Lancome Magie Noire

3.5

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The name fits the juice! Rosbergs3 described this perfectly. Magie Noir is an edgy, dangerous scent. Think Angelina Jolie in leather. It is one of those scents that shouldn't be worn every day, but rather saved for those times when you're feeling aggressive and sexual. As it's not traditionally feminine, I think this would also smell interesting on a man.

on 1/19/2008 5:41:00 PM

This is a scent that i like to call a GEESH scent. You spray it and immediately go GEESH!!!!!! Magie Noire is definitely that kind of scent. Its beastly, ugly, and mean......very masculine, nothing frilly and frou frou about it. I sampled it for the first time today on the back of my hand and a few minutes later i kept smelling leather. Granted, i did have a leather jacket on but the jacket was not what i was smelling. It was Magie Noire. A little while later i was smelling candle wax. Its been a few hours now since i first sprayed it on and i am left with a deep, burning autumn leaves type of scent or maybe its billowing, black clouds of smoke from a raging, terrible inferno somewhere in the city. Magie Noire makes me think of a grotesque, ten horn beast roaming a dense forrest that is burning looking for something to kill and devour.

on 12/21/2007 7:19:00 PM

I am unsure which formulation I sampled today, but I must first state that Magie Noire to me is definitely not masculine. It is vintage in feel, it is also rather deep and heavy but it is very, very feminine. At the start, it made me think of Aromatics, and well into the drydown it is reminding me very much of Chanel No 19. On this winter's evening I find it quite winsome. Magie Noire is for lovers of oldschool heavy-hitters, and I mean that in the most complimentary way, being the retro fan that I am. This is a serious scent, for a certain time (winter night) and place (dressed-up occasion/celebration/seduction). This is definitely not a spritz-on-a-whim anytime anyplace scent like D&G light blue or SJP Lovely, and if you are into that type of scent then you'd best stick with those and stay far, far away from Magie Noire. I will eventually have a bottle of this dark retro beauty in my collection. This will probably be my only Lancome scent. 4&1/2 lip.
UPDATE: I think the scent I reviewed previously was the new formulation (It was in a squarish bottle). I bought a bottle today (black & gold plastic), and it smells rather different - definitely more animalic when freshly applied. I think I prefer the new formulation but I will have to compare the two side-by-side.

on 12/17/2007 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Iddrk! This stinks. It's VERY heavy and kinda spicy. I also think it's very masculine.. I really really don'y like it. It gives me headache too.

on 10/15/2007 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm still on the fence with this fragrance, but I agree with everyone who said it smells like something an elderly lady would wear with her mink coat. I like it because it's spicy and because it's unique, but it is strong, and I'm afraid it will be offensive to others. If I suddenly decide I love it, I will update. For right now, I'm returning mine for something else.

on 12/3/2006 6:59:00 PM

This perfume does not smell like anything else out there! The right person can definitely pull this off, however it would be best worn in the evening and has a tendency to smell like something that older women might like.

on 11/18/2006 11:42:00 AM

Like it a lot. Was my first perfume. Good for evening.
It`s unique perfume - cause when I`m wearing it I feel myself at once concentrated and confident. Though I don`t wear it often and very seldom.
But I like to sniff the cap from time to time.
Also I would say the perfume stays put for hopurs and even for days! Very long-lasting thing. Doesn`t change throughout the day (don`t know whether it`s good or bad for you).

on 9/28/2006 10:53:00 AM

Not so bad, but very '80s, very strong, it screams old lady with fur coat.
This is due to the fact that I smelled it on that kind of woman when I was very young. Actually it was a typical mom's smell and some of the moms smelled heavenly in this.
It could be perfectly wearable by a young girl, just make sure that it works with your chemistry, otherwise it becomes a nightmare.
I know a woman that insists wearing this and it smells awful on her!

on 8/22/2006 10:30:00 AM

A georgeous scent! What a shame that I smell it mostly on older women. I think it would be sexy on youger ladies as well! Exceptional, like for instance Rive Gauche by YSL. Very seductive... but strong. You really have to watch how much you apply. I'll always adore it.

on 7/11/2006 10:52:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I'm right with the reviewer below- wore this in my teens as well. I only had the body powder (wish they still made that!), the scent would last all day. It seems now that there's controversy about the scent having been altered. I only had a problem with it when I ordered it online and got a plastic bottle of it- that stuff smelled nothing like the Magie Noire I remembered- it was sweet and floral- no mystery to it at all. So I shelled out the bucks at Macy's and now have my beloved Noire back! Others still disagree on that point- I have been vehemently attcked for that view on other sites, but I'm sticking to it. You are better of going to the store to test sniff this before buying, I wouldn't recommend an online purchase of this one. Sexy incense and spice- jsut captivating...

Popular Fragrances