October 24, 2014 | 1442 users online

Liquid - Cover Girl - CG Smoothers All Day Hydrating Makeup

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2012 5:50:00 PM More reviews by vhisko

I had acne-prone skin. This is one of the only things this foundation is good for - it didnt not make you breakout. A second thing it was good for was that it is indeed very hydrating. I did not like this foundation because it had VERY little coverage, and often clumped when my skin got oily or sweaty. Itried to switch to Revlon ColourStay, but it made me breakout and my my skin very dry, so I switched back. After many of these trial and errors, I have found a foundation similar to Smoothers, in the fact that it is very hydrating and will not make me breakout (Marcelle Hydra-C) which I now use. I did use this for a very long time, but the coverage was just too poor.

Would not recommend to people with a lot of redness/dark spots/uneveness.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by ThisOldSoul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a bit surprised by the relatively low rating for this product because in my opinion, it's pretty great and I would recommend it for those who are used to using mineral powder but are wanting to try out liquid due to this foundation's light texture. I first bought this because I have been using mineral powder makeup for years and no matter what I did, in the past six months or so my skin went from combination to very dry and powder makeup was just making it worse. The favorable review by Paula Begoun finally prompted me to try this after holding out for so long hoping that switching mineral makeup lines might do the trick. For the record, if you are very pale with warm undertones, the lightest shade that will work for you is going to be "Classic Ivory" (710) which I believe is actually the SECOND lightest shade in the line; DO NOT GET THE LIGHTEST SHADE in the line since it will be cool toned.
Reasons I really like this:
1. Allows my natural freckles and features to come through
2. VERY natural looking (when not over applied); I squeeze a bit onto the back of my hand and dot onto my face with my fingers, starting with my check-bones and blending downwards
3. Lasts well enough without powder and is easily removed at night
4. The packaging: I love being able to squeeze out how ever much I need onto the back of my hand without having to pour it out or dip my fingers into a container (yay for sanitary packaging!)
5. A little seems to go a long way (again, if you are looking for natural coverage)
6. Fragrance free!

What I don't like so much:
1. For very pale gals, the offered shades may not be light enough; I wish that classic ivory was a few shades lighter, but that is kind of the bane of my existence at this point
2. This will not cover any major imperfections; while it is very good at evening out skin-tone and covering minor discoloration, it will not hide dark circles, cover acne, etc. But that's what concealer is for.
3. No SPF, so I just use a moisturizer with an adequate sunscreen underneath

Overall, this is a good foundation if you are looking for something light and natural (i.e. you hate the feeling of shellacking your face in the morning with a heavy foundation). I wear this on days when my skin is just feeling too dry for powder makeup, although I find myself using it more often now because I like it so much. I would recommend this primarily to those who already have pretty good skin but just need to balance it out to look a bit more "polished".

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 7:57:00 PM More reviews by princesssage

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bought this on a whim and liked it somewhat. I had a hard time finding a shade for light beige skin with yellow undertones, the Cover Girl foundations run so pink! But, I found one that sort of works. I like the consistency and the feel. It's more of a TM than foundation, which is something I like about it. It feels very much like second skin. Unfortunately, although it did a decent job of evening out my somewhat blotchy skin, it settled into pores around my nose. Not cute. It's cheap, so if you're in a total pinch, have great skin with pink undertones and just need to grab something at the drugstore, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If any of those aren't true, though, I'd say you can find something better, if even just a few dollars more expensive.

P.S. I have somewhat sensitive skin, and this product did not cause any sensitivity reactions or acne, although I see in the reviews it did for some other women.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 5:39:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wanted to love this because the colors were so perfect, I liked the packaging, and because it seemed as though it would be ideal for my sensitive-crazy skin--but basically it has some cheap crappy ingredients in it that broke me out! Which is per usual for CoverGirl...I also didn't like how this felt on my face (kinda oily/sits on top) and even with that, it sucked at coverage! It really works more like tinted moisturizer I guess, but it is way too useless to purchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2012 11:04:00 PM More reviews by dotgirl101

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I genuinely wanted to like this foundation. I recently started using Retin-A for my acne and scarring, and therefore my skin is relatively dry and flaky. This foundation claimed it would hydrate my skin nearly all day, and thinking it wouldn't accentuate the dryness on my face, I purchased it.
To begin with, I loved the price: it was only $8 or $9 at Wal-Mart. Also, I loved the packaging--it was much more sanitary than a foundation you have to pour out. Lastly, I loved how easy it was to apply with just my hands.
The first thing I immediately disliked about this foundation was the color. I am very pale, and bought the lightest shade it came in (Ivory). Thinking this would be light enough, I applied it to my face and, in my opinion, looked like an oompa-loompa. This may have been due to the fact that I had to layer it on because it gave such light coverage, and that's the next thing I disliked about it.
The biggest problem I had with this foundation, however, is that it actually *accentuated* dry skin on my face that I didn't even know was there! I even had a moisturizer on underneath, so I don't see why this "hydrating" makeup made my dry skin look even more noticeable.
Overall, if you have clear skin with minimal imperfections, aren't pale, and are on a budget, I would recommend this foundation to you. If applied in one light layer, I'm guessing it would make your face look nice. However, if you have mildly-moderate to severe acne and/or scarring, other noticeable imperfections that are difficult to cover with other foundations or concealers, or have light skin, don't bother with this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by mizzbouvier14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this during the wintertime, as my skin gets extremely dry due to the weather. I have never tried any kind of tinted moisturizer before, but I did not want to have to deal with flaky skin this year. So I picked this up at the drug store.
Pros-
I have had no bad issues with dry skin this winter. My skin feels and looks great with or without makeup on.
Very inexpensive drug store find, which is always a plus.
Even though I do have to use quite a bit of product, it has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.
It matches my skin tone very well
Great packaging

Cons-
I do have to use a lot of product to achieve the coverage that I need (Obviously, I'm a foundation junkie so I knew this coming into the world of TMs)
If I don't set it in with quite a bit of powder, my face does get kinda slick throughout the day

I think when winter is over, I may go back to either Colorstay, or MUFE depending on which one I buy first. Don't get me wrong , I am impressed with tinted moisturizer, but foundation will always be my first choice. HOWEVER, I will be repurchasing this exact product next winter, as it did do wonders for my skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by mirageangelhope

I really like this product it really does provide alot of moisture with light coverage.This is great For days you want to look natural but still need a little coverage.I love this because it doesn't have sparkle or shimmer in the formula and last for 8 hours.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2012 3:12:00 PM More reviews by shannon804

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I liked the packaging of this foundation, but I was unable to find a suitable color match. I ended up buying two colors, blending them together, applying with a foundation brush, and finished with a dusting of powder. With my usual foundation (MUFE HD), I never have to even think about it during the day. Around lunchtime, my face felt a little moist, and when I went to check it out, I was horrified to see that my face looked like an oil slick! Somehow, the oil had separated from the foundation to create a strange, shiny layer on top of the color. It looked fake and disgusting. I will stick with my MUFE.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2012 1:15:00 PM More reviews by ashleyford

This really isn't bad foundation as cheap as it is. I don't think it has extreme lasting power, but if I set it with powder, it lasts me decently well throughout a work shift which is usually 6-7 hours, so I'm okay with that for a cheap drugstore foundation. It feels almost like a tinted moisturizer would, it's very light and not cakey feeling. I have used it before and if I remember right, my oily skin isn't too terribly irritated by it. It's definitely a good buy if you want something casually lighter once in a while and you're not expecting miracles as far as longevity of its wear.

I also say it's maybe... mid-coverage, ish. It definitely won't cover bright red bumps or anything large, definitely NO beauty marks or anything, but it will help minimize redness... so if you don't have large bumps, just some redness, this would probably be perfect foundation for you.

As far as buying this product again, this is actually a review I thought to do the second time buying it. While I don't use it every day, I can also say the packaging is sound and the foundation lasts if you don't use it that often, my first container I had for a little over a year and it never dried up or seemed to work any less efficiently.

Not a bad foundation for a drug store find... don't expect makeup counter results, but it does it's job decently. It's not one of those you angrily throw away because it's not worth going all the way back to the store for a return.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by beckyrod

I bought this a few months ago because I was tired of all the heavy, mask-like foundations I'd tried that were very difficult to wash off and irritated my skin. This felt very light and hydrating, yet didn't make me look oily(and I have very oily skin). My skin had no negative reactions to this. In fact, within 2 weeks of using this I noticed a difference in my skin for the better. My breakouts decreased, my skin felt smoother, softer, and just healthier after I washed the makeup off. The coverage is light to medium, depending on if you use concealer or try to build it up, but after all the good effects it was having on my skin I didn't need full coverage. Price is great, about $5 at Walmart for 1 oz, and you can often find it on sale or buy 1 get 1 free. Cover Girl also offers coupons very often. So, why only 3 lippies? THE COLOR SELECTION. Cover Girl makeup has ALWAYS had very pink undertones. I am fair-medium with a very warm undertone(pretty much yellow). The closest shade I found was soft honey, which seemed to match indoors but in the sunlight it was obvious it didn't match my neck and chest. It looked too dark and beige, no yellow undertones at all. Buff Beige looked like it might have enough yellow, but was a tad too light. If Cover Girl ever comes up with more shades to better suit warm/yellow undertones, I'll definitely try this again. But I would definitely recommend this to ladies with neutral/cool undertones.