September 19, 2014 | 1785 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Miss Dior

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2010 5:49:00 AM More reviews by lalki1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Too powdery, too old fashioned, too mossy. I love the classics but this one is just old.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2010 6:57:00 PM More reviews by CRosieB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a classic fragrance for the woman with class and elegance and yet, a woman who is approachable. It goes on with a bang of greens and florals and aldehydes, but the drydown IS TO DIE FOR :) I rue the day it is no longer available

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2009 10:25:00 AM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Don’t be put off by the very green & aldehydic opening, because the drydown is PURE HEAVEN. When that oh-so-gorgeous, soft, creamy, powdery & leathery cloud hits your nose some 15-20 minutes later, it suddenly becomes clear to you why this iconic chypre has withstood the test of time. FYI, I've never been a fan of chypres before this (always preferring richer, heavier orientals), but I have Miss Dior to thank for making me a convert (& for introducing me to the wonderful world of classic scents) -- I'm just sooo hopelessly in love with it & definitely see myself buying a full size bottle once I've used up my 5ml EDT. Beautiful, classy, elegant, demure, polished, regal... this, to me, is Grace Kelly in a bottle.

EDIT (9/14/09):

Forgot to mention that the EDT I’m reviewing is from circa ‘96/’97. I'm absolutely devastated & furious to learn that Miss Dior was reformulated (yet again!) last year (or was it 2 years ago?) to comply with the recent preposterous EU restriction on the use of oakmoss in perfumery, resulting in our grand dame now having been mercilessly stripped of all the beauty that made her a beloved icon & bestseller for over 60 years (& deservedly so). The once elegant & distinctive lady is said to have now been reduced to a GENERIC (gasp!), withered ghost of her former glorious self, butchered beyond all recognition (*weeps*). To read more about this latest tragic casualty in the classic chypre kingdom, go to this link: http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/love-and-death-of-miss-dior.html. In the meantime, I'll be holding on to my precious 12-year-old miniature & treating it like liquid gold until the day comes (soon, I hope!) when I will finally have the $$$ to horde all the vintage bottles I can find on eBay. Pray to God there will still be plenty of ‘em floating around online then, because the very thought of having to say “au revoir” forever to my newly found love is just TOO damn depressing! WHY OH WHY didn't I discover Miss Dior much, much earlier in my life??!!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2009 9:14:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

A naughty animalistic perfume hides beneath this prim and proper, ladylike, houndstooth and pencil skirt exterior. A green accord of galbanium and sage, I find carnation dominant in the heart with a lesser amount of powder/cotton, and a vetiver/sandalwood drydown. To borrow a quote from www.boisdejasmine who sums it up perfectly, "Miss Dior does not reveal her charms upon the first encounter, requiring a longer and patient acquaintance, especially for those who are used to the eager-to-please modern fragrances. The green pepper sharpness of galbanum is underpinned by a classical gardenia note, which is bright, dry and intriguingly metallic. These effervescent notes slowly melt into the floral heart of Miss Dior, and yet the animalic darkness is never far behind. Soon the chypre base that supports the refinement of floral notes takes center stage. The composition becomes veiled in duskiness, which is punctuated by the gilded warmth of patchouli. The woman who wears Miss Dior projects the most exquisite elegance paired with confidence and resolve of character—a truly alluring combination.

Like many classical fragrances, Miss Dior has not reached us in its original state. The changes to the formula led to the attenuated base and limpid floralcy, to the unbecoming pallor of its chypre accord and the disappointing softness of its top notes. To think that something so strong, so assertive and so distinctive was to be turned into a wallflower!

Christian Dior Miss Dior contains notes of gardenia, galbanum, bergamot, clary sage, jasmine, narcissus, neroli, rose, patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum, sandalwood. It is available from Saks5thAvenue, Neiman Marcus and other Dior retailer locations."

It goes without saying if you can find vintage, it will be superior to the modern version.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2009 10:53:00 AM More reviews by 5lover

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

As someone who can remember how wonderful this perfume used to be, I can best describe how I feel about it now in in the following description. The current version is but a black and white photograph compared to how it used to be in glorious colour. No comparison. And a great pity. Some reformulated fragrances compare quite favourably to the originals, not so with Miss Dior.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2009 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Lillianw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This perfume smells great i got it for my bday!! all my friends bug me to borrow it so when they come over i have to hide it..Lol! The bottle is so cute..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2009 3:28:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would describe Miss Cherie as an aldehydic chypre. Classy scent that's sophisticated, sweet, and warm. Great sillage and lasting power. I wouldn't want to wear this scent everyday but for certain occasions (business meetings, formal affairs) Miss Cherie would be perfect. I'll most likely want to purchase a full bottle for myself but before doing so, do a close comparison with some other chypres as well as Chanel No. 5.
Edit: drydown was very powdery so I'm not sure if I will purchase after all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2008 10:29:00 AM More reviews by hollyc01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

If anyone is having trouble finding this product, it can be found at Fragrancenet.com.

In the US, I believe Saks has the exclusive on it.

In Canada it is available at Holt Renfrew.

This bears no resemblance whatsoever to Miss Dior Cherie which is a syrupy mess and yes, widely available.

I am doing this so that the demand will remain for the classic beauties and it will not be discontinued. I do not understand why the perfume companies discontinue fragrances that have an established clientelle. Are you listening Lancome/Magie Noire? I had the temptation of smelling a tester of the older formula Magie Noire at Shoppers Drugmar last week and when I got home decided I had to have it. No luck, gone. Only reformulated EdT thin, watery no resemblance to older formulation. Pity.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2008 1:38:00 PM More reviews by colorfulme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

OMG! Nothing else smells like this! Well, maybe lots of fragrances smell like this, but I had never smelled anything like this before. You see, I was born in 1981, so most of the fragrances I've smelled are either the lemony, watery, ozonic frags from the 90's, or the candy, bubble gum, fruit punch frags that are so popular right now. And no, I'm not a fan of neither, so this left me quite lost, perfume wise. I just ended a very long relationship, one that left me feeling so depressed I couldn't even leave the house, shower, get dressed or eat. But now, after some therapy, I'm feeling much better, I've discovered who I am as a woman, and I now know what I want from life. So, nothing fits the new me now. not my clothes, not my looks, not my frags. So, I decided to give myself a makeover, never given myself one. I want to look the way I feel, beautiful and powerful, like I can achieve anything I set my mind to. I'm buying new clothes, dying my hair a different color, and need a new frag. So, after reading reviews, I decided I wanted to try chypres. I had never tried one, but they sounded so fascinating. So, I tried Miss Dior (EdT) they didn't have the EdP in the counter. And...oh! I felt like Columbus when he first saw America. What is this frag, and why is it so interesting, so beautiful, so womanly? Why doesn't it smell like all the florals I own, you know, pretty, but meh. This frag hit me with it's initial sharpness, it felt so green, I thought, this is interesting! Then it morphed into this soft, creamy floral heart, but with a bit of it's original green colors. I though, this is beautiful! Oh, how am I ever gonna go back to my blah florals after this? Because I ain't got the cash now, and I still haven't done my Christmas shopping, so I will have to wait, maybe a month. Ohh...it's gonna be so long! I must find a way to get my hands on a bottle of this womanly elixir asap...I fear I could go mad without it!

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2008 7:12:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

This is a beautiful classic chypre fragrance - an older Dior created in 1947 . And of course it's still produced - those who think it is discontinued! It's not boring but a multi layered interesting scent - a floral green chypre with some powdery aspects and a sexy moss base. This was a debutante scent and noteworthy for anyone invested in the classc chypre genre. The packaging has been changed from the classic black and white houndstooth but I hope the formulation is untouched. I love this a lot. Although it's an EDT , it's strong,fresh smelling and it lasts. i do love the new packaging .