Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

3.5

6% Titanium dioxide 3% Zinc Oxide Inactive Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, octldodecyl neopentanoate, butylene glycol, plyglyceryl-4 isostearate, dimethicone crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, silica, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, stearic acid, aluminum hydroxide, sodium dehydroacetate, phytantriol, hexyl laurate, triethoxycaprylysilane, nylon-12, sodium chloride, kaolin, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, polyvinylalcohol crosspolymer, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, sodium hyaluronte, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol. potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica Made in USA

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is ridiculously expensive and it sucks! It looks fine when it first goes on, then...after 3-4 hours of wear it looks horrid!!! It looks cakey and nasty, doesn't stay on oily skin at all!! I returned this a week after use and it was terrible!

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This foundation would definitely be my HG foundation if I didn't have oily skin! I would say that if you have oily skin and desire a matte finish, this is not the foundation for you. Also, I'm fully aware that this foundation doesn't advertise itself to have a matte finish, so the lippie that I took off is because of personal preference and usage, not on how the product would perform for everyone. However, for everyone who isn't looking for that perfectly matte finish, this foundation is beautiful. The shade selection is wonderful, and I was able to find something for my super pale skin with a pink undertone (something I can't find an ideal match for normally!) and it caused me absolutely no irritations, breakouts, or other problems. My only issue was that even with the use of a mattifying primer (not to mention a few more to see if my primer was the problem) and setting powder (and spray on those days where I needed some extra staying power) I could not keep my face from looking like an oil slick within the first 2 hours of wear. Coverage is flawless, formula is thick but doesn't feel heavy or greasy. Definitely a one-step foundation that doesn't require concealer, and my skin has lots of acne and stubborn redness that doesn't like to go away easily. I won't be repurchasing simply because I cannot achieve the look that I desire with this, but I hope that in the future tarte will release this in a formula that will keep me shine-free (: Overall, I recommend this product highly, just not if you're looking for oil control.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Relaxed, Medium

I fell in love with a Tarte palette and then began experimenting with the rest of the line, with high hopes for this foundation -- and I was not disappointed. I used just the tiniest bit of their primer all over clean, moisturized skin, and then applied the foundation with their foundation brush, according to the instructions on the box. It's astonishing what a beautiful finish it has, with amazing coverage. I set it with their powder and it stayed 12 hours easily. I couldn't be happier. I was doubtful about the brush but it's SO SOFT and such a pleasure to use.

I wanted to love this. It was recommended for full coverage acne by so many people but I find it still needs a powder foundation on top, and concealer. For the price, I would not repurchase but I also am not a liquid foundation person anymore. I use CC cream and mineral powder foundation.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Shade : Tan sand / Pros: blendable , easy to apply, gives a matte finish but not quite like el double wear or hourglass immaculate foundation. I love the 50ml content though . I dont know if it made me breakout but I used it during the time i was breaking out like i was a 15 yr old hormonally effed up kid. I was disappointed with the color. Yeah i know since we dont have Tarte here in down under. I had to buy onlne and sometimes when the website's product description says "yellow undertone" ITS NOT! Sometimes it's honey peachy color which was the case of this color. It didnt helped thag there are no swatches on the web or the lack of vloggers on youtube who has the same shade as mine. Everyone was wearing medium sand which would look light on me. The Tan Sand is okay if only the undertone was accurate. It covered my redness and scars. I felt that it gave me a very smooth canvas. Oil control was okay. I expected more but i know that moussey creamy foundations like Becca Ultimate coverage complexion and others will give off an amount of tackiness to it during the day maybe because of the creamy quality. It is not a cream to powder type. It's a clay foundation that feels creamy. I set it with the tarte airbrush powder foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Provides good coverage for facial scars

Went into ulta and was recommended this for good coverage with redness on my nose and melasma on cheeks and forehead. Good color match for my medium skin with yellow undertones. Usually foundations are too pink or orangey, or I end up looking ghostly and face never matches my neck! this doesn't magnify my large pores, matte formula helps with oily t-zone without being too dry for my dry patches. Does a good job with melasma coverage if you use enough. I don't use any additional concealer with it nor do I need a setting powder. Love this product! Wish it were less expensive, but the pros outweigh the cost.

My skin is oily and prone to breakouts. This doesn't stay and after 2-3 hours, it gets oily and I could see patchy of foundation missing when I was blotting oil off my face. Upon application it looks cakey. I use the beauty blender. It has no issues with other foundation. The color is nice but not the quality

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is my current go-to foundation for foolproof success. For reference I'm ~Nc25-30 with peach undertones, dry skin, PIH, melasma, and the occasional hormonal breakouts. I wear sunscreen every day and moisturise before applying Base makeup, day or night. Foundation is the most 'make or break' part of my makeup routine so I am reviewing this in super detail - sorry for the length!

Pros:
* Perfect shade match (this is so rare for me) with light-medium honey. The line focuses on undertones as well as shade so chances are you'll find a close match.
* Medium-full buildable to full coverage without looking cakey.
* Natural finish even when layered. It's off-matte bordering on satin. Mixes well with luminizers for more glowy finish (I recommend Becca SSP or MAC strobe cream to brighten it up if that's the look you're after)
* Creamy texture that spreads easily, blends smooth, doesn't streak and is so easy to apply.
* a chickpea sized drop is ample for face and neck and applied with a paddle brush or beauty blender gives full cover, or a buffing brush or fingers for a little less. It all works with no hassle. I could probably apply this with confidence in the dark!
* Can be worn without a primer and doesn't settle into pores. I've never used a water based primer with it so can't report on that, but goes well with silicone based primers like ELF, Laura Mercier and Baby Skin.
* Layers equally nicely under powder and even over powder (ala Wayne Goss method)
* Doesn't accentuate large pores or dry patches (for me - cautionary warning that many dry skinned users have reported that it does so test first if possible!), nor does it settle into fine lines under my eyes.
* Packaging is easy to dispense, sanitary, travel safe, and stands upright. I've never had the formula settle or lose its texture in almost a year. Best of all you can cut it open and scrape out every last drop unlike many of the bottled foundations.
* Removes easily with a gentle cleanser if wearing alone, but I usually have layers and eye make up so I go in with an oil cleanser most of the time.
* SPF 15 without flashback in photos. I'd still recommend wearing a better sunscreen under it though as you'd have to really pile this on to get the full SPF 15 advertised, which is pretty measly anyway.

Cons:
* Doesn't last 12 hours. It starts fading after about 8 but I live in a year-round humid, tropical climate so that may impact longevity
* It doesn't completely cover my darker melasma patches like some of the heavier full covers, (eg. EL double wear, NARS ADLW or Marc Jacobs marvellous mousse) so I still need concealer, but in Tarte's defense the feel is less heavy and finish more natural than the other three so that's a con I can easily live with.

Foundation is such a devisive product and I've tried upwards of 30, but from a utilitarian standpoint there's heaps of pros that outweigh the couple of small cons, so this is my HG for now. While I will stay on the seemingly endless hunt for the perfect formula for me (surely it's out there?!) this will be repurchased as 'old faithful' because it's so nice to my skin and that's a rare praise for my hard-tasked foundations.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I keep going back and trying this foundation again because people seem to love it, but it doesn't work for me. The color match was excellent (I have the lightest yellow based shade - I forget the name - and am usually between a NC 10-15) but the formula just doesn't work on my skin. It's thick and has a silicone/paste feel to it, and doesn't glide on well. I can see it being good for someone with oily skin, but it tends to emphasize my dryness and by the end of the day looks like a total mess on my skin. On the plus side, it does not break me out and looks nice when it's first applied.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review ? Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation by BeautyLoDown

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom