Chanel Bois des Iles

4.1

Iím sampling Bois the Iles for the ?? (not the first) time today Ė and my first disappointment is still there. I was really looking forward to BtI because I love woods, but I have to confess that Iím maybe not a qualified critic as I donít appreciate Perfume too much though I love good smells. Perfume is something else - the reviewer bellows description of it as abstract-floral maybe describes what I dislike Ė but after dry down I get the incense and normally I love incense, but the overall impression is too artificial for me. I think it shares this abstract / artificial quality with a lot Chanelís perfumes - and in this they are true to Coco Chanelís idea of using synthetic compounds instead of natural essences to create the scent of a woman. But itís not my idea of perfume, and I donít find this superior to the easily available Chanelís in any way either, and I find no 19 much more appealing and interesting than this. But in general the Chanelís are over rated IMO.

This review is for the vintage parfum. Bois des Iles is similar to No. 5 in its soft, abstract-floral quality and in the use of aldehydes, but the aldehydes are gentler here, which may make Bois des Iles easier to wear for those who find No. 5 too dated. No. 5 is one I wear a dab of, now and then, at home, because of its mid-20th century "boudoir" vibe. This, I would wear anywhere. The floral notes melt into the skin in that lovely way of perfumes with a lot of expensive naturals. Lots of creamy sandalwood plus that "gingerbread accord" (I smell mostly coriander but also ginger, nutmeg, almond) warm the floral notes enough for fall and winter wear. Wears well with almost anything, but I like it best with my softest, snuggliest sweaters.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I v. much respect this perfume. Based on how powdery (and white chocolate sweet) I found this, I expected this is what Coromandle would have smelled like. Though, this is not in any way gouramond-- it's a Chanel Boutique frag, and yes, it smells expensive, and also light, v. diffuse. The more things I've smelled I think it's actually the sandalwood I'm smelling, except its nothing like the Indian Sandlewood soaps I remember, before Sandlewood became so nearly extinct. I agree w/ the reviewer below who said there seems to be a structural overlap in the chanel boutique fragrances; the aldehydes? Lasting power maybe a couple hours, but i have dry skin. Though, i catch traces of it hours after that. This review is not doing this justice at all. I have a very hard time coming up w/ any other frag that to my nose smells even remotely like it.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Truly a classic, and one of the few woody perfumes I can wear. I find this one hard to describe, but to me it's like wearing a soft cashmere scarf on cold days. I don't own a full bottle because the ones Chanel sells are so huge, but I hope they release smaller sizes someday. I would like this bottle to sit with my no.5 I took off one point for lousy staying power - I get 3 hours tops with this, again making smaller sizes necessary, since I'm not going to tote the huge vat they sell around with me.

It it very warm and it lasts very long, the only thing I didn't like about it was it smells a bit "old", maybe too sophisticated for me.

This is one of my all time favourite fragrances. I absolutely adore Bois des Iles. I just wish Chanel would release an EDP or make the parfum again. I keep trying out new scents when they're released and yet i always come back to this. This is woods - smooth, sensual and creamy woods. Divine ...

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

The only way I can describe this perfume is by saying that it smells like a woman. But not just any woman. Imagine Botticelli's Venus on her shell, and then imagine how fragrant the skin of such an idealized beauty would be. This comes close to the effect of Bois des Iles... it is a kind of ur-perfume, a perfect poem describing idealized femininity. It is tremendously gentle, superbly balanced between sweet woods, florals and aldehydes. After the first 'fix' of aldehydes, it develops on the skin into a fragrance so beautifully blended, so whisper-soft that it breaks the heart.

And yet it is not a 'special occasion' kind of scent - it is not about fireworks. You can wear it every day and it becomes a part of your skin, a part of your being. To say it is perfect signature-scent material sounds impertinent, since it is a masterpiece and one cannot personalise a masterpiece, but Bois des Iles runs counter to that notion. It is at once grand and intimate. If I ever need a reminder of why I'm obsessed with perfume, Bois des Iles is it.

Notes: vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, ylang ylang, iris, coriander, rose, jasmine and aldehydes.
This is a very lovely woody scent. It's elegant, classic, sophisticated, warm and very smooth. I'm glad that I bought a sample of this.
I'm not sure how much this retails for here in the UK but you can expect to pay out a pretty nice price for this, I'm sure. Of course the packaging is the usual divine, timeless stuff that you can expect of Chanel.
It seems a shame to give this only three lippies but it just doesn't completely bowl me over but it is indeed very beautiful.

How sad! Based on the reviews and blogs thought I would want gallons of this. Found instead that one scant spritz was PLENTY. Aldehydes galore, without the sparkling sexy mischeviousness of No. 5
Indeed, if I hadn't sprayed this myself at the Chanel boutique, I would swear someone was trying to pass off a bad No. 5 dupe.
No go.

Wonderful! My fragrance staple, Bois des Iles is the kind of woman I want to be: warm, sophisticated, full of heart and comfort, but calm and confident. Like many other great fragrances it is full of life, changing every time, always itself, but somehow different. In the outdoors, especially in cool weather, its florals sparkle a little more, in a cozy spot, its vanilla/ginger warms seems to mimic the mood.

I wear the parfum, it opens with a creamy rose, sandalwood, plenty of aldehydes. As it develops, I notice more jasmine and ginger melding with the sandalwood base. I have never tried and EdT and I would like to see if there are noticeable differences.

Popular Fragrances