MAC Matte - Wedge

4.5

Talc, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl SStearoyl Stearate, Isotearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Gycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, [ /- Silica, Mica, Titamium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramearines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI19140)]

I think this was in my first ten MAC eyeshadows I must've purchased years ago due to all the hype. Hated it. When I was in my teens, I didn't understand the need for matte eyeshadow (Other than stark white and black, oh my.)

I swapped it away, but now it's come back creeping into my collection in my early 20's. I must say, at first I regretted picking it up again. What was I thinking, being fooled twice into this overly hyped mess?!

However, it proved me wrong when I started blending it into my creases, a subtle warm look. I've began enjoying warmer eyeshadow looks so it works well with many of my other golds, browns, and bronzes.

I enjoy interchanging this with Kid, since Kid is being discontinued as of now. However, I do prefer the veluxe formula and it seems to last a bit longer (Not as powdery as this one!) The tone is almost identical, with Kid being only slightly warmer in my opinion.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I really love this eyeshadow. It's well pigmented and can work well in a natural look to define the crease or as a part of something more smokey and dramatic. It is quite warm toned. I can also use it as a contour colour.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I can't believe it's taken me this long to review Wedge, I wear it all the time! It's my favourite eyeshadow for 'no make up, make up days'. I use paint pot in Soft Ochre all over my lid, then Wedge in my socket, applied with a 217 brush. It gives me the depth I need, as I have deep set and hooded eyes. But with very little effort! It is the easiest eyeshadow to blend. It's the perfect neautral light brown colour. I absolutely adore Wedge. X

When I got this eyeshadow I was a little underwhelmed due to all the good reviews on Makeupalley. The day before I had gotten a NYX Nude Matte eyeshadow in Maybe Later which is very similar in color pigmentation and texture. Overall, most of the MAC shadows I have purchased I have disappointed me, and I do extended research on them. All in all, I would save my money and get the NYX one as it is $4 compared to $15.

I love Wedge! Clearly what Wedge does best is transition, but honestly I am too fair right now for that, so I use it for a very subtle crease color. When I get a little tan (around NC30) I LOVE to use it as a transition, but if you are lighter than NC25 this will probaby be a bit too dark for you -- I know from experience. I would typically recommend Kid, but MAC discontinued it. I digress, the texture of wedge is great and I don't think it is too warm (orangey) for most looks. It blends well and I would definitely recommend it. If you are looking for a transition shade, I have a "Guide to MAC Transition Colors" on my blog with pics and swatches of all that MAC has to offer, so feel free to check it out:

I'm on the fence on this one. It pulls warm on me but it is a good transition colour even though I don't feel like I need it. I bought this years ago and its the only MAC matte brown I have so meh. I picked up oreals cuppa joe and the play up wedge when I use it as a lid colour so I guess I can't complain.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

Oh Wedge, you're the only MAC eyeshadow I regret buying.
I'm never sure if it's fair to review a product that looks awful on me but would look good on someone else. Irregardless, I'm putting in my two cents.
Wedge is a matte medium tan. Yes, it looks boring in the pan, but is just one of those colors that's essential to every make up collection. Except for mine.
This is just too orange on me. Not to mention muddy. And chalky. I shudder just thinking of the look of this on my eyes. Not cute.
Sorry buddy, looks like you're going back to the store. Maybe you'll work out for someone else...

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Wedge looks so boring and plain, but it’s a very indispensable shade to me because I use it to diffuse and blend out harsh lines on my lids up to the brow bone. These types of colours for this purpose are called ‘transitional shades’, and every girl should have at least one in her collection. It’s a matte neutral undertoned brown, very similar to Urban Decay’s ‘Naked’ and I use every single day with whatever eye shadows I’m wearing because it completely eradicates harsh lines and creates a seamless look.

Wedge. Matte mid-tone brown. On the warm side.
I really like this one. Perfect for crease and beyond areas. Great for "warming up" cool looks. A very nice natural looking eyeshadow on it's own. I love to grey it up with a bit of copperplate plus ricepaper on the lid. Classy clean look.

A great, subtle color on my light tan Asian NC30 lids. As a monolid / creaseless eyed lady, this shade is that perfect natural slightly warm taupe for slight contour on the outer edges of my eyes to add depth. I already had Cork so was doubtful when the MUA suggested this shade too, but it is cooler and less brown and actually quite different. It is great to add a little drama to neutral eye looks! I will use this a lot.

Top Rated MAC Products