November 28, 2014 | 1943 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - White Linen

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2010 8:29:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

As a high school sophomore in 1988, I wore the Designer Imposters version of White Linen, which was called Raw Silk. I loved how it smelled-- crisp, clean, and assured-- but after I used up my bottle, I forgot how much I loved that scent until last week, when I found myself suddenly getting nostalgic for my youth.

I was fortunate enough to obtain a vintage mini of White Linen perfume yesterday, and I find it devastatingly gorgeous and not the least bit harsh, as White Linen EDT can be on some people. When White Linen perfume is dabbed in tiny amounts, it's everything it should be: sparkling, joyful, and energetic, not screechy, loud, and antiseptic.

I have tried on many occasions to spray on Chanel No. 19 at the mall to figure out how I feel about it, but no matter what I do, I remain on the fence. Something about that fragrance smells incredibly strange and repellent to me, although I do admire its brisk, assured, business-like personality. At this point, I may give up on learning to make peace with Chanel No. 19 and return to the open arms of White Linen, which I love unambiguously and which has always loved me. This is the fragrance for me to wear when I want to feel alert, confident, and in charge.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2010 3:08:00 PM More reviews by girleygirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This perfume has a fruity/floral smell. It's a nice perfume to wear in the morning time..I tried to wear it throughout the whole day and it gave me a headache by nighttime cause it's very strong....So, i usually just stay it once...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The drydown is a pleasant, delicate floral with a bit of moss, but the topnotes have the sourness that rose usually develops on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2010 10:58:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My all-time favorite perfume since I was 14. This scent is very crisp, light, clean, a little powdery - I can see how it can be likened to linen (though it doesn't smell like linen). I don't know how else to describe it but I love it & am happy it's a classic that's still around. The bottle is clunky but I've grown to appreciate what it represents. I don't like any of the other White Linen versions such as Breeze (gross)...I only adore the original & believe that you shouldn't mess with a classic.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/6/2009 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Sxyska

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Unfortunately got a traveler's size of this in a gift package from estee lauder many years ago. Would rather spray on Tide.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2009 10:09:00 AM More reviews by heartsp1986

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

As I get older, I find myself drawn back to the fragrances of my childhood. White Linen is a timeless classic in my family. My grandmother wore it, an aunt, and my mom. It's not for everyone, no doubt, because scents react on each person differently. I enjoy wearing it mostly through the summer or during the winter holidays. It always brings me back to memories of family get togethers. I keep WL on my table, next to the classic Oil of Olay that the women in my family have worn too. :) It just feels comforting to have them near me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 2:21:00 AM More reviews by emmgill

This is a great smelling perfume. It's very classic. Whenever i wear it people always compliment me on it so it must smell good.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2009 8:40:00 PM More reviews by jasond51

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This scent reminds me of a very precious christmas i had with family as a child. my favorite aunt wore it....everytime i wear it i think of her. that is what a beautiful scent does, it transports you to another time, helps you forget about the crazy day and for a minute, escape.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2009 4:18:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is very strong, sharp, crisp, bitter and then powdery on the dry down. This doesn't get me thinking about "white linen" at all! More like soured citrus gone bad! It'a a bit masculine. However, I do think this is MUCH better(so much better!)than those other death scents, Knowing and Youth Dew(Youth Pew!).This, along with Beautiful, lack that distinctive "something" that Knowing and Youth Dew have! It's death like. Like something old and rotting! This is refreshing compared to that death odor! So although it isn't for me, I have to give it a 3 because I gave those other death scents a 2 and this doesn't deserve that! Also, I don't get the "old lady" thing with this! It's not bad, it's just too much! Along with Beautiful, I think White Linen is one of Lauder's best of the oldies. I'd wear Beautiful for evenings and special occasions and White Linen for everyday wear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2009 11:33:00 AM More reviews by elfriede

I'm sampling this in perfume form. (I often find aldehydic scents harsh in eau de toilette form, yet lovely as a rich and creamy perfume.) In some ways it's not what I expected. I was expecting hot-ironed fabric, or starchy laundry. This is like an bar of expensive creamy triple-milled floral soap. It definitely works better in the air-conditioning. Outdoors (80 degrees on a sunny summer morning, the day after a rain), the florals disappeared, leaving only the soap. In small doses (I'm wearing the tiniest trace and it's quite strong), I'd enjoy it on others, so long as it worked with their "chemistry." (Aldehydic scents are funny that way. On some people they sing, on some they smell literally rotten. On me they vary a lot depending on my own hormonal condition. This probably explains why many women comment that certain scents become wearable or unwearable after they go through "the change.")

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No