Caron Farnesiana

3.9

on 8/28/2006 11:18:00 PM

This is a superb bitter almond-iris-violet blend, a bit sharp in the beginning, but settling into powdery softness. It's a gorgeous, sophisticated, modern gourmand blend that should please most almond fans. I also get hints of other almond creations in Farnesiana such as POTL, SL Rahat and Mazzolari's Alessandro. Other notes include lavender, sweet acacia (mimosa).

on 8/14/2006 8:45:00 PM

This review is for the parfum. The start is powdery violets (or some other flower that I’m not really digging) and black tea – the flowers are sweet, the black tea is a little bitter - they balance each other out. The dark bitterness subsides after about 1/2 hour into just a sweet powdery floral, and the sweet vanilla base lasts forever (over night). Top and middle notes are interesting but I just wouldn’t wear it, the black tea / tar thing is just too harsh. Reviews say that’s bitter almond – maybe so.

The extract is the way to go. I hated the EDP, but I am LOVING the extract. It is a gourmand with an air of sophistication. This is Gluttony wearing a Cartier watch, a Tiffany ring, and a Hermes scarf. You'd think Gluttony is only comfortable in sweatpants with elastic waistbands, but this sort of works. Farnesiana is Gluttony restrained and wearing a corset- if you can imagine such a thing! Hardcore fans of foody gourmands might feel a little uncomfortable wearing this. Note: I love the smell of this, but I knocked 1 lippy down for staying power - about 2 hours. I guess gluttony can only wear a corset for so long.

on 7/22/2006 10:54:00 PM

After much hemming and hawing I finally bought Farnesiana edp. I have extraits of many other Caron scents and they have all been extraordinary
unfortunately with this one at this time I just couldnt afford it.
I loved the edp--it is mostly baby powder on me with a drydown, as someone else said,that is Shalimar-ish .Not really gourmand on me at all but it has that certain Caron something that will always make me have this one on hand and someday the extrait too!

on 7/21/2006 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

No need to repeat what has already been said - but WAY too close to cherry cough syrup for me - and I never DID get an almond note...

Wanted to like it... thought sure I would .... didn't.

on 6/5/2006 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just bought the 20 ml bottle for 136 euros in Paris - expensive! But it is a gorgeous scent. On me, it is very, very soft and close to the skin. It is wearable in all seasons, warm weather as well. I get dry, crisp, bittersweet almonds on a soft, woody base, no florals and it isn't too powdery at all, just slightly, definitely no baby powder present with my chemistry. It does remind me of cookie dough with a hint of cardamom. It is sweet, but not overly. Farnesiana is a quiet, but chique perfume. It stays close to the skin and lastst forever, as extrait (parfum) should. My brother thinks it smells oriental, like incense, not burning incense, but like how other objects you keep in the same drawer as your incense take over that scent. It's not a gourmand IMO, with my chemistry.

on 5/2/2006 6:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Absolutely sublime. This is the stuff - ooooh yeah. The New Look perfume by Caron, created in 1947, and difficult to get hold of these days (Les Senteurs has it for £145 for 50ml), Farnesiana is a seamless blend of bergamot, cassie, mimosa, vanilla and appoponax. To me it smells like soft old-fashioned powder (the kind you get a whiff of in antique powder compacts) and delicious almond. The almond is bitter and dry - not so unlike the almond note in Kenzo Flower Le Parfum believe it or not. I think this stuff rocks, and one day I shall purchase it - when I feel I deserve it. I'm 26 - most people might consider this a dated fragrance, but I assure it isn't. It's quite a sexy skin scent, evoking for me old movie star glamour, and, in some ways, a little sadness.

on 4/22/2006 12:03:00 PM

Farnesiana parfum is the smell of Mary Cassatt's "Mother's Kiss" or her "Young Mother Sewing." Comforting, soothing, sober, and shot through with the aroma of various blues and pinks, Farnesiana seems almost melancholy at times, the bittersweet that befits the joys and sorrows of motherhood. Oftentimes cozy and warm, Farnesiana would be difficult for the noisy, jangling crowd who all smell and look alike. This fragrance is for those who appreciate the quiet and simple joys life can bring---a baby's bath, a child's laughter, a handwritten letter. Farnesiana's drydown takes a while; it's worth the wait.

on 4/13/2006 1:20:00 PM

Mmmm. Imagine elegant, Parisian ... baby powder. Like an adorable little girl from a very good address, at a patisserie. Her mother is frighteningly chic--she's in a Cacharel frock--and this is what she smells like. One lippie off because there's something just a little too sweet about the (synthetic) musk/vanilla drydown. The same flaw I remember from Tabac Blond (parfum). But I'd buy this again. For my inner "jeune fille."

Well, this one gets 2.5 lipppies from me. I bought Farnesiana unsniffed for my mother's birthday, based on the notes and the reviews here, because I was pretty sure she'd like it. Good call, because she does, and when she wears it, it leaves a heavenly sillage, smelling like marzipan, baby powder and flowers. It's delicate, soft and really "maternal", if I may say.... On me, totally different story: The opening is like hair spray mixed with bitter (and boy, I mean reaalllyyy bitter) almonds. The drydown is still bitter but with a big flowery-powdery note that kicks in, to the point that it almost makes me sick. I just cannot bear this on me. So, 2.5 lippies because it's heaven on my mother, but had I only tested this on me, I would have rated it -1 ^^

Popular Fragrances