Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles

3.8

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

The sponge applicator of this concealer apparently gets a lot of mixed reviews, but it's actually my favorite aspect! While it's a little tricky to get the product flowing through the sponge on first use, once that initial hurdle is overcome, I find this concealer to be insanely easy to use. It only ever seems to release just enough product to provide the perfect amount of coverage. It is, in my experience, practically impossible to screw up.

Also, the sponge applicator is extremely gentle on the under eye area. I've also used pen-style and wand/tube concealers and I felt like those were less bulletproof/slightly harsher on my skin in terms of pulling it and don't like them as much. Personal preference, really. I also don't find the sponge applicator of the Age Rewind Eraser less hygienic than say, a tube/wand formula, but also not terribly fussy on that front.

As for the shade/formula, I use the one meant for correcting dark circles. It's a color-correcting concealer and as such, the pinkish/peachy color is meant to counteract against the blueish/purplish tones associated specifically with dark circles, not as a general purpose concealer. If you have issues with the color not matching your overall skin tone but still want to color correct dark circles, you can apply this first and then a layer of concealer or foundation that's a better match for your skin tone after. That's how I use it. Unless I forget to use it before I apply foundation, in which case I simply apply on top of it works almost as well!

When I'm feeling especially ambitious, I'll set my under eye concealer with the E.L.F. High Definition Undereye Setting Powder ($3 or so). It's not by any means an essential step, but it does provide extra longevity/staying power and a little extra brightening/dark circle color-corrrection.

FYI, I have deep set eyes and dark under eye circles (have always had them and one of my only skincare concerns). Short of surgically altering my face structure (insane!) or getting under eye dermal fillers, this is about the best solution I've found for dealing with dark circles. Not perfect, but gets the job done as well as can be expected and reasonably cheap to boot (performed at least as well as a much higher end concealer that I tried somewhat recently with similar color-correction abilities. Only difference is that the cost of the higher end product was like, 10-20x higher than this stuff per ounce maybe more, but I'd need to do the math. Infuriating!).

Good value; does what it promises to do.

on 5/17/2015 2:50:00 AM

I have it in Neutraliser, the best feature of this is its consistency. Its light weight so very suitable for the under eyes and functions well as a highlighting concealer. However the Neutraliser shade is a bit different than the Light one on my skin...Neutraliser is a bit thicker and sometimes it slightly breaks me out.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm really on the fence about this concealer. I've been using it for about a month now, and it really does a wonderful job of covering up my dark circles and evening out some redness on/around my nose that my foundation can't handle. It's terrible for acne though, don't even bother. The consistency is thin, which I like for under eyes, and creasing is minimal at worst. Price is good, however...I cannot stand the applicator. I would go as to far as say that I hate it. It's a borderline deal breaker. I don't like having to wait for the weird little puff to load up with concealer and then it always feels like not enough is dispensing so it's just click click click dab click. Maybe I'm impatient (spoiler alert: I'm really impatient), but it aggravates me to no end. Would much rather put it on my own sponge or a beauty blender or whatever and actually control the amount of product being used on my own. Irritation aside, it still works really well on my dark circles and it's portable and cheap so I'll continue to use it until I find something better or they get rid of the abhorrent packaging.

on 5/12/2015 6:42:00 PM

I love this concealer and have purchased it many times. I use the fair, and when tanner, put the med over it. The little fluffy tip makes it easy to dab in the corners and keeps it from looking too thick. It stays on all day as well. It's a great emergency tool, if you look tired and need a quick refresh. I would totally recommend it.

on 5/12/2015 9:24:00 AM

I have this in the shade light however I think I need to try it in fair. It looks fine in person but in pictures it makes my undereye look yellow. I have pink undertones. I've never had problems with dark undereyes until recently (blaming that on my toddler and finals). This covers so well! I really like the sponge applicator and it blends out well with the RT sponge. It does crease but I use loose powder to bake it and it stays perfect for over 14 hours. I will buy again but in shades fair and brightener!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use this is in the shade light pale. It is by far the best concealer for my under eyes. I always get a crease everytime I use a concealer and this concealer only gives a slightly crease. It is quite long wearing as well so I will repurchase again!

on 5/9/2015 7:24:00 PM

I had initially purchased Brightener and found it to be too pink and light for my NC20 complexion but forced myself to finish it before going out to buy the Light and Medium shade. (Hence the repurchase being marked as yes). In Australia I can only find the shades mentioned and also Fair. I use Light for my under eyes and areas I need to brighten. Medium for around my nose's redness. Medium is roughly an NC23~ but works when I blend everything in.

I like this concealer because it is very light weight yet covers well. My trick to get it to cover well is to apply concealer to the areas you want to conceal. Leave it to set for 30 seconds to set/thicken and then start blending or tapping into your skin.

On days when my dark circles are vey prominent, I whack on some Bobbi Brown corrector before using Light under my eyes. There is very slight creasing but nothing horrid, just where your normal creases are. I do set with a small dusting of powder always.

On to why I like this concealer so much. My nose is this.. Strange, fastidious area of my face where foundation or concealer never tends to sit well. I will usually use concealer around the area because foundation disappears without an hour or so.. Leave me looking stupid - flawless base.. Patchy nose? What!!!!!! No thanksss. Maybelline Fit Me, though good for under the eyes, did this also. So did Maybelline's Lumi Touch. Instant Age however lasts all day around my nose!!!! It sits perfectly on my face and even when the oils break through my T-zone, it wears elegantly! Not a nasty, shiny nose.

The packaging may be a draw back for some - the sponge applicator does get grubby overtime but I find this only happens if there is a build up of excess products. To combat this I use whatever is left on the sponge before winding up more product. One click happily covers both undereye areas and some light highlighting around the face. I clean the lid with alcoholic wipes if it gets to that point. Otherwise there is an option of removing the sponge completely! For personal use, I don't mind the sponge at all, but it does waste a lot of product. My tube lasts about 3 months without the sponge and roughly a month with the sponge.

Just a tip: if you want to wash your sponge. Pry it out with a tweezer, try not to rip it. Then wash it with Daiso's Sponge Detergent. Wait for it to dry and then place back in, using the tweezer to push the sponge back in.

Technically 3.5 stars rating but will update.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Having used this for a while now I quite like it, it covers well, really brightens my eye area and one bottle lasts ages however it does have a few flaws. Firstly I have large pores and it does tend to settle in them and make it's self obvious, secondly I find it doesn't last all day and a touch up is usually required.

For the price though I think its a great little product and I'll be buying another when mine runs out.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I picked this up because everyone in the blogosphere raves about this product. It's not for me.

First of all, I can't find the proper color for me to use under my eyes. I have quite fair skin with yellow undertones. The light shade is too dark, the fair shade is too pink.

The sponge applicator is a bit gross for my taste. Over time the product just sits there in the sponge and doesn't instill a good sense of hygiene.

Lastly, the product itself feels like it sits on top of my skin. It requires a massive amount of setting in order for it not to move if I accidentally happen to touch my undereye area. This is the only concealer I've tried that I absolutely have to use a brush or sponge (I prefer to use fingers) and obviously the sponge that comes with it isn't capable of blending the product onto my skin. The various reviews out there says this doesn't crease but all it does is crease on me. It's so thin that I don't understand how it doesn't crease. Initially, it appears to cover the dark circles but this stuff is gone halfway through the day.

A big disappointment for me. I much prefer the Fit Me concealer.

on 5/7/2015 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

this concealer had good coverage but the consistency is a bit too thin for my taste and It creases so easily. also i didn't like the sponge applicator. I really wanted to like this because so many good reviews but it just didn't work for me.

Video Reviews & Tutorials