April 16, 2014 | 2082 users online

Polishes - Chanel - Le Vernis Nail Colour in Vamp #18

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2006 10:55:00 AM More reviews by kirstenjane12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought Vamp in October. It's not as dark as I would like it to be but it's still a nice color. It's very sparkly, not what I expected. It's definitely not matte.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2006 1:07:00 PM More reviews by colleen_co

I love this nail color. I just got it in 12/06 so who knows what version I have but it is a deep deep red, with a slight glimmer. I wouldn't call it shimmer, more of a gleem. It looks like blood red to me. Definetly a must have shade.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2006 4:19:00 PM More reviews by FunkDee

I originally wore Vamp back in 95/96 and LOVED it. Since it ran out (or dried out, not sure which at this point), I've used a few Essie polishes including Wicked, over the years. But wanted to get my original Vamp which I so loved in the 90's! To my dismay I found that this is NOT the same as it used to be, and all of you ladies are right, they've changed the formulation. Darn, I was in Paris in Sept, and didn't know I should do my nail polish shopping there, as it seems that Rouge Noir is only available in Europe. I definitely remember my old polish saying Rouge Noir. Oh well. This one is cute, but just not the same.

OK - Update 12/06. I ended up getting Rouge Noir, Paris made, from eBay. NOW I am happy. This is the color that I wore 10 years ago, and it's still awesome and gorgeous. Now just to get the Vamp off my toes..... pedi time. ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2006 7:57:00 PM More reviews by muddlepup

Wanted to get this for a long time but just didn't think I could part with over $18.00 for polish. But I figured a bottle of polish lasts forever so what the heck.

(By the way I asked for "Rouge Noir" and they said "oh Vamp"..and the box says Vamp. It is a very dark deep red cream. No "shimmer". The MA said that she is waiting for the "black" so maybe the original is coming back?)

Took it to the salon and I swear the manicurist let out a someone irritated sigh when she saw it. Could have been my imagination but I don't think so. When it came time to polish, it seemed like she was really battling the stuff. Looked like it went on streaky and she went over several times. She also had to do alot of cleanup, which she usually doesn't have to do. She did mention that this was a "hard polish to use". She then asked if I wanted a third coat, but I didn't have the heart to say "yes".

However the end result is spectacular! Really extraordinary! I will update and let you know how it wears in the long run.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2006 5:53:00 AM More reviews by miss_mae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Chanel must have reformulated Vamp. I had wanted the super-dark red version of Vamp that was such a huge hit in the nineties (nostalgia!). All the stores were sold out, so I ordered Rouge Noir online after reading that it was the same shade. Then, a week after I got my Rouge Noir in the mail, the store called to say they had Vamp. I had a look at the color - it was a dark mulberry with sparkles! Unremarkable.

The two shades are not the same. If you're looking for the dark, dark red that is almost black, get Rouge Noir, not Vamp. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2006 10:56:00 AM More reviews by suzier

Revlon's Vixen is almost, if not exactly, the same color. The only difference is that Vamp is a lot shinier, and the Chanel polishes seem to last longer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2006 7:42:00 AM More reviews by fivezero

This is a very elegant deep, browned red creme that seems to require three coats every time I use it, because it applies a little streakily. I actually slightly prefer the colour I get at two coats - a very dark raisin red - but it doesn't look even without a third, at which point Vamp becomes close to black. Once it's on properly, though, it looks glossy, smooth and rich. With decent base and top coats, this lasts very well on me.

I would not repurchase this, however, because the price is ridiculous considering there are very close duplicates for this colour for much cheaper:Essie Wicked achieves that near-black look on me, and I prefer the application with that polish (though it also requires 3 coats). This is one of my faves.Maybelline Wet Shine in Succulent is close, but redder/plummier.Revlon Vixen is a very similar deep browned red.Orly Naughty is less red/brown but is almost black.MAC Vintage Vamp, which I just got and I haven't tried a full manicure of, looks extremely close - it's a smidge redder and less brown.All of these are of as good or better quality than Chanel Vamp, and have prices that are easier on the pocketbook. :)

(Note: Chanel supposedly has two versions of this nail polish: one called Vamp and one called Rouge Noir. My bottle has both names on it, so I have no idea which version mine is.)

Pics:NailsBottle with both names on itSwatch Comparison 1Swatch Comparison 2Swatch Comparison 3 continued >>

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2006 7:31:00 PM More reviews by fme143

Chanel nail colors are probably the highest quality nail polishes I've ever had the pleasure of using. Two coats produce a perfect, shiny, and long-lasting finish. Vamp is my favorite color, a dramatic super-dark blood red. I usually prefer pale neutral colors or bright red, but this deep color looks great on toenails. However, it tends to make my long, narrow fingernails look scary and talon-like, so I rarely use it for manicures. A bottle lasts a long time, so it is well worth the few extra dollars.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2006 4:55:00 AM More reviews by pershoe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading qwendy's comments about the current Vamp not being the original (in the States at least), I quickly searched for my bottle of Vamp that I purchased in 2000 or 2001. Sure enough, the back label reads "Rouge Noir" and "Vamp" is printed below that. I love this color--I just rarely ever paint my nails. I cannot believe the one I have is different from what is currently available here in the U.S. Why would they change it?? Anyway, guess I better start using it--I'm surprised the nail polish has held up after so many years. If I ever use it all up, I'm ordering the Rouge Noir from Europe. This is the original and it is perfection. What fun to discover I have the original one in my possession!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2006 6:18:00 PM More reviews by amysche

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i am absolutely hooked on chanel nail polish! not only is it long-lasting, the second coat application is smudgeproof. vamp was my first color. for the equivalent of the color vamp, you can get maybelline wet shine in succulent for 4 bucks.