Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 6/23/2014 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Wow! This is a serious product.
I have it in SX12, a very yellow, golden shade that matches my NC44 complexion well.
This thick concentrated super pigmented cream works in all the ways described by reviewers: as a concealer, neat foundation or sheered out with moisturiser or sunscreen.
For me, I find this works best neat, in small quantities on well moisturised skin. It works wonders as an under eye concealer to completely cover my dark circles. It also looks beautiful as a foundation, evening out my hyper pigmentation, while still looking very natural, almost imperceivable texturally.
When using this as a foundation, i find I need to add contour and highlights back into the plains of my face to prevent it from looking one dimensional.
A fabulous, very unique product.

on 6/20/2014 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I'm surprised 70% would buy again if they ran out. You could honestly NEVER run out of this product, unless you're a makeup artist. This product would outlive you any day.
A needle point size amount mixed with moisturiser will cover your face as a medium coverage foundation. I'm not exaggerating.

This product definitely does what it says on the tin.
It is a concealer, not the flimsy types, probably the MOST pigmented, thickest concealer. It will cover ANYTHING even tattoos. It is sooo pigmented you can smell the foundation smell. Like what a $1 foundation might smell like, a waxy kind of smell, I cant really describe it.

HOWEVER

For acne, dark circles etc please take my advice or any general reasons you would use a concealer for, it is not worth putting this on your skin. Your skin is delicate, your under eyes even more so and acne prone skin etc is even more sensitive. You DO NOT want to use something this heavy duty on your delicate face. It will cover the problem thats not your worry, but most likely make it worse.

Yes you can sheer it out by mixing with a moisturiser. But whats the point?

I you should purchase this only if you DIRELY need EXTREME coverage and there is absolutely nothing else. If you have something like a scar (a scar yeaaars old that has healed its best already and the skin is 'dead' now) or a tattoo thats REALLY bothering you then you should go for it because NOTHING will cover like this, this may be the answer you've been looking for.

This does not 'enhance' your skin it creates a new one.
I am lost as to what to do with my pots.

on 6/12/2014 7:28:00 PM

After reading many reviews regarding this product and watching many videos about it, I decided to try it, not to achieve an overly made up look but rather just the opposite; to use it as a concealer in a sparse fashion to prevent me from having to build up too much foundation all over my face. I have decided I do like it but I think it does requires a bit of time to figure out how best to use it.

This product can be used as either a concealer or a foundation. If you sheer it out and mix it with moisturizer I think it works fairly well as a foundation (although dry skin gals may have some issues if not cautious). It is expensive for the very small amount you purchase, however, I do think it will last a very very long time because you only need a small amount to achieve the result you want. I have age spots and broken capillaries around my nose that I wish to totally conceal. It is in these areas I apply the product with my beauty blender. The results are excellent.

I very much recommend you watch some of the videos on it and/or attempt to get a sample of it to match your complexion. It runs from very light to very dark. This product could be very helpful to individuals looking for a good concealer.

on 6/12/2014 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have been having a real issue finding a concealor for my asian yellow undertone NC40 skin; i have literally tried chanel, LM, bobbi brown (eye brightener), YSL (touche eclat) and this is it!

Perfect consistency when mixed with Kevyn Aucoin primer and easy to apply and works well with my skin and does not get chalky or white nor does it look un-natural.

I am suprised that the #9 with the pink undertone was the one we prefered over the #11 with the yellow undertone. I wear this with the Dior Nude foundation or the Jouer TM and set everything with MUFE HD Pressed Powder.

I don't have very dark circles and no wrinkles and this makes me look fresh and polished.

You only have to use a tiny amount of this product and I use it in conjunction with Napoleon Perdis The One Concealor which is actually a corrector

Very happy with this product and the make-artist literally said that the jar would last me 4 years.

on 5/22/2014 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I purchased the sensual skin enhancer in SX15 (deepest shade) on beauty.com for about $10. It arrived very dark and I didn't know what to do with it. Then I thought, let me try it as a contour and I have never looked back. I now reach for this daily to contour my cheekbones and jawline (light on jawline). No more powder kits, etc, just this one will be what I use to contour with. I don't have to contour my nose but if I did it would work like a dream. It blends like there is no business! I dip ELF's C brush (another what do I do with this odd shape brush) on the slant side in and that is enough for both cheeks a tiny bit goes a long way. If I have too much on the brush I swirl it then use a slanted angle brush to blend it out and it works! I am sure the jar will last me until I am 100 ha. I use nothing else to contour with but this. Ladies, especially deeper skin tones, you need to try SX15

on 5/18/2014 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

You might have a little sticker shock when you pay for this item and it comes in the mail in a wee, itty-bitty pot. I thought, "Surely, they sent me a sample size!"

This stuff is PIGMENTED. You totally get what you pay for and then some.

I use this product both as a concealer for Hormonal Pimples of Death (HPOD) and I've recently started using it as a foundation just on the inner parts of my face, where there's more discoloration and redness.

When I use this as a concealer, I take a synthetic brush and just lightly touch the bristles to the product. That is literally all I need--even for a jumbo zit. Press it in with your fingers to warm the product a bit and it is seamless.

Right now, I've been using a bit more (think the size of a pinhead or maybe a bit smaller) and dotting it all around my nose, cheeks (inner) and chin. Then I blend it out with a regular paddle-style foundation brush. This way I can apply a TM or BB cream on the rest of my face so that it looks fresh and not super made up, but I still have coverage where I need it. My allergies are really horrible right now as well, and buffing this around the eyes takes down the redness and discoloration I get from all the pollen.

I purchased this almost two years ago now and I don't know if I'll ever run out of it! Granted, it's not something I use all the time, as I cycle through foundations a lot, but even if you used a bit every day, it would talk a long time to use all of this up.

One caveat because it is so pigmented: make sure you get the right color! I ordered online from Nordstrom and assumed I would be the lightest warm tone because most other foundations aren't pale enough for me. SX-01 is PALE. I wear SX-03 (I'm about an NC10 in Mac--without oxidation :D).

You need to set this with powder if you have oily skin, but it lasts and gives fantastic coverage.

Highly recommended--especially if you have a special event and need something that covers but doesn't have any flashback.

on 5/18/2014 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

The thing that has always made me insecure is the darkness under my eyes. For me it's something I always see. I have tried what feels like every single concealer on the market. From spending a little to spending $100 a pop on concealer I have never found a product that made my dark circles disappear. Until this GEM!! For the price it's to die for, a little goes a long way. The sa at Barney's put it on me & I fell in love. I mean to feel perfect in that lighting? That's next to impossible. When I went out in the real world the feeling of perfection didn't go away. Even into the night with that same application I looked flawless. My friends asked me immediately what I was doing different. So I was sold needless to say!! Okay guys remember a little goes a LONG way. I think for those who have issues with this cream it all has to do with application. Remember to apply an eye cream before using this. That makes this (and any other concealer) set and spread easily. Then just use a tiny bit of product. You will amazed on how little you need to feel fully covered. Less is more!!! Once you have mastered the art of applying this you will be in love. You can even use a little with your moisturizer to create your own tinted moisturizer. This is one product that will leave you feeling all around fabulous.

on 4/13/2014 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is the absolute best concealer on the market! It is very creamy and it has a golden glow to it, giving the look of being lit within. You only need a tiny bit of it, to get the coverage you need. I got a small sample from Neimans two weeks ago and I still have a lot left. Neimans just started carrying Kevyn Aucoin 3 weeks ago. I used to use Bobbi Brown concealer and this one hands down is ten times better and you need a lot less product. It also photographs beautifully. I can't wait to go and spend 42 dollars and buy it as soon as my sample runs out! I have tan coloring, and I use #11, in Mac I think it 35. They have a variety of shades for AA women and all skin colors. The eyeshadows are also gorgeous! I will leave that for another post.

on 3/5/2014 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this product! I was on the fence about buying it because of the reviews. I use a retinol at night and have dry, flaky skin every once in a while from it so through the reviews I was worried about this accentuating those flakes.

But, I love it! I use a small brush and pin point spots and then blend with my beautyblender. I don't think it's cakey at all, and I am a tinted moisturizer/bb cream kind of girl too! This stays on all day on my combo skin and never gets oily or dry. Sometimes I will pat on my favorite face oil (fresh seaberry) around lunch, but it's not necessary.

I got this in 05. I am a nw20-25 in mac, cool beige in bobbi brown, Deauville in sheer glow, br30 in ysl, light in most bb creams, etc.

Maybe I like it so much because the color is perfect for me. It doesn't make me look made up, orange, washed out.. it just makes me look a little better than I would otherwise.

This is a tiny pot, more like concealer. I thought it was going to be bigger honestly, but a little goes a long way! Other than the size, the other thing I would maybe change is the scent. Sometimes I get a hint of like a paint sort of smell.

I would give this a shot. I hope it works for you!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

For reference I am a MAC NW22. I use Kevyn Aucoin SSE in SX07, which is pretty much perfect if a tiny bit too dark. My skin is normal to dry and needs good coverage as I have hereditary redness and I'm prone to burst capillaries.

The first thing I want to mention is that it's number one ingredient is mineral oil - we know how cheap that is to make - so the price of this feels completely unjustified. I'm not part of the anti-mineral oil brigade, but I am unimpressed with it.

I don't like this as a concealer as I think it's too cakey. If you do want to use it as a concealer, seriously, use it as a pin-point! Don't smear it and I'd also say use something else under your eyes that's lighter in texture.

As other reviewers have said you need the smallest amount of product to cover your whole face. I LOVE this as a base. I take a half pea-sized amount on a RealTechniques detailer brush and dot it around my whole face. I then spray a beauty blender with MAC Fix+ and gently tap it into the skin. It leaves the most BEAUTIFUL finish. It's glowy in the sense that it's like having an inner glow rather than the synthetic, over-glowy glow that so many foundations give. It really covers my redness and makes my skin look great even when it isn't. For that I would really recommend it. I have used this around 10 times and seriously have probably used 0.2% of the product up - it's going to last you a LONG time.

EDIT 20/04/14: I've taken a lipstick off as over time it's become more apparent that this has a pretty bad staying power. Within hours it's gone patchy and for the price it's not particularly something I want to be powdering and retouching all the time. I don't have this problem with any of my other skin bases so I'm pretty let down by it.