a close comparison with some other chypres as well as Chanel No. 5.
Edit: drydown was very powdery so I'm not sure if I will purchase after all.

on 12/23/2008 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If anyone is having trouble finding this product, it can be found at Fragrancenet.com.

In the US, I believe Saks has the exclusive on it.

In Canada it is available at Holt Renfrew.

This bears no resemblance whatsoever to Miss Dior Cherie which is a syrupy mess and yes, widely available.

I am doing this so that the demand will remain for the classic beauties and it will not be discontinued. I do not understand why the perfume companies discontinue fragrances that have an established clientelle. Are you listening Lancome/Magie Noire? I had the temptation of smelling a tester of the older formula Magie Noire at Shoppers Drugmar last week and when I got home decided I had to have it. No luck, gone. Only reformulated EdT thin, watery no resemblance to older formulation. Pity.

Popular Fragrances