July 24, 2014 | 994 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by livviilee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My details: skin colour is yellowish, and other foundations I have worn, such as Christian Dior nude natural glow in 031, Shu Uemura architect in 754, have always been a tad too pink for me. Chanel Aqua Vitalumiere in Sable 30 is close to the perfect colour, however the alcohol left an unattractive sheen and dried out my normal/dry skin. This shade, SX08, is *perfect*, and this review is based on usage during the cooler months (no warmer than 20 degrees celsius).

*This* is the holy grail of foundation for me. Best method of application: after cleansing, and moisturising with a combination of glycerin and coconut oil, I spritz my face with a combination of Akin rosewater and glycerin (I put in about a teaspoonful in a 100ml bottle). Take a rice grain size of this product and spread on the tips of the four fingers of each hand to warm. Then, dot sparingly around the face, with more product around the nose and blemishes on my chin, and radiating out onto the cheeks and forehead. Grab my expanded beauty blender (ie soaked in water and squeezed but not too much, you'd want this slightly damp so that you can sheer out the foundation). Apply until product has blended in to the skin, then spritz again with the rosewater spray. Within 5 minutes, skin is gorgeous, slightly illuminated but not greasy, and most importantly, does not look like makeup at all. It's like I've applied a thin layer of skin on top. Lasts all day at the office, only requiring the occasional touch up around the nose; does not break me out, or result in red patches on my skin like the aforementioned foundations, despite the several days I have not washed my face at night; fragrance/odor free; unbelievably economical, highly pigmented, the smallest amount is enough for my whole face, at the rate I'm using it (and I use it everyday) it'd take me at least a year to finish it. It truly is the perfect foundation, and I'd remove one star from each of my previous foundation reviews (except for the Colorescience pressed mineral powder, that too is my holy grail foundation, but for summer) to demonstrate how superior this product is to every foundation I've tried. It's actually quite surprising how my skin didn't break out, given the main ingredient is mineral oil and it contains talc, so oily face gals, please bear this in mind. All in all, this jar of facial goodness has earned its rightful place permanently in my makeup bag (along with the beauty blender, Christian Dior eyeshadow, and Bobbi Brown black gel eyeliner).

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 8:56:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Purchasing this again. For info, I am an NC15 leaning towards NC20 in summer but since I don't tan at all, I use the same colors year round.

I use this in SX5 for my face, and a dab of SX3 for under eyes. I apply with a blender sponge and then buff with one of the many buffer brushes in my stash. Set with either LaPraire, LaMer or Chanel powder and then spray mist. I get flawless skin which looks natural and not at all caked. Every time I use a liquid foundation, I find that I can get splotchy skin during the day, but with these amazing little pots, I can last the whole day into night with perfect looking skin.

Use this as a foundation, mix with serum, primer or illuminating products and you will really get your bang for the buck from these products. Don't worry about the cost either -- one pot will last for almost 2 years, making this an inexpensive product which really gives great service.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by AzizaJD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The Sensual Skin Enhancer is the best concealer/foundation one can purchase. THE BEST. It lasts forever. Even if you wear this everyday, it will last you for most of the year.

I first purchased it 6-7 years ago. Unfortunately, convinced by the makeup "expert" at the store, I purchased a SX 11. The lighting in the store made the product look like a perfect match. Boy was I wrong. As with most makeup, this oxidizes so the color you purchase becomes darker after application. My face looks orange after wearing it (I've had this issue with many foundations on the first run). However, I still use SX 11, which is the 2nd or 3rd darkest shade, for contouring.

I recently purchased SX 07 and SX 06 (I am an NC 20 in MAC)(my awesome wedding makeup artist informed me that I was NOT an NC 40...yeah, once again, I listened to the makeup artist at the store). The SX 07 is perfect. SX 06 I use for highlighting certain areas of the face and blending. Fact of the matter is, women of color (Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, Latina, etc.) need more than one foundation color. Our faces are naturally contoured...lighter in some areas and darker in others (and I am not talking about hyperpigmentation). The Sensual Skin Enhancer can be mixed with other foundations or one can even use two different colors to achieve perfect coverage.

The color range is limited, so one may have to blend the product to produce either a slightly darker or lighter shade. But this product blends very well with everything (from moisturizer to illuminators). It's very pigmented, so blending it with other products does not eradicate its high level of pigmentation. You can blend this with other products for a more sheer application.

In Chicago, there are two apothecary stores that sell Kevyn Aucoin makeup. Ask for samples to take home and test out to see what shades you like. I don't recommend purchasing this product on the spot, as it can oxidize and turn into a completely different color than what you thought you purchased.

22 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2013 2:11:00 AM More reviews by hye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought this off strawberrynet.com for around 50 AU which isn't the cheapest of products even at the discounted price, although having said that, for the level of pigmentation this product offers, the overall price is well worth it. i have used this a few times and have barely dented the product which suggest how long this little pot of magic is going to last me.

First off, i am the type of girl who prefers a natural, my skin but better complexion so apply this as a foundation thinned out with a damp make up sponge. If i want to use this as a concealer i use a brush to conceal under my eyes and round my nose etc. I love the natural finish this gives me. it is a semi matte, natural finish that looks very natural. If you prefer your makeup like mine then give this a shot!

The lasting power is great and after a few hours wear still looks fantastic. I am a mac nc 30 , asian skin-toned girl and bought this in SX10 which is medium with beige undertones. This suits me beautifully when used as an overall foundation. As a concealer I am going to purchase SX5 (light with beige undertones) and SX7 (light with neutral yellow undertones).

I have to admit the colour guide is very confusing. as we do not stock this in Australia I had to really jump into the deep end and guess which shades to go for. SX10 is perfect though!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 4:50:00 AM More reviews by shuppet88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an interesting, high coverage, multipurpose product. I like to mix it in with a bit of eye cream or Argan oil for use under the eyes, or for fuller coverage I go straight in with a fluffy concealer brush. I'm using it currently as a concealer for under the eyes and for marks and blemishes, and it works wonderfully. It instantly covers marks and actually stays on. For a quick but still covered face, I use this and top it off with Sephora's baked mineral powder. I get an awesome, naturally flawless look that is very fast and simple. Granted, I don't have very many problems with my skin now, so I don't really use it as a full-on foundation (I'm also just a tad bit lazy and don't feel like mixing it with anything). But when I randomly remember to do so, it looks amazing when mixed with a light serum. It's really quite heavenly, actually. This is pretty much the best concealer (and occasional foundation) that I've ever tried. It may be a bit on the pricey side, but honestly it's such a tiny pot that has lasted me for the last six months. I haven't even come close to putting a dent in it. I think I would cry and freak out if I lost it :( I don't need to look further for my concealing needs. Beats my NARS stick concealer hands down. If I'm using it as an allover foundation, I don't really like to set it because I like the slightly dewy look it gives. But if I'm using it as a full coverage under-eye concealer, I must set it with a transparent powder. For reference I'm SX 11.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by Hypnolove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've had this for a couple weeks. I'm anNC40 and SX08 is perfect. I like it so much I actually have TWO! I think it works better as a concealer than a foundation but that's fine because I have a problematic pigmented totally insane chin area that is totally at odds with the rest of my face which is totally fine. I basically use it to align my chin with my face and then powder over the whole lot and then spray with a setting spray. I love interesting packaging bcuz for me makeup is all abt the aesthetic and so the packaging on this is a little meh! But hey, that didn't stop me from buying two! Ps I apply with stippling brush or real techniques expert face brush which helps to AMAZING coverage. I like:)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by jenzie92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love love love this foundation! I was undecided whether I should buy it or not because it is pretty pricey! But the end I bought it and I'm so glad I did! I purchased mine for £36 from SpaceNK in the shade SX04. As a reference I am an NC20 in MAC. This shade has very strong yellow undertones which works for my light yellow skin. This foundation is a bit of a faff so I would not recommend it for those girls who like to get up and go! I have got my own way of applying this foundation. It had taken some work and some refining but I've got there in the end! I apply this foundation starting with a moisturiser. I use Boots No7 beautiful skin day cream. Over that, I apply a silicone primer which helps the SSE move across your face. I use GOSH velvet touch primer. Then I dab my finger in the pot and dot some product across my face. I then get my Revlon Colorstay in buff, and also dot that over my face, then spritzing my real techniques flawless face brush with Fix+, I start to buff both products in to my skin. After I finish buffing, I tap over the foundation with my fingers just to really melt in into my skin. I then apply the SSE as a concealer over the top, and set it all with Ben Nye Cameo loose powder and the result is amazing! Its a demi matte finish and it lasts all day! It is an incredibly pigmented product though so you don't need a lot believe me! I can see this product lasting me months! Thank you Kevyn Aucoin for creating such a miracle product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't know why this is listed only as a concealer and not as a foundation, because that's it's best use as far as I'm concerned. Mix it with a blob of primer, moisturizer or luminizer and you get absolutely natural looking, satiny skin. It's so flexible, you can make it sheer or medium or even full coverage, but I find the last too cakey looking. That's why I don't like it as a concealer, even thinned out. Somehow it dries a bit more under my eyes, but all over the face & neck, it's absolutely fantastic. SX08 for NC35-ish slightly olive skin. It has a definite golden tone, which matches my skin perfectly.
Will rebuy forever :-)

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by gingercurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product about three times a week for 4 months. I am happy to say that my very breakout and clog prone skin does not react poorly to this product and I have not broken out. You only need a dot or two of this product to cover your entire face. It sheers out nicely to be used as a foundation but also works well as a concealer. Just remember that this product is very full coverage and would probably not be ideal for someone who is looking for a more sheer foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 8:58:00 AM More reviews by MeganRoseLane

After reading all of the amazing reviews on this foundation I was beyond excited when It arrived in the post. I bought it in 08 which is perfect for me as I am an NC35/37 in MAC. It would definitely be too light in the Summer, but it works wonders when mixed with a thinner foundation or BB cream, so you could always mix it with a darker foundation rather than buying a new one.

The tub looks TINY for a foundation but you literally need a pea size amount to cover your entire face. I have found that mixing it with Estee Lauder double wear and a tiny amount of MAC Lustre drops (For a goldy shimmer) gives you the most flawless finish. Probably too heavy for the day, but perfect for a night out. (And it looks great under flash photography, no dreaded white mask face!!!)

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No