Maybelline Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

Ingredients.Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Ceresin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Alumina, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Candelilla Cera / Candelilla Wax / Cire De Candelilla, Caprylyl Glycol, C30-45 Alkyldimethylsilyl Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Tin Oxide, Acrylates Copolymer, Paraffin. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 77400 / Bronze Powder, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77289 / Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77400 / Copper Powder, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide.. ...

on 5/16/2014 9:21:00 AM

$6.99

The skinny: Eh as eye shadow. OMG amazing for brows. (for reference, I use Mac Coquette es w Spiked brow pencil and formerly used Lancome sable pencil. These and Tough as Taupe are perfect and interchangeable colors w my black hair and brows)

Got this for mainly to use as a quick eye look but find it kind of boring for that. It may work if you are minimalist (and for work I typically donít do complicated color combinations myself), but with this I feel it not so easy to concentrate color on the lid and create a nice blend upwards. I got this as an alternative to the old HIP cream shadow paint in Nervy 817 (squeezy tube) which I still have, use, and love. The cream shadow paint (discontinued) is a more fluid consistency and therefore much easier to work with. The color tattoo is thick and must be warmed up by your finger in order to blend properly. It is a very nice neutral, cool, matte shade and works splendid as a base but for my taste, I find I have to work a little more than I want to daily to create an eye look with this. Iím not satisfied with how this looks alone. I like more dimension. I added 2 colors from UD Naked I palette to accentuate inner corners and deepen lashlines and crease.

However I, at the behest of previous reviews, tried this on my brows and I LOVE IT. AMAZING!! I worried that the consistency might cause it to be too strong an effect/color for my sparse brows, but it creates a beautiful fuller, defined brow in less than a minute total. Beautiful, natural yet defined, and QUICK. The cream consistency facilitates the effect of more definition in addition to filling them in, as you can easily make that nice, clean line Ė especially important in the area from the beginning of the brow and before the arch. It also helps to lay the hair down nicely. And I can create the tail of my brow with this alone, not needing a separate pencil! Very beautiful and so easy! I did not expect to love it this much. A product for this purpose and at this price is phenomenal.

Of course, for my nights out or photo occasions I will go all out and do my fabulous structured brow with the incomparable Mac Spiked pencil/ coquette combo

on 5/15/2014 8:24:00 PM

Found this searching for a brow color that would work for my slightly thinning, greying eyebrows. Some reviewers really liked this as a brow color, so it isn't expensive and am giving it a whirl. Yes, it does work as a brow color. Nicely, in fact. No red tones, not too dark and lasts on the brow for a long time. Easy to apply with a thin,angled brow brush. I don't know if this would work for those with reddish brows, but for me it's perfect.
I'll try it as a shadow, too. And a lower lid liner as I'd think it would create a very soft enhancement. Will update as I try it out on the lids.

on 5/13/2014 8:52:00 PM

I love this one! Perfect to get smokey eyes very quick. The colour looks great on my very pale skin and doesn't crease at all. Super long lasting, blends very well. I use brush to apply and blend, it picks up the product well.
Great to use whenever I don't feel like spending too much time on my evening look.

on 5/8/2014 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Awesome shadow and color. Amazing staying power and durability. This is a great neutral color for a base or alone. It's a cool taupe color that isn't washed out. A nice staple product for every day wear when you don't want to bother trying and will still look amazing.

I also use this on occasion as a brow "wax" when I am in a rush lol. Also have used it as a liner and it's just an amazing product.

on 5/7/2014 10:23:00 PM

I love this! I like to use it a neutral shadow for "no makeup" looks. I also like to use it as a subtle eyeliner. I've tried it for my brows too but I think it's a little too cool for me, but otherwise works great to help fill in the brows. Overall a versatile, good quality, great value cream shadow. Seriously, I've had this for about 6 months now and use it a few times a week and haven't made much of a dent in it. Definitely want to give some of the other shades a try!

on 5/2/2014 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Love this stuff. I use it as an eyeliner for some subtle defintion, BUT, its real genius for me is on my EYEBROWS.

Yes, it's a brilliant, perfect shade to give my brows definition and it LASTS. I use my finest, stiffest lining brush to apply, then blend with a spoolie, clean up the edges, and finish with a fixative of some sort. (currently just hairspray on a spoolie till I can convince myself to spend the bucks on the Anastasia Brow Fix.)

on 4/18/2014 11:30:00 PM

This is the very first Color Tattoo I bought and it was NOT a waste of money. I love this product. I don't have super oily lid, but it can get oily depending on the weather conditions, and this product stays on regardless with no creasing. I use it as a base, as well as by itself with some liner and mascara. Application for me is smooth, not patchy like some other cream shadows. On me it looks grayish, reminds me of the colour of cement. It is a matte cream, no shimmer. The price is fairly ok in my country if you buy it from a beauty store called "Pennywise" but it can get very expensive if purchased elsewhere. I have purchased a few other colours, but we do not get much of a variety here :(. Great product, try it!

on 4/11/2014 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Not what I'd hoped. I like the color, but it' same bear to get on smoothly. The brand new, previously unopened product felt very dry. Several brushes brought up...practically nothing. I had to use my fingers, which doesn't bother me, and it still felt dry and difficult to blend. If you can get it on, it will stay...

on 3/12/2014 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

One of the Color Tattoos that I somehow *had* to have... despite my inner dialogue ("Flat, boring taupe? Are you kidding? You'll never use that!") But I just had to have it... you know, because it was a flippin' Color Tattoo... and it was ON SALE... for like 1/2 price! I picked up pretty much every other one in the display over the weeks... I kept seeing the "sale" sign at my local SaveOnFoods and figured I could sneak them into the house one or two at a time under the guise of "groceries". And that's how it came to nestle in my collection. Having said that, I've yet to use it as an eyeshadow (not that I won't attempt it). I like mattes, but I kind of have to be in the mood to use them. They're... boring. They're respectable but dull, you know? And then over the past couple weeks I kept hearing all this talk about Anastasia Brow Dip, and I thought "Kewl... another attempt at gel for brows. I knew MAC put some out a while back - the Fluidline Brow Gelcremes - but those sold out like hotcakes and go figure, that wasn't enough to make them think "Oh, good idea! Let's make these permanent!" So much for an opportunity to capitalize on what many could have embraced as an essential beauty item. But the blonde shade was way too warm for my liking for me to even want to give it a whirl. And so, I'm also hearing the Anastasia ones are also too warm for a lot of blondes. Another lost opportunity (though I do hear more shades are coming...). BUT that is where this little gem steps in, because it works as a brow gel and fills that "true taupe" gap that both MAC and Anastasia messed up/missed out on. Seriously, it's my new BFF and I certainly didn't start the relationship even thinking it had that kind of potential. And it doesn't itch my like my pencil does, so I'm beyond grateful and pleased. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE... My usual "late to the par-tay" self is finally recognizing the greatness that was Chanel Notorious Ombre (not to be confused with Notorious Hombre...) Contraste - Sculpting Veil for Eyes and Cheeks. But you know why I missed out on this don't you? Because it's a flippin boring near dead, er matte taupe. Why put death on your face? Trust me, if you put too much on your face, people will think that BUT a judicious and strategic application will sculpt you the most perfect cheekbones, nose, eyelids or whatever else you want to sculpt onto your purdy li'l face. I get it. (Finally!!) Natural shadows mixed with flesh tones generally comes off as a taupey shade. (Not brown and certainly not a shimmery bronze... more on that another time). Now I'm not saying that Maybelline Tough as Taupe matches the illustriousness of Chanel, but you can also use this nutty little pot 'o taupe as a contour? (Oh yes, I did try it!) I haz cheekbonez! A little on one middle finger tip (it just seems to be the one I use to find my cheekbones), rub it on the opposite middle finger and gently press/slide it up under your cheekbones from just in front of your ear to about 1/2 way to the corner of your mouth. (Don't bring it too far forward or it will look unnatural). But it works... and it's long wearing! Didn't see that coming did you? Neither did I. This review just kind of morphed into some...thing and now I'm trying to think... Where else can you find a long wearing matte cream taupe? Mind blown. Who knew my little boring matte nemesis could turn the tables so fast? Nuh uh, not me! Get out the napkins cuz I just got served, man! Biggest sleeper in my stash. I should introduce it to my Copperplate...

on 2/27/2014 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have owned this for several months but lately I am obsessed and wearing it every day. As others have said, this is actually the perfect shade of grey, not really taupe at all on me. I am a pale but ruddy NC15 with warm undertones, and I tend to avoid warm colors as they look muddy on my skin tone. I am crazy about thus product for several reasons: 1) it's cheap; 2) it's available everywhere; 3) it wears like a dream -- all day, no creasing (with UDPP); 4) you get a lot of product so you'll never run out; 5) but best of all: the shade. It's the perfect cool-toned medium grey that can, in certain light, be slightly brown/taupe (but it's usually pure grey). This color is SO gorgeous with dark brown eyes and pale skin. It's the perfect crease/outer v color, but you could also use it all over for a dramatic smokey eye. It can be sheered out for a lighter casual grey, or it can easily be built up for a deeper grey, a darker dramatic look. The color is so versatile that it pairs beautifully with any lid color, like a basic cream or a shimmery silver. The issues I have with it and the reasons it didn't get 5 lippies are 1) I can't seem to find the perfect brush for it so application and blending are a frustrating process (tried synthetic and natural but nothing's perfect); 2) it can apply patchy because of the texture - best to warm it with fingers before applying to prevent this; 3) the heavy glass jar container is a bit bulky and annoying to transport. And of course, the name could be more accurate. Other than that, this one is love, true love for sure.