October 25, 2014 | 917 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 11:25:00 PM More reviews by BoxOfRocks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this on my eyelids and under my eyes to prevent my powder eyeshadow from creasing and my mascara from migrating. Serves as a nice, smoothing base and has eliminated that creased raccoon look that used to plague me.

On the lid itself, I apply the product and top with face powder before using eye makeup. Under the lid, I'll apply the primer, use concealer, and then put face powder on.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2011 11:18:00 PM More reviews by luvnudao

Got tester and used it twice, clear and silky smooth feeling but to me it didn't control oil or work well as good as Clinique pore minimizer instant perfector.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/21/2010 3:54:00 PM More reviews by PawPawGirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This products clogs pores. I have received tons of samples through the mail, and every time I try them I end up with huge blackheads.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 6:16:00 AM More reviews by redchinamarker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ever since I was 13 and tried foundation for the first time, I felt that something was wrong with my face. Foundation always made me feel really dirty/oily and it never looked natural. Eventually I started using mineral powdered foundations and I felt better, but it made my large pores look huge and emphasized the lines in my forehead.

The only primer I've ever used is on my eyes (Urban Decay Primer Potion). I was hesitant to buy primer for my face because I thought it would be like UDPP, which is too greasy to use all over the face.

But this is totally different stuff! After I moisturize I use a tiny amount on my forehead and nose, then I rub the excess product into my cheeks. With mineral foundation on, my pores are no longer visible and my skin looks smooth and taut. And my makeup looks the same at night as it did in the morning.

P.S. I love that silky smooth silicon feeling more than anything else! It's like a silly bandz... for your FACE

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 3:03:00 PM More reviews by jlhoward27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff. I only use it on my oily spots (forehead and nose). I feel like I can't live without it. It really takes the oil away!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2010 2:43:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Everyone says that you need a good primer, but I'm beginning to think that I do better w/out one. I tried this one because I liked the sample I got for it, so I bought the full-sized tube.

It does make your skin feel very smooth & soft. The initial finish is semi-matte w/a powdery finish. It looks very nice overall. But it didn't really smooth out my large pores nor did it control oil as it claims. I always feel like I get more oily when I wear primers; maybe it's my skin's reaction to them. It never broke me out though, but I don't think my skin reacts to silicone.

It's still a pretty decent product though. If you're looking for a good general primer for smoothing your skin and you don't have any large crevices or pores to fill, this may work well for you. I gave it a 4, but it's more of a 3.5 for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2010 10:15:00 PM More reviews by dlwalt

I had never used a primer, or even knew that there was such a thing as a primer to use before makeup, until I tried this product. When I first tried a sample - I thought it had a strange consistency and did not see how this could assist with makeup application - but noticed that my makeup had more staying power and went on more evenly than before. However, I still thought it was just an extra expense - and did not purchase any after my sample ran out. Then came the summer and the humidity - and wondered if there was anything out there that could keep my face from wilting in the heat and being so shiny with oil by midday. I tried other products out there (including highly touted primers) that promised many things, but nothing worked well (it either smelled bad, broke me out, irritated my skin, or just felt heavy). Then I remembered the velvet skin coat and decided to splurge on a regular tube size. This stuff is the best - I can now not do without this - I keep one tube in my travel bags (since I travel for work) and I keep another at home in my make-up bag. It is absolutely the best primer out there - at least for me!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 10:44:00 AM More reviews by tualmarebelde

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this product since it did smooth out my face and made it photo-ready for foundation but unfortunately it caused 3 cystic zits. I have sensitive, acne prone, and very oily skin. Bummer!.... The perfect primer hunt continues....

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2010 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Melio617

I'll give this a 5 but the tube could be bigger. It is a great product overall. I thought it was kind of a weird texture at first, but it really does make your skin feel velvety. I tend to save it for more special occasions now because I don't want to have to buy it all the time, but it does help my makeup go on smoother and stay smoother longer. I feel like it gives me a nicer texture to my skin as well. I don't know how women can use just this and be good to go, I'd love to have skin like that, but it is a nice base for the rest of your make up. A little does go a long way.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 5:58:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I received a free sample of this in a DHC catalog and I wanted to love it, honestly, but it was just "OK".

Now first of all I do have slightly dry skin with a few fine lines and wrinkles. (I put this product to task on my forehead and neck, and a bit around the "crows feet" area.)

The consistency is weird - kinda thick - and it does (at first) make a smooth, (Literally) velvety base for foundation, but then - it can get flakey.

You must NOT over apply it - or DISASTER - use a wee bit. Also, as another wise MUA reviwer said below, be sure to try before you buy. While I liked this enough as a freebie, there's no way I will by a full bottle. It's back to Smashbox Photo-finish Primer for me.