April 19, 2014 | 1565 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Satin Lipstick - MAC Red

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by nukacola

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just B2M'd for this and I'm in love with it. Perfect blue-based red. Lovely texture, doesn't feel at all drying on my lips, and is fairly long lasting. I'd recommend everyone to use MAC's Cherry lipliner with it, it matches perfectly.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 12:28:00 PM More reviews by rebonjour

Me: NC15, blue eyes, brown hair

I'm not a big fan of most blue-based reds, as I find they tend to look very 1990's, and slightly less bold and poppy than coral-based ones. However, MAC Red seems to be one of the exceptions to this rule. On the recommendation of a MAC makeup artist, I purchased this red. It is an absolutely perfect, bold, bright color. Wear a lip liner underneath (I use MAC's Redd), shading in all of your lip just in case this wears off. That being said, I find this red to be quite long wearing. Though it does smudge easily (make sure to keep concealer in your bag in case you need any touch ups), the pigmentation isn't lost with wear. I find that, even after rubbing my lips for a minute with a sopping wet washcloth, a very small bit of the red pigment remains on my lips. This lipstick made it through drinks, kisses, and three hours in a mosh pit without losing its general pigment.

Unfortunately, the lipstick is slightly drying, especially when used in conjunction with a lip shaded in with lip liner. Its smudge-factor is irritating, making a lip brush and concealer two necessary accessories for application. It also rubs off quite easily, and due to its pigmented nature, is not that easy to remove from unwanted areas of the face.

Bottom line: Brilliant colour and longevity, in a shade that is especially stunning on very dark and very light skin tones. Be careful when applying the lipstick, and ensure your lips are very well moisturized beforehand and afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2012 7:11:00 PM More reviews by m177flores

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a gorgeous blue-toned red satin lipstick. I'm an NC 30 with MAC and this looks amazing on me. I love using MAC's Cherry lip liner with it to make it last longer.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2012 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Rocky22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

*** UPDATE****

Traded for Ruby woo which is more of a matt, I liked MAC RED but it was too glossy nad messy.

I just bought this a few weeks ago and agin I LOVE IT! I have big lips and fair skin so it looks great on me! i was never one to wear bright colors but I tried this on and I fell inlove. this is defintly a lipstick you can wear day or night.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 11:01:00 AM More reviews by Kidlike

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

when I bought this I wasn't really sure about it. It has a satin finish and bluish undertones making it perfect for tanned skin (when I bought it) however when I removed the tanning bronzer and tried it again at home it really didn't go well with my pale NW15 face. even more so when I compared it to my other reds from MAC and make up forever that had a matte finish.

needless to say I thought I just wasted good money on something I'd never use... UNTIL a friend got me some black lipstick as a gift. now by doing black on the outer corners and MAC redd on the middle I turn heads no matter where I go!

I also noticed it gives my orange (yes I have orange lipsticks!) a sexy touch when applied over them. it's turned into my fav. multitasking lippy! would totally re-purchase this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2011 3:25:00 PM More reviews by dzehnie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I walked into house of fraser with no intention of buyin makeup but I somehow magically found myself at the mac counter *hides face* I'm tryin on diff lipsticks and the mA suggested I tried this one on. I appled it, she put some powder on my face and 2 ladies looking around saw my face and bought it. That's how fabulous this lipstick looks on me. I wasn't even wearing any makeup except for the powder the MA applied and it still looked great on my skin. I love the finish (I'm a huge fan of the satin formula). It's quite dryin though but it didn't fade or settle into my lip lines. It's quite expensive at 13.50 but would definitely repurchase. I'm nc45 for ref

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 4:56:00 AM More reviews by gle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this red! MAC Red has blueish undertones which work perfectly with my skin, seeing as I have golden ones. It has a beautiful matte finish that leaves you looking very "old Hollywood". This does NOT have an orangy undertone and is NOT AT ALL sheer. You do not have to at all add more then you usually do.
This leaves such a classy, elegant look, right when I tried it on, my friend next to me was in awe. I wear it with MAC cherry lip liner, it seems to be the best fit. If you're looking into buying this, definitely go try it on and consult with the s/a. If you like/love it like i did, buy it, if you're iffy than don't. Trust me, when you find the right red, you'll know it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by sprinkle9

I have been looking for a lipstick that was the perfect shade of red and I found it! When you think of a great red lipstick you would never think of this color. It is a different take on the classic red lip color but still beautiful and classy. MAC's MAC red lipstick has a pinkish red color to it that goes great with my skin tone.This lipstick goes on smoothly and it is very moisturizing. It is creamy and has a little bit of shine to it and it does not run. You can defenitely wear this color in the daytime and at night. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2011 1:11:00 PM More reviews by localholyp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the first red lipstick I ever bought. I must say, at first I was a little put off because it showed up a bit pinkish. But i waited a couple weeks and tried it again, and now i love it! It could just be my skin tone that made it show up pinkish, but i actually think it's supposed to be like that. But it's only noticeable up close. further back it looks like a vibrant beautiful pin up-girl style red! And I think the right lip liner can bring out the red. I'm so glad I gave it another chance! NOTE: the above pictures do the color no justice. it's so much brighter in real life!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 1:18:00 PM More reviews by alexa94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

WOW!! Now this is BOLD!! It almost looked '3D' on your lips... God knows where I got that from haha, but it is extremely pigmented. I don't find this lipstick drying at all for some reason, I think this may be one of the less drying satins. I definitely think this is one of the less drying BOLD red lipsticks out there! I have Lady Bug which I do love, but compared to MAC Red - no comparison in colour! MAC Red is the ultimate red for me. Definitely reminds me of Marilyn Monroe or that actress who always has pale skin and red lips (I forgot her name, argh! :() but this is an absolutely beautiful lipstick. I'd definitely recommend if you're wanting the perfect true red, this lippy doesn't make your lips all dry like Russian Red and Ruby Woo do.