August 21, 2014 | 1306 users online

Liquid - Kat Von D - Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2014 8:20:00 PM More reviews by Lavendork

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

After trying some of the brand's other products and being wowed, I was surprised that I did not LOVE this foundation. I had to sleep over at a friend's place recently and didn't have my makeup bag with me, so she let me borrow some of her makeup. We're not too different in shade (although I am a bit paler than her), so it wasn't a problem. But HO-LY CRAP, is it thick. I understand wanting full coverage (Believe me, I'm a big fan), but it almost doesn't feel like makeup- it's so thick, you basically have to cover your whole face with it, and it simply does not like to blend. On top of that, it's prone to settling into lines, creases, pores, even itself, so after 2 or 3 hours, you're likely to look cakey and tired. If you have sensitive skin (like I do) or dry areas on your face, this is simply not the right foundation to suit your skin. It's pretty expensive, too. I have heard many people go over the moon for this stuff, but I just wasn't impressed. It's a shame- they have some awesome shades.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 4:21:00 AM More reviews by Kalahlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation , it kinda reminds me of a thicker version of "Mac Studio Fix Fluid foundation" which is also one of my favorite foundations .
this foundation is FULL coverage however it can be worn in a medium coverage and a light coverage by using less or mixing it with a favorite moisturizer .
it glides on smooth, this foundation does set within 1-2mins so blend blend blend . if you have dry skin i recommend moisturizing real good before using this foundation

( Shade recommendations )

if you are a Mac NC44- NC42 then M62 in kat von D should be your shade .

If you are a Mac NC40 - NC35 then id recommend you to use M57, or M56 .
(( I am a NC40-NC35 And i use M57 in kat von D . ))
here is a picture of a Shade comparison of NC40 in mac Vs Kat Von D in M57

----> http://oi57.tinypic.com/f41vmb.jpg

( the picture is also uploaded in the pictures for this product but the link up above is just a close up view )

if you are lighter then a NC40-NC35 in mac but is still in the NC30s ( medium ) Complexion here are some lighter shades that may fit your complexion M54 , M53 Or M52 .

For all the ladies saying this foundation is too thick or is cakey its because you use too much , the most you need is 1 - 2 1/2 Pumps depending on your coverage although this is a really thick foundation its also really smooth & creamy which prevents the foundation from being cakey, i wouldnt recommend this foundation to beginners in make up .

I LOVE THE packaging really pretty . A lot of people say that the " Medium shades " are orange which is not true at all . it depends on the shade you are using and your undertone because although this is a full coverage foundation it still sinks in your skin to match your complexion .( i am very yellow and i use M57 Which is also a golden yellow ) and i've seen this shade come out looking orange on other girls because they have a different undertone or they have a orange undertone . this is also the same thing a lot of women say about mac foundation being "orange" which i totally DISAGEE with mac is very yellow. so if your Mac foundation comes out orange on you its not the makeup, its you , and your undertone / complexion that makes it come out that way .

The best way to apply this foundation is with A flat top Buffing brush or Beauty blender i prefer the buffing brush because i recently tried applying this foundation with a beauty blender... didn't go to well because the beauty blender was sucking up and replacing the foundation back down and BLAH i guess it was because the foundation was drying/Setting so when i was adding the second layer / coat of foundation on top of my face it was kinda taking off some of the first layer.
But i ended up still getting the foundation too look flawless with the beauty blender just took some time lol ( i used the sephora beauty blender ). however the beauty blender is still good to use if you want a lighter coverage OR is only doing ONE Coat of this foundation , . However > I PREFER < to use a Flat Top buffing brush ,
I also been Loving this small dense brush that i got from BH cosmetics to blend this foundation out with ,
( the brush i been using is from their pop art collection brush set , its the " Number 4 complexion brush " its yellow . I put one pump of the foundation on the back of my hand , dip the brush in the foundation , stipple & blend out one section , then Dip my brush again , stipple and blend out another section , And it comes out looking beautiful and blends right in my skin .
Since the brush is small and dense it makes sure EVERY LITTLE THING is blended OUT and gets in small areas as well.
( you can also spray the brush with a setting spray or a mineral face spray if you want to loosen the foundation up a little bit ) .I WOULD NOT recommend blending this foundation out with a stippling brush or a brush that's not dense , How this foundation turns out on you is based on what you use to blend this foundation out with and how you blend it out .
You may end up hating this product if you use the wrong brush or don't apply it properly . ( there's been times in the past where i applied this foundation and i didn't like how it turned out , and there's been times i applied this foundation and it just comes out looking GORGEOUS AND flawless , ofcourse i know NOW what to use for this foundation to look flawless on me after trying different techniques and different brushes , but some people may have trouble with this foundation . )

i will Def REPURCHASE THIS FOUNDATION over and over again because it is one of my favorites it gives a nice airbrushed look and its just amazing . oh and one more thing if you have really dry skin im not sure if this will be your favorite foundation however i have seen it look really good on women that have dry skin . If you have oily skin and use this foundation please ladies still set it with a powder for a longer lasting use . For a real long lasting use A good primer and setting it with powder is the key . ;)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2014 4:15:00 AM More reviews by giles22_atl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

Ok, this is my HG! I have super oily skin & this will last from before work until I am home. Even lasts through a little sweat haha. Has a great full coverage. I like to apply this with a MAC 187 brush, stipple on my face & then set with powder. No foundations ever last on me, but maybe what I am using is working well together haha. Here are the products in the order I put them on:
Wash face with Sulfa based wash
Clinique Clarifying lotion 3 as toner
Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Serum w/ retinol (only sometimes in the morning, always use this at night)
AM Moisturizer: Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30
Foundation in Light 48
MAC NW20 Prolongwear Concealer for under eyes
Set everything with It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores loose powder
Finally I use Urban Decay All Nighter Spray when finished with everything.
This product is amazing, definitely worth buying if you have very oily skin!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2014 3:00:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

All right ladies and gentlemen, this is it! I have found my HG foundation. While it is on the pricier side of things, it is worth it.

My skin: Olive undertones but I'll take yellow foundations. I am pale (NC15 but olive & a hair darker; NC20 is too dark). My skin is combination. Normal with oily spots on my forehead, nose and cheeks (cheeks also have orange-rind like pores). I get random blemishes, have redness under my nose along with on my cheeks & chin, foundation doesn't like to be properly on my nose (either cakes or is gone), I have huge pores that foundation falls into, discoloration on the corners of my mouth & above (skin is dark & makes it look like I have a mustache), and I have broken capillaries by my mouth (III <-3 lines like that). Also I have darkness under my eyes.

The first couple of times I used a brush with this and it was slightly on the cakey side. I was sad. Then I used the RT Miracle Complexion Sponge (orange) and it changes everything. I was flawless all day long (through 8hrs of sweating and getting gross at work). That's without a primer and just with a setting spray (NYX Dewy- doesn't really make you dewy FYI). I bought mine in #44 (light) and I'm about a NC15 (a hair darker & more brown- olive undertones).

I wouldn't suggest applying this with a brush unless you want heavy duty coverage and don't mind being slightly cakey. Other wise you're going to want the Beauty Blender or Real Techniques sponge (mentioned above). Coverage is beyond what I wanted with this. I only have to use this, no concealer. Also after blending this in I do have to say it doesn't cover my orange rind pores but the positive side of that is that it doesn't settle into them either like some foundations. I'm sure if I used a primer with this I could get 100% flawless skin. I go in and put dots around my face, blend in with the RT sponge, use a brush to apply to trouble spots, use my sponge to blend it in, go in with a brush to apply underneath my eyes, and blend it in again with the sponge. I look flawless. I'm not kidding. I seriously have only had one other foundation do this (Rimmel Stay Matte) but I was an oily mess at the end of the day with that one. With the KVD Lock-It I'm still matte and it just looks like my skin.

Here's picture proof: http://i.imgur.com/pmk6XZO.jpg

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Sara44

The coverage is unbelievable, one coat and all the redness one my face was completely covered. It looked natural but I have oily prone skin and I found it made my face look a bit oily. I can't tell if this or the other foundation I tried that day broke me out. But if it wasn't for my oily skin I would definitly purchase. Best coverage I've ever seen while looking natural!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2014 2:38:00 PM More reviews by mirandafryman

I wanted to like this foundation, I truly did. As a pale girl, I could appreciate a foundation not tinted orange. Also, cruelty free is a big plus. I tried a sample before buying and am SO thankful. This stuff is full coverage, for sure, but it's so thick you can't move it. I dabbed a bit on the back of my hand and applied it in a small amount to parts of my face and blended with a Beauty Blender and it STILL didn't blend. It literally formed a new layer of skin on me, it looked so unnatural and felt so heavy. I've never understood how make up "felt heavy" before that moment. My pores seemed huge and I tried to fix it up with a brush, which made it worse and made it streak to the max. The price is steep for the quality/amount too, but I'm a cheap girl and will admit it. Not worth the hype at all. Only reason I gave it two stars was for the cruelty free aspect. Great idea, poor execution. My redness also still somehow came through even with the coverage because of how badly it broke up and oxidized.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2014 10:00:00 AM More reviews by tams32386

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used many, MANY foundations in the 12 years I have been wearing makeup. Chanel, Lancome, Maybelline, Estee Lauder, Clinique, etc.! This foundation is simply amazing. I have acne marks and redness and am also acne prone with very sensitive skin. This makeup gets crap cause people assume it's too heavy, not sure why, maybe cause it's known for the amazing coverage or maybe cause people know it was originally made for covering tattoos. Well, YES the coverage is simply flawless-goes on like another layer of your own skin, giving you the PERFECT canvas. I personally don't think it's heavy or feels heavy at all, and I also love that the ingredients in it are nothing too 'chemical', ance causing, or too unnatural. The packaging it also awesome cause it comes with a pump so it's not messy. The ONLY issue i've ever had with it is the shades. Although the medium 54 is exactly my skin tone-if I get a little tanner in summer it might not work and the next shade would still be too dark. LOVE IT. If you like FULL coverage without the heaviness and a matte look for oily skin-GET THIS!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2014 9:17:00 PM More reviews by cocoadolly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best way to use this foundation that I've found is to put very very little on your face and blend it out with a Beauty Blender. Its very full coverage BUT it doesn't last. I'm not even that oily and I find myself shiny rather quickly and I do set with translucent powder. It's also heavy, kind of like that foundation that you can't wait to take off. I bought it last year and I've only used it a few times. I blame myself. It was one of those things that I kind of bought because of the hype.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 10:50:00 PM More reviews by cking2013

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a wonderful product. I used to work for Sephora and this stuff will cover just about anything, we recommended it to many women with serious acne problems (although really, a dermatologist is a good idea if you need this foundation as well.) I used to have more difficult skin, and bought it for myself. It lasts a very long time, about 6 months for me, with daily use, and it is in a very hygienic pump bottle that is also sleek and pretty. This product is also wonderful for very light skin tones that are neutral to yellow, I am a 01Y at Sephora and have trouble finding foundations light enough for me, and this actually was. The negative of this to me, was that it is vey thick (which is of course, the point for some people) I felt like it couldn't be good for my skin, even though it effectively covered acne and dark circles and was decent for oil control along with lasting all day. However, after seeing a dermatologist and having my skin clear up from prescriptions, I will be moving on to less mud like foundations. I would really recommend this product though for those that really need full coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Roxxy6341

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

There were so many reasons I ventured into Sephora looking for a new foundation. I was too dark for my foundations I had, my skin went crazy and was left with scars and acne marks, and I needed something that would stay on for not only parties and graduation, but needed to photograph well. I left my face in the hands of the SA and told her I needed something VERY FULL COVERAGE.

She brought this one out, popped it on, and I was sold instantly. The coverage was a nice satin finish (not too matte, but not dewy either) and blurred out my skin. You couldn't see any dark spots popping through and best of all it doesn't look like I was wearing the dreaded "too much foundation" mask. I liked the price point on this foundation and was SO happy it was in a pump bottle *praise the makeup gods*

This foundation does indeed live up to its claims. It stays on FOREVER. Through all day events of graduation, parties, being outside in the general summer heat, this stayed on all day. I never felt I needed to powder it throughout the day. It's evident when you go to take it off at the end of your day that it's still attached to your skin. I took a few makeup wipes and Bioderma to get it all off. I would strongly recommend washing your face after using this. Though it didn't break me out, it is a HEAVY foundation. Now, I don't personally have tattoos, but I was curious if it really did cover tattoos. So I experimented on my dad who has them and I can say that this did cover his green ones very well. I can't say to any other colored inks, but the shade I have covered the green.

Another fair warning, if you have dry skin I HIGHLY recommend moisturizing just to make this blend a bit better. It is a very thick formulation and I also caution when applying to work in sections because it dries quick. I apply mine over a heavy moisturizer and blend it out with my Real Techniques Blending Brush to give me a nice flawless application. This does take patience and good blending to really work into the skin.

tl;dr

What I liked:
-This foundation stays on FOREVER
-Covers everything from acne scars to tattoos
-No breakouts or issues
-Great price (under $35USD)
-PUMP BOTTLE (hollaaaa)

I have no complaints at all about this foundation and would repurchase :)