April 21, 2014 | 947 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Lipstick in Dolce Vita

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2012 8:42:00 AM More reviews by LuHu82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

So, Nars Dolce Vita, I bought this on the strength of MUA reviews, online swatches and NARS reputation. I hadn't tried it in person as my nearest counter is a 2hr round trip away and so a pain to visit.

I am fair skinned, N15-20 (I am undecided on my undertone! I am fairly neutral leaning toward cool, I think.), assisted blonde (highlights) with dark brown eyes. My lips are naturally the same colour as the tube shade of Dolce Vita, however, once on my lips DV turns much pinker. It goes much more raspberry and somehow there are sheeny, tiny glittery particles visible in it that are not visible in the tube (it appears a totally matte, rosy nude in the tube). So I can't count this as a MLBB, unfortunately. The colour is just a shade too raspberry for me, though it is a nice, muted colour for days when bright shades feel a bit much.

It is pretty moisturising and the formulation is very smooth and comfortable to wear. I prefer MAC's cremesheen or Amplified formulas for staying power.

The price in the UK is 17.50 GBP (approx $27.50 USD at time of writing), which is reasonably expensive and 4 GBP ($6.20 USD) more than a MAC lipstick retails for here.

Given that 1) this colour isn't my MLBB, 2) MAC has a wider choice of shades, 3) I prefer their formulation and rather fortuitously their prices are considerably cheaper,
I won't rebuy from NARS and will look for my MLBB from the MAC range. If we could exchange MU in the UK (we can't for hygiene reasons), this would be going back.

Even though this review isn't exactly glowing, I've given this 4/5, though really it'd be a 3.5 / 5 if we could give halves, because the quality of the product overall is good, the colour just isn't perfect for me. The places I marked it down were price, moisturisation and wear time.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Bebe1963

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like Nars Orgasm rouge, this is still the best shade of natural-looking shade around for light-skinned girls. After years in the market, it hasn't been bested yet. Still the must-have shade for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Wow! This color is gorgeous! I have stayed away because of the price point, but I was at Sephora last week and the M/A gave me a sample and I couldn't resist buying it after wearing it for a couple of days. Just like everyone else says: MLBB color. The website describes it as a "sheer dusty rose," but I was afraid this would pull orange or brown and it doesn't. Others have described it as, "rosy-nude," which I think is completely accurate. It is a sheer finish lipstick and I think that's why this color/finish flatters both cool and warm tones.

I was concerned that there was less product because of the compact packaging, but Dolce Vita contains .12 oz/ 3.4 grams, which is the same amount Bobbi Brown lipsticks contain. I actually like the smaller packaging better.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by DaniRN16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Semi-sheer beautiful rosy-nude color. I don't know what took me so long to try this but I am in LOVE! My favorite MLBB is Clarins Rose Shimmer and it runs a little pink. This is like a rosier-nude MLBB. It's moisturizing on my lips and I have really bad chapped lips but I can see myself using this without any problems. The only downside is that it will require frequent touch ups.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 2:33:00 AM More reviews by EnglishRoseAmongThorns

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This lipstick has pulled me away from Chanel lipsticks which I find at first are lovely but then become quite drying. I wanted so much for the new Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle to be my perfect MLBB shade but it turns orangey on me.

I bought Dolce Vita because I had heard so much about it and I am so glad I did! It gives the neutral, polished, rosey MLBB look that I wanted from Mademoiselle. Not only is it a better colour on my super pale, cool toned complexion (I have naturally rosey lips) it is so moisturising I find it better than most lip balms I have tried.

A winner all round for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 11:39:00 PM More reviews by froggrlily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

One of my favorites for work or other events that require conservative makeup. I really don't like the way brown-based nudes look on me and this is the perfect alternative. It's a sheer rose color that is like your lips but better. The feel is smooth and creamy and doesn't dry your lips out. It lasts a few hours, about average.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by SaraLee2

My favorite lipstick of all time. Perfectly matches the outline of my lips, which is much darker than the inside, making them look plump, perfect, and completely natural. Its sheer but pigmented and goes on moist, so that it just looks like you have a little gloss on your natural lips. On my lips its a rosy reddish pink. Because it looks so natural I can wear it with anything. Isn't the most lasting lippie I have, but it wears off evenly and the color is so great I happily reapply.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a rosy mlbb shade for me. Nars lipsticks never disappoint. I own belle de jour as well. Glides on smooth and has a nice sheen to it. This is a pretty color but I wouldn't repurchase only because it's pricey for a lipstick that looks like my lip color.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 4:19:00 PM More reviews by BlancheDevereaux

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my favorite everyday lip color. It is the perfect rosy shade with out being too pink or too brown. A perfectly balanced natural color. I really like the formula. It just looks nice and moist on my lips but it isn't glossy at all. It doesn't exasperate the dryness that my lips are prone to. I love that it is scent/ taste free! Love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by bum24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

One of the nicest shade i had seen. I'll keep buying this product as soon as i run out. The only thing with the product is it doesn't stay long you have to keep re-applying it. Overall i like the shade and the texture. One of the best lipstick shade i own.