September 16, 2014 | 1812 users online

Pressed Powders - Laura Mercier - Pressed Setting Powder - Translucent

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2009 1:33:00 PM More reviews by beetee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This powder is magic! At my age I really have to watch that I don't accentuate my....er, ahh..."fine lines". That said, I have the same oily T-zone that I had when I was 16. What can a girl do? I've tried finishing powders in the past and none of them looked right at all. Some were too sparkly..some would cake...others lasted about 15 minutes and then made me even oiler. I was hesitant to shell out for this one but I just get sick of blotting all the time and the reviews here for this powder sold me. This is definately the HG of setting/finishing powders for me. It works best if I apply it with the included sponge. Swipe a bit and massage the sponge so the powder is evenly distributed and then press and roll it onto my face. I also use my kabuki if I'm in a rush but the sponge method really makes my pores vanish. I'll admit that for the first few minutes my skin can look a little dry-ish but it quickly takes on a glow. No shine...just a soft glow and my oily T-zone doesn't trouble me for hours. Fabulous! One more thing....I have an odd light-neutral colouring. Not quite olive, not quite yellowy and definately no pink. Foundations are hard to match, always a slight tint off and generally will turn too yellow as the day wears on. For instance I use Clair in Chanel foundations and it's a close match but not perfect . This powder, although it doesn't lighten anything, somehow makes my Teint Innocence exactly the same as my own skintone. Like I said..magic!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2009 2:58:00 AM More reviews by LolaPS

PROS:
--Finely milled
--Will work on any shade of skin color
--Excellent to set your foundation base.

CONS
--Can't think of a single thing wrong with it

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2009 2:04:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this pressed powder to control shine. The SA at Sephora suggested this product to me and said it's the best translucent powder they have to control shine. I was a bit skeptical because when I asked her, she happened to be standing at the Laura Mercier counter restocking the items. It seemed like too much of a coincidence, almost like she was too lazy to point out anything else since she was right there. But i decided to just go with it and try it out and it works pretty good. The SA told me to take the sponge that's included, take some powder on the sponge and work the powder into the sponge with both hands, almost like when you are taking out deodorant stains on a piece of clothing and rub the fabric together. Then she said instead of wiping the face, roll the sponge onto the skin and that prevents a white cast. She was right, it leaves a slight sheen at first but even that disappears after a few minutes and you're left with perfectly clean looking, matte skin. I have the oiliest skin in the world and after 3-4 hours, my skin looks dewy, not oily like it usually does.
UPDATE: I will not be repurchasing though because the price is ridiculous for a translucent powder. It's good but it didn't blow me away enough to make me want to spend $30. I think LM products are overrated.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2009 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Jaysta1985

This was another Laura Mercier product I purchased about a month ago. I use it to set my foundation .. it is an ok product but it didn't WOW me so I doubt I will be repurchasing this again. In fact the overall Laura Mercier experience has left me a lil disappointed with the brand. I have never disliked a particular brand before and I have to say Laura Mercier is coming quite close to it.

It doesn't last long and I have to reapply on my T-zone every couple of hours .. the color itself isn't very translucent, in fact I found it made my face rather grey...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2009 4:28:00 AM More reviews by meruhasaea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this plus a grip load of samples from a salesgirl that was dating my boyfriends best friend. I love it, and used every last bit of it. It kept my makeup on! But there's a subtle white sheen after pressing/buffing it on. I still love it and am considering buying the actual package.

Edit* I noticed a white cast from the powder. Did they change the formula? Or did I get a crappy one. I'll just keep it in my box as a back up.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2009 4:57:00 AM More reviews by angelbemine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The SA keeps on telling me that it can be used on fair-dark skin even though it looks pastel white on the pan. I've also read online that it can, but alas! It has a chalky cast to it. It also has very little amount of product for that kind of price. But the packaging is lovely, very classy. I just swoon when I hold it in my hand. But that's about it...it will collect dust in my cabinet. Btw, dunno why but somehow it enhances my pores! I thought this would be like Lancome's NO COLOR pressed before. I was disappointed.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2009 1:17:00 AM More reviews by lillykinloo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this compact for about 6 months now, and I've decided that I don't really like it. Maybe my skin has received some sun exposure or something, but this powder really does look "white" on my skin. I have to reapply very often (about every 30 min) if I want to maintain a matte finish, and this seems a bit excessive. I do like the size of the compact - it is small and fits nicely in my purse. Unfortunately, it's coming out of my pocketbook for the foreseeable future.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2009 1:56:00 AM More reviews by allThingsGirl

This product is just "okay". It does seem to cast a white veil over my skin, in a bad way. I'm NC40. It is finely milled and seems to come off on my brush really easily that I feel like I'm wasting it. I can't use the puff or it really casts whiteness over me. It was nice to try and I'll probably use mine all up, but I won't be repurchasing this.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2009 9:43:00 AM More reviews by peachesandcream76

I've tried this product because I wanted an alternate for my MAC blot. This product is a good setting powder. My foundation and concealer stayed on my face for hours. But the thing about this, it is not a good oil blotter. I find myself constantly reapplying this powder every 2 hrs. People with dry skin might like this one.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2009 3:39:00 AM More reviews by FluffyStarr

I bought his powder when I ran out of my Makeup Forever loose powder while vacationing in Las Vegas. Sephora didn't have my shade. So I was recommended this LM one. Now, I took a look at it, and it was WHITE. I looked at him like he was out of his mind. I am clearly a medium olive skin tone. Very visibly golden brown. He said that he sells it to all skin tones. Even African American. So I thought okay.......... So I bought it. Anyways, it made my face look white under certain lights. Note the name is "Translucent" not transparent. At least they didn't lie. (Sort of.) But by the time I saw how powdery white I looked in a different light, I was back home in Vancouver going "grrrrrr....." DO NOT BELIEVE IT IS MADE FOR ALL SKIN TONES. IT'S NOT. Shame on LM for toting it as such! Will not repurchase, obviously. :(