MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (Pressed)

Mica, Silica, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Zinc Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Synthetic Wax, Calcium Silicate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Cetyl Acetate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-1, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol /- (CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides, CI 77163/Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 42090/Blue 1 Lake, CI 75470/Carmine, CI 77289/Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77288/Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77510/Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 77742/Manganese Violet, CI 15850/Red 6 Lake, CI 15850/Red 7 Lake, CI 77007/Ultramarines, CI 19140/Yellow 5 Lake, CI 15985/Yellow 6 Lake)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The claims: "A silky, colourless finishing powder suitable for all skin tones. Reduces shine while optically minimizing the look of lines & imperfections. Wear over makeup or on its own. Now in a pressed compact for ease & portability."

I purchased this only because there's a limited range of products available where I live.

Color/Finish:
It works well enough - the translucency allows for it to be worn all year without having to purchase two shades of powder. It does not leave a white cast. It sets my foundation. I'm not sure how it wears, because I don't notice anything exceptional about it. There is absolutely no shimmer of glitter particles in this, which is great. It gives me a shine free finish without being matte, which looks very natural.

Packaging:
The packaging is nice, with a good sized mirror in the compact. The compact is glossy, and has iridescent glitters on the packaging (but not the product). It opens with the press of a button, which is great because it won't ruin painted nails.

Pressed/Loose?
I bought this in the pressed form for convenience, but I may look into purchasing the loose form next time to be able to pick up more product to set my under eyes.

Pros:
-Translucent, completely colorless. Matches me year-round
-Sleek, lightweight, attractive packaging
-Opening mechanism

Cons:
-This is nothing exceptional

Verdict:
I have already hit pan on this, and I like it well enough. Because this is nothing special, I will try to find a drugstore equivalent of a translucent powder (that doesn't have glitter, because that's the main problem). If I can't find a dupe, I'll repurchase this one.
If you're looking for just a standard colorless setting powder and can't find a less pricey one, you can try this.

on 8/10/2012 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Like it! It helps on my oily skin :)

I rather like this. It does a great job of setting my makeup without looking too cakey. However, I've been using the Tone Correcting Powder from ELF and for the price, I'd rather use that than this.

on 6/13/2012 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Great product, great packaging! Keeps my oilyness at bay and sets my concealer with little to no creasing. LOVE this!

on 6/12/2012 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

I actually prefer loose powders, but they are messy to carry in a cosmetic bag for on the go touch-ups. This is a decent powder for a quick dusting with a retractable brush to repair the late day t-zone slight oily. I like transparent as colored powders just tend to be too obvious and cakey. I would repurchase. MACs packaging generally doesnt wow me, but it is functional. Overall a decent powder I can carry in the cosmetic bag.

on 6/4/2012 8:23:00 PM

Loose finishing translucent powder such as Makeup Forever HD powder and Elf HD powder can tend to get messy as it goes all over the place. I am glad Mac came up with a pressed version! It is great for touch up during the day when I get a bit shiny. It applies smoothy and sets my makeup looking flawless. it's not drying at all.

One of the CONS is that it does not come with a puff or application to apply with when you want to carry it in your purse or traveling. However, you can get ELF Powder PUFFS for 4 for a $1 and stick one in the compact to go! Hopefully, Mac will add a puff in it one day!

on 5/13/2012 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

The first time I ordered this, it came to me shattered in its shipping box. I've never had that happen with any MAC product before, not even with the more fragile mineralized products, so I'm hoping this was a fluke, as I'll probably repurchase more than a few times in the future. I love this for a finishing powder. It doesn't change the color of my foundation, doesn't appear chalky on my darker skintone, and it helps keep oil at bay a little longer than without it. It's comparable to the Make Up For Ever HD loose powder, with the added convenience of being pressed. (No tapping into the lid, spilling loose powder on my vanity, and it's far more portable, so I can toss it in my purse for mid-day touch ups.) I have noticed that with only a couple weeks of use, I can see what looks like the rings on the bottom of some powder tins. If that's the case, it seems like there's not as much product as with other MAC powders, but I haven't actually compared the labels to confirm that. Could just be the nature of the powder, or maybe I'm using more per day than I realize since it doesn't add color. I like that the packaging is shiny with a little shimmer to it, so I can distinguish it from my other MAC powders. Definitely a great staple product for me.

on 4/16/2012 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Lightful had been my HG for the last few years since I only use concealer n powder. Used over a med coverage bb cream, I found it leaving me cakey n looking like a I have loads of powder on which I didn't like. Hearing good reviews on this, I was swaying between the compact or the loose. Generally I'm not a fan of messes so I decided to go with this tho I heard the loose version is better. I love the dewy-matte effect this provides without adding more colour. It's great for setting and giving a light sheen. SA said I can us my mineralize skin finish for sheer highlighting over this. I finish off with Mac charged water n I'm a happy camper :) looks naturally polished but not overdone. Will repurchase but maybe the loose powder next time

on 4/12/2012 11:26:00 PM

I just love this! Due to the good reviews I read online, I decided to give this a try as Blot Powder makes me look cakey over Studio Fix Powder Foundation. I was really excited to touch up after I bought it and the look was really nice! I I didn't regret my puchase on this. Will have to keep my Blot Powder now. I am using this together with Studio Perfect Foundation and it gives me a very light-weight and natural look. I will give it a try to apir with Studio Fix also and update my review.
I recommend this for those who have oily skin, for touch ups that won't slide off your foundation.

on 4/8/2012 5:45:00 PM

I was topping off my tinted moisturizer with NARS Powder Foundation, because the foundation is not full coverage I used it as a setting powder but wasn't feeling happy with it.

I have a love/hate relationship with MAC, I love the aesthetics, I love the message, but the complexion products have all been an incredible disappointment, products that get great reviews either make me break out or just perform below my expectations.

But I was curious about this one and decided to give it a go. I have to say, I love it. I love the fact that it's chalk white and blends perfectly into my skin without altering my skin tone in the slightest, I do also think this has a sort of optical diffusion effect making my skin looking more flawless. It's also very effective keeping the oiliness at bay and I only need to touch up once.

This product, while pressed, was meant to apply with a brush, I use my trusty 187 and set my tinted moisturizer with a light hand for a natural finish of "my-skin-but-better" look. I skip my cheeks if I'm wearing cream blush because I enjoy the dewy glow it gives or if I'm wearing NARS blush because it nukes the sheen. It doesn't come with a puff or a sponge.

It hasn't broken me out, so this might be a MAC complexion product that I will enjoy.

I am listing this as a buy again product, but I cheat on my complexion products and I have my eye on Becca stuff, so expect a review on those one of these days.

Recommended for Normal Skin