Merle Norman Ultra Powder Foundation

4.4

Mica, Talc, Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Methicone, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Proplyparaben, Fragrance (Parfum) 101905.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Ok, so after reading all the reviews on here and finally coming to terms with the fact that liquid foundation is maybe never going to work for me, I decided to give this a whirl. I went to the MN counter and an "older dame" (as my 96 year old friend Louise would say) fixed me up with a drastically bad color match (thank God I went outside with the mirror to check in natural light). Somehow after a few more swabs I matched myself with a shade that didn't look at all like it would work for me, but totally does (Ultra Chiffon).

The formula contains talc and mica, I believe, which is why it goes on pretty differently from my trusty old (and I do mean old -- I've been wearing it off and on since high school) Lancome Dual Finish. The coverage is nearly perfect -- can be very heavy if you want it that way, but easy to sheer out by dipping a sponge in water and blotting. I use an angled Paula Dorf blush brush to apply, which works well since it doesn't pick up as much powder as a kabuki but more than the sponge that comes with it, which is fairly useless and takes up a ton of space in the compact. Oh, and the compact -- ridiculously ugly and clunky and big, hate it, but the actual product is good enough that I can overlook that. The smell doesn't really bother me for some reason -- from the reviews on here I thought it would be intolerable, and I barely notice it.

So bottom line: the color matches my skin perfectly and makes it look nearly flawless in a natural way without looking dry/cakey (though as with all powder foundations, you do need a moisturizer). I look like I'm not wearing makeup just have super even, clean, clear skin. I haven't broken out from wearing it and other than somehow achieving the dewey look that I wish I could get (but always devolves into grease) with a liquid, I don't know what more I could ask for. Old lady makeup, FTW!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

I liked the powder when I tried it in the store - it looked perfect. I even purchased the oil-free primer that was recommended. It looked good the first time I used it. No breakouts entire time. After a few uses, I noticed that it was emphasizing ALL of my dry areas.

I am returning the product because it makes my skin dry and powdery looking.

This product contains talc and fragrance.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, this product amazed me! first of all, the packaging is so cute! lol and the powder is fantastic!! It sets the balance foundation beautifully. i have already bought 2 backups haha. LOVE IT! LOVE MERLE NORMAN!

p.s. i have been trying to find a foundation & powder that works for me for YEARS. literally.

I have tried many many powder foundations, and this is the BEST!! Perfect sheer to medium coverage and very natural. I will never use liquid or cream foundations again. This makes my skin feel very healthy. I used the Guerlain teracotta bronzer for blondes over this, and it is a totally natural look.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used to work at Merle Norman (in Canada) so I'm not a bitchy SA, lol. Anyhow, I haven't worked there in 3 years but I will still call in an order and have this delivered to my house.
I might add that I work at another cosmetic retailer where I get a discount and my pick of countless other cosmetics and I choose this one.
I use a mattifying moisturizer and a primer and apply this with my Sephora mineral powder brush. This stuff makes my face look flawless yet still like real skin. My husband even mentioned how he liked that I was wearing less makeup. I don't feel like I'm wearing such a mask with this on.
You can wear this as a setting powder over top of a liquid foundation but for every day wear, I like to use this alone. I will order this as long as they continue to make it. I'm NW25 and I use Ultra Neutral. Holy Grail for me and I absolutely love the smell.
I should also mention that I don't have a lot of flaws to cover so if you're skin is relatively good and you're looking to even out your skin tone, this is your best friend.

I really like this foundation! I HATE heavy foundations, and this one seems to be what I think "powder" foundations should be - not a lot of coverage, but does a much better job at evening skin tone and keeping oilies under control than a regular face powder. I haven't had any breakouts or redness from this, but it does make my face feel "tight" if I don't do a good job moisturizing before I apply. I think it also does a fair job at setting liquid foundation, but I think it is a little too heavy for that unless you are into really full coverage. I have used the sponge that came with it to apply (yuck) as well as a fluffy powder brush (what the sales lady recommended), a flat-topped Everyday minerals brush, a flat-topped badger brush from Coastal Scents, and the Philosophy Airbrushed Supernatural brush (my current favorite). I think any good buffing brush would do the trick. I've been using since October and have made a dent, but no where near a significant dent, so I think it will last a good long time. Thumbs up!

LOVE this product! Yummy, retro goodness!
I am so glad I found out about this brand on MUA.

The only drawback is that I thought this was going to cost me under $25 when I first went to my local Merle Norman salon, but alas it is $34 here in Cali.
The chick there said all the boutiques are independently owned and set their own prices....which sucks because I didn't expect to spend so much especially since I just ordered Prestige powder foundation online as well. BUT all that said, IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!

I like the smell that everyone is complaining about, it reminds me of bubble gum, and the finish is A M A Z I N G!
I love how matte this keeps my super oily skin and how it erases my large pores!
The compact itself is pretty huge and not the classiest thing I've ever seen. I can't imaging busting it out at a nice restaurant or a club for a touch up without some grandma-makeup references from my friends.

Ultra Neutral is a perfect match to my yellow-toned NC25 skin and there were plenty of yellow warm colors to choose from (I was afraid the choices may be too pink and old-ladyish)

Love it, love it, love it! Now I want to try more M.N. products!
P.S. the sales girl at the Tustin branch was not too pushy or annoying as as I was afraid after reading the reviews on here

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

This foundation is GREAT for oily skin if you are looking for a matte finish. Coverage in natural and buildable, depending on how you apply and what coverage you want. For someone who does not like or has time to use liquid foundations this is it! It works great at concealing and leaving the skin with an overall natural, not too heavy finish.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

The only reason I wouldn't buy this again is because I have found a loose mineral foundation that I really love. I do carry this in my bag for touchups because of the heat - it gives a nice sheer coverage but isn't really for full coverage.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am so excited that I found this powder foundation. I have very oily skin and within one hour my face is normally very oily with other foundations and powders but not with this one......in fact nothing has ever controlled my oil better!!!! and the coverage is flawless which is so unbelievable because I have very crappy skin, acne scars etc....and I can touch up and it doesnt cake up even on my acne that I am trying to dry up.....I have tried everything lancome, estee lauder, clinique, make up forever and this is by far the best.....I know the packageing is kinda outdated and tacky but the inside product is so worth it and Its only $23.00 dollars which is great when I have shelled out alot more money for other products.....the smell kinda gets on my nerves but I can deal......I know i'm rambling but I cannot say enough about this....If you have oily, acne prone skin please give this a try....I love it!