September 21, 2014 | 1816 users online

Fragrances - Lancome - Magie Noire

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2007 7:19:00 PM More reviews by CecileCecile

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am unsure which formulation I sampled today, but I must first state that Magie Noire to me is definitely not masculine. It is vintage in feel, it is also rather deep and heavy but it is very, very feminine. At the start, it made me think of Aromatics, and well into the drydown it is reminding me very much of Chanel No 19. On this winter's evening I find it quite winsome. Magie Noire is for lovers of oldschool heavy-hitters, and I mean that in the most complimentary way, being the retro fan that I am. This is a serious scent, for a certain time (winter night) and place (dressed-up occasion/celebration/seduction). This is definitely not a spritz-on-a-whim anytime anyplace scent like D&G light blue or SJP Lovely, and if you are into that type of scent then you'd best stick with those and stay far, far away from Magie Noire. I will eventually have a bottle of this dark retro beauty in my collection. This will probably be my only Lancome scent. 4&1/2 lip.
UPDATE: I think the scent I reviewed previously was the new formulation (It was in a squarish bottle). I bought a bottle today (black & gold plastic), and it smells rather different - definitely more animalic when freshly applied. I think I prefer the new formulation but I will have to compare the two side-by-side.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2007 8:21:00 AM More reviews by bambi53

Iddrk! This stinks. It's VERY heavy and kinda spicy. I also think it's very masculine.. I really really don'y like it. It gives me headache too.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2007 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Peaches1027

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm still on the fence with this fragrance, but I agree with everyone who said it smells like something an elderly lady would wear with her mink coat. I like it because it's spicy and because it's unique, but it is strong, and I'm afraid it will be offensive to others. If I suddenly decide I love it, I will update. For right now, I'm returning mine for something else.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/3/2006 6:59:00 PM More reviews by kells_bells

This perfume does not smell like anything else out there! The right person can definitely pull this off, however it would be best worn in the evening and has a tendency to smell like something that older women might like.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2006 11:42:00 AM More reviews by pearlywhite

Like it a lot. Was my first perfume. Good for evening.
It`s unique perfume - cause when I`m wearing it I feel myself at once concentrated and confident. Though I don`t wear it often and very seldom.
But I like to sniff the cap from time to time.
Also I would say the perfume stays put for hopurs and even for days! Very long-lasting thing. Doesn`t change throughout the day (don`t know whether it`s good or bad for you).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2006 10:53:00 AM More reviews by MellyHelly

Not so bad, but very '80s, very strong, it screams old lady with fur coat.
This is due to the fact that I smelled it on that kind of woman when I was very young. Actually it was a typical mom's smell and some of the moms smelled heavenly in this.
It could be perfectly wearable by a young girl, just make sure that it works with your chemistry, otherwise it becomes a nightmare.
I know a woman that insists wearing this and it smells awful on her!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2006 10:30:00 AM More reviews by IdaB

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A georgeous scent! What a shame that I smell it mostly on older women. I think it would be sexy on youger ladies as well! Exceptional, like for instance Rive Gauche by YSL. Very seductive... but strong. You really have to watch how much you apply. I'll always adore it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2006 10:52:00 AM More reviews by Gretchen76

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm right with the reviewer below- wore this in my teens as well. I only had the body powder (wish they still made that!), the scent would last all day. It seems now that there's controversy about the scent having been altered. I only had a problem with it when I ordered it online and got a plastic bottle of it- that stuff smelled nothing like the Magie Noire I remembered- it was sweet and floral- no mystery to it at all. So I shelled out the bucks at Macy's and now have my beloved Noire back! Others still disagree on that point- I have been vehemently attcked for that view on other sites, but I'm sticking to it. You are better of going to the store to test sniff this before buying, I wouldn't recommend an online purchase of this one. Sexy incense and spice- jsut captivating...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2006 6:16:00 AM More reviews by hottentotgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my first review of a fragrance so bear with me. I don't know all of the lingo regarding it, but I will say that I love this fragrance! I haven't worn it since my teen years, but I do remember that it was rich, different, unusual and not what most of my friends were wearing at the time which was a wonderful thing for me! Some may not get it, though. I had a male friend that said it smelled like Raid to him. Too bad! I love it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2006 8:43:00 AM More reviews by AprilH

An ex-boyfriend of mine loved this fragrance so I wore it for him. One of the first things I did post-breakup was toss this godawful perfume. For me it's too heavy and masculine and screams 1980s. If orientals aren't your thing, don't even bother. I guess it takes a certain person to pull this one off and it's not me.