December 27, 2014 | 1147 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2011 12:29:00 PM More reviews by jenniferleecaruana

I have the most annoying skin. Greasy with large pores (read: Italian!), yet dryer than sheet rock the second I wash it. At 32, I have aged very well - my skin is still pretty plump and I have very few deep wrinkles - but the dryness produced by most cleansers ages me 10 years. To top it off, I am prone to small, rash-like pimples on my forehead and chin, and have a generally uneven texture as a result. I have tried pretty much every single cleanser out there...department store brands, organic, home made, desperate-ebay-orders-from-japan, made for acne, made for oily, made for dry, made for sensitive, and (literally) every single option available in drug stores/Wal-Mart. I've spent as little as $3 and as much as $100. Nothing worked. Either I broke out even worse or my skin dried up so much it looked like I took a cheese grater to it. I finally, out of desperation, decided to try the antibacterial Cetaphyl bar...I figured I had nothing to lose, especially for $3. I had heard good things about triclosan on my particular kind of acne, but to be honest, I wasn't expecting it to work too well...nothing ever did, and an experiment with the liquid Cetaphyl for oily skin a few years back fried my face. Boy, was I surprised. THIS IS THE BEST!!! This bar produces a surprisingly creamy foam but leaves no residue. I find that if I use it in the hot shower, my skin does dry a bit, but if I use it at the sink, it leaves my skin supple and healthier looking than it has been since my teens. My breakouts have diminished significantly, and the tone and texture of my skin overall is 100% improved. I have been using it every night (in the morning I just swipe with a warm washcloth...i mean, let's face it, there's really no need to scrub your face the second you crawl out of bed as long as you washed it the night before...unless you sleep outside, that is) for two months with consistently amazing results. The scent may be strong for some, but I like it - very clean, though perhaps too strong for super sensitive skin types. I swear, if you have finicky skin that you can never get balanced for more than a few days at a time, try this stuff. Combined with the Equate brand versions of classic Oil of Olay and lots of water - nothing else - my skin is completely transformed. And having such a simple skin care routine is pretty great too : ) PS - I do not wear foundation of any kind (they all feel so gross), so I can't comment on whether or not this is effective at makeup removal).

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2011 7:37:00 PM More reviews by ksinson87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Out of boredom I switched up my nightly beauty regimen and began using the Clinique 3 Kit system. I broke out in cystic acne along my jawline, cheeks, and even forehead (where I typically do not break out)! about 10+ pimples in total. I returned it, and began using this bar. It's been a week and a half and my skin is turning around! *PHEW* I enjoy the clean (medicinal, almost) scent. The lather is also nice. It helps to take your time to lather it extra well in your hands so you have a lot of suds to reduce the friction between your fingertips and face. It leaves my skin feeling fresh and clean. However, I would not recommend this for people with dry skin because it may exacerbate your dryness...that's why I gave it a two for packing as it advertises it's intended for dry skin. I've been using this with a daily benzoyl peroxide treatment. I believe the two products synergize and have been effective in improving my blemishes. Will buy again!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2011 1:22:00 PM More reviews by xxedelweiss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

for me, this is an okay product. it makes your face feels clean after you wash ur face, but, i dont think it really helps with my acne prone skin :/ i still like cetaphil's gentle skin cleanser better. it cleared up my skin more than this bar does. i dont know if im going to purchase this again or not..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2011 12:33:00 AM More reviews by missn74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think that this product is so so. Personally I don't like the gel cleanser because it i feel that it doesn't clean my face enough. For acne prone skin it's good that the bar is antibacterial to rid of the bacteria left on the skin. However it is pretty gentle as it hasn't dried out my skin as most bar soaps do. It just cleanse my face it doesn't do much else.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 8:31:00 PM More reviews by honeyyummy

When I feel like my skin is out of wack, this is the first product I reach for. After using it my skin calms down and my breakouts are greatly reduced. It can be a little drying, but nothing a little moisturizer can't fix. Otherwise it makes me skin feel super clean! The only gripe I have is the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2011 9:08:00 PM More reviews by callire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I decided to get an antibacterial soap since I live in a very germ-y environment and I wanted to make sure that all the bugs were both killed and washed away at the end of the day. I don't have body acne or anything like that, so I can't comment on the soap's usefulness in that regard. Anyway, I like this soap a lot. I have dry to very dry skin and while this isn't moisturizing enough for me to skip the lotion, it doesn't seem to dry me out either. I leave as moisturized as I come in, I guess. Good soap, nice scent, will buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2011 8:11:00 AM More reviews by brooklynchick72

Dermatologist recommended this to me for body breakouts. I have been a convert ever since. Especially in summer, I would not use any soap but this. Not at all drying, but keeps me from breaking out along bra straps, etc.

Re: packaging: does it really need a plastic wrap and a box? Seems like a bit much.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2011 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Hinaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is by far the best cleanser I have ever used! I have acne-prone skin. I pretty much only break out on my cheek area, and that's probably the worst area to break out. Though I don't have bad acne, I still felt insecure at points. After trying, clinique, proactiv, Kate sommerville, neutrogena, natura bisse, kaneno Sensai, okay...you get the point. This mixed into my regimen has given the best skin I have ever had. It looks absolutely amazing. I want to help others as much as I can, cause I know how it feels. So I'll write my regimen here, it's very inexpensive, sans one product.
So first, I remove my foundation every night with Shu Uemura's cleansing beauty oil in the green tea version (which is the best makeup remover I've ever used, and keeps my skin SO clear and soft) and also the most expensive, retailing at about 130, but lasts forever. Then I get my cetaphil cleanser and wash my face with my clairasonic, after that I tone about 3 times, depending on my mood. One with a green tea bag, then lit it dry, then with my oolong tea bag, then let it dry, then with my Thayers Alchohol Free Witchazel toner with aloe vera, I let that dry, then apply my Neutrogena 3-in-1 hydrating acne treatment (works wonders for redness and bumps) then I moisturize with my Dermalife skin care formula with vitamins moisturizer (found at whole foods) and that's it. Weekly I use Kate Sommerville's exfoliate to slouch off dead skins cells. But this regimen has left my skin 'clean, clear, and undercontrol' everything is extremely affordable, minus Shu Uemura, which is very worth it, cause it'll last probably more than a year! And the Clairasonic is something everyone should have, cause it'll work wonders for your skin. :) I hope this helps someone! Let me know :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2011 1:10:00 AM More reviews by turnthisaround

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I switched to this cleanser after my dermatologist told me to do so due to a new skin routine.
I was really scared this wouldn't work/break me out because it wouldn't mesh well or wouldn't be strong enough.
I was very surprised that it works very well. Lathers up nicely, I feel it cleaning and leaves my skin smooth, without drying or anything.

Since my skin is acne prone and sensitive, I'm very weary of trying completely new products. I thought I needed something almost to the harsh side to battle any skin problems and I was proved wrong.

I do see that it takes off my makeup decently. But honestly, if you're looking for a face wash to do everything for you, you're going to be disappointed quite often. That's why they make makeup removing products. So don't expect this to be an all-in-one.

I gave it a four because obviously, it doesn't exfoliate. I think that I may use a wash cloth with the soap from now on to cover that.

I don't thank this soap for being the sole cause of my skin improving but it DOES help. With other products, this is very gentle and wouldn't irritate the skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2011 2:42:00 PM More reviews by beans2689

This is great for my sensitive skin. It never breaks me out and i've used it for years. I sometmes switch it up though and use the liquid cleanser for normal to oily skin in the summer because I'm often oily in my T-zone. The cleansing bar helps with that too, however, it sometimes becomes too dry after extended use which is why i rated it a 4 instead of 5.

p.s.- for those concerned about the price of the bar, try Basis brand gentle cleansing bar. similar results, similar product, but usually costs less =)