December 20, 2014 | 1652 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by etternax

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation. Colour 09 is a bit darker than NC30 in MAC. I still did not get my shade as cannot find samples. I am NC25-27 in MAC so hope you could give me advice about the colour. The finish is like skin, does not show that you have anything on while it covers well and hides imperfections. Quite buildable. Light smell, dewy finish, not at all oily. Great for all skin types (I am combination).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I hate this foundation more than words can describe. I bought it in the shade white to add to my other foundations since they are too dark as I have very, very fair skin. This foundation cut the wear time of my other foundations in half when mixed in with them and then lo and behold, oxidized the foundations. This is one of the only foundations I have ever had oxidize on me and given that its a white foundation that kind of defeated its purpose big time. I'm kicking myself for tossing my receipt since I figured what could go wrong with a white foundation but apparently everything could. Worst foundation I have ever used. If any of you have skin that is too light for the lightest shade of most brands...help a girl out please.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by sharonsevea

Love that illamasqua does so many shades of their foundations. I am using the shade SB 08 and its perfect on my skin. During summer months it gives my skin a glow but not an oily sort of glow but a healthy glow but at the same time keep it reasonably matte if you know what I mean. It is a tiny bit difficult to blend so you have to be quick but that doesnt cause me any problems. When used with the illamasqua matt primer its perfect.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

EDIT: I sold the foundation. On my skin, the 4 hours of wear time makes the foundation unusable on me.

OLD: Though I could go on why I don't like the foundation, you can't beat the color section! I just can't find a good match to my skin, and in SB I found a good (not perfect) match - the best I could find among other brands. Most of them are either orange/peach, the lightest is too dark or it oxidizes into an orange or beige color. Because I have oily skin, I was convinced I need the matte primer so I bought it. What I don't like about the foundation (combined with the beforementioned primer) is that the waring time is not long enough.
If you touch your face after few hours, you completely remove the foundation: when I tried to blend a small part on my forehead with my finger, I removed the foundation from the touched place (!!). Though I use their matte primer and set it with their presser powder in 010, I still get oily. Those three products don't provide any oil absorbing features, which ,for me, is strange and untypical. Not one of them helps the foundation stay longer or my oily skin under control. The foundation photographs nicely. And, though it is supposed to have a semi dewy finish, I find (with or without the primer) that it has an almost matte, dry finish. It covers the redness and imperfections pretty good, but for the under eye area I suggest to use a concealer.

During the winter time (atm -2 Celsius degrees) it performs really poor. After two hours I am left with a patchy face - the foundation "breaks". It's worth noting I use oil-free creams/moistruizers for oily/combination skin (currenty Anti-imperfections by Yves Rocher). The foundation breaks and melts, and you are left with an uneven foundation. I feel ashamed when I come home and see that the foundation didn't survive a couple of hours of wear time. I don't have a habit of blotting my face or reapplying my foundation during the day.

I WOULDN'T buy it again and only because of it's lasting power. I could survive with the poor oil absorbing properties (the primer is emarassment for itself!) but the lasting power of just few hours is really bad. The foundation is not good for the dry skin because it accentuates it. You should prep your skin good because the initial efect is dry, it's not a dewy foundation so it doesn't compliment the skin which has imperfections.
The color range makes this foundation a winner which is why I gave it 2*. It's a shame it contains oil. I find the package OK, but it would be better if it had a screw-open top and a pump - I'm not sure how I'll use it when the tube gets almost empty because the bottom of the tube isn't squeezable and you can't cut the packaging easily!

SUM:
- big color range!!
- semi matte to matte finish
- medium, buildable coverage
- wear time poor
- not for extreme weather (too cold, too warm, sports)
- easily transferable
- would not recommend nor buy it again (there are better out there)
- haven't found a primer that combats the cons
- oily/combo skin starts to shine after 1.5 hrs

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by mariavittoria1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE my Skin Base! After trying it out for myself I decided to add it to my pro kit and now it's one of my favourite foundations to use on clients.
First of all, the color range is outstanding. They have really researched skintone variations in depth, because the colors really make a lot of sense. I own n.6 for myself, which is a beautiful shade for light Caucasian skin, a perfect balance of pink and yellow undertones with a certain warmth to it. You know how some base products (BB creams in particular) claim to be "neutral" toned, and upon close inspection they indeed don't have an imbalance in yellow or pink tones but end up looking greyish? The beauty of Skin Base n.6 lies in that touch of peach in it that keeps your complexion looking alive.
I've worked on hundreds of Chinese models and n.3 is a fantastic base for very fair, very yellow toned complexions.
When you squirt out the product, it looks quite thick. Indeed, it's not the most runny texture, but it spreads beautifully anyway and it almost seems to "wrap" the skin and perfect it, rather than sitting on top of it. The coverage is outstanding, starts from medium with one light layer and can be built up to higher coverage on blemishes or hyperpigmentation. It's not quite full coverage as something like Kevyn Aucoin's Sensual Skin Enhancer or Estee Lauder Maximum Cover, but it comes close.
Staying power is good and is easily boosted with a thin layer of their Matt Primer underneath. I also love to mix that primer with the foundation itself when I want a more sheer coverage. On my own skin (oily, sensitive and acne-prone) it gets shiny after about 3-5 hours depending on weather/activity, which is about average for me, so nothing exceptional but not bad either.
It works well on most skin types. The correct skin prep is essential whether you have dry, oily or sensitive skin, which is the reason why some people can't seem to like it enough. If your skin is correctly exfoliated and moisturized, this will look amazing.
The finish is flawless yet natural. If you apply a really sheer layer, it can look undetectable on the skin. Somehow it manages to conceal imperfections without the plasticky, airbrushed look that you can get from some high coverage cream foundation for example. Your pores will be perfected but they will still look like pores.
Love the packaging as well. The bottle is very practical and hygenic, easy to find in my makeup bag (and detect the colour I need) and I think it looks quite unique compared to most other foundations!
Needless to say, it has no SPF and photographs beautifully, which is also why it's one of my top choices when I do makeup for print.
I got mines with a pro discount, but I would definitely pay full price for this anytime.
Highly recommended!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 3:18:00 AM More reviews by pirateninja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I was initially drawn to try this foundation after doing some research and learning that the Illamsqua line caters to a wide variety of skin shades including many with olive undertones and was generally well-reviewed. Recently, I came to the "what have I been doing all this time" conclusion that my pale skin has warm olive undertones and that all those years trying to find the right foundation shade without this knowledge were indeed spent in vain.

Thus my search brought me to this foundation in the shade 4.5 a perfect match for said undertones and light skin. The real beauty of this foundation for me is the color match and how seamless it looks on my skin.

Performance:
This foundation has a fairly light feel, for me but still manages to cover most all of my imperfections. I find this to be right around medium coverage but it can be layered easily and on my combination/oily skin is not cakey.
This foundation applies very smoothly, and using a dense buffing brush to pat it into my skin I can create a very pretty natural looking finish.

One negative aspect, although I do set this foundation with powder, is it can get oily after time. I can get maybe about five hours of good wear with this (which is pretty good imo)
but after a while the oil pokes through and the foundation also becomes very prone to transferring which is the reason why I have to take off one star.

This is a really great foundation, I wouldn't wear it on a really long / hot day but I would
recommend it if you are paler with olive undertones and need a good match with decent coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by pinkbrush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Another love ♥ I got a sample of this at sephora which I have been using for about two weeks on and off, I got 6.5 and am about nc25 (7.5 was a touch too dark but could work if my fake tan is at it's darknest). I have dry skin and this works very nicely, doesn't look too powdery and gives awesome coverage.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by wearescientists

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation is beautiful, I get nothing but compliments when I wear it. It gives me a really glowy finish and it doesn't break me out. The only cons to this is the fact it settles into my laugh lines.
I found that this is best applied with my real techniques buffing brush, a lot of people say it's hard to blend but I find it incredibly easy to blend!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/2/2013 3:51:00 PM More reviews by aya12

So a quick review - AWFUL PRODUCT IF YOU HAVE ACNE PRONE SKIN! completely broke me out the next day, i really would never ever recommend this product as it done more harm to me than good!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Kizzii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been meaning to review this foundation for an awfully long time now. This is now my HG of foundations and I have had a journey with foundations!

I have combination skin with tendancies to be dry in the winter. I am also a South Asian thus I have a yellow skin tone however I suffer from exceptionally pink cheeks so my tone is actually mixed. Due to this I tend to find it difficult to find a foundation which provides me the right kind of even tone. I do have good skin with pretty much even tone bar the pink cheeks! I have tried countless high end and drug store foundations. And none have impressed me but this, in particular due to the finish and colour match.

I came across illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation in March 2012, purchased from their Selfridges consession in Manchester City Centre. At that time, they did not have the .5 numbers within the range as it was fairly new to the market. This addition was made toward the latter part of the year.

I tested the foundation and felt and still feel, it is fantastic!

Price - I have always believed that when it comes to your skin, money should not be an issue however it is toward the high end of the market priced at £27.00 for 30ml. But it is worth it and doesn't finish easily.

Longevity - The product lasts. My 30ml bottle has lasted me for 13 months, coming up to 14 months and I still have a litle remaining. You could wear it easily for 10 hours without needing to reapply. It holds up extremly well without any streaking through the day.

Bottle - This slim, compact bottle with a squeezy tube is a brilliant design! As it really does allow you to use every little bit of the foundation. As mentioned above, 14 months later I still have product remaining and the neat design means you are never wasting the product or leaving it for dust to gather on the tube like it would with a pump thus leaving a risk to breakout from dust.

Range - It comes in a range of colours from yellow to cool/pink and even to neutral skin tones which are both yellow and pink, like mine. My colour match is the most perfect match I have come across yet.

Product - So it has a BB cream to it which makes the consistency look thick however refreshingly moisturising and not thick at all once applied! Due to this, I only use a small amount, a pea sized if not less. It blends extremely well. It keeps my skin hydrated and as I apply it after moisturising, it leaves me with a beautiful finish and a dewy effect which I adore. I do set it with a translucent powder on the days I want a completely matte look,mainly during winter and leave the dewy look constantly in the summer. It is medium coverage however is buildable. If you have reasonably clear and even skin like I do, then a small amount will give you the perfect even tone and no need for concealor. If like some you have scarred skin or blemishes, you can easily build it up without it looking heavy or built up and it disguises horrible blemish marks and scarring very well. As it isn't an oily foundation, you will not break out. I rarely break out however upon trying Mac's SFF Foundation, I broke out for the first time in years. I also felt as though I had a greying effect in photos courtesy of the SPF in it. SB does not have any SPF and no greying effect whatsoever as it does genuinely adapt to your skin colour and very well so. It photographs beautifully with HD quality. I was advised by the SA to apply it with the illamasqua Highlighter Brush (£23) and that was a great decision! It blends the foundation beautifully! The brush is built so well that it will never leave you with one streak line anywhere! I have never tried to apply it without the HB so I wouldnt be able to comment about another method but that is also my HG brush! I have tried to find a dupe for the brush for my friends but no other brush compares! It can be used as an everyday foundation however as it does have BB cream in it my suggestion would be to use a small amount so as to allow your pores to breathe! I don't wear foundation daily however if I ever did, this would be my daily foundation as I have tried to look for what I believed would be a 'light alternative' and realised all foundations are of similar consistency to this!

All in all, the foundation has a smooth application, is buildable if needed, hydrating, non greying, adaptable, long wearing, long lasting, and an absolutely lovely finish. I will continue to purchase! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

I cannot rave more about this foundation and within a year of using it, I have never had any problems! I have six friends who have also purchased it having seen me wearing it and testing it out initially! Try a sample before you splurge!