August 21, 2014 | 1734 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by pinkbrush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Another love ♥ I got a sample of this at sephora which I have been using for about two weeks on and off, I got 6.5 and am about nc25 (7.5 was a touch too dark but could work if my fake tan is at it's darknest). I have dry skin and this works very nicely, doesn't look too powdery and gives awesome coverage.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by wearescientists

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation is beautiful, I get nothing but compliments when I wear it. It gives me a really glowy finish and it doesn't break me out. The only cons to this is the fact it settles into my laugh lines.
I found that this is best applied with my real techniques buffing brush, a lot of people say it's hard to blend but I find it incredibly easy to blend!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/2/2013 3:51:00 PM More reviews by aya12

So a quick review - AWFUL PRODUCT IF YOU HAVE ACNE PRONE SKIN! completely broke me out the next day, i really would never ever recommend this product as it done more harm to me than good!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Kizzii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been meaning to review this foundation for an awfully long time now. This is now my HG of foundations and I have had a journey with foundations!

I have combination skin with tendancies to be dry in the winter. I am also a South Asian thus I have a yellow skin tone however I suffer from exceptionally pink cheeks so my tone is actually mixed. Due to this I tend to find it difficult to find a foundation which provides me the right kind of even tone. I do have good skin with pretty much even tone bar the pink cheeks! I have tried countless high end and drug store foundations. And none have impressed me but this, in particular due to the finish and colour match.

I came across illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation in March 2012, purchased from their Selfridges consession in Manchester City Centre. At that time, they did not have the .5 numbers within the range as it was fairly new to the market. This addition was made toward the latter part of the year.

I tested the foundation and felt and still feel, it is fantastic!

Price - I have always believed that when it comes to your skin, money should not be an issue however it is toward the high end of the market priced at £27.00 for 30ml. But it is worth it and doesn't finish easily.

Longevity - The product lasts. My 30ml bottle has lasted me for 13 months, coming up to 14 months and I still have a litle remaining. You could wear it easily for 10 hours without needing to reapply. It holds up extremly well without any streaking through the day.

Bottle - This slim, compact bottle with a squeezy tube is a brilliant design! As it really does allow you to use every little bit of the foundation. As mentioned above, 14 months later I still have product remaining and the neat design means you are never wasting the product or leaving it for dust to gather on the tube like it would with a pump thus leaving a risk to breakout from dust.

Range - It comes in a range of colours from yellow to cool/pink and even to neutral skin tones which are both yellow and pink, like mine. My colour match is the most perfect match I have come across yet.

Product - So it has a BB cream to it which makes the consistency look thick however refreshingly moisturising and not thick at all once applied! Due to this, I only use a small amount, a pea sized if not less. It blends extremely well. It keeps my skin hydrated and as I apply it after moisturising, it leaves me with a beautiful finish and a dewy effect which I adore. I do set it with a translucent powder on the days I want a completely matte look,mainly during winter and leave the dewy look constantly in the summer. It is medium coverage however is buildable. If you have reasonably clear and even skin like I do, then a small amount will give you the perfect even tone and no need for concealor. If like some you have scarred skin or blemishes, you can easily build it up without it looking heavy or built up and it disguises horrible blemish marks and scarring very well. As it isn't an oily foundation, you will not break out. I rarely break out however upon trying Mac's SFF Foundation, I broke out for the first time in years. I also felt as though I had a greying effect in photos courtesy of the SPF in it. SB does not have any SPF and no greying effect whatsoever as it does genuinely adapt to your skin colour and very well so. It photographs beautifully with HD quality. I was advised by the SA to apply it with the illamasqua Highlighter Brush (£23) and that was a great decision! It blends the foundation beautifully! The brush is built so well that it will never leave you with one streak line anywhere! I have never tried to apply it without the HB so I wouldnt be able to comment about another method but that is also my HG brush! I have tried to find a dupe for the brush for my friends but no other brush compares! It can be used as an everyday foundation however as it does have BB cream in it my suggestion would be to use a small amount so as to allow your pores to breathe! I don't wear foundation daily however if I ever did, this would be my daily foundation as I have tried to look for what I believed would be a 'light alternative' and realised all foundations are of similar consistency to this!

All in all, the foundation has a smooth application, is buildable if needed, hydrating, non greying, adaptable, long wearing, long lasting, and an absolutely lovely finish. I will continue to purchase! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

I cannot rave more about this foundation and within a year of using it, I have never had any problems! I have six friends who have also purchased it having seen me wearing it and testing it out initially! Try a sample before you splurge!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:52:00 AM More reviews by Alicepalace88

First things first, Illamasqua has a great range of colours, particularly for pale skins. I bought this foundation in 02 and it matches my skin perfectly which is fantastic as I can not find a foundation on the high street which doesn't leave my face a completely different shade from my chest. For reference, I am much paler than an NW15, I am waiting to try the NW10.

Price - For me, this makes the foundation worth the money but unless it is due to the range of colours that is making you look at this foundation, I think you can find better elsewhere.

Coverage - Skinbase provides good coverage but can be difficult to blend so I always reach for my beauty blender when using this. It also has a tendency to sink into the pores on the side of my nose.

Longetivity - I would say the foundation does last, even up to my 16 hour days but not perfectly, I found I had to dot a bit of concealer on my nose to keep my skin looking perfect.

Packaging - This upsets me, the package is a firm plastic tapered rectangle (I'm sure there is a technical word for that) and it is rubbish. You have to squeeze the tube quite hard and it is difficult to gauge how much product will come out. If too much comes out, there is no way to put it back in as you can't twist a top off and the little sprout is far too small to push product back into.

If I can't find another pale foundation then I will probably stick with this but I do think improvements can be made.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:27:00 AM More reviews by livelovemakeup1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this foundation (and yes I should have asked for a sample first like I usually do) on a whim. I had heard the most wonderful things about it.

As a brand, I love Illamasqua but as a makeup artist, I'm not faithful to any one brand no matter how much I want to love it.

This is really not a good foundation. On my particular skin (combination), it made me look like an oil slick. My pores looked like craters by the end of the day. And yes, I did powder my skin but the oils just kept coming!

I still persisted and gave the foundation a good two weeks trial. By the end I had about five blemishes on my face that I never had before.

About the only redeeming quality is that it blends well and the colours are great. The packaging isn't bad either. The foundation comes in a squeeze bottle which is hygienic and easy to carry around.

If this foundation works for you, I am envious.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/30/2013 9:49:00 AM More reviews by QueenofHeartsx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Was excited to try this, like a lot of others I saw the pixiwoo sisters ising and wanted to fall in love. Really disliked the formula as it is thick and hard to blend. The "dewyness" just looked greasy. It caked in certain places (like my cheeks!) which never cake with other foundations. At £27 a pop it's expensive for such horrid quality. Tried over moisturizer, then again over two differeny primers. If you want to try this get a tester because if you end up disliking it half as much as Ido, you'll get pissed. Back to the MAC counter I go.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2013 11:03:00 PM More reviews by DominicMasters

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I thought I'd love this foundation, and I do for very limited use.

It's very thick and holds shape when squeezed out of the bottle which I like, I hate runny foundations (I'm looking at you, Colorstay!) so that's a plus point for me. The shade range is vast but as with a lot of Illamasqua products, I'm pretty sure they pay a drunk person to write the colour descriptions on their site. "Pink with yellow" - what does that even mean?

The finish isn't totally dewy, but is more dewy than matte. Some have said it controls oil well for them, but I find my nose is already shiny as soon as I've finished applying. My cheeks, which aren't oily, look lovely but my pain-in-the-butt t-zone is very picky about this foundation.

When it's buffed into skin it gives good coverage on the tone and colour side of things, but not on texture if that makes sense. Bumps and lines are still visible, but your overall condition, tone and colour appears much smoother and less flawed, but not to the point of being amazed.

However, I did accidentally stumble across the most amazing use for this product; photos. For the first time in my life I got snapped at a party and my skin looks incredible - I'd used matt primer by Illamasqua, Skin Base in 3.5 and set with MAC Studio Careblend pressed powder in Light and it was undetectable to the camera - you can't see any blatant makeup and my skin looks amazing. It certainly didn't look that good in person, but it really did earn its keep in that photo.

Ever since then I always use it for photoshoots, but I wouldn't wear it for day-to-day as it makes me too shiny, too quickly. I wouldn't dream of going near it for summer wear or for clubbing all night, but for environments like photoshoots where you can readily touch up and play around with it it's really reliable.

I don't think I'd repurchase as £27 is a lot of money for good photo skin when I paid for a foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Cayla29S

I waited on giving this foundation a review since i wanted to make sure I tested the product enough to give an honest one. I got the shade in 12 and i'm about nc44 in MAC and Toast in revlon colorstay. It wasn't too difficult at all to find my shade which was great.

Pros: Coverage is great. You can go from light, medium and potentially full (though it might look cakey if you go this far).
Application- I use a beauty blender with this. MAC 187 would probably work well too.
Consistency- Thick. You only need very little of the product to cover your face.
Spf- none. This is exactly why I wanted to try this. It looks flawless in pictures. Flash or no flash.

Cons- I have combination to oily skin. This foundation lasted on me for 4 hours max and i had to blot already. No good in comparison to MAC Matchmaster or My smahbox studio skin fdtn. This is only moisturizing drier areas of my face, primer and setting powder. For drier gals, make sure you have no dry patches when using this as it will cling to that area.
Expensive - make sure you get a sample first before you buy this.

I really wanted to like this foundation as it looks amazing in photos but this is not a fdtn I can wear for an 8 hr work day. I would be very conscious and feel the need to check my face every few hours or so. I would not even attempt to use this in the summer time.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2013 8:20:00 AM More reviews by LishWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate writing bad reviews, especially about newer brands. Dont jump into buying this foundation unless you get a sample first. This foundation has gain cult status very quickly because of YouTube (I think pixiwoo).

The reason why I have given this foundation such a low score is because of its colour range for dark skin. I'm an NC50, on the illamasqua website it states I should wear number 15, so I looked at number 15, was advised to go for 16. I got it put on, walked around london, it looked great, so I brought it.

I went home opened the bottle reapplied it, looked in the mirror with natural light and my yellow tone skin looked so red! I looked like I had been sun burnt!

The next week I went back was advised to go for the 15 and add some 17 to neutralise the red in the 15. I brought a sample pot from home, and the SA gave me a little bit of 17 to mix with my 15, that I had exchanged.

I got home and started to mix the colours to realise I needed to add 50-50 of each. So what do I do? Buy 2 foundations at £54 because they haven't designed a foundation for yellow tones girls or collect sample of 17 till my 15 finishes... A lot of hoop jumping for a £27 foundation

I'm really disappointed with the shade range of only pink/red tones for dark skin. They do have a 'neutral' which is 17, but it's to dark for my nc50 skin, and the 15 is WAY to pink and makes me look ill. Whats more confusing is there other lines have colours for yellow/golden tones, but doesn't give the coverage that I want.

All in all, if they have your shade, you will find this foundation has a satin finish, that sits on the skin well, it and feels light on the skin. The reason I'm marking it so low, is because of the shade range, that doesn't cater for woc widely enough like other leading brands.

On a positive note, the staff are friendly, and welcoming.

But as an NC50 I'm gutted. Do not fall for the hype like I did. Get a sample try it out, the decide.

Edit: I've taken one lipstick of because this foundation made my skin soooooo dry. I wore it for 2 days in total, and found I started getting dry pathes. my skin felt so sore. No amount of hydration/ face cream/ toner water helped. I was applying face cream 4 times a day, when that was falling, I started to use coconut oil. I was in so much discomfort that even smiling made my skin feel like it was going to split. I don't even have dry skin. My skin only started to feel like this after I used this product, and the worst thing is it lasted for about a week! I only used the product twice! .