Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF45

3.6

Active Ingredients: Avobenzene 3%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 2.8%, Oxybenzone 6% Inactive Ingredients: water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Napthalate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Trideceth-6, Behenyl Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance (1220-046)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

DO NOT BUY IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN!!! This made my face burn mad red. It doesn't leave a white cast, but that's due to the horrible chemical ingredient sunscreens, 10% homoslate is pretty high and this is one o f the more worse chemical sunscreens. The irritation may NOT even be the formula, BUT THAT HOMOSLATE CAN BE CONTAMINATED WITH SALYCLIC ACID. (But I am not giving a low rating because of chemical sunscreens this isn't the naturalbeautyalley). The formula applied way too thick and it was impossible to rub on my face. I don't find it controlled a lot of oil however I think it was nice as a face primer as my face felt more smooth after application. Overall I would not repurchase because of the formula thickness and it's obv. not suitable for my skin type. I'd rather invest in a sunscreen that doesn't contain a crap amount of chemicals and irritates even sensitive skin.

on 3/3/2012 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is a great sunscreen option for oily skin and one of the few non-greasy options you can pick up at the drugstore. My skin is very oily and acne/clog prone and I bought this product specifically for facial use. Neutrogena's Helioplex formulations are stable and some of the more protective options available in the U.S. This looks a bit white and scary while applying but absorbs quickly and dries down clear and quite matte. It works well under makeup and doesn't clog or break me out. I haven't burned with it either so I feel protected while wearing it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it stings my eyes quite badly, which I suspect is due to the Avobenzene. I don't like using a ton of products in the morning, which is when I would be applying sunscreen, so I don't want a separate product just for my eyes. For that reason I will be using up the rest of my tube on my body and continue looking for another facial option. I would repurchase this for body use since it is nice and matte and it's certainly worth checking out is you are not particularly sensitive. On a side note, I changed the ingredient listing which appears to be from several years ago and includes a less stable formulation. I assume Neutrogena has reformulated since then since the ingredient listing on my tube is completely different. I copied it straight from there :)

on 2/8/2012 6:18:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I tried this on a whim, because I had oily skin, and I just ran out of my favorite sunscreen which was also discontinuing as well. I remembered that one of my friends used to use this so I decided why not, and I actually really do like this sunscreen. It does not make me super oily throughout the day just a little shiny (about 9-11 hours of wear). I like how it applies and goes on smooth. I never apply it near my eye area, since we're not suppose to. I love how long a tube lasts you and for the price I don't mind. Definitely will repurchase, but I think I want to try out other sunscreens too, if they don't work out I'd always be glad to go back to this one! :) What I don't like about it is how I have to use makeup remover to remove the sunscreen, but I guess I have to do that with all sunscreen. It does a decent job and I have not yet found something that worked better, but I still give this product a 4 because the oil-control is not SUPER SUPER good. :/

on 2/4/2012 5:24:00 AM

For the price, a pretty good product. But disregarding that factor, it leaves something to be desired.

Compared to other sunblocks under $15, it's a fairly strong contender. But unfortunately, I've hated almost every other sunblock I've ever tried. This one, although not breaking me out necessarily, is a little pore clogging despite my Retin A. It's still a little greasy and leaves a shine on my face that pretty much compels me to use an oil blotting sheet after I apply it.

So overall, not bad, and pretty good for the price. But since I have resolved to wearing at least SPF 30 everyday, next time I will go for a higher end sunscreen that will feel more like lotion.

on 1/5/2012 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Like it said, lightweight and fast absorbing. I used it everyday as a teenager underneath powder. It looks a little chalky at first but it blends in nicely into skin.
It can be applied on face and body, put it in the bag on the go.
Great tube packaging, sanitary. For 3.0 FL OZ(88ml), the price is okay, nothing more than 15 bucks.

on 9/19/2011 10:02:00 PM

I used this all summer long and I loved it! It went on smoothly, absorbed well, didn't get the clownish white face, and I think it protected me from the sun.

on 8/24/2011 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Meh. I still use this & yesterday bought the spray SPF 55 version. I get this because it's easy to find & has a nice SPF level. I do love that it's non greasy.

I have two issues. First I can't use this on my face b/c it caused a cystic acne breakout. Second it's difficult to blend. I'm NC45 & If it don't spend extra time rubbing this in it leaves my skin with a grey cast. Walking dead look = not cute. I anticipate the spray version will be better in this regard but I learned my lesson & will not use the spray version anywhere near my face.

on 8/24/2011 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

This sunscreen worked well - it prevented any redness or sunburn on my face. However, I immediately broke out in painful cystic pimples!
Bummer!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love the product, but I have reallyyy sensitive skin so it burns my face. Not sunburn, but a chemicalish feeling. I liked the Neutrogena Pure&Free Baby sunscreen. Both delivered amazing sun protection, but I liked the baby sunscreen more.

on 8/2/2011 4:31:00 AM

I love this sun block, it's the best I've used. The best part is that it's not greasy at all and does not create a white cast when taking flash photography. Also this doesn't clog my pores at all. I tend to have an oily T-zone and this controls it fairly well. The only thing I might note is that if you tend to have dry or patchy skin you might not like this product. if you do have a dry patch it tends to emphasize it. Aside form this, I highly recommend it.