November 26, 2014 | 1631 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by mariavittoria1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A staple in my makeup artist and personal kit. On myself I use this to spot conceal my acne and it works amazingly well. On clients, I've used this in every possible way, from a full coverage tattoo concealer to a more sheered down version to make a tinted moisturizer. On a recent editorial I've mixed no.16 with moisturizer to make the gorgeous black model's skin look like butter.
It takes a while to get used to the thickness, but once you've mastered it, it will become your best friend. I've had mine for more than a year and haven't even used 1/3 of the pot. I also love that the pots are super tiny and lightweight, they fit perfectly in my kit.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2013 1:33:00 AM More reviews by voodoodolly330

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This feels terrible and fake as an all-over foundation but works wonderfully as a spot concealer. It's very dry, dull and insanely pigmented, which is perfect for spot concealing.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by IkeaIneedya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just wanted to write a review to comment about shades. I ordered SX03 and SX05. I'm NW15-20....so fair with pink/cool undertones. These shades are neutral and lighter than I expected based on what I saw online. SX03 cuts out the redness in my face but because its a touch too light and too beige - it gives me a sallow appearance. Its not awful, but I don't think its a great match. SX05 is much better.

This product is thick and highly pigmented so it gives amazing coverage. I find it really hard to spread so I'm trying out different products to mix it with to help it blend out on my face. So far my Laura Mercier illuminating tinted moisturizer is working okay. I don't love this but I'm still figuring it out I guess.

Edit: I have returned this product. I couldn't get it to spread and blend well on my skin. too cakey

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2013 4:31:00 AM More reviews by funnyblossom

Now I get it! I did a lot of research before taking the plunge and getting SX07 on strawberrynet without even testing it beforehand. I wear bobbi brown 3 or 3.5 and think #7 is better as a concealer. But I tried to apply it in many ways: thinly with a brush, dabbing with my fingers.. is just sat there and looked like "baby jane" makeup. Then I mixed a speck (this thing goes for miles..) with Cicalfate by Avene (my favorie for the eye area, but it would work well with bobbi brown extra eye cream as well). I dabbed it with my fingers and it looked good and lasted. I then bought #10 to try and use it as foundation (cicalfate as a base). It worked well, but today I got outstanding results doing the following:
- wash and apply toner (paula┬┤s choice skin recovery , my fave!)
- apply Bobbi brown extra tinted moisturizing balm in medium all over.
go downstairs and make a cup of coffee and toast ( not sure how long it takes.. 10 min?)
- get 01 square of toilet paper and place against skin to absorb excess of shine
- apply tiny specks of #10 all over and blend with fingertips/ sigma round kabuki in some places.
- #7 dabbed only in undereye area near nose.
-#10 with concealer brush over my (very detested) 4 brown spots on my face
I guess this is as close as I will ever get to looking like Monica Bellucci - seriously good , even skin.
Best part: I got home after work (winter around 13 degrees) and it still looked good (I used dior skinflash #3 on the bus home under the eye near the nose)
I am 43 for the record.
Update ater 3 weeks: I am sure this was a good buy. I use it everyday over darks spots over any foundation. If I dust power over it, it looks natural and lasts long.
My favorite thing is to mix it with moisturizer (Avene Cicalfate, or Trixera since I like a heavier cream).

Update: I love it! Here are some photos to help anyone out there who needs swatches. I am not a swatch guru though.

Set 1 : A is BobbiBrown Skin Beige 3, B is Chanel Perfection Lumiere Beige 30, C is Kevyn Aucoin Sx10 dabbed heavily as a liquid foundation, D is Kevyn Aucoin Sx10 dabbed lighted as it is supposed to be used.

Set 2: A is Chanel Vitalumiere Petale 25, B is Kevyn Aucoin Sx7 heavily applied, C is Kevyn Aucoin sx7 applied as it should be, D is Laura Mercier Creme Smooth in Warm Ivory.
This blog has a great list+videos : http://www.shamelessfripperies.com/video/kevyn-aucoin-sensual-skin-enhancer-review-and-demonstration/

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Siongyen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff has revolutionised my make up. I initially did not like this as I swatched in my hand a couple of times and hated the texture stiff, thick and horrid. Then my friendly SA in Space NK showed me how it works. She redid my make up with a tinted moisturiser first, I normally use Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser. Then applied this where I needed it and buffed it out with a brush. The effect is absolutely flawless my skin just looks so good now. The brush she recommeded was one from Kevyn Aucoin, but said a real techniques buffing brush works just as well. I would advise getting a brush to apply this as the product is too stiff in texture to move around with your fingers. I have olive skin so when I get a spot or blemish the skin will scar for a couple of months. This fondation covers the scars/blemish naturally. When I apply a creamy blush over this product it hold perfectly, as in you don't see the blemish after applying a cream blush. This is a problem I had with a number of other foundations, after covering what I needed to the foundation would come off with a cream blush.
The packaging is small so easy to take with you, and you only really need a little bit to cover you face. I also have been in fixes where I needed to reapply my make up for drinks after work. I have just reapplied a little bit over old make up and it doesn't look cakey but refreshes everything really nicely.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by livviilee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My details: skin colour is yellowish, and other foundations I have worn, such as Christian Dior nude natural glow in 031, Shu Uemura architect in 754, have always been a tad too pink for me. Chanel Aqua Vitalumiere in Sable 30 is close to the perfect colour, however the alcohol left an unattractive sheen and dried out my normal/dry skin. This shade, SX08, is *perfect*, and this review is based on usage during the cooler months (no warmer than 20 degrees celsius).

*This* is the holy grail of foundation for me. Best method of application: after cleansing, and moisturising with a combination of glycerin and coconut oil, I spritz my face with a combination of Akin rosewater and glycerin (I put in about a teaspoonful in a 100ml bottle). Take a rice grain size of this product and spread on the tips of the four fingers of each hand to warm. Then, dot sparingly around the face, with more product around the nose and blemishes on my chin, and radiating out onto the cheeks and forehead. Grab my expanded beauty blender (ie soaked in water and squeezed but not too much, you'd want this slightly damp so that you can sheer out the foundation). Apply until product has blended in to the skin, then spritz again with the rosewater spray. Within 5 minutes, skin is gorgeous, slightly illuminated but not greasy, and most importantly, does not look like makeup at all. It's like I've applied a thin layer of skin on top. Lasts all day at the office, only requiring the occasional touch up around the nose; does not break me out, or result in red patches on my skin like the aforementioned foundations, despite the several days I have not washed my face at night; fragrance/odor free; unbelievably economical, highly pigmented, the smallest amount is enough for my whole face, at the rate I'm using it (and I use it everyday) it'd take me at least a year to finish it. It truly is the perfect foundation, and I'd remove one star from each of my previous foundation reviews (except for the Colorescience pressed mineral powder, that too is my holy grail foundation, but for summer) to demonstrate how superior this product is to every foundation I've tried. It's actually quite surprising how my skin didn't break out, given the main ingredient is mineral oil and it contains talc, so oily face gals, please bear this in mind. All in all, this jar of facial goodness has earned its rightful place permanently in my makeup bag (along with the beauty blender, Christian Dior eyeshadow, and Bobbi Brown black gel eyeliner).

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 8:56:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Purchasing this again. For info, I am an NC15 leaning towards NC20 in summer but since I don't tan at all, I use the same colors year round.

I use this in SX5 for my face, and a dab of SX3 for under eyes. I apply with a blender sponge and then buff with one of the many buffer brushes in my stash. Set with either LaPraire, LaMer or Chanel powder and then spray mist. I get flawless skin which looks natural and not at all caked. Every time I use a liquid foundation, I find that I can get splotchy skin during the day, but with these amazing little pots, I can last the whole day into night with perfect looking skin.

Use this as a foundation, mix with serum, primer or illuminating products and you will really get your bang for the buck from these products. Don't worry about the cost either -- one pot will last for almost 2 years, making this an inexpensive product which really gives great service.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by AzizaJD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The Sensual Skin Enhancer is the best concealer/foundation one can purchase. THE BEST. It lasts forever. Even if you wear this everyday, it will last you for most of the year.

I first purchased it 6-7 years ago. Unfortunately, convinced by the makeup "expert" at the store, I purchased a SX 11. The lighting in the store made the product look like a perfect match. Boy was I wrong. As with most makeup, this oxidizes so the color you purchase becomes darker after application. My face looks orange after wearing it (I've had this issue with many foundations on the first run). However, I still use SX 11, which is the 2nd or 3rd darkest shade, for contouring.

I recently purchased SX 07 and SX 06 (I am an NC 20 in MAC)(my awesome wedding makeup artist informed me that I was NOT an NC 40...yeah, once again, I listened to the makeup artist at the store). The SX 07 is perfect. SX 06 I use for highlighting certain areas of the face and blending. Fact of the matter is, women of color (Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, Latina, etc.) need more than one foundation color. Our faces are naturally contoured...lighter in some areas and darker in others (and I am not talking about hyperpigmentation). The Sensual Skin Enhancer can be mixed with other foundations or one can even use two different colors to achieve perfect coverage.

The color range is limited, so one may have to blend the product to produce either a slightly darker or lighter shade. But this product blends very well with everything (from moisturizer to illuminators). It's very pigmented, so blending it with other products does not eradicate its high level of pigmentation. You can blend this with other products for a more sheer application.

In Chicago, there are two apothecary stores that sell Kevyn Aucoin makeup. Ask for samples to take home and test out to see what shades you like. I don't recommend purchasing this product on the spot, as it can oxidize and turn into a completely different color than what you thought you purchased.

23 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2013 2:11:00 AM More reviews by hye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought this off strawberrynet.com for around 50 AU which isn't the cheapest of products even at the discounted price, although having said that, for the level of pigmentation this product offers, the overall price is well worth it. i have used this a few times and have barely dented the product which suggest how long this little pot of magic is going to last me.

First off, i am the type of girl who prefers a natural, my skin but better complexion so apply this as a foundation thinned out with a damp make up sponge. If i want to use this as a concealer i use a brush to conceal under my eyes and round my nose etc. I love the natural finish this gives me. it is a semi matte, natural finish that looks very natural. If you prefer your makeup like mine then give this a shot!

The lasting power is great and after a few hours wear still looks fantastic. I am a mac nc 30 , asian skin-toned girl and bought this in SX10 which is medium with beige undertones. This suits me beautifully when used as an overall foundation. As a concealer I am going to purchase SX5 (light with beige undertones) and SX7 (light with neutral yellow undertones).

I have to admit the colour guide is very confusing. as we do not stock this in Australia I had to really jump into the deep end and guess which shades to go for. SX10 is perfect though!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 4:50:00 AM More reviews by shuppet88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an interesting, high coverage, multipurpose product. I like to mix it in with a bit of eye cream or Argan oil for use under the eyes, or for fuller coverage I go straight in with a fluffy concealer brush. I'm using it currently as a concealer for under the eyes and for marks and blemishes, and it works wonderfully. It instantly covers marks and actually stays on. For a quick but still covered face, I use this and top it off with Sephora's baked mineral powder. I get an awesome, naturally flawless look that is very fast and simple. Granted, I don't have very many problems with my skin now, so I don't really use it as a full-on foundation (I'm also just a tad bit lazy and don't feel like mixing it with anything). But when I randomly remember to do so, it looks amazing when mixed with a light serum. It's really quite heavenly, actually. This is pretty much the best concealer (and occasional foundation) that I've ever tried. It may be a bit on the pricey side, but honestly it's such a tiny pot that has lasted me for the last six months. I haven't even come close to putting a dent in it. I think I would cry and freak out if I lost it :( I don't need to look further for my concealing needs. Beats my NARS stick concealer hands down. If I'm using it as an allover foundation, I don't really like to set it because I like the slightly dewy look it gives. But if I'm using it as a full coverage under-eye concealer, I must set it with a transparent powder. For reference I'm SX 11.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No