August 23, 2014 | 1021 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by tresdivine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I swore by my burt's bees' chapsticks, and so I thought I might add this cleanser into that list of things I swear by. But, I was dead wrong. Although the product smells yummy and refreshing, and it is all natural, my skin does not like it. I guess the product is way too oily, it leaves residue and even with more washes and toner, the oil stays. Not to mention, the product breaks me out.

Off to the donation bin with you!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by jinxiies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product on a whim. I needed a facial cleanser on vacation because I forgot to bring my own, and didn't want to buy the same product I had back home. When I first tried this cleanser, I was amazed by the smell; the cleanser has a very appetizing smelling scent.

I have acne-prone, combination skin and although I did not notice this cleanser make any significant changes to my acne, it did make my face feel very fresh and healthy. The product feels very moisturizing and natural on my face and does a good job in removing makeup, however it is a little difficult to wash off completely, in my opinion. Therefore, I only use this cleanser before stepping into the shower.

Although it might have not made any changes to my skin, I would recommend this product to anyone who wants a gentle, moisturizing, natural-feeling cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by sarahjeangirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this product. I had been using Clarin's Pure Melt Cleansing Gel, and found that I really liked using an oil-based cleanser at night to get all of my makeup off. That product is a bit pricey (I think about $30), so I when I saw the Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleanser in the store (less than $10, I think!), I figured I would give it a shot. I think that it's a decent replacement; it cleans well (gets ALL the makeup off!), it smells great, and it makes my skin feel very soft. I have read that some reviewers do not like how their faces feel after use of this cleanser; I don't have this experience, but then, I only use it at night, followed by my heavier lotions/treatments. I will most likely continue to buy this cleanser since it is very affordable and does exactly what I need it to do.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2012 10:14:00 PM More reviews by sdrayt1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this when I was on the lookout for a cream or oil based cleanser….something that wouldn’t strip my skin or irritate it. I started using a compound from my Derm (strong stuff) and I wanted a very gentle cleanser. I have sensitive skin, combination skin. I tried to use this cleanser twice about 2 months apart and got the same result…..IT BURNS! I mean as soon as I put it on, my skin starts to sting and made my face feel hot for a while after I washed it off. I’m assuming it’s the orange essence…whatever it is, it’s way too strong smelling and too strong for my sensitive skin. It smells like a commercial bathroom cleaner also. No Bueno.

I understand the concept of oil cleansing, but imagine smearing orange scented vaseline textured oil over your face. I didn’t expect it to foam, but it leaves a film behind that made me feel like my skin was dirty. This went in the trash because I couldn’t image anyone who would benefit from using it. Maybe if you have very dry skin that is not sensitive and you like oranges?

NOT purchasing again nor will I try again. I found Philosophy’s Purity Made Simple to be what I was looking for and I’ll stick with that from now on!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2012 11:32:00 PM More reviews by chookana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for a little over a week now and I don't feel like it's done much for me. I've had a small break out on my cheek and I think this could be because of the oil content of the product. It does leave a thin greasy film after using it, initially I thought this was just one of the moisturizing properties of the product but after a prolonged period of using it, it's just making me feel dirty, even when using an oil control moisturizer afterwards. The only pro I can think of when it comes to this product is the orange smell, it's AMAZING! Funnily enough it even tastes good LOL.
For me personally, I feel that natural products don't have powerful enough ingredients to clean my skin thoroughly. I had the same problem after using KORA Organics, just feeling really unclean. I won't be repurchasing this product again, and I'll be staying away from all natural/organic products in general.
I'd say this would be suited to people with really dry skin and to anyone else who is wanting to try this, I wouldn't recommend using it in the morning because your face will probably be a greasy mess by midday.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2012 11:37:00 PM More reviews by bhenderson

I happened upon this product only because the store was out of my regular.. I had little hope for it. Turns out to be amazing! ESP with removing makeup. It works best in combination with the citrus facial scrub. Smells like orange slice candy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2012 3:27:00 PM More reviews by MrsSapphire

This is such a nice cleanser! The smell is absolutely amazing, and it leaves the skin fresh and moisturized. One week of use, and all my small acne is gone. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2012 11:41:00 PM More reviews by melanneva

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this cleanser by Burt's Bees... the orange smell is wonderful and it seems to "melt" on my skin like honey. I have normal/combination skin and just wanted to give a thumbs up to this cleanser!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2012 12:49:00 AM More reviews by moosie4154

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I see a lot of people whining about so many face care products...head to the derm ($150 w/ no insurance), he/she will tell you what you really need and you will save yourself $1000s on trying new products searching for your "holy grail" face products. That way, we can all quit whining about what doesn't work and get on with our lives! That being said:

I don't think this product is awesome as a stand-alone cleanser. HOWEVER, it is an amazing makeup remover. It does leave a small film, so if you like squeaky clean (which will dry your face out at first and grease you up later...) this isn't for you. It takes some getting used to..and if you've been trying the same type of products over and over hoping for different results, this may be a nice change for you. I stuck it out and my skin has changed for the better. It removes ALL of my makeup and doesn't irritate it. I have moderate rosacea (diagnosed by a legit derm...not self diagnosed..) and follow up with physician's formula cleanser (in the red can) and it works out very nicely for my normal-combo skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2012 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Thegoodbadugly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased this in another moment of being tired of researching for natural facial cleansers that were inexpensive, easy to obtain, did not contain added fragrance, coconut-derived surfactants, and after many repeat failures using DIY recipes. Also by purchasing it from Walgreens, I could return it if I wasn't satisfied. I was hesitant to use it because of my sensitive, oily-prone, dehydrated, mature skin and previous redness (sign of irritation) from using other products with EOs and the conflicting information about using citrus oils on sensitive skin. My usual experience has been that when I try something that's manufactured and supposed to be good for sensitive skin (CB shampoo, Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild, etc.) on the first usage my face will feel taut, itch, and my lips will peel. Upon the first usage of this cleanser, I massaged it into my dry skin and rinsed with warm water, I was pleasantly surprised that none of the typical reactions occurred and my skin felt very soft. After two days of using it in that manner, I did have that gummy residue on my face. I then tried using it like a cleansing balm, wiping it off with a moistened cotton pad, etc. Finally, I found that the best way to use this is to wet my face first, gently massage/swipe the cleanser over my face, use a wet baby washcloth to wipe it off and then rinse. This can be a little messy, if you're not in the shower. I did attempt in the early days of usage to purchase the same ingredients and make my own version w/o orange oil -but oat oil has to be purchased in large quantities. I don't use it for MUR because that would mean too much rubbing and that's a no-no for my skin. I now use lanolin oil combined with EVOO as a MUR as the results of that DIY recipe attempt. I am sensitive to the smell of fragrances, but the orange essence has not created an issue for me. The only time I experienced "the heat" as described by others is when my palms are already warm from hot water and then went to apply it on dry skin. For the price, limited number of ingredients, ease of obtaining, and the results - this an HG for me. 1 tube lasts approximately 2 mos using a (garbanzo) pea-size amount. Of course, I follow cleansing with patting on 1 drop of squalane oil and then applying moisturizer. I am no longer experiencing dry skin patches or oiliness. Yahoo!