August 20, 2014 | 1971 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2011 2:35:00 AM More reviews by Tsumaura

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Whelp I personally....hate it! It was okay as a blotting powder, but have you seen the ingredients? Holly parabens batman! Made my skin break out a lot :c

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2011 11:01:00 PM More reviews by tmmkitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i purchased this because i needed a translucent powder, and needed something less expensive than usual. at first i was skeptical, but i really do like it.
it doesn't get cakey, as long as you blot before you apply it, and it helps keep any oil at bay for several hours.
i have very dry skin, so i use it only when i have used a very emollient sunscreen, or if i ever feel the need to touch up with it after applying concealer. i love that it doesn't highlight my dryness.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2011 8:10:00 PM More reviews by poikilotherm

Loving this powder. Bought it because I was tired of spending $30 on an estee lauder powder (plus their customer service sucks). I wasn't expecting much, and I figured for $3 it would be a bit cakey or something, but oh my god it's perfect. I actually like the finish more than the EL pressed powder. The only thing is to apply it light-handedly. You don't need much, this mattifies with just a little. Even when I put a lot, it doesn't get cakey (just a bit unnatural). I don't find it too white, but I'm pretty pale right now.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2011 12:35:00 AM More reviews by rikiya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in Translucent after reading the reviews here and... I just can't use it as a blotting powder. I get really oily around my nose area and I brought it to work with me one day hoping to use it and all it did was leave my nose looking absolutely WHITE. I'm quite fair skinned, and I only used a little and it looked horrible, like geisha white.

It feels like chalk and putting it on my face looked like I was putting on chalk. It doesn't matter if I use my own cotton puff or a big kabuki brush, it's still chalky.

The only good thing is it's price, which was a dollar and change.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Jayjaybean

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this since highschool. I highly doubt I would ever switch to another blotting powder, since I love this so much. I'm very pale, so I never have a problem with it making my skin appear lighter like others have mentioned. I love how it never looks cakey, even after applying multiple layers (especially on hot days)

Today I was in the drugstore and I noticed they changed the look of the packaging. It's in a shiny black compact iinstead of that dingy-lookking blue one. I hope they improved the compact too, cause the old packaging blows. As does the sponge that comes with it. But for under 3 bucks CDN, I'll survive. Will continue to repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2011 10:07:00 PM More reviews by characterarc

I started using this last year, but stopped after a while because of crappy packaging. I bought a second one the other day because I thought it did a good job of blotting. No.

Like other reviewers have mentioned, this isn't translucent. It's very clearly WHITE. At the end of the day I checked my makeup and my face was very obviously lighter (and cooler) than my neck and chest. It wasn't my foundation; my foundation was actually about a half-shade too dark for me and I've never heard of a foundation that turns lighter when it oxidizes, right? The culprit was the powder.

And as mentioned above, the packaging is such crap. It's not a proper powder case closure. The last time I used this, the "closure" broke and the metal pan inside also dislodged from the case and came loose, and I kept it in my bag, so this isn't travel-friendly. Cheap product, nothing redeeming about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2011 2:41:00 AM More reviews by DeviousDana

For me NYC products are usually a hit or a miss, but when their good, oh baby their great. NYC's translucent pressed powder is a dream. its super cheap and it last. i use this to set my make up and it does its job perfectly. it has no scent and on my tanned skin it does not create any white cast, on very dark skin, it might show up very slightly but thats only if you use more product then needed. i would def repurchase its great! A tip would be not to use the little pink puff packaged with the product, as it can load up on too much powder, and apply unevenly, other than that its perfect

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by ohhotdayumn

LOVELOVELOVE this. It does make me a little pale, but it keeps away shine so well! I'm on my third compact, and I am most definitely going to be buying this again! One of my must haves :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2011 3:35:00 PM More reviews by SouthernFried

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best drugstore translucent powder I have ever tried! It's dirt cheap and very effective in my oil control/shine. I am extremely oily and this product helps to set all my makeup and keep me shine free much longer than any other drugstore powder I have used (which is basically all of them). This is my HG translucent powder. It's not magic, but it does works wonders. Blotting is inevitable for almost everyone with skin, so I don't hold anything against this powder for actually having to blot hours after application.

Critique:

Pros-
*Cheap cheap cheap
*If applied lightly and blended well, does not look powdery/chalky
*Oil control! Shine control!
*Able to be layered for extra shine control (but again, it needs to be layered lightly!)

Cons-
*If applied too heavily, can look chalky
*Packaging is cheap (but hey, for the price, I don't care. Packaging doesn't matter much to me anyway, it's the product inside that matters!)

I will most definitely purchase again. This is my second compact of this stuff!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 10:29:00 PM More reviews by captainflamingo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

First of all, this product is not "translucent." It is WHITE. I know some foundations use "traslucent" as the name for their lightest shade and I think that is where NYC was going with this. I'm an NC40 and this shade is impossible for me to just apply throughout the day to keep oil at bay. However, I do like using this powder to set my liquid foundation in the beginning of my day with a verrrry light hand. I also use the truly crappy sponge(literally, it's like the stuff you put in packages to stop breakage so I don't put it on my skin) it comes with to blot powder on my bangs to absorb the oil as well. The packaging takes a hard push to close properly and it certainly isn't the prettiest packaging, but I can live with that. I might repurchase because it does soak up oil well, but I'm thinking about getting their Sunny bronzer because it seems like my skin tone and I can use that as a touch-and-go powder throughout my day, though.