MAC Satin Lipstick - MAC Red

4.4

on 5/31/2012 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

When my favorite red lipstick, Mary Kay Red Salsa was dc'd a few years ago and now it's going for crazy prices on e-bay (for old lipstick), I gave up and had to try a bunch before finally finding Mac Red. I love the color! It's a true blue vibrant red. It could last a little longer, but I think that's the trade off for a moisturizing lipstick versus a staining, drying formula. I use it whenever it feels like it's worn off during the day. It doesn't dry my lips out at all. I'll keep buying this because I know it's always fresh when I get it and the price isn't bad. Love this lipstick!

on 5/30/2012 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Beautiful! I consider MAC Red to be the most perfect, classic red lipstick one can have in her collection.

on 5/30/2012 5:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I am fond of red lipsticks and this is definitely my new favorite! I've just purchased it a few days ago and it is one of my first mac lippies (my first was girl about town which is excellent too) & I am inlove with it. I now call it my 'happy' lipstick coz whenever I feel unpretty or gloomy i just put it on and voila! I am turned into the prettiest, sexiest and most sophisticated lady in the world :p but kidding aside, this is a very pretty lipstick, very pigminted, only a little dab and it looks amazing or u could build up the color for a more dramatic look ;) I love the texture and for me I find it moisturising and I am glad with the fact that i can wear it without anything else on and still look fabulous :) the staying power is excellent too and it wears off quite nicely as it leaves a pretty natural looking reddish tint. Excellent value for money. Highly recommended! ^_^

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Oh M.A.C!

I love you I really do. You give me options with and without shimmer, your "Red" shade is my personal holy grail. You are somewhat reasonably priced, and your products are consistently pigmented enough for me to trust you on and off camera.

Here's the rub. You consistently break out my clients. Lipstick and liners are the worst. At first I thought it was me, not you. Had I somehow gotten sloppy with my hygiene? Not a chance. Old products? Nope.

My Ben Nye, Mehron, and Kryolan don't break clients out. MUFE doesn't break my clients out. Cinema Secrets has never so much as given me a single blackhead, no matter how many times I came home from the club and passed out in it.

WTF M.A.C.?!

I took you home! I let my parents meet you! I sometimes think you like my friends better than you like me. I thought we had a future together, M.A.C!

How could you betray me like this?

on 4/13/2012 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I'd been on the hunt for a while and tried all of the HG red's that people swear by, Russian Red, Ruby Woo, etc. Unfortunately, I found them too matte or too orangey, making me look like a clown. Finally, I decided to try MAC Viva Glam I. I liked it, but it still wasn't giving me that pop of bright red that I was craving. After viewing a blog post where the girl who was featured had just the color I was searching for, I decided to try MAC M.A.C. Red. It is fabulous! Definitely not for the faint of heart, but certainly makes a statement.

on 2/14/2012 3:10:00 PM

I just B2M'd for this and I'm in love with it. Perfect blue-based red. Lovely texture, doesn't feel at all drying on my lips, and is fairly long lasting. I'd recommend everyone to use MAC's Cherry lipliner with it, it matches perfectly.

on 1/30/2012 12:28:00 PM

Me: NC15, blue eyes, brown hair

I'm not a big fan of most blue-based reds, as I find they tend to look very 1990's, and slightly less bold and poppy than coral-based ones. However, MAC Red seems to be one of the exceptions to this rule. On the recommendation of a MAC makeup artist, I purchased this red. It is an absolutely perfect, bold, bright color. Wear a lip liner underneath (I use MAC's Redd), shading in all of your lip just in case this wears off. That being said, I find this red to be quite long wearing. Though it does smudge easily (make sure to keep concealer in your bag in case you need any touch ups), the pigmentation isn't lost with wear. I find that, even after rubbing my lips for a minute with a sopping wet washcloth, a very small bit of the red pigment remains on my lips. This lipstick made it through drinks, kisses, and three hours in a mosh pit without losing its general pigment.

Unfortunately, the lipstick is slightly drying, especially when used in conjunction with a lip shaded in with lip liner. Its smudge-factor is irritating, making a lip brush and concealer two necessary accessories for application. It also rubs off quite easily, and due to its pigmented nature, is not that easy to remove from unwanted areas of the face.

Bottom line: Brilliant colour and longevity, in a shade that is especially stunning on very dark and very light skin tones. Be careful when applying the lipstick, and ensure your lips are very well moisturized beforehand and afterwards.

on 1/26/2012 7:11:00 PM

This is a gorgeous blue-toned red satin lipstick. I'm an NC 30 with MAC and this looks amazing on me. I love using MAC's Cherry lip liner with it to make it last longer.

on 1/9/2012 6:27:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

*** UPDATE****

Traded for Ruby woo which is more of a matt, I liked MAC RED but it was too glossy nad messy.

I just bought this a few weeks ago and agin I LOVE IT! I have big lips and fair skin so it looks great on me! i was never one to wear bright colors but I tried this on and I fell inlove. this is defintly a lipstick you can wear day or night.

on 1/4/2012 11:01:00 AM

when I bought this I wasn't really sure about it. It has a satin finish and bluish undertones making it perfect for tanned skin (when I bought it) however when I removed the tanning bronzer and tried it again at home it really didn't go well with my pale NW15 face. even more so when I compared it to my other reds from MAC and make up forever that had a matte finish.

needless to say I thought I just wasted good money on something I'd never use... UNTIL a friend got me some black lipstick as a gift. now by doing black on the outer corners and MAC redd on the middle I turn heads no matter where I go!

I also noticed it gives my orange (yes I have orange lipsticks!) a sexy touch when applied over them. it's turned into my fav. multitasking lippy! would totally re-purchase this one!

Popular Lipsticks