Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.8

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a matte foundation and I believe it controls my oils quite well. Some people say it will oxidize, but it comes with a cap that can help prevent it from becoming darker. Also, all you really need is one pump to cover your whole face. It's very full coverage, but it doesn't look cakey on my skin at all. Also, the packaging is great because it's fancy and very durable. I've dropped it a few times and it hasn't broken haha.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really like this foundation, on me I feel like it oxidizes slightly, but it's really no big deal. There is no foundation on the planet that can possibly keep me matte for an entire day, but this seems to do the trick for about five hours. Four hours in and I usually start blotting. My other go to foundations are Estee Lauder Double Wear and MUFE Mat Velvet. I would say this has the most staying power, but not as thick as Estee. It can get heavy, and I find application is best done with a damp beauty blender sponge. I've also had success with the brush, but you really need to buff it out quickly because it dries fast. I wear light 48 and it's a perfect match for me. The pigment is this is truly unreal - I have some acne scarring and discoloration on my chin from hormonal acne in my late twenties and this covers it up completely without a drop of concealer. In fact, when I wear this foundation I don't use concealer anywhere except under my eyes. It's a great option but only for those who want serious pigment.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my favorite high end full coverage foundation! The sales lady at Sephora tried to steer me in another direction but I stood my ground and got a sample and instantly wanted to buy the foundation! This foundation has a smell, smell of paint but once it is on my face it doesn't effect me at all. It blends extremely well for a full coverage foundation and I don't even need concealer for minor blemishes. Now, you can definitely tell I have makeup on but that doesn't bother me. Just putting that out there for my girls who don't like that look. I don't really have acne or skin issues but this makes my skin look flawless. Also, I don't find that it makes my skin look flat or cakey at all.

lets start with my skin type. I have an oily T zone with some dry areas plus I also have some hormonal acne. I also have some hyper pigmentation so its all kinds of a mess that I am currently treating. I have spent years! years! looking for a HG foundation. It took me some time to convince myself to try this foundation because it is full coverage and I just didn't want to deal with break outs. Eventually I caved and omg I can't live without this product. I am already on my 5th bottle and as long as she continues to make this foundation I will continue to use it.
It is a full coverage foundation which I am ok with I have a lot of imperfections and this glides on nicely. Some say it may be too thick but trust me a little goes a long way and the coverage is build able. I find that some times when my skin is a little try especially in the winter I need to mix a little of my moisturizer into it and that works well and gives me a natural glow.
My skin has never reacted badly to it which I love because I tend to have sensitive skin. So all in all I am in love.

I have extreme combination skin, and I wanted to try some foundations for oily skin. I had never tried this one, so I got a sample in Light 46. The color was a decent match, though slightly light. That's about the nicest thing I can say. Every really bad foundation I try, I think, now THIS is the worst foundation I've ever used. This one is definitely among the worst I've ever tried. It is extremely thick, and difficult to apply. It applies very streaky, clings to dry patches, looks like total cake face, doesn't blur imperfections or fill pores. It's just totally hideous and unflattering. I It makes my nose look like it's covered in silly putty. And as if it couldn't get any worse, even after applying a coat of loose powder (not too heavy, since this was already so cakey), my nose was oily within an hour.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Ive tried the MAC sculpt and shade powders ( shadester, shadowy and definitive) but i wana check out more hi end contour products. The KVD turned out a bit more recommendable for lighter / fairer skinned people. I am an nc40 guy and i reckon i need that warmth . The KVD contour is a good neutral / cool shading palette with finely milled quality. It's so buttery soft but there's still that messy fall out when you swish your make up brush onto it. I wish KVD would release something for medium tan to dark skinned people. I am sure people will go cray if that happens! I think the highlight shades are also good. It lends a really illuminating effect without the unnecessary iridiscence that makes an olive-person look sallowy , gray and ghastly ( tan skinned people you know what i mean!) as for the contour, i warm my contour areas with the warmest contour ( the last shade ) and after warming up, i go back to it with shading the cooler gray taupey contour. It's really nice especially if i use a lighter toned foundation like my nars sheer glow stromboli. When i use a bit darker foundation like nc42 from mac or estee lauder dw cashew , it doesnt look as nicer.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Foundation oh foundation I am forever on the hunt for the perfect one. This one is in my top 5. Pros matches my skin tone very well I am nw15/20 in Mac. It seems to last all day I use shades 44 and 46 You only need a small amount to cover so it is a good value. Now the cons it never seems to dry down which is ok in winter actually but feels odd some days. Plastic container blah I think no expensive foundation should come in plastic container. No spf now this is both good and bad. It is good for night bc who wants extra chemicals at night but for day we do want it. Give it a try it is a very good foundation overall.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I love this foundation! You have to work quickly with it though because as others have said in previous comments it does tend to get tacky. I usually just do my face in sections and use a smaller dense foundation buffer brush. I have mixed it with my BECCA foundation to match my skin color better but on its own its great! Make sure to set it with a powder though! I use Mac or ELF setting powder and it works wonders. (The ELF setting powder is only $6!) Price wise is pretty good granted I used a $15 off coupon from Sephora. If you're wanting to try it get a sample of two colors and play around with them. If you feel its too thick for you try mixing it with a liquid foundation or some tinted moisturizer.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Been using this about a month now, and today I cried in it so I think that is as comprehensive as I'm going to get.

Pros:
- COVERAGE. This is heavy duty makeup, comparable to Dermablend -- i.e. the burn victim concealer.
- Beautiful smooth finish, especially under my eyes, (when I set it with mineral powder.)
- You can layer it if you need to (although it's nearly opaque out of the bottle) and it won't look thick.
- You only need the tiniest amount, economical.
- Lightest shade is practically ghostly, lots of choices if you're pale.

Cons:
- Dries to a tacky finish, so you must set it with powder.
- Expensive.
- Somewhat difficult to apply because it sets pretty quick (to that tacky finish) so it can be hard to blend out if you work slowly.
- If you don't apply this properly (using thin layers and setting it immediately) it looks like amateur hour. It looks thick, starts to crease, and will crumble.
- Creases around my oily chin.
- NOT WATERPROOF in the slightest (no tears, stay away from rain.)

This is going to be an oddball review because I didn't get this to use as foundation but as concealer, particularly under eye concealer. My mineral powder foundation already gives me pretty full coverage but doesn't do it for my dark circles. I've been using Dermablend Smooth Indulgence and have been pretty happy with it except that it's very expensive (.0165 an ounce per $1USD) and it sometimes doesn't mesh well with my mineral powder (which I think is very drying and can sometimes cause liquid/cream products to speckle.)

When I tested this in store I was impressed right away. It is OPAQUE. So many times I hear a foundation is full coverage only to find that it is not, but they're not kidding around with this stuff. When I applied it today I felt like it gave slightly better coverage than my Dermablend Smooth Indulgence concealer. Maybe even as good as the Dermablend Cover Creme, but far less thick. The overall finish is nicer than my Dermablend too, very smooth and not at all crepey.

I have worn it all day and even power walked with the dog in it and it still looks nearly perfect around my eyes. I would say that it creases less than the Dermablend and that's pretty amazing because the Dermablend hardly cracked at all. I mean, speaking as a human being and not an android, I have the normal amount of under eye wrinkles so I always expect a little creasing there. This has hardly moved and I can barely tell where it has.

I also put it a bit around my mouth because my skin is the most sensitive there and I wanted to see if I'd react. So far so good, but I definitely see some wear there. My chin is much oilier than the dry-as-the-desert rest of my skin. I'm also a messy eater (sue me) so I'm sure I had food on there at some point. I do see little creases here and there and I will say that touching this stuff up with a sponge sucks. It doesn't like to move from where you first put it. If you attempt to rub it to spread it out, it just gives you the finger.

That brings me to application. This is a little tricky to apply smoothly. What I usually do with my Dermablend is apply it in a streak where I need the most concealing (that trough that follows my eye socket) and let it dry for a minute or two before blending the edges out. This stuff dries much quicker than that and once it reaches the tacky stage it resists blending. It can be done, it's just a bit of a pain in the ass because it sticks to everything. I applied it with both a brush and my finger and I think I got better results with my finger. Maybe the heat from my finger helped it stay liquid a bit longer or it just helped sheer the product out more efficiently. I applied two coats, which I'm not sure I needed, but I am very happy with the results. With powder my under eye area practically glowed this morning, and, yes, that is the effect I am looking for (reverse raccoon, party of one.)

This is a long-ass review already but I am serious about my concealers, so I will tell you one other thing I noticed. I tried setting one of my eyes with lyric from the Shade + Light contour palette because I thought KVD's products might work best together, but the result was a little patchy.

So in CONCLUSION (whew) this is a really amazing full coverage foundation that works amazing as an under eye concealer. It is god-tier for that. I probably wouldn't want it all over my face because it didn't wear as well around my mouth and it's hard to touch up. I'm going to tentatively say that, based on my results, if you have dry or normal skin this is a dream full coverage foundation. DREAM. Oily skin might have more issues with creasing.

Update: After using this for about a month I discovered it was not waterproof at all. It's water resistant, maybe. Not really. I cried while wearing it and it broke down pretty badly. It got flaky under the eyes and made me look like the Crypt Keeper. I ended up using more water to smooth it out but that sheered out the product a lot and dried it out. You might not want to use this foundation for special events like funerals, hostage situations, or during shark week.

I got this from Sephora as a sample, I couldn't get it to work using a beauty blender,fingers or brush.. it just didn't suit my skin and it really looked like makeup. I don't really want to use concealer for work so I apply my foundations around my eye area and this caused any under eye lines to stand out. It also felt like make up, I wouldn't forget I was wearing it. I didn't even use up the sample I got.

Video Reviews & Tutorials