December 19, 2014 | 1186 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express Colossal Cat Eyes

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2014 9:37:00 PM More reviews by taylor123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was a little nervous to try this because of all the bad reviews but I had a coupon for Maybelline and I have to admit, I was a bit of sucker for the leopard print packaging! Let's start with the brush, it's a curved brush and fits the shape of your eyes perfectly. Gets all the little lashes in the corners of your eyes as well. Super easy to use. Not that applying mascara is rocket science or anything but I really like the brush. The brush also doesnt overload with product, it almost looks like there's nothing on the brush but there is. It gets a little product at a time so you dont get nasty clumps. The formula did really well with giving me length and some good volume. It did NOT make my lashes look thicker or fuller though which was a bummer. It can make your lashes look a bit spidery if you apply too much. I do 2 coats and the no more! Anything more than 2 starts to look a little bit scary. It does last all day with me and I even took a nap one day forgetting I had it on and when I woke up 3 hours later it didn't smudge or move at all. But yet it comes off well with my makeup removing wipes, no struggle! It does look very nice once applied, not too over the top, but still looks glamorous. Also as I said, the packaging is super cute. Love anything animal print! All in all, it's a bit tricky to use when it comes to the formula but I love the brush and the staying power. It's not a mascara for everybody, I can definitely say I've had better but for the price it's really not that bad!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2014 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Jilly914

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I didn't expect to like this mascara due to the poor reviews. It was on sale and I had a coupon, so I decided to try it (I am a sucker for mascaras lol).

I was pleasantly surprised when I used it. It separates nicely, and didn't clump. It added good definition with just 2 coats. I think it's one of the better curling mascaras out there. I don't know if it was the curved brush or the formula, but it did curl my lashes.

I didn't have any problem with flaking or smudging, which a lot of mascaras give me trouble with. I would buy this mascara again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2014 1:05:00 AM More reviews by emma2312

I really like this product.

First off, the packaging it really nice, and the wand it very good quality.
The curve in the brush allows for a nice shape of the lashes, particularly when used with an eyelash curler.

It gives nice length, and curl, and separates the lashes very well.
However, for a "volum express" mascara, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of volumising effect of the product.

I find the mascara stays well, and doesn't move from the lashes or smudge below the eyes. It does, however, loose some of the curl during the day that it gives in the morning.

Overall, a nice mascara that gives girly and flirty lashes and truly waterproof.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2014 11:53:00 PM More reviews by Ikvira

I like how it makes my lashes look, but it's not very long lasting. I have the water proof version but it always manages to make it' s way under my eyes. I don't wear eyeliner either! It does it's job but i don't think i'll be buying this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2014 2:44:00 AM More reviews by jmmcd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought the waterproof version of this, and it does give very dramatic lashes, but does not volumize as well as some other mascaras I've tried (mostly fiber mascaras... I'm addicted to them), though it does give fantastic length and really makes my lashes stand out, as well as giving them a little lift and "flaring" them out some. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it, but my main beef with it isn't so much the volumizing as it is the RACCOON EYES. To be fair, the only mascaras I've used that HAVEN'T given me raccoon eyes have been fiber based or the kind that flake instead of smearing (the smearing is what creates the raccoon eyed effect, which I absolutely HATE more than anything else a mascara can do)... and I should also note this DOES do a very minimal amount of it and I have seen far worse before from a mascara... but that factor alone really annoys me quite a bit, because if it weren't for that, this would make a really good second string kind of mascara for me, and it's available just about in every drug store that sells makeup. They really need to go for a formula that flakes instead of smudges like many other waterproof mascaras do... the whole reason I purchased this in waterproof was because I expected that... usually only the non-waterproof mascaras smudge. That being said, I do like that it isn't as prone to breakage as other waterproof mascaras I've tried, I've even accidentally slept with it on and my lashes didn't suffer any damage. The formula seems to be quite nourishing as well and doesn't make my lashes as stiff as other waterproof formulas tend to.

The packaging is quite horrible in that if the bottle gets wet while on your bathroom counter, you can fully expect the red print to bleed all over the place.

The brush is fantastic... but I really love scoop/spoon style brushes altogether because when flipped upside down (curved side up) it prevents me from getting mascara on my lids, grabs every single lash, and gives extra lift to my already naturally curled lashes. What I especially like about this brush in particular is that it separates my lashes very well, which is very important considering on one eye there's a certain group of lashes that like to clump together. every. single. time. But with this particular brush, I always get them perfectly defined and separated.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 7:43:00 PM More reviews by erikakakaka

I came to write a glowing review about this mascara and am so surprised by all the negative reviews here! I am blessed with naturally long and curly lashes and over the years, have literally tried hundreds of mascaras in the search for 'the one'. Well - I am pretty sure I have found it in this one! I HATE clumpy mascaras...I like well defined, thick and full lashes! This delivers just the perfect amount of product onto my lashes. It holds my curl all day and I never experience any flaking or smudging. It makes my lashes look even longer than they are naturally and very voluminous. I have no complaints and have actually just purchased my second tube of it today as I've just finished my first one, (and I have honestly never liked a mascara enough to buy it twice).

rated 2 of 5 on 2/18/2014 12:18:00 PM More reviews by katyrenae16

This did absolutely nothing for my eyelashes. I don't recommend this at all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by KatWKSF

I was thoroughly disappointed with this mascara. I purchased it on sale with Maybelline's Rocket Express volume formula, because I am out of my Bare Minerals The Voluminzer mascara (which I adore, but have to mail-order). This mascara did absolutely nothing for me in the volume department. It has the traditional fiber-like mascara brush (which I typically like better than the new plastic ones), but it picked up and dispensed almost no product onto my lashes, even after several coats. My lashes ended up very "well defined", aka long and spindly. I wasn't looking for the long and spikey-defined look; I like thick, powerful lashes and this does not deliver. I'm a mascara junkie, and this rates down there with some of the pathetic CG formulas I remember using as a make-up inexperienced teenager.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2013 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Natalka1999

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This mascara is my favourite from the drugstore so far. My eyelashes are very short, thin and I don't have very many. I purchased this product when it first came out and I love it! It is on the dry side but it's very build-able so I can go for the natural look or dramatic look. The mascara makes my eyelashes long and gives a bit of volume, but it does not hold curl so i find my eyelashes looking straight after a while. My favourite thing about this mascara is how easy it comes off, I can remove this mascara simply with a couple swipes of water. The brush is curved and is the plastic bristle one which I normally would never go for but I find the wand works great on my lashes coating every single one :) The packaging is also very cute and slim. One last thing is that it does smudge on me- but that is most likely because of my very oily skin. I would and will repurchase this product but this time in waterproof. Love this mascara!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2013 12:53:00 AM More reviews by lashenova

I don't know why so many people gave negative reviews for this mascara. I personally found it to be great. My lashes are already decently long, have a natural curl, but they are not very thick. Since I am blonde my lashes are super blonde, and you can hardly see them without mascara. I love this mascara, it isn't clumpy, it makes my lashes super long and pretty. They fan out nicely and look amazing! It doesn't seem to clump and it doesn't irritate my eyes. I wasn't expecting a HUGE transformation. Mascara only enhances what you already have. If you don't have very long lashes it can only work with what you have....But that is why they make false lashes!