September 2, 2014 | 1994 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2012 3:57:00 PM More reviews by simplification

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i bought bare minerals for similar reasons as everyone else: saw it everywhere and was convinced to try it. i got my set on sale at ulta and took it home, excited to try it out. well, it made my skin look wonderful, but wasn't enough coverage to hide the HORRIBLE ACNE it gave me. i've never had acne like that in my life - painful, under the skin pimples that didn't go away for a week, only to be replaced by more. i changed my entire skincare routine, thinking that it was my face wash or moisturizer, but my problem didn't go away until i stopped using bare minerals. i guess this is a relatively common thing and i was unlucky enough to have a reaction to whatever chemical-cocktail they use.

it's a bummer, because i really liked everything else about it. i even kept it for a long time in my makeup supply, thinking that some day i'd have magic new skin to use it on. no such luck.

i will point out, however, that my sister used it without issue. everyone is different.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 5:18:00 PM More reviews by DanseMacabre11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Both my roommate and I have been using Bare Minerals for over two year now. My roommate once said, "I don't care if I'm homeless, I'm still gonna buy Bare Minerals." While that make be an exaggeration, you get the point.
Bare Minerals foundation is perfect for my acne-prone skin. I don't have to worry about leaving it on overnight like I did with liquid foundation. It also covers acne and acne scars better than any foundation I had ever tried. When I have a zit that is difficult to cover, I use the corner tip of a triangle makeup sponge, dab it in a little of the powder, and put it on. It's like the zit isn't even there. Same for scars.
I especially like this foundation because it is so natural looking. I still blend it into my neck a little, since it IS a foundation, but I love that it looks like I have naturally even, beautiful skin when I really don't. AND it still lets my freckles shine through, which is a deal breaker for me :)
Finally, this product lasts forever. Yes, it is pricey ($27 at Sephora), but it is going to last you 6+ months wearing it every day. This equals out to buying $5-10 liquid foundation once a month.
Combine this product with Faux Tan bronzer and the Mineral Veil, and you're gonna be looking great!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 9:50:00 AM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have reading about this product and watching videos online of women who love it so wanted to try it.

My skin is generally great and i can get away with a BB cream with no problems.

Ulta had an introductory special with the Foundation, concealer and mineral veil so I got it for $20 to try it out.

Pros:
-Can't think of any except i was hoping this would be better during the hot arizona summers than a liquid foundation

Cons:
-Application is time intensive (brush, tap, buff)
-HAVE to use a primer before application
-Pores look larger
-Accentuates any dry skin
-Accentuates any lines in skin
-Messy container and application
-Made my face ITCH terribly
-Obvious makeup look when applied

Generally very dissapointed in this product and cannot beleive women like this! They must have never tried a quality foundation before...

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2012 6:01:00 AM More reviews by fuchslein

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a MAC NC15-25 depending on the season. Golden light is my color. This works well with my dry, sensitive skin, but when my skin was oily, this reacted with my skin and tended to make it itchy. The same ingredient that brightens the complexions and diffuses light causes itchiness, so if you are highly sensitive, do a spot test! Before, I used a kabuki brush to "buff" it into my skin, as the product advertisers suggest. This gave rather heavy, mask-like coverage, and it tended to become cakey and accentuate fine lines, as any too-heavy powder layer does. I had success using this as a setting powder, in conservative amounts. Now, I use the powder alone with my $1 E.L.F Face Brush, and sweep it on a bit at a time. Buffing is not the ideal application method, in my experience.

The coverage is light to medium -but, it is HIGHLY pigmented, which is why it tends to be fairly "obvious" foundation. I find that less is more with this powder foundation; with varying amounts, I can achieve a less made-up look, or a flawless coverage that conceals all of my acne and scarring (including dark red and purple marks). It's consistency is on the creamy side for powder, when in larger amounts. It can be made to appear to fill in pores with the buffing method, but I have accepted that I have pores, so this doesn't matter to me. Extremely dry skin will have its problems accentuated, there will be flakiness; my skin is dry and acne prone, and this still works for me as long as I moisturize and use my Korres Vitamin E primer underneath it to achieve a healthy skin texture that is easier to work with. I usually don't have issues with longevity of wear, and this is no exception; it only comes off with sweat, water, or direct rubbing, etc.
When I ask my boyfriend about his preferences, he doesn't know the names of the makeups, but he always likes my face the best when I wear this.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2012 5:30:00 AM More reviews by Whiteday

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I asked the SA for something that could offer medium-full coverage and which contains natural ingredients. This is my first experience with mineral makeup.

Pros:
-Definitely buildable coverage
-Stayed on face as long as I didn't poke at it.

Cons:
-Need a primer, which did NOT contain natural ingredients.
-Also need to invest in a good brush. This is getting expensive...
-Very obvious, much moreso than liquid makeup. I was matched to the right colour so that wasn't the issue. It's that it looks very cakey if you want to achieve anything more than sheer coverage. The finish is also VERY matte for the first few hours putting it on, which I personally don't prefer.
-Then the oily comes in. It starts sliding off my face at around 4-5 hours.
-Putting it on is difficult. I don't understand how people can control the application well. Some places look more caked than others, and when you try to fix that, voila, more cake!
- The ingredients didn't react to my skin at all. Unfortunately, even though my eyes were closed when the SA put this stuff on, I found for the rest of the day that my eyes got very badly irritated. They stang to the point I'd close my eyes every now and again to rest them.

Even though the powder itself is very natural, it has to be remembered that the primer used to keep it on is almost equivalent to all the liquids floating the pigment in liquid foundation anyway. If you don't use the primer, the staying power goes down. This product thus fails for me in several areas. It looks too obvious, finish is too matte, expensive and need to buy other products, gets oily faster than ELDW, messy, irritated my eyes.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2012 10:57:00 PM More reviews by Jods101

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

In my search for my HG mineral makeup I had heard alot about this foundation and thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately I really didn't care for this. I thought the brushes were ok and this was a pretty good color match for me, at first, but after about an hour or so it oxidizes and changes colors and becomes really orange. Not pretty. I didn't think this had good staying power and I always had to do a few touch ups throughout the day. I prefer a more dewey finish but I thought that this foundation had way too much mica in it for my tastes and it was too glittery. It also settles into fine lines and it did not help to control oil either. I noticed that shortly after applying this makeup my skin would itch and then I started breaking out from it (which is probably due to the Bismuth Oxychloride) That's when I decided to do my homework on mineral makeups and the ingredients used in them. In my opinion the quality of this makeup is no better than any common drug store brand. Don't believe the hype with this one. This makeup is nothing more than cheap pore clogging ingredients and clever marketing. I'm not impressed with this at all and I would not purchase this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2012 4:55:00 PM More reviews by gingerwinger

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Absolutely awful product, doesn't stay on very long, shades are too dark for my pale skin, gives me the look of foundation without ANY coverage, can't even cover a bit of redness or tired eyes. after a few hours it turns my face into a giant glitterball. I can guess the product works well on people that don't need coverage, but those that do this is not a good 'foundation'. The brush that comes in the starter kit is also useless & very itchy on the face.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2012 12:17:00 PM More reviews by adamj2004

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Utter garbage. Little coverage or longevity with or without primer (it makes no difference), cakey around the nose no matter what you do or how little you use or how much you blend, breaks me out, messy packaging (with or without the click and lock). I don't understand why BE doesn't do a pressed powder although they probably will now that they have pressed products. Mineral Veil is amazing but the foundation is just awful for me. There's a reason why Sephora employees call this Devil Dust lol

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by gleekie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first posting on MUA, and I hate to start off negative but I need to warn ANYONE out there who likes to get their makeup done in under 30 minutes to STAY AWAY! I bought this foundation in fairly light, even tho I'm more suited to a light shade. It was my fault tho so no big deal, I got home and watched a video on YouTube from the BE channel describing how to put it on. I took the full flawless face brush and dumped, no sprinkles a quarter size amount of wht looked like sand onto the lid, did the swirl tap buff crap, and there was literally NO COVERAGE. I have pretty good skin to begin with, I just hae hereditary under eye circles and a few pimples on my forehead. This powder did NOTHING to conceal my pimples or any of my blemishes when I brushed it on, and when I tried using a little more the powder fell off the brush when I applied it to my face and got all over my black shirt -.- ididnt want to give up on it yet so I used a concealer brus to pat it on my under eye circles, it actually looked good so I did that for a day, and then I saw after just 4 hours at school it had oxidized so u could see the line where I put the powder and where it ended (hard to explain, basically it looked like crap). I also got some in my eye and when I one day tried using it all over my face at school, I leaned against my Hand and some of it rubbed off! The last straw was really when, I my now powder covered bathroom, the bottom of the jar BROKE OFF and like half my powder spilled on the floor. So now I have the tiniest amount of crap powder left, a big skin toned streaky stain o my white tiles and I'm $26 poorer on utter garbage. Please don't buy it, go for the NYX twin cake or even elf studio powder, they are at least useful

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2012 9:05:00 PM More reviews by showSTOPPER

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love it. Just finishing up my first pot which I used everyday for I'd say 3 months now and I think its amazing! Very nice colour, great coverage. I use a brush from ELF the one with the flat top and long handle (think it might be the studio brush), and it works perfectly, I always blot after application with a tissue just to take off any excess powder. Underneath I always use Studio Finish concealer from MAC and both products work v well together. Warmth is a lovely bronzer too but you only need a TINY amount.
I'm around an NW20-25 for reference. Lasts a good 8hrs + for me.No breakouts.