September 17, 2014 | 1735 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - soak 'n' float shampoo bar

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2010 11:52:00 PM More reviews by devibutterfly4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty much agree with the review below me, a complete life saver for someone with seb derm.
When I opened my package the smell hit me like a punch to face, I literally gagged. I put it in a drawer under the bathroom sink to get it away. I thought someone had to be really desperate to use this, and if you have problems with seb derm you pretty much are desperate =P.
The smell wanes with time and use, which is good. This is the only product I can use when washing my hair with the warm/hot water I shower with, when using other shampoos I usually have to wash my hair over the tub with cold water or else my scalp freaks out.
This is the best stuff I've used, and coming from someone who has used pretty much everything at the drugstore and what the dermatologist prescribes, I think that says a lot. My hairline on my forehead had pretty bad scaling but it looks much better now. No, this isn't a cure, but it's pretty damn good. I like to to take a piece and scrub my scalp directly with it, esp. my hairline and center part. I make sure to follow up with a good conditioner.
Oh, I do find I have to use this more frequently than my other scalp products, like every 4 days instead of a week, but I don't mind because of the fact I can wash my hair while in the shower instead of separately in cold water.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by shandamoon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a serious scalp saver. Since I started using it last year, I haven't had any scalp irritation and hair loss was reduced.

I have greasy gross hair and chronic sebhorrheic dermatitis (adult version of cradle cap) which leaves my scalp oily, red, and with huge clumpy crusts- calling it dandruff is too polite. Sometimes it leads to inflammatory alopecia. This soothed my scalp on the first day. Second day, smaller flakes, no more red scalp. Third day, no flakes on my shirts, YES~!
It also helped with dermatitis on my hands.

After a week using it every day, I switched to once or twice a week, using either Jumpin' Juniper or else Naturelle Hemp on other days. I've had one bar last anywhere from four to six months, depending on how long my hair was and what time of year it was (used more in the summer).

Cons are:
it stiiiinks like burning garbage. The smell weakens on the bar after a few days, storing it in the garage or the basement helps. The smell weakens and smells more like pine tar. Also after regular use, the oils start separating from the solids and leave a sticky gel in the shampoo tin but it doesn't hinder effectiveness, just kinda gotta mush it together.

Putting the bar directly on my hair just coated the hair and I ended up getting hairs on the bar and plant parts caught in my hair. Ew. Instead I rub the bar on my hands and then apply, it makes getting at roots easier. And please use a strainer or hair catcher over the tub or shower or sink drain so that the leaves don't clog the pipes!

Price: Cheap enough I guess, I'm a cheapo so paying $10 for a shampoo is a lot for me, when I can buy a drugstore brand cheaper or mix a home remedy. But because I have skin problems and allergies, I can't cheap out. It's tons cheaper than prescription strength Nizoral or being on Accutane and less harsh on the skin and hair.

Packaging: It's wrapped in paper so no bottle to throw out, I just put the paper in recycling or use it as tinder in the fireplace. The shampoo tins are a little small and tend to cause moisture buildup. Leaving the tin partly open and not storing it in the bathroom help with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by vdudes

This shampoo is phenomenal! I had an itchy, dry, flaky scalp but normal to oily hair. Soak N' Float worked perfectly in giving me shiny hair and a healthy scalp. Though almost everyone who has commented hated the smell, I love it (this could be due to my love of camping). It really does smell like a campfire. To get a great shine, after shampooing with Soak N' Float I use Lush's American Cream conditioner. My hair has never looked healthier :D

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by patty88

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

It's an effective product, but the smell is strong and will stink up your bathroom real good, making it smell like some road works (men pouring tar on the road). However, the smell doesn't stay on your hair, so that's good. Love these Lush shampoo bars because they are very handy and compact.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Catttt

This smells like a campfire and is so potent that I go to the trouble of keeping it in a sealed tupperware container in a downstairs closet. I really. really dislike the smell of this, but thankfully it doesn't linger too long after use.

Neutrogena T-Gel and Redken Dandruff shampoo (which has the same ingredients as Head and Shoulders I think) were not noticeably effective for me. This may be working better and is at least not worse than them, plus it has the added novelty of being a solid shampoo. I always follow up with a conditioner though.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2010 2:15:00 AM More reviews by maverickgd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I will admit that this stuff smells absolutely foul, but it definitely works wonders for me. I've dealt with an itchy, flaky scalp for years now, and since the only liquid shampoo that actually worked (Herbal Essences No Flakin' Way) was discontinued, I had to rely on alternatives that actually made my dandruff worse! I finally caved and decided to try this stuff during my last trip to Lush, and I'm glad I did. I use this on my roots every other wash, follow up with Karma Komba all over my head, and then use R&B leave in afterwards. They neutralize the smell, and I get the effects of all three!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2010 3:48:00 PM More reviews by sodenoshirayuki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have oily hair but a dry scalp, and a few months of using this shampoo bar only made my hair oilier - no effect on my scalp flakiness whatsoever, actually it even seemed to increase the problem - I'd have dandruff again within an hour or so after showering, which isn't normal for me.
It also smells horrible - I'm glad that LUSH is being honest about the smell now, they used to try and market it as smelling like a campfire, which could possibly be pleasant, but it's really more like a road that's been recently paved in the hot sun. My boyfriend would seriously recoil when he hugged me because the smell is so strong & lingers for ages.
Honestly, if your hair is even a little oily, I wouldn't recommend this. It really doesn't rinse out well and even when you get it all out, it still makes fine hair like mine all gross, limp, and it looks like it needs washed again within like 6 hours. LUSH products tend to be hit or miss with me and this was a definite misfire.
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2010 6:26:00 PM More reviews by xxaceswildxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The smell is HORRIBLE, but at least they are honest about it. Since it works though, I will endure the smell.

I have dandruff and itchy scalp sometimes, so I don't use this a ton, but when i do, it does what it claims. I wear a lot of black tops, so having dandruff is extremely noticeable. Took 2 -3 washings but my hair is itch and dandruff free!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2010 1:09:00 AM More reviews by hulakids

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I am writing this review on behalf of my husband, who I'm sure like other husbands, proabably think of LUSH products as he likes to call it, "girlie soap stuff". Well. soak n float certainly changed his mind! I'm not going to mince words and at least LUSH is also upfront, this product has a smell that leaves a lot to be desired. But, IT WORKS!!
My husbands dandruff was getting increasingly worse, so he keep using more of Pert dandruff or Head and Shoulders shampoo. This made the occasional "snow flurry" into an all out "BLIZZARD", I'm taking about severe white out conditions!! Ugh!!
He stumbled upon the LUSH catalog I had around the house the other day, decided to call the local LUSH and was recommended this and asked if I could pick it up. That night, he used some Hair Doctor (i had some leftover) and Soak n Float and WOW, the results were immediate! He said his scalp wasn't itchy and he wasn't getting any "snow conditions" on his black t-shirt. Three days later, he commented that it works well and hasn't seen "snow" since using this shampoo. When asked about the smell, he said he didn't mind it. The shampoo does leave a residual smell in the hair and thank goodness, isn't as strong as the bar itself, it's actually "okay".
If you're one of those who likes to smell your significant other's hair, I suggest using a conditioner. I also strongly suggest keeping this in the soap tin, as the smell will waif around the bathroom...
PROs
- evironmentally conscious - no packaging
- a little goes a long way
- EFFECTIVE against dandruff!!
-LUSH has a great return policy
CONs
-Contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (LUSH can't you find a healthier substitute?)
-Funny smell, LUSH phrases it as "barbeque charcoal", to me it sort of smells like burnt plastic

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 6:41:00 PM More reviews by JulesGrey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have seborrhoea, which causes my scalp to be sensitive, flaky and itchy. This shampoo bar smells really bad, like your clothes after sitting by a campfire, but it does take care of my itchy and flaky scalp without making it worse. The trick is to first quickly later up your scalp with a swipe or two, rinse, then lather up again again only your scalp. Really massage the thicker lather you get in the second lathering into your scalp. Apply conditioner to your lengths, wait. Wait. Wait. Rinse it all out. Apply just a little bit of fragrant leave-in conditioner and it will mask the scent nicely and make your hair behave because this can be a bit drying. One bar lasts and lasts. A treatment a week is enough, usually I do it after my weekly oiling. So, even if it is more expensive than an ordinary shampoo it lasts longer and it works. Trust me, with the awful smell I would not repurchase if I had found something that worked better.