Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.9

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

on 3/17/2015 12:05:00 PM

Okay, this is called a tattoo foundation for a reason. It is very thick and opaque, it will cover anything on your face. That said, it was so thick I couldn't blend it well. I don't have much to cover other than a few blemishes and old acne marks, so I'm not sure why I even bought it! But I gave it a try and found it's too heavy for me in the Winter, I can't imagine what it would be like in the Summer! So, onto something else....

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

My HG since ive tried it out on a trip to vegas. Light 44 is my perfect match its full coverage. Stays put doesnt look cakey. Love.

on 3/16/2015 11:08:00 PM

I picked this product up whilst I was visiting Sydney (we don't have Sephora in Melbourne yet). I tested it on my hand in the store and found a shade that matched well. I was amazed by just how many shade options there were, it was really great as I usually struggle finding a shade to suit my skin.

It applies quite thick and I noticed it dries fast too, so you have to work quickly! I love the staying power and full coverage of this foundation. I work 15 hour days and it doesn't wear off at all. I had to touch up once throughout the day with a bit of powder as my nose got a little bit shiny, but I have oily skin so I'm used to this and to only have to do this once a day is amazing for me!

Like I said, the coverage is great (definitely full coverage). When I purchased this, the lady mentioned that it will completely cover tattoos. I'm heavily tattooed and while I have no interest in covering them, I did give it a try to see. It does NOT cover tattoos at all! So if the SA suggests this as a selling point for you, it's not the case. After a bit of research I found out there's a few products from the range needed to cover tattoos. As I said though, I didn't buy it to cover my body art so I'm really pleased with this product. The packaging is super cute too and I much prefer plastic to glass as I travel a lot so it doesn't add too much weight!

Will definitely be repurchasing this one!

on 3/11/2015 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I've wanted to try this foundation for a long time, and when I went to the US last fall I got my hands on it (I live in Sweden and Kat Von D does not ship to my country). I have an oily t-zone and hyper pigmentation and like my foundation to be full coverage (or at least medium to full). This foundation is thick and creamy and a little goes a long way. The range of shades is good, I have very fair skin and found a match (which rarely is the case). It smells a little like paint. It has quite good staying power, but I have to blot maybe two times in one day. When applied sloppy it can crease under the eyes and in wrinkles on forehead etc. Overall a good foundation for oily girls, but not perfect.

on 3/3/2015 10:32:00 PM

This is the HG of foundations! Very nice full coverage, and one pump covers my entire face. I have had a hard time finding a foundation that covered my freckles in a way that still looked good, and this foundation does just that! It lasts all day,and never oxidizes on my skin. Ver happy with this purchase. The packaging is super cute too, with black little roses on the sides! Love it! I highly recommend!

I found this product too thick and heavy for me. I have been using it for areas of my face that are red and need concealing but not all over

on 2/27/2015 9:19:00 PM

I think I have finally found my favorite full coverage foundation. I am NC20 in MAC, and came up as 1R05 with Sephora's Color IQ, so I got Kat Von D foundation in Light 48.

Packaging:
Very cute plastic bottle with a PUMP! There is a plastic piece that goes over the opening from which the foundation comes - I choose to recap, rather than throw away that piece - to prevent drying and keep the foundation hygienic. The 1 fl oz (30ml) bottle is $34.

Application:
It is a rather thick foundation and can be applied with either a brush, your fingers, or a beauty blender. I have vitiligo (white patches) around my mouth and eyes, and a lot of redness on my cheeks. One pump is all I need to completely cover all my issues. I sometimes use another half pump to conceal pimples and dark veins around my eyes. I do not need any additional concealer with this product. I do not find this product too cakey or heavy on the skin.

Tips for application:
This one tends to dry very quick, so work in sections - apply on one cheek and blend out, then the other cheek and blend, and so on. It blends fairly easily, regardless of whether you dab, stipple, or buff. It does not look streaky at all. Some people suggest mixing it with the moisturizer to "thin/sheer" it out.

Longevity:
I have combination skin, with very oily nose and center of the forehead. Most of the foundations that I use give me about 3 hours of oil-free wear before I have to blot the oil off. With this one, I get about 5 hours without a primer, and longer with primer underneath. The longer it is on your skin, the more it "melts" into your skin (not OFF!).

Comparison:
I use Estee Lauder DoubleWear, MAC Studio Fix, Rimmel Stay Matte, Maybelline Fit Me Matte+Poreless, and Revlon Colorstay. And ALL of them look patchy and settle into fine lines around my eyes, chin, and forehead. Kat Von D foundation DOES NOT do that.

Although it is a very full coverage foundation, it does not feel heavy or uncomfortable on the skin. I am looking forward to seeing how it performs in the warmer months.

on 2/26/2015 1:14:00 PM

I really liked this foundation however, there are a few things I did not like

Cons
Really thick
Made my t-zone greasy after four hours
A little hard to blend

Pros
Flawless finish
Covers Dark Circles and blemishes

I am still figuring ways to apply this. I have with a beauty blender which is my fav so far. Not so good with F80 Sigma brush. I wear a NC25 in Mac and Purchase the Light Medium 52 and it was a dead on match.

on 2/25/2015 9:11:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted to love this foundation and initially did when the mua @ sephora first applied it to me. After purchasing though, when I applied at home I realized this foundation makes my pores 100x more visible. I've never had a foundation do that before😞 it really sucks because the coverage was good, and seemed to stay on my face with that 'just applied', which is hard for me to achieve. I remember reading someone else's review on here who said it made her pores look bigger, and thought that was weird bc I've never heard someone saying that.. unfortunately, have to agree with her👎

on 2/23/2015 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have combination skin so finding a good foundation with good coverage is really hard but this is my absolute favorite! The price is great and a little goes a long way!

Video Reviews & Tutorials