November 27, 2014 | 1425 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - soak 'n' float shampoo bar

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2010 7:13:00 AM More reviews by mule84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product in an attempt to control my flaky scalp. Recently (whether due to the warm, humid weather, or because of my usual hair products) I have had an increased flakes. NOT ATTRACTIVE!!! I thought about this product, but thought that the smell might be too much for me. When I used it the first time I was horrified to find that my hair smelled like a campfire as it dried. The next morning, though, the smell was gone and so were most of my flakies. My hair was left beautifully soft and shiny, and my curls were sitting nicely. I have used it regularly since then and the smell has decreased, but its effectiveness hasn't. It really is the best thing I've ever used for dandruff. Better than any chemical/medicated shampoo that I've tried. It has also made my ends less dry.

If your hair has a lot of build up or oil, I recommend washing twice, as the shampoo won't later very well the first time. I love the fact that it's solid and I believe that it will last me an age.

I store the shampoo in an old black lush container to control the smell, but after I use it I leave it out to dry.

If you have dandruff I would highly recommend you try this product. Try to ignore the very strong smell, because the result more than makes up for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by chococatbeauty79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

......This has done wonders for getting rid of my flakes....I do use another shampoo,conditioner and intensive treatment(Doo Grow mega thick).... along with this product....as for the smell, it reminds me of Dax's tar hair grease(if you have kinky hair....your mother most likely used this on your scalp....very well known in the African-American community)....unlike other reviews before mine.....it did not smell up my house.....and I left it in my lush tin uncovered overnight, so it could dry......and, the little herbs did not get stuck in my hair... I LOVE IT.....

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2010 11:52:00 PM More reviews by devibutterfly4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty much agree with the review below me, a complete life saver for someone with seb derm.
When I opened my package the smell hit me like a punch to face, I literally gagged. I put it in a drawer under the bathroom sink to get it away. I thought someone had to be really desperate to use this, and if you have problems with seb derm you pretty much are desperate =P.
The smell wanes with time and use, which is good. This is the only product I can use when washing my hair with the warm/hot water I shower with, when using other shampoos I usually have to wash my hair over the tub with cold water or else my scalp freaks out.
This is the best stuff I've used, and coming from someone who has used pretty much everything at the drugstore and what the dermatologist prescribes, I think that says a lot. My hairline on my forehead had pretty bad scaling but it looks much better now. No, this isn't a cure, but it's pretty damn good. I like to to take a piece and scrub my scalp directly with it, esp. my hairline and center part. I make sure to follow up with a good conditioner.
Oh, I do find I have to use this more frequently than my other scalp products, like every 4 days instead of a week, but I don't mind because of the fact I can wash my hair while in the shower instead of separately in cold water.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by shandamoon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a serious scalp saver. Since I started using it last year, I haven't had any scalp irritation and hair loss was reduced.

I have greasy gross hair and chronic sebhorrheic dermatitis (adult version of cradle cap) which leaves my scalp oily, red, and with huge clumpy crusts- calling it dandruff is too polite. Sometimes it leads to inflammatory alopecia. This soothed my scalp on the first day. Second day, smaller flakes, no more red scalp. Third day, no flakes on my shirts, YES~!
It also helped with dermatitis on my hands.

After a week using it every day, I switched to once or twice a week, using either Jumpin' Juniper or else Naturelle Hemp on other days. I've had one bar last anywhere from four to six months, depending on how long my hair was and what time of year it was (used more in the summer).

Cons are:
it stiiiinks like burning garbage. The smell weakens on the bar after a few days, storing it in the garage or the basement helps. The smell weakens and smells more like pine tar. Also after regular use, the oils start separating from the solids and leave a sticky gel in the shampoo tin but it doesn't hinder effectiveness, just kinda gotta mush it together.

Putting the bar directly on my hair just coated the hair and I ended up getting hairs on the bar and plant parts caught in my hair. Ew. Instead I rub the bar on my hands and then apply, it makes getting at roots easier. And please use a strainer or hair catcher over the tub or shower or sink drain so that the leaves don't clog the pipes!

Price: Cheap enough I guess, I'm a cheapo so paying $10 for a shampoo is a lot for me, when I can buy a drugstore brand cheaper or mix a home remedy. But because I have skin problems and allergies, I can't cheap out. It's tons cheaper than prescription strength Nizoral or being on Accutane and less harsh on the skin and hair.

Packaging: It's wrapped in paper so no bottle to throw out, I just put the paper in recycling or use it as tinder in the fireplace. The shampoo tins are a little small and tend to cause moisture buildup. Leaving the tin partly open and not storing it in the bathroom help with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by vdudes

This shampoo is phenomenal! I had an itchy, dry, flaky scalp but normal to oily hair. Soak N' Float worked perfectly in giving me shiny hair and a healthy scalp. Though almost everyone who has commented hated the smell, I love it (this could be due to my love of camping). It really does smell like a campfire. To get a great shine, after shampooing with Soak N' Float I use Lush's American Cream conditioner. My hair has never looked healthier :D

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by patty88

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

It's an effective product, but the smell is strong and will stink up your bathroom real good, making it smell like some road works (men pouring tar on the road). However, the smell doesn't stay on your hair, so that's good. Love these Lush shampoo bars because they are very handy and compact.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Catttt

This smells like a campfire and is so potent that I go to the trouble of keeping it in a sealed tupperware container in a downstairs closet. I really. really dislike the smell of this, but thankfully it doesn't linger too long after use.

Neutrogena T-Gel and Redken Dandruff shampoo (which has the same ingredients as Head and Shoulders I think) were not noticeably effective for me. This may be working better and is at least not worse than them, plus it has the added novelty of being a solid shampoo. I always follow up with a conditioner though.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2010 2:15:00 AM More reviews by maverickgd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I will admit that this stuff smells absolutely foul, but it definitely works wonders for me. I've dealt with an itchy, flaky scalp for years now, and since the only liquid shampoo that actually worked (Herbal Essences No Flakin' Way) was discontinued, I had to rely on alternatives that actually made my dandruff worse! I finally caved and decided to try this stuff during my last trip to Lush, and I'm glad I did. I use this on my roots every other wash, follow up with Karma Komba all over my head, and then use R&B leave in afterwards. They neutralize the smell, and I get the effects of all three!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2010 3:48:00 PM More reviews by sodenoshirayuki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have oily hair but a dry scalp, and a few months of using this shampoo bar only made my hair oilier - no effect on my scalp flakiness whatsoever, actually it even seemed to increase the problem - I'd have dandruff again within an hour or so after showering, which isn't normal for me.
It also smells horrible - I'm glad that LUSH is being honest about the smell now, they used to try and market it as smelling like a campfire, which could possibly be pleasant, but it's really more like a road that's been recently paved in the hot sun. My boyfriend would seriously recoil when he hugged me because the smell is so strong & lingers for ages.
Honestly, if your hair is even a little oily, I wouldn't recommend this. It really doesn't rinse out well and even when you get it all out, it still makes fine hair like mine all gross, limp, and it looks like it needs washed again within like 6 hours. LUSH products tend to be hit or miss with me and this was a definite misfire.
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2010 6:26:00 PM More reviews by xxaceswildxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The smell is HORRIBLE, but at least they are honest about it. Since it works though, I will endure the smell.

I have dandruff and itchy scalp sometimes, so I don't use this a ton, but when i do, it does what it claims. I wear a lot of black tops, so having dandruff is extremely noticeable. Took 2 -3 washings but my hair is itch and dandruff free!