December 21, 2014 | 945 users online

Mascara - Bourjois - Coup de Theatre 2 in 1 False Lash Illusion

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by XxAwesomeActressxX

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I have this in 2 colours, not a traditional black but the brown which is kind of bronzy and then the purple which is a plum but looks less intense ( more like a soft black) on the lashes.
I love the effect this gives, beautiful defined lashes <3
i got it on sale for $9 each (:
really want to get it in black but its like $20 something :(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2009 12:55:00 PM More reviews by danai

I'm a large Bourjois fan and I swear by some of their products, plus their sweet, playful packaging makes buying them a sure-fire way to perk my mood up when I'm down. That's why it makes me very sad that I have to give them a bad review, but, well, this mascara here just doesn't cut it.
Before I get to the point, I have to stress out that I got the brown version of this (it also comes in black, blue, green and purple), which may be part of why this is not working for me at all. Let me explain: I'm no brown mascara newbie, in fact 75% of times I buy and wear brown mascara and spare the black ones for special occasions. You see I'm one of the people that find black mascara too harsh on fair skin/light hair (I'm fair skinned with naturally dark blond hair dyed honey blond). I've had Max factor, Stila, Nivea and whatnot in brown. So I know what brown's supposed to look like. This mascara is not brown though. It's in fact dark bronze/auburn. Which unfortunately means, it will not show up unless your lashes are already whitish blond. On mine this will take loads of layers to show up, and even when it finally does, I do not get any intensity.
What also contributes a great deal to the problem, is the fact that the consistency is very thin and runny. I've had tons of volumizing mascaras before, and I'm very surprised that Bourjois decided to make a volumizing mascara so incredibly thin. Ok, so it coats lashes nicely and evenly and lengthens somewhat, especially if you layer and layer it on. But it does not give volume. I does not create the illusion of thickness. It does NOT create anything even remotely reminiscent of the fringe of lashes the model has in the ad. The result it gives would be expected from a tubing mascara, not from a volumizing/thickening one. This is so disappointing. Furthermore, on me it's not clump-proof. As I layer it on (which I need to do for it to even show up) lashes start sticking together. And it takes forever to dry as well. Now this was not cheap. It was 15. Not good.
Honestly this product really baffles me. It's supposed to be a primarly thickening/volumizing mascara for a dramatic, even "theatrical" effect. Then why is the consistency so thin? And why on earth is the "brown" in fact so unbelievably light and bronzey? Wouldn't you expect a mascara to be deep brown in order to show up on anyone?
To sum things up, I'd only recommend the exact product I bought to ladies who are naturally platinum blond and have extremely light, even whitish lashes. On anyone else this will take quite an effort to show up. I can't safely say if the black version delivers, but based on the formula, which is the same I suppose, even the black one will give you good length and probably nice definition and glossiness, but not dramatic, volumized lashes. I give this two lippies instead of one because it's cool for a very natural look; on my naturally light brown lashes it literally looks "my lashes but better". This is not what I bought it for though:-( It's exactly the opposite.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2009 10:31:00 PM More reviews by iluvboyz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Dear Bourjois, you make amazing mascaras and wish I would have discovered you much sooner. This mascara makes my eyelashes look super dark, super long and they stayed curled all day. I do wish it would give me more volume but I do have pretty thin lashes. This beats ALL the drugstore mascara's I have tried and other high end. I think I paid 10 bucks for this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2009 2:52:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

One coat of Bourjois COUP DE THEATRE 2 IN 1 mascara is all I need for beautifully separated, evenly coated, non-clumpy lashes. Because of the perfect separation my lashes look thicker as well as being noticably longer.

When I want a dramatic evening look I wear one coat of Maybelline's Lash Stiletto under one coat of this. It looks like I'm wearing false eyelashes.

The magic is in the wand. The brush is composed of rows of combs instead of bristles. It grabs & coats every lash, even those little stragglers in the outer corners of the eye.

I've had no problem with flaking or smudging.

The packaging is cute & the price is right. A great buy.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2009 10:48:00 AM More reviews by jules0305

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This review is for the new version w/o the double end. I really like this mascara. So far it is a HG! The reason I say "so far" is because I am on a neverending quest for the perfect mascara, so I can't say it for sure is the greatest ever, but it's the best I've used thus far. And that list is pretty long: L'Oreal Voluminous (previous HG), Maybelline Full & Soft, Max Factor Volume Couture and 1000 Calorie, CoverGirl Exact Eyelights, etc...
I usually don't like the rubber spoolies but this one is great...it is really thin, so it can get my lower lashes without smudging mascara everywhere. It really separates and defines and there's no clumping at all. And, the package is super cool. Basically, this is my go-to everyday mascara, but I'll probalby still use L'Oreal Voluminous for the super dramatic look. So, I definitely recommend this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2009 10:13:00 AM More reviews by Chickadee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the 2 in 1 version of this, NOT the double ended version. I really love the brush, but the formula is just not that fabulous. The brush is like Chanel's Inimitable mascara, but the formula just does not provide that much volume. I would say it lengthens and provides some curl, but it's severely lacking in the volume department, mostly because the formula is a bit thin. It just doesn't have that 'oomph' that a mascara needs to deposit enough product to thicken. It does enhance my lashes for a more natural, flirty look, but I wasn't blessed with great lashes, so I need a bit more from my mascara. False lashes? Only if they are the 'Wispies.' I would expect a little bit more performance for $18.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2009 11:12:00 PM More reviews by CarasGaladhon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I really like this mascara, it's one of the best I've used so far. It's good for thickening, lengthening and curling - it's just a great mascara all round.
The packaging is really eye-catching and funky.
It doesn't clump at all. The only down side for me is that it isn't very long lasting. After about two hours, I need to reapply.
But considering what it does to my eyelashes, I would say this problem is pretty minor.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2009 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Sylviiaa

this is the old version, now their is a new one !
this is a good mascara, it doesn't give any clumps and it separates my lashes nicely. when wet, you can go for lenghting, when dry, you can build up the volume but be carefull you don't overdo.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/17/2009 7:53:00 PM More reviews by jlwil2

I was expecting a lot from this mascara but it disappointed as despite the inclusion of microfibres in the formula, the length was negligible and it certainly didn't give the illusion of false lashes. It also tended to make my lashes straighten after curling. I compared it with Maybelline XXL Curl Power which seems to give better length, volume and curl for a cheaper price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2009 12:12:00 AM More reviews by nadeen4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

i like this mascara , i bought this mascra for my honeymoon , it does thicken and lengethen my lashes very well, still a bit clumpy , nice stuff as awhole