April 18, 2014 | 1267 users online

Conditioner - Aubrey Organics - GPB Conditioner

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2010 9:20:00 PM More reviews by astei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Black

A very, very rich conditioner, and can be a bit heavy if you use it every day on fine hair. The original GPB has a very nice, natural, light scent. I've been using it mainly on the ends of my hair, and have had very good results. A little goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2010 7:57:00 PM More reviews by TopNote

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Great conditioner! I have this one in Lavendar and Ylang Ylang. Leaves my hair soft and conditioned and I love the thick consistency. Purchased at Whole Foods for 11.99.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2010 10:01:00 AM More reviews by Laski

I used a sample of this together with the GPB Shampoo. The result was clean, very glossy and well nourished hair - no knots or weighing down. Great product, I will definitely buy the full size versions!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2010 1:44:00 PM More reviews by rikasmith

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Really moisturizes your hair. It devolumizes my usually out of control hair. I wouldn't recommend this for oily hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2010 6:51:00 PM More reviews by characterarc

LAHV this stuff. I have dry, thick, wavy, medium-textured hair. I've been trying to go the natural route and not relying so much on silicones to make hair look good.

I apply this conditioner with my hair flipped over in the shower, as its the most effective way to get the product distributed evenly for me. I use about 2 quarter-size dollops and rake through first with fingers, and then a wide-tooth shower comb to help with distribution. I then flip my head back and continue showering while letting the conditioner sit for the recommended time, about 2-3 minutes. When it's in my hair, it does make it feel almost rough and dry, so the first time I used it was I skeptical. However, once I washed it out, my hair was smooooth and soft.

I've been using it for a few weeks with no problems so I guess my hair can handle protein. I do wish this was packaged in a tube or something because this product is so thick, its stubborn in coming out. Effective conditioner for a modest price, I paid $11 at Whole Foods.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2010 5:22:00 AM More reviews by toro2005

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This GPB conditioner does moisturize my hair nicely. I'll give 5 lippies for that.
But what bothers me about this product is the smell. This conditioner smells
really really bad. Grandma's perfume bad. I wish Aubrey makes hair care
products with less offensive smell, or unscented even.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2010 8:06:00 PM More reviews by avocadobutter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great hair conditioner with all natural ingredients. It makes my hair easily manageable, and shiny. I am very happy with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 7:05:00 PM More reviews by RGup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

A tad expensive, but a great product for me. It has almost no nasties, so I feel good using it. I can't quite define the smell, almost like a mixture of carrot and lavender, I guess, which I happen to like. It makes my hair really smooth and moisturized, and makes combing it in the morning a breeze. I would recommend one try it if one is trying to go on the whole "All Natural" thing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2010 10:01:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE [08/2011]: fine on skin: no reactions. Back to using this as a regular arich moisturising protein conditioner.

UPDATE [02/2011]: can't use this any more: skin more sensitive with the return of eczema. Issues with aloe vera and fragrance (the Peru balsam oil would be a likely culprit).

Lovely stuff on normal, untreated hair. Fine, thick, slightly wavy in parts, long (to bra-clasp), more or less normal but with tendencies to dry ends and greasy roots. Originally bought as an experimental cheaper replacement for John Masters Organics citrus & neroli detangler. On my hair and scalp, the GPB is better and for 1/3 of the price (GPB: CAD 13/325 ml vs. JMO: CAD 24/200 ml).

Much of the reason this stuff works well is the coconut fatty acid and aloe vera base; other useful ingredients would include the horsetail & coltsfoot (glossing, acting a little like silicones would), and nettle extracts; and the protein complex: milk protein & glycoprotein (=protein containing polysaccharide chain) from oyster shells (i.e. this isn't vegan), and a couple of amino acids.

The bottle does need to be shookled a bit before use, and--as others below have remarked--it isn't a practical shape, nor as squeezy as it ought to be: this stuff is thick. And the GPB does need to be rinsed out very thoroughly, and careful only to apply from about the ears downwards as this stuff is rich, and can leave hair greasy. Needs to be rinsed out thoroughly, and I find a cool final rinse helps too. Hair feels heavy, but dries light, shiny, smooth, bouncy, and--like in the Pantene ads--feeling healthy.

Best of all: glorious smell. It's the balsam. As another reviewer pointed out, it does indeed smell like Revlon Flex from the 1980s. Which I loved (Flex, that is, less keen on the 80s as a whole, bar goth, indie, and electro music. OK, some parts of the 80s were good things to live through.) Not so keen on the scents of the other AO hair stuff, though it gets good reviews here, especially from people with drier, curlier hair.

Sadly, while the shampoo is OK and has the same scent, it's not as good. It's still one of the better "green" shampoos I've used, but it disappears fast when double-washing each time, doesn't actually clean the hair and scalp very well, and leaves hair somewhat tangled: a combination resulting in more hair than usual down the drain. Prefer Avalon Organics grapeseed & olive, Earth Science unscented, Get Lathered Shampoo That Rocks unscented solid (Etsy).

Cruelty-free company, many well-formulated products (such as this conditioner), though some weird/funky scents and some odd ideas about things. But I'm buying a conditioner that works, not an organized religion... Costs around CAD 13.00 for a 325 ml bottle, the other AO conditioners being around the same price, except for the much more expensive rose one for treated/abused hair.

INGREDIENTS: aqua, cetyl alcohol (coconut fatty alcohol), alcohol denat (38b, lavender*), aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lactalbumin (milk protein), glycerin, equisetum hyemale (horsetail extract) extract, tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil*, myroxylon balsamum (balsam), citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, brassica campestris (turnip) oil, aleurites fordi (chinawood) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) leaf oil*, glycoprotein, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), glycine soja (soybean) oil*, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) leaf extract, cysteine, methionine, ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
*=organic; the soybeans are organic and non-GMO. continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2010 1:28:00 PM More reviews by onethousandcurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My biggest complaint is that it should really be an inverted bottle, because this conditioner is thick and it's hard to get the last bit out.

But other than that, I love it. I don't use it regularly, just every few months as a protein treatment - strengthens my hair and perks my curls up if they start to droop (which they do when they need protein). Otherwise, I'm pretty protein sensitive.

It works well as a treatment, smells not that wonderful, and the price is great because I need a new bottle like once a year.