December 21, 2014 | 1954 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really do love the NYC Smooth Skin Products from the Pressed Powder, the Loose Powder & the Bronzer. This Pressed Powder is a great affordable powder to meet all my needs in a powder. ( my top 3 are these powders & the LA Colors Powder) This powder is used almost daily in my MU routine. I alternate between the 3 I was just talking about.
PRICE/AVAILABILITY- this is the best part of this powder, affordable and in my price range. This cost me $2.99 but ive found them cheaper even at the Dollar Tree. Wait for a bogo sale or its def worth even the typical $2 price tag!
NYC Color Cosmetics are sold in drugstores like Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc as well as Target, Walmart- depending on your local area.
SHADE/FORMULA-
Translucent is a neutral toned very light pale powder. I find it will fit most skin tones. It may start being ashy for med to dark skin tones but if blended out correctly, it may not be a problem. I love how this powder feels. its super smooth and buttery soft. It applies wonderfully on the skin. you wont find any fillers in this powder like some cheaper powders I love using this with any powder brush & if you would like to use a puff to press & roll into the skin to cover up larger pores, it works beautifully for that as well. Its a great setting powder for any liquid and cream foundations. It sets my foundation wonderfully for hours. it def makes them last longer than they would be by themselves. Also this makes a great blotting powder for those with oily skin types. Just press into tzone or oily areas. I have normal to dry skin and this has not looked cakey and it does not cling or emphasize dry spots so its great for normal to dry skin. just go lightly in drier areas. The formula is one of the softest powders i own. This is def pressed well and there's no fallout or loose powder. Its phenomenal.
PACKAGING-
this pressed powder is in simple glossy black compact with a mirror inside. the powder itself has a circular rimmed design. its a decent amount of powder, about the size of my hand. so it will last quite some time. with daily use, i havent hit pan so far over the last 6 months. since its so pigmented & smooth you wont have to dig in. I like the simple packaging, it works to keep the powder compact & safe. its safe for traveling and makeup bags. i took it with me on my recent vacation ( i love the loose powder just as much, i seriously think these two the pressed & loose are the bestest but since the loose powder isnt travel friendly the pressed is def the same thing just pressed) and thru my traveling, this stayed safe and together- no breaking or cracking. but i do see that this may end up getting beat up with alot of rough handling. i never take makeup anywhere so this packaging is alright!
Overall, this powder is simply one of the best!! i really enjoy the natural finish to this powder- its a powerhouse powder, it sets foundations to keep em looking fresh, it keeps the oilies at bay, also a great touch up oil blotting powder for the fraction of the price you would pay for most drugstore powders.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2011 6:11:00 PM More reviews by EmmmJay

This has had mega-HG status for me for years. My favorite d/s product, hands down.

I love both the pressed and loose versions of this in Translucent. I don't recommend using it for directly blotting oil, though. For me it works best after I've blotted with a Clean and Clear blotting sheet. I get very oily in my t-zone by mid-morning, so I use a C&C sheet to get rid of the oil and then apply a light layer of NYC powder to refresh. I press it on with a velour puff (loose) or a sponge pad if I'm using the compact I keep in my car. My makeup then stays matte for hours.

The color is natural and doesn't oxidize. Of course the price and availability can't be beat. The packaging is cheap but honestly I've had some of the same crappy packaging issues with dept store brands. Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by devildoll133

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

OMG, this is the best face powder I ever came across!!!! It makes my face look like airbrushed, bathed in soft light...and the best is, it keeps my oily skin from being shiny all day, I couldn't believe it! I was just looking for something "light" for my very fair skin and this is one of the lightest colors in pressed powder they came out with. As it is VERY cheap (around 2.49 USD at Meijer) compared to other brands I used before, I am amazed by the quality (in a good way). A lot of people say, this powder would be a dupe for MAC's blotting powder, but I read the reviews after I purchased it;-), so I wasn't influenced there. I can definitely say, this is my HG powder to set my makeup from now on. Word!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2011 2:35:00 AM More reviews by Tsumaura

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Whelp I personally....hate it! It was okay as a blotting powder, but have you seen the ingredients? Holly parabens batman! Made my skin break out a lot :c

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2011 11:01:00 PM More reviews by tmmkitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i purchased this because i needed a translucent powder, and needed something less expensive than usual. at first i was skeptical, but i really do like it.
it doesn't get cakey, as long as you blot before you apply it, and it helps keep any oil at bay for several hours.
i have very dry skin, so i use it only when i have used a very emollient sunscreen, or if i ever feel the need to touch up with it after applying concealer. i love that it doesn't highlight my dryness.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2011 8:10:00 PM More reviews by poikilotherm

Loving this powder. Bought it because I was tired of spending $30 on an estee lauder powder (plus their customer service sucks). I wasn't expecting much, and I figured for $3 it would be a bit cakey or something, but oh my god it's perfect. I actually like the finish more than the EL pressed powder. The only thing is to apply it light-handedly. You don't need much, this mattifies with just a little. Even when I put a lot, it doesn't get cakey (just a bit unnatural). I don't find it too white, but I'm pretty pale right now.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2011 12:35:00 AM More reviews by rikiya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in Translucent after reading the reviews here and... I just can't use it as a blotting powder. I get really oily around my nose area and I brought it to work with me one day hoping to use it and all it did was leave my nose looking absolutely WHITE. I'm quite fair skinned, and I only used a little and it looked horrible, like geisha white.

It feels like chalk and putting it on my face looked like I was putting on chalk. It doesn't matter if I use my own cotton puff or a big kabuki brush, it's still chalky.

The only good thing is it's price, which was a dollar and change.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Jayjaybean

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this since highschool. I highly doubt I would ever switch to another blotting powder, since I love this so much. I'm very pale, so I never have a problem with it making my skin appear lighter like others have mentioned. I love how it never looks cakey, even after applying multiple layers (especially on hot days)

Today I was in the drugstore and I noticed they changed the look of the packaging. It's in a shiny black compact iinstead of that dingy-lookking blue one. I hope they improved the compact too, cause the old packaging blows. As does the sponge that comes with it. But for under 3 bucks CDN, I'll survive. Will continue to repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2011 10:07:00 PM More reviews by characterarc

I started using this last year, but stopped after a while because of crappy packaging. I bought a second one the other day because I thought it did a good job of blotting. No.

Like other reviewers have mentioned, this isn't translucent. It's very clearly WHITE. At the end of the day I checked my makeup and my face was very obviously lighter (and cooler) than my neck and chest. It wasn't my foundation; my foundation was actually about a half-shade too dark for me and I've never heard of a foundation that turns lighter when it oxidizes, right? The culprit was the powder.

And as mentioned above, the packaging is such crap. It's not a proper powder case closure. The last time I used this, the "closure" broke and the metal pan inside also dislodged from the case and came loose, and I kept it in my bag, so this isn't travel-friendly. Cheap product, nothing redeeming about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2011 2:41:00 AM More reviews by DeviousDana

For me NYC products are usually a hit or a miss, but when their good, oh baby their great. NYC's translucent pressed powder is a dream. its super cheap and it last. i use this to set my make up and it does its job perfectly. it has no scent and on my tanned skin it does not create any white cast, on very dark skin, it might show up very slightly but thats only if you use more product then needed. i would def repurchase its great! A tip would be not to use the little pink puff packaged with the product, as it can load up on too much powder, and apply unevenly, other than that its perfect