July 29, 2014 | 1444 users online

Powder - NYX - Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by hmllr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this! It is super cheap. The powder stays in place and i love the matte finish.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/24/2013 5:42:00 AM More reviews by Suddenlii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Grey

Since NYX is my favourite general makeup brand and I needed powder (having nothing to go off of from before), I tried it, buuuut...

It's cakey, the coverage sucks (when you're not using it to set concealer/foundation), it clumps if you're not careful, the sponge it comes with is a joke, and the colour is also pretty deceiving.

It can supposedly be used with water for fuller coverage, but all I've found that using it with water does is make it clump oddly so it looks like you've got sand on your face. I've found that the powder really isn't as fine as it should be for what it's advertised as.

One small but still significantly aggravating problem is the compartment the sponge is in; I have short nails, so I basically have to break it to get it open.

Would not buy again, would not recommend!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2013 7:13:00 PM More reviews by LadyMedb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I should have read glamstep's review before buying this, because we have the same skintone (around a MAC NC25) and I ended up having the exact same issue with the same shade she bought (soft beige). It started out as what appeared to be an excellent match, but after a couple of hours (maybe mixed with skin oil) it started to look dirty, uneven, and a little orange, particularly where I had applied a bit extra because its coverage is kind of sucky. I have olive undertones and orange looks icky on me.

The aforementioned sucky coverage is sort of good, however, because I'm still keeping this product around to set other powders or blend/color-correct, and since it doesn't really go on that thickly, it doesn't really mess up my face too much so long as I use it sparingly and over some other makeup.

If you want a Nyx product that has a better consistency, as well as better coverage and staying power, look into Twin Cake. If you're NC25, Nude in that line is perfect.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by Jenhaas504

This stuff is awful, It's staying power is about 1 hour and its all gone. I just really didn't like anything about it at all, won't buy again!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2013 2:01:00 PM More reviews by Timeformakeup

Ugh... I'm not even that oily but this stuff makes me look dirty bad greasy... At first when I put it on it makes me skin look..good... But cakey.. Then after about an hour my face looks dirty and gross.. Definately won't buy this again waste of money

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2013 12:19:00 AM More reviews by StephanieZamazing

I really like this powder. since its hot i just put on some concealer and buff this in with ecotools bronzer brush, it gives enough coverage to cover up the redness on my face.
it doesnt get cakey on me at all, isnt drying, and it has a wonderful finish. i do use a setting spray though.
will def repurchase

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by miniequalcrzy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have two colors in this, sienna as a setting powder and chestnut as a bronzer
I love the color sienna, it's a little darker than my skin tone but my foundation is too light so it helps it become my skin color...a little darker but not orangey, its this really pretty color that reminds me of desert sand, kind of yellow ish but brown the only problem is that it doesn't control oil at ALL...stupid false advertising but that's not why I bought it anyways

The staying power is okay, it's still there on my glistening oily skin at 3 30 pm and I apply makeup at 7 30 ish in the morning, and I don't touch up at all cuz there's not enough time in between classes or during the lunch hour.
So though it doesn't control oil, it does stay put

The bronzer tends to slide a bit and that's annoying but it's not too big of a deal. :)

In terms of coverage it has coverage if you buy a color a shade or two darker but if you don't like that..and I'm guessing most people don't (everybody's so picky ;) ) your gonna need some concealer

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2013 11:54:00 PM More reviews by nreid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

While I wasn't looking for a foundation powder when I bought this product, I bought it because I liked it's texture - it appears to be heavy if you swipe the cake with a finger or sponge, but it actually applies quite lightly if used only as a setting powder or touch-up powder. It's pretty sheer in that sense, so it can be layered.

I have dry skin this powder doesn't feel heavy or highlight my dry patches. True to it's name, the finish isn't flat or terribly matte. I find it's perfect anywhere on my face but under the eyes. Applied under the eyes, it instantly sets any concealer I've applied that's crept into my fine lines and can create a caked-on look.

Only once did I try it with a wet sponge and it was absolutely useless as a foundation. It offers zero coverage (I bought the lightest shade, which is Ivory) and I couldn't even see where I'd applied it.

I wouldn't buy this product again, though, because the packaging is bulky and a bit ugly what with it's plain black shell and bold white lettering. Also, while it is sheer it doesn't really have too much else to offer and is way too sheer to be worn alone or over a BB or tinted moisturizer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by NinaSun

Horrible. When you wear it by itself, it's very sheer, provides almost no coverage, makes your face look powdery, and doesn't last. If you use this as a powder over foundation, you get a cakey look. Don't recommend at all.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I got this after seeing its repeated in Emily Noel's yt videos. Luckily ULTA always has testers for their NYX foundations so I was quickly able to spot Soft Beige as being the closest to my yellow NC25 skin. I wear MAC MSF in Medium Plus for added warmth so I was looking for a similar effect, not exact shade match to wear over concealer to make everything more even & flawless. Coverage is quite good, medium and leaves a dewy finish, I love. I dont know if NYX has recently changed its formula or not because I was quite hesitant with this product because of the oxidizing issue many on MUA warned. I wore it for many days in a row & checked in various lights throughout the days and had no issues of the color darkening/orangeing out. However I did notice the wear wasn't superior quality. I often got blotchy (even after using Skindinavia setting spray on top) and I have quite dry skin. I almost always needed to touch up and made the mistake of not having a kabuki on hand and got instantly scared. It was so much darker/orange/muddy looking. I became so conscious of my technique on initial application and just accepted the sloppy blotch face at the end of the day, until I realized its not even worth the effort. On to the next powder search.